PDA

View Full Version : Lovmy2girls at the Kona Cafe !

lovmy2girls
06-11-2006, 01:34 PM
The Kona Café is one of our FAVORITE places to eat. We have had the pleasure of dinning here many times. Each time has been great with fantastic food and good service.
The pics in this review are from 2 dinners and 1 breakfast. Like I said WE love this place and can’t say enough good things about it.

Here we all are ready to eat!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02094.jpg

We started off with the drinks. The girls and my mom got smoothies. My husband and I started the night off with a Lapu Lapu and an Algae Bloom Martini and also a Zombi
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02096.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02100.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02097.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02107.jpg

My husband got the Kona Chowder for starters both times at dinner. He thinks this is straight from the Tiki gods table. I tell ya, he would eat Kona Chowder the whole trip, breakfast, lunch and dinner, he says it’s that good. I had the Pot Stickers and Sticky Wings. Wow, both were great! Glad you got the warm towels to wipe up with after the wings because they are messy, but worth it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02099.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02098.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02357.jpg

The bread and olive oil dipping sauce is so good. You don’t want to fill up before the meal on this bread and sauce, but it is so good you just can’t help yourself. It just keeps calling to you “Just one more piece” and before you know it, “Could I get just one more plate of bread please!”

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02101.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02102.jpg

Hubby had the Mahi Mahi. Again, he says the Tiki gods must dine on this delicious dish. He had it both times for dinner, so no need for me to tell you how much he liked it.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02104.jpg

My mom had the Coconut Chicken the first night, and I had it on the Second night for dinner. Wonderful dish. Loved every bite! The salad that comes with it has strawberries in it and is so good with the chicken. The chicken is sweet. No need to put anything on it. My girls even had a bite and said how good it was, and for them to say that, it was something I tell ya! If chicken does not have the last name “strip” or “nugget” they usually just turn their heads, if you know what I mean.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02105.jpg

I also had the Pan Asian Pasta for dinner. Very good dish also. I really enjoyed it. Lot of veggies and big hunks of chicken mixed with noodles.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02103.jpg

Just so my girls do not feel left out, here is a pic of their pasta. They both gave thumbs up for this dish, and would order it again.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02106.jpg

Just when you think “Can it get any better??” Yes it can! After telling my husband “No, Kona Chowder is not a dessert!” We decided on the Crème Brulee, Kilahuea Torte, and the girls split a Kiddie Kone. I will let the pic speak for themselves!!
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02111.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02109.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02110.jpg

Breakfast at the Kona Cafe is always a last day tradition for us. We always eat here on our “Favorite rides day” to start off our last day in WDW on a good note! We don’t usually eat a big breakfast but always look forward to coffee and Tonga Toast at the Kona Café! Also pictured is the Big Kahuna that we all nibble on. Yes we share our food!

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02367.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g233/cadoege/DSC02366.jpg

To wrap this up, as you might have already figured out, this is one of our favorite places to eat!! We enjoy everything about the Kona Café, and being that it is in our favorite resort, just adds to our enjoyment of dinning here!

3princesses4us
06-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow~ great pics! You've made me so happy that I made ADR's for Kona in September. I can't wait to try that chocolate torte dessert and my girls were sold on it when I showed them the kiddie cone. Looks like you had a wonderful trip!

Micca
06-11-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the pics :thumbsup2 We have breakfast there and love it. We had dinner there one night, but our group was really tired and burned out.
Nothing on the menu had much appeal for us that night, but they were so accomodating they served us some basic stuff we wanted (burgers/fries) that weren't even on the menu! :earsboy:

Minniespal
06-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

WAHMto5
06-11-2006, 02:28 PM
GREAT pictures. On my list to try, always have heard great things about Kona!

TigerKat
06-11-2006, 02:35 PM
Great pics - afraid some folks might miss them - could you post them on the PICS thread? :Pinkbounc

Cocomisu
06-11-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm loving your reports and pics :thumbsup2

We love Kona too, always had such good food. Glad to see those pics of the yummy drinks :cloud9:

ktink
06-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Thanks for posting your review. We are trying Kona for the first time this Sept. Scoutsmom really sold me on Kona and this just sealed the deal ;) Could you tell me about the algea bloom martini, what all is in it? :confused3

Swimnoid
06-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I just love all your different reviews and pics! I dont go again for 189 days and I'm ready to try some of your picks! :thumbsup2

lauritagoddess
06-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Fabulous pictures and reviews!!! I have ADRs booked there for two dinners and this was great to read.

DeborahA
06-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to post pics. We are dining there for the first time in Dec. I can't wait!!
Deb

Dani&TJsMom
06-11-2006, 07:23 PM
I love reviews with pictures! Thanks so much for posting! When I made my ADRs for November, I originally wanted to try Kona, but just couldn't fit it into my schedule. But after your review and pictures, I am going to switch things around and have dinner there! Thanks again for posting! :cool1:

Aimeedyan
06-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Please tell me more about the Kona chowder (or perhaps your DH should!). I've never heard about it or seen a pic of it and I'm intrigued. What is in it?

Thanks for the reviews - we have only had breakfast there but are trying dinner and everything looks great.

lovmy2girls
06-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Thanks for posting your review. We are trying Kona for the first time this Sept. Scoutsmom really sold me on Kona and this just sealed the deal ;) Could you tell me about the algea bloom martini, what all is in it? :confused3

So Sorry, I can't remember what was in the that martini. It was good! I do remember that. Sorry!

lovmy2girls
06-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Please tell me more about the Kona chowder (or perhaps your DH should!). I've never heard about it or seen a pic of it and I'm intrigued. What is in it?

Thanks for the reviews - we have only had breakfast there but are trying dinner and everything looks great.

Disney Husband here, It’s a typical chowder (actually not so typical). Like in terms of the Caribbean and or Conch chowder or lobster chowder, kind of a bisque. This one has lobster, fish, shrimp and all manner of other things sacred to the Tiki gods of ole. I would have offered to take the cook home in an attempt to woo him or her into giving me the recipe, but as Disney Wife is reading this thread, I have to be careful I tried to get a recipe in this fashion once before and was threatened with legal action and not from the cook (my wife). Suffice it to say, if you like this sort of food (chowder, bisque) your taste buds are in for a real treat! :banana:

maggiew
06-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the review. We are going to Kona Cafe for our 4th of July meal so you gave me some great ideas!!

Maggie

juliefurr
06-11-2006, 09:09 PM
That looked soooooooooooo good. So good, in fact, I am considering making an ADR for dinner (I already have one for bfast).

YUM!!!!!!! Thank you! great job

juliefurr
06-11-2006, 09:20 PM
That looked soooooooooooo good. So good, in fact, I am considering making an ADR for dinner (I already have one for bfast).

YUM!!!!!!! Thank you! great job

daretodream
06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the great pictures! We're trying Kona for the first time in Sept. Can't wait now!!!!

Amirah95
06-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Wow...everything looked very good! :)

Aimeedyan
06-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Disney Husband here, It’s a typical chowder (actually not so typical). Like in terms of the Caribbean and or Conch chowder or lobster chowder, kind of a bisque. This one has lobster, fish, shrimp and all manner of other things sacred to the Tiki gods of ole. I would have offered to take the cook home in an attempt to woo him or her into giving me the recipe, but as Disney Wife is reading this thread, I have to be careful I tried to get a recipe in this fashion once before and was threatened with legal action and not from the cook (my wife). Suffice it to say, if you like this sort of food (chowder, bisque) your taste buds are in for a real treat! :banana:

ROFL! Thanks for the description - it sounds delicious! I'll have to be sure and try it in Sept when we head there for dinner.

Princess4Eeyore
06-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I really wanted to say THANK YOU ... you have done such a beautiful job with all your reviews - it is truly wonderful. Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us. Your photos are awesome and your family looks great. :goodvibes :thumbsup2 :love:

LuluLovesDisney
06-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Thank you!!!!

Great pics!

Kona is my favorite! I currently have four ADR"s for Kona. Breakfast and dinner in August, and lunch and breakfast in November! I can't wait!

Uncleromulus
06-12-2006, 04:30 AM
Thoroughly enjoying ALL the reviews and those pics!!!

Kaycee
06-12-2006, 04:40 AM
Kona Cafe is one of our favorite restaurants for any meal - breakfast, lunch or dinner. I can't wait to go back, especially after reading your review and seeing your fantastic pictures. :goodvibes

java
06-12-2006, 06:28 AM
From my Cooking with Mickey cookbook
Poly Seafood Chowder(Coral Isle Cafe...I think that was Kona before it became Kona)
This sounds close although no lobster in this one...

2 ounces bay shrimp cooked
2 ounces crabmeat cooked
2 ounces Albacore Tuna cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 green bell pepper diced
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup diced potatoes
4 cups clam juice
1/2 cup diced tomato
1 tsp thyme
1tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1 TBS fish bouillon
Tobasco sauce
dash Worcestershire sauce
pepper
2 tsps file powder(what the heck is that? :confused3 )

In soup pot saute carrot, celery,onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add clam juice and bring to boil. Add potatoes,tomatoes and spices and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in fish bouillon and season with tabasco, worcestershire and pepper. Add the file. Stir well and add cooked seafood.

momofdbsdc
06-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Awesome pictures and review!!! We will have to put this on our to do list! Which do you prefer, breakfast or dinner? (If you could only pick 1! :goodvibes ) Thanks for taking the time to share!!!!

Nancyg56
06-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Now I can't wait to try this one out! DSis Il and I are taking DGD in August and we have this little gem scheduled for dinner. I'm hungry just goig over the review.

bookworm61
06-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Lovmy2girls,
Thank you for your amazing reviews!! Your posts are fantastic. The photos are so helpful for planning ADRs. I feel like I got a sneak peak at the restaurants.

ktink
06-12-2006, 08:27 AM
So Sorry, I can't remember what was in the that martini. It was good! I do remember that. Sorry!

No problem, I'll just go with the fact that it was good and try it out. :thumbsup2

spookyuki
06-12-2006, 08:47 AM
Thank you!

Seeing your pictures made us change our ADR from Ohana to Kona Cafe.

My daughter loved the dessert picture!

Do kids get an appetizer?

lovmy2girls
06-12-2006, 09:16 AM
From my Cooking with Mickey cookbook
Poly Seafood Chowder(Coral Isle Cafe...I think that was Kona before it became Kona)
This sounds close although no lobster in this one...

2 ounces bay shrimp cooked
2 ounces crabmeat cooked
2 ounces Albacore Tuna cooked
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 green bell pepper diced
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/2 cup diced potatoes
4 cups clam juice
1/2 cup diced tomato
1 tsp thyme
1tsp basil
1 bay leaf
1 TBS fish bouillon
Tobasco sauce
dash Worcestershire sauce
pepper
2 tsps file powder(what the heck is that? :confused3 )

In soup pot saute carrot, celery,onions, bell pepper and garlic in butter until tender. Add clam juice and bring to boil. Add potatoes,tomatoes and spices and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in fish bouillon and season with tabasco, worcestershire and pepper. Add the file. Stir well and add cooked seafood.

Thanks for the recipe!!! :goodvibes Wait till I show my hubby this! :banana:

lovmy2girls
06-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Thank you!

Seeing your pictures made us change our ADR from Ohana to Kona Cafe.

My daughter loved the dessert picture!

Do kids get an appetizer?

You know I don't think they have a special section of kids appys, but they could get adult ones. The sticky wings are yummy!

All I can remember is the Kona Chowder, Pot Stickers, Sticky Wings, and Salad in the appy list. :)

Oh, and don't forget the bread comes with the meals. My girls loved it as much as we did. :wave:

lovmy2girls
06-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Awesome pictures and review!!! We will have to put this on our to do list! Which do you prefer, breakfast or dinner? (If you could only pick 1! :goodvibes ) Thanks for taking the time to share!!!!

Well, just make it tough why don't ya!!! :teeth: IF I just had to choose one meal, and that is a big IF because we do Kona breakfast on the last day, I would have to say dinner. I can try and duplicate the Tonga toast at home if I had to, and the big Kahuna is good an all but that is sort of normal breakfast fare. But dinner.....wow, nothing comes close here in town to the Kona dinner food, and I don't cook!!! :teeth:

jezebella
06-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Here's the actual for ya...happy cooking!

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter

1 Spanish onion, diced small

1/2 cup Carrots, diced small

1/2 cup Celery, diced small

1 oz. Garlic, minced fine

1/3 cup Tomato paste

1/2 cup Sherry

1 Tbsp. Curry paste

4 2/3 cups Water, hot

1 oz. Lobster base

1 1/2 lbs. Fish (any white fish i.e., grouper, mahi, snapper, etc) cut in 1" pieces

1 cup Milk

3 3/4 cups Heavy cream

2/3 cup Flour

3/4 stick Butter

3 cups Salad shrimp (small)

Method:

1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt 1 stick butter. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.

2. Add tomato paster and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sherry and cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Mix in curry paste until well incorporated (use the back of a spoon for spatula until no lumps of curry are left).

4. Add lobster base and hot water.

5. Add fish and gently poach.

6. Turn heat to low, add milk and heavy cream and let come to a simmer.

7. Over low heat, melt remaining butter. Add flour, stir well, and cook for about 5 minutes.

8. Take of the hot liquid from the chowder and mix it in with the butter and flour mixture until well combined.

9. Add this mixture back into the chowder.

10. Add shrimp and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until thickened.

lovmy2girls
06-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Here's the actual for ya...happy cooking!

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients:

1 stick Butter

1 Spanish onion, diced small

1/2 cup Carrots, diced small

1/2 cup Celery, diced small

1 oz. Garlic, minced fine

1/3 cup Tomato paste

1/2 cup Sherry

1 Tbsp. Curry paste

4 2/3 cups Water, hot

1 oz. Lobster base

1 1/2 lbs. Fish (any white fish i.e., grouper, mahi, snapper, etc) cut in 1" pieces

1 cup Milk

3 3/4 cups Heavy cream

2/3 cup Flour

3/4 stick Butter

3 cups Salad shrimp (small)

Method:

1. In a large stockpot over medium heat, melt 1 stick butter. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.

2. Add tomato paster and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add sherry and cook for 2-3 minutes.

3. Mix in curry paste until well incorporated (use the back of a spoon for spatula until no lumps of curry are left).

4. Add lobster base and hot water.

5. Add fish and gently poach.

6. Turn heat to low, add milk and heavy cream and let come to a simmer.

7. Over low heat, melt remaining butter. Add flour, stir well, and cook for about 5 minutes.

8. Take of the hot liquid from the chowder and mix it in with the butter and flour mixture until well combined.

9. Add this mixture back into the chowder.

10. Add shrimp and cook for approximately 15 minutes or until thickened.

Ok, Now you have taken away one of my most powerful weapons in getting my hubby to go back to WDW!
No longer can I say "Honey, but you can have Kona Chowder!" :lmao:

But Honestly, THank YOU!!

2xcited2slp
06-12-2006, 09:44 PM
oooohhh, aaaahhhh

Once again, great reviews. I had the pleasure of dining at Kona on a whim in Feb. (solo) and really felt as if I discovered a hidden gem. The pot stickers were yum. I enjoyed my meal (shrimp and scallops) but wished I had gotten the Mahi-mahi and by your pictures I will next time. Your pasta dish looks very interesting also and of course the chowder--thanks to your hubby for the adoration of it--now I want to try. I was too stuffed for dessert but that torte--ooohhh the torte!!!!

We have adrs for breakfast for our upcoming trip in October ( 14-21--I believe you will be there too--maybe same time?) and I cannot wait for my first taste of Tonga toast. No adrs for dinner though--all nights are accounted for --will have to plan another trip--oh, darn.

thanks again.

jezebella
06-12-2006, 10:25 PM
Just think of it this way..........YOU have the power...which he doesn't have to know about. Use it to your full advantage and if he doesn't give in to the "but honey you can get kona chowder", just say, but honey, if you take me back to disney, I'll give you kona chowder once a ____ (I'll let you fill in the blank on this one). :thumbsup2

lovmy2girls
06-13-2006, 12:10 AM
Just think of it this way..........YOU have the power...which he doesn't have to know about. Use it to your full advantage and if he doesn't give in to the "but honey you can get kona chowder", just say, but honey, if you take me back to disney, I'll give you kona chowder once a ____ (I'll let you fill in the blank on this one). :thumbsup2
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

4theloveofdisney
06-13-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for sharing your pics! We agree and thought Kona was one of our "best kept secrets"!

SssssHhhhhhhh!

(Hope you know that I am seriously joking!!!!) :rotfl:

Shhhh! :goodvibes

tinkerbeth
06-13-2006, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the great review. We've never been to Kona but I keep reading these great things...we might have to try it on the next trip. :)

Beth

MelanieC
06-13-2006, 08:18 AM
Great pics and review. Thanks again for taking the time!

Ozymoe
06-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Mmmmmmm....I have really enjoyed reading your review...and all the comments! I took one look at (both) recipe(s) though and decided it would be more than worth it to try the Kona Chowder at Kona rather than prepare all the ingredients. Ha! Now we'll find we love it so much I'LL be making it at home too!

GoofyGirlnPrincessV
06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Yummo! I can't wait for October to try the Tonga Toast!!! Dinner looks just as yummy! Thanks for sharing the pics too!

ro80
06-14-2006, 08:41 PM
We have ADR's for breakfast when we go in Sept. Should be go for dinner instead???? It looks sooooo good!!! :confused3

NMW
06-15-2006, 08:29 AM
We ate dinner Kona Cafe for the first time last Dec and we kept saying "why have we not eaten here before?" Needless to say, we are eating at Kona again in October. Great Pics!

cocodog
06-17-2006, 11:51 AM
Your reviews and pics are FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing with us... off to read some more......

deany
06-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I just made an ADR at Kona based on your wonderful pictures! The desserts look so good - what would you recommend, the chocolate dessert or the banana creme brulee? :flower: :flower: :flower:

lovmy2girls
06-18-2006, 09:30 PM
I just made an ADR at Kona based on your wonderful pictures! The desserts look so good - what would you recommend, the chocolate dessert or the banana creme brulee? :flower: :flower: :flower:

Disney Hubby here I would definately order the Creme brulee, But since the wife likes all that is Chocolate she would say (you guessed it) :thumbsup2 Chocolate. But the best suggection would be for every one at your table to order one dessert each and everybody SHARE :cool1:

daisy_77
06-18-2006, 10:27 PM
Thank you for your dining review of Kona! I look forward to eating there in September! I think I am gonna try the Pan Asian! That looks yummy!! :cool1: :goodvibes :thumbsup2

Ruth B
06-19-2006, 03:06 AM
Hi
where is Kona? the pictures look lovely but can't see( from any of the post) where it is?
thanks

lovmy2girls
06-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Hi
where is Kona? the pictures look lovely but can't see( from any of the post) where it is?
thanks

Inside the Polynesian GCH. Right next to ' :) Ohana

ciera321
06-21-2006, 08:54 PM
Well, I just made a dinner ADR for Kona Cafe in August. I cancelled my ADR for Spoodles and, because of your pictures, we'll be dining at Kona!!! We've had lunch there once and loved it, (I had the Kona Chowder and I agree with your DH) but I'm so looking forward to trying the Mahi Mahi and Chicken dish, as well as dessert!!! Thanks for the great reviews and pics!!! :goodvibes

Lizzybee
06-21-2006, 09:44 PM
I just have to say your reviews are fabulous! You got me trying to figure out if I could fit Kona in to our schedule in August. Slightly OT but your Lilo and Stitch/Ohana breakfast thread has me all excited to get there :thumbsup2

Disney owl
06-27-2006, 06:46 AM
another great report

ILoveDisney&Cruising
09-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Kona will be new to us on this next trip ......... thanks to your trip report, I've booked it 4-5 times for various breakfasts & dinners (for 10 day trip).

I can't WAIT to try it! EVERYTHING sounds sooooo good!!!

Also new to us on the next trip is: O'Hana's (dinner), Cape May (bkfst), Sci Fi (dinner), Artist Point (dinner), Brown Derby (dinner).

Wow, looks like we've been stuck in a rut for all our other trips. Any other places you'd recommend we try? We'll also be back for a 7-day trip in January for our anniversary.

Thanks for any input!

JESW
09-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Just so everyone knows...this is a report from last year and in august of this year they no longer had the pasta for the kids. That didn't go over well in our family...

Jill

ILoveDisney&Cruising
09-28-2007, 07:38 PM
Just so everyone knows...this is a report from last year and in august of this year they no longer had the pasta for the kids.

Sorry - I didn't notice the date until after I already posted. Bummer about the pasta -- I thought that looked fabulous, too!