PDA

View Full Version : Calling all 18 year olds, where do you stay?

got2lovedisney
06-12-2006, 05:12 PM
My DD18 and her BF18 want to take a solo trip to Disney World. The problem we're encountering is that most hotel websites list you have to be 21 to check-in or don't list any info at all. I know they can stay at Disney World but right now, that's not in the budget so we're looking off-site.

Any suggestions? Where have you stayed that allowed 2 18-year olds to stay on their own?

Thanks for your help! :wave:

spiceycat
06-12-2006, 05:15 PM
what time are you looking at going?

you can stay at OKW for $80 to $112 a night in Sept, Oct, most of Nov and Dec, Jan.

this is a studio on WDW property.

rental cars for 18 can be expensive. plus the transportation back and forth to the airport.

with OKW Disney will take you back and forth to the airport - no charge. and WDW transportation is free.

got2lovedisney
06-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Sorry...they actually wanted to go this weekend. Rental cars aren't a problem as they would be driving up from Miami on Thursday and checking out on Sunday.

Jenn0)))
06-12-2006, 08:22 PM
When me and my parents were booking my trip, we did look to the outside but it didn't look too favorable since we're two 18 year olds, so I offered to pitch in some money and now I'm at the AKL.
I really wish you luck with this.

spiceycat
06-13-2006, 10:02 AM
you might have to go with a travel agency.

I have trouble finding an email address

this is one for the sponsor of this site
reservations@dreamsunlimitedtravel.com

or just give up and go with a value.... well there are no values for those days.

looks like sat and sun are available at Pop.
http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=htfv&itid=&itdx=&itty=&from=f

http://wdw.reservations.disney.go.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/TravelDWIBC.woa/1/wo/W7ZYPJAyFJeYY5lubobu9g/4.4

musclecar_72
06-13-2006, 10:26 AM
Your an 18 year old boys dream. Letting him take your 18 year old daughter away for the weekend and helping to find a hotel for them. :banana:

Mom of Sleepy, Bashful and BabyDoc
06-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Your an 18 year old boys dream. Letting him take your 18 year old daughter away for the weekend and helping to find a hotel for them. :banana:

just what I was thinking.........

ohiomom28
06-17-2006, 10:40 PM
just what I was thinking.........

me too...lol

hiimfiffy
06-18-2006, 01:39 AM
im 17 and ive stayed at days inn oldtown, and a vacation condo in davenport, bahama bay with my boyfriend with no problems. :) neither one even asked how old i was. also, my friends are staying at a seralago suite in kissimee right now and theyre 18 :)

Goobergal99
06-18-2006, 01:44 AM

Letting? :confused3 Last time I checked 18 year olds were adults.... :rolleyes:

If it were me, I would pay the difference for a disney resort, the convenience alone is well worth the extra :thumbsup2

anneofgreengables
06-18-2006, 02:17 AM
me too...lol

ditto.

ohiomom28
06-18-2006, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't have been allowed to go to Florida alone at 18 and stay in a hotel. I was however allowed to go with a group of friends and one of their parents and stay in a condo when I was 18.

NotUrsula
06-18-2006, 04:00 PM
I was living away from home when I was 18 - college freshman. I spoke to my mother on the phone once every two weeks or so, and saw her about 4X yearly; she didn't know one way or the other where I slept, and it really wasn't any of her business at that point. Of course, had I asked her to make my travel arrangements for me, she would probably have felt that I was inviting her opinions, which I why I never did such a thing.

At that age I was pretty poverty-stricken; when we went to FL we drove down, slept in a tent on the beach and got most of our food from nightclub happy-hour buffets. Amazing what you can scrounge when you set your mind to it.

Oh, and on the original topic; hotels will sometimes waive the age limit if the guest is a member of the hotel's frequent-guest program (or the child of a high-status member who is willing to guarantee the stay.) Wearing conservative business-type clothing and paying cash in advance tends to work fairly well at the more budget-type properties -- dress older and you may not be questioned. (ID is normally asked for to verify the CC; if you pay cash you can be anyone you want.) The reason for the age limit tends to be about possible damages, so paying a large deposit can also work; best to call the hotel directly to ask what sorts of exceptions they are willing to make.

MiaSRN62
06-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Letting? Last time I checked 18 year olds were adults....
Technically adults.....yes, but not all of them truly act as an adult. I would still have a say in the matter of my son taking a gf to FL. Considering, as parents of a full time college student, we pay for everything (food, shelter, car insurance, education, medical bills etc and etc). He has a part-time job and helps pay for his car insurance & gas for his car, but until he's out in the world on his own paying his own way I don't quite see it as so cut and clear that they are "adults". Chronologically they are, but...........
But , to the OP.....everyone knows their own chilldren and how responsible etc they are. I think alot of 18 yo's would do ok on their own but by no means all of them. I think I would have more peace of mind knowing my 18 yo was on disney property though. Some of those low budget hotels are in a slightly less desirable part of town.

DoleWhipMe
06-18-2006, 08:13 PM
I guess if the OP's son was in the armed services in Iraq coming home to visit his girlfriend would we all be thinking the exact same way. Maybe im just being cynical.. sorry for the post :wave2:

GeologyRocks
06-19-2006, 07:46 AM
I think it's pretty cool of you, got2love. I was also in college at 18, and just didn't have the kind of relationship with my mom that would let me ask her for hotel tips - but she certainly wouldn't have tried to tell me who I could/couldn't take vacations with. I stuck to her rules when I went home to visit, and that was good enough. I guess it helped that I never had to take a penny from her all through college.

got2lovedisney
06-19-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the replies...I'll call the ones you've recommended and find out.

These are good kids(If I do say so myself) and YES, I do trust my DD and her BF that's why I don't stress too much about them going on their own.(Although I worry about them checking into a dive motel that's why I was checking them all on tripadvisor) Maybe also it's because my mom trusted me enough at that age to let me go to Disney on my own. Plus, this way I know what they're up to.

As someone suggested, yes, I could pay the diff so they can stay at Pop but that wouldn't send the right message. I'm not going to carry them forever and they need to learn to stand on their own. If they think they're old enough for a solo trip...they can pay for their solo trip with the money they have budgeted that's why they're looking off-site to be economical. I think it's a good lesson.

yearbook50
07-17-2006, 05:03 PM
I stayed in a hotel when I was 17 with two other 17 years old at a place around UCF.

I'll be 20 and disney had no problem with me booking my own hotel for an upcoming trip.