PDA

View Full Version : Have I inadvertently stopped understanding the English language?

Loves Disney
06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Or has the VMK section of the Dis picked up on a new found language? lol It seems like with each passing day, I understand some posts less and less.

I have noticed a huge lack of punctuation use...has anyone else? I have also noticed countless spelling errors. Now, I am not going to complain about how awful it is to spell something wrong because I know a forum is not a professional document requiring perfect spelling. Heck, I don't spell everything perfectly, but I have seen some posts get to the point of being undistinguishable and almost foreign sounding to me. lol.

I have seen this more common to the VMK forum so could this be a result of the VMK dictionary or just the game itself? (as it is a chat game).

On a forum, is it necessary to say "plz" and "ppl" etc? I know acronyms are a huge part of online chat, but in a forum, where you are given time to think about what you are saying, does it hurt to type out a couple more letters. I don't see the pain in writing, "sorry" instead of "srry".

Now, I don't mind the small mistakes, I just find it frustrating when what I am reading looks like a secret code...

I don't know, but I always find it interesting to hear what people have to say, I just wish some would find a way to say it in the language of the board they are posting on. I don't know if I am wrong to find it annoying when I can't comprehend even a sentence of a post. Is it wrong to want to understand what someone's thoughts are? If something cannot be understood, is what is written, a waste? Surely, I don't want any kind of thoughts wasted as every thought matters and is important.

As the days move forward, I can only imagine what language we will be speaking a year from now on this forum....(if we are even still here lol). :rolleyes:

This is just something I think needs to be thought about when posting here on the Dis and not just in the VMK forum section.

I am sorry if I sounded totally discourteous, I meant this thread in the best possible light. :blush:

cteddiesgirl
06-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Well, I agree with you. It is actually one of my pet peeve's when trying to read a post and there is little to no punctuation. Or every other word is in "short" form.
And of course there's the wowidkhowtogetthisbutitsocool!
Then there is the just plain indistiguishable language that just does not make any sense no matter how hard you try to figure it out.

I can't understand why some people don't care if they are understood or not.
It also leads me to believe that some people are just plain ignorant. It's one thing when you're a child, but some of the stuff I've seen has been below what I think some of these kids should be capable of. But I do try not to judge them either by my own experience. I know that I was reading at the age of 3 and reading high school level books in the 3rd and 4th grades. But I know that most kids aren't like that. And I know that some people (kids and adults) have some slight problems with reading and writing. I also know that I'm not in any way perfect. Many times while typing I'll put ans instead of and. And many times while writing I've caught myself leaving the e off of the. lol And that's just a couple examples.

But it still boggles my mind on some of the poor grammar I've seen. And it's not just on this forum. I've seen it on several other forums and sites around the net (I should show you some messages I've been sent from adults).

If you can't take the time to make yourself understood in half way decent grammar, then don't be surprised when many people don't take you seriously. :)

HallGirl
06-06-2006, 10:55 PM
I have to agree with you, too. Forums aren't "chat". Everyone has the ability to read what they have written before they post, so why not check for stuff that doesn't make sense? You don't have to post quickly so there is no need to use shortened words like "ppl", "srry", or "plz". (I do understand using "lol" though.) If anything, people are reading the boards quickly and they don't want to try to figure out what one post is trying to say. (Loved the example you used, cteddiesgirl.) My personal pet peeve is the bad usage of "their", "there", and "they're".

lovethattink
06-06-2006, 11:26 PM
It's funny you brought up this topic. I caught myself three different times today either abbreviating or spelling a word the way I would in vmk. My grammar and spelling has gone progressively down hill over the past year.

Nanoer
06-07-2006, 12:46 AM
i only have one thing to say: ALIENS!!!!

jazstar87
06-07-2006, 12:50 AM
Front it ok, you did use titles unstead of name today :rotfl2:

hdmonkeybug
06-07-2006, 12:59 AM
Oh my God! I was just saying this earlier, in another thread! I feel ancient because I don't understand the language on here at all! It has been getting worse every day! I totally agree! Use punctuation people! Please! :teacher:

Nanoer
06-07-2006, 01:01 AM
Oh my God! I was just saying this earlier, in another thread! I feel ancient because I don't understand the language on here at all! It has been getting worse every day! I totally agree! Use punctuation people! Please! :teacher:

like ok but like no miss cuz like we like like out l33t so no ty but i think meh will stick with da coolio talk like yeah

Shaymojack
06-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Seriously... I never have understood why "srry" is used. It is ONE LETTER LESS. Is it really that time consuming to type an "o"? But my talk in VMK has gone down... I have dropped punctuation most of the time. But I have respect for need of understanding on forums.

Disney Dreams
06-07-2006, 01:27 AM
like ok but like no miss cuz like we like like out l33t so no ty but i think meh will stick with da coolio talk like yeah

And the award for completely missing the point....

Ah, why bother? I agree with the original post. I participate in many boards and this one just spins my head when trying to decode it sometimes. And to be fair, I am not talking about spelling or sentence structure like English class. I dont even mind things like "ppl," just a basic attempt to be articulate.

-Disney Dreams

Nanoer
06-07-2006, 01:28 AM
i dont get this me is meh... that's one more letter

OnceUponAStar*
06-07-2006, 01:37 AM
I couldn't agree more with you, I hate using the short terms of words on forums, but that's just me. I think I only use the short terms of words on vmk, and not even on aol. My biggest pet peeve is words that are spelled incorrectly, my brain is like, oh that is suppose to be spelled and the list goes on. :-). I'm weird with things like that. :thumbsup2

maliboomer
06-07-2006, 02:32 AM
wot r u tlking about.
evrybdy uses gramma an spellin propa here, mabe ur confuzing us 4 some1 else, lolllll.

Loves Disney
06-07-2006, 05:32 AM
wot r u tlking about.
evrybdy uses gramma an spellin propa here, mabe ur confuzing us 4 some1 else, lolllll.

Oh of course lol. Silly me for thinking it was here...lol. :rolleyes:

On a side note, it is kind of nice to see that I'm not the only who has noticed this lol.

Also, Hallgirl, I too understand the use of "lol". It shows emotion...I think I over-use it :rolleyes: lol.

UKVermonter
06-07-2006, 05:50 AM
I have a friend that when I chat with him on MSN he uses symbols or I guess they are like the smiles that are used in this forum, and when he types they are very hard to understand and I have to stop and figure out what they mean. It should not have to be so hard to figure out what a person is saying.

http://my.magicsig.com/opeweocrfe.gif (http://magicsig.com/)

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/20060728/e/Pop+Century/dt/5/k/0177/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

JeanJoe
06-07-2006, 06:28 AM
What was that you just said? I decided to translate your cryptic post into something that more readers here would understand.

OR HAS DA VMK S3CTION OF DA DIS PIKED UP ON A NU FOUND LANGUAEG??!!??!?! *** LOL IT SEMS LIEK WIT AACH PASNG DAY I UND3RSTAND SOMA POSTS L3S AND LES!!11 OMG *** LOL
I HAEV NOTIECD A HUGE LAK OF PUNCTUATION US3.HAS1!11111!!!1!!!!11!111 LOL ANYONE ALSE?!?!!!! *** LOL I HAEV ALSO NOTIECD COUNTLES SP3LNG ERORS11!!111 *** NOW IM NOT GONG 2 COMPLANE ABOUT HOW AWFUL IT IS 2 SPEL SOM3THNG WRONG B/C I KNOW A FORUM IS NOT A PROFESIONAL DOCUM3NT REQUIRNG P3RF3CT SP3LNG!!!1 HEK I DONT SPAL EVERYTHNG PERF3CT BUT I HAEV SEN SOME POSTS GET 2 DA POINT OF BNG UNDISTNGUISHABLA AND ALMOST FOREIGN SOUNDNG 2 ME1111! *** LOL
I!1!!1 *** HAEV SEN THIS MORA COMON 2 TEH VMK FORUM SO CUD THIS B A RESULT OF DA VMK DICTIONARY OR JUST DA GM3 ITS3LF?!!!?!?! OMG *** (AS IT IS A CHAT GME)1!!11 OMG
ON A FORUM IS IT N3CESARY 2 SAY PLZ AND PL 3TC?????? *** LOL I KNOW ACRONYMS R A HUGE PART OF ONLIEN CHAT BUT IN A FORUM WH3R3 U R GIEVN TIEM 2 THINK ABOUT WUT U R SAYNG DOES IT HURT 2 TYPA OUT A COUPL3 MORA L3TARS1!1!!1 *** LOL I DONT SE DA PANE IN WRITNG SORY INSTEAD OF SRY!!1!1! *** LOL
NOW I DONT MIND DA SMAL MISTAEKS I JUST FIND IT FRUSTRATNG WH3N WUT IM READNG LOKS LIEK A SECR3T CODE.
I111!!!!!1!!11!!!111 OMG *** LOL DONT KNOW BUT I ALWAYS FIND IT INT3R3STNG 2 HEAR WUT P3OPLA HAEV 2 SAY I JUST WISH SOM3 WUD FIND A WAY 2 SAY IT IN DA LANGUAEG OF TEH BOARD THEY R POSTNG ON!!!! OMG I DONT KNOW IF IM WRONG 2 FIND IT ANOYNG WH3N I CANT COMPRAHAND EVEN A SENTENCE OF A POST!!1! IS IT WRONG 2 WANT 2 UNDERSTAND WUT SOM3ONES THOUGHTS AER?!??!!?? OMG LOL IF SOM3THNG CANOT B UNDERS2D IS WUT IS WRIT3N A WASTE?!!!?!? *** SURELY I DONT WANT ANY KIND OF THOUGHTS WASTED AS 3VARY THOUGHT MAT3RS AND IS IMPORTANT!11!!! *** LOL
AS DA DAYS MOVE FORWARD I CAN ONLY IMAGIEN WUT LANGUAEG WE WIL B SP3AKNG A YEAR FROM NOW ON THIS FORUM..(IF1!1!1!!1111!!!!1!!111!1!1! *** LOL WA R EV3N STIL HARE LOL)11!! OMG ROLAYES
THIS IS JUST SOM3THNG I THINK NEDS 2 B THOUGHT ABOUT WHAN POSTNG HARE ON DA DIS AND NOT JUST IN TEH VMK FORUM SECTION1!!11111 OMG
IM SORY IF I SOUND3D 2TALY DISCOURT3OUS I MEANT THIS THREAD IN TEH BST POSIBLE LIGHT!!11! *** LOL BLUSH

Loves Disney
06-07-2006, 06:32 AM
JeanJoe, you are too much! I am sitting here cracking up like an egg!! :rotfl2: Thank you for not only waking me up this morning, but also giving me a good laugh! lol.

Laurabearz
06-07-2006, 08:27 AM
I had a teacher once tell me.... you can know everything in the whole world, but if you can't communicate with people what is the point of knowing it.... (yes english teacher lol)

I do now, that I really have to watch my numbers now... when writing outside of VMK I still do on to tree for ive etc.... and have to reread very carefully or it slips in where I dont want it too....

as for 1337 I can read it, but I cant type it.

And for the record, I think Ressies and Preggo are fine to use.... :rotfl2:

surfcruiser
06-07-2006, 08:28 AM
Eye too am dikruntulled abowt the schpelling an punchyouation awn thiz bored and ebery wear els? Runon sintenses dat nevor seam two ind and Butt eye am werking awn it. An gitting bedder aht mye schpelling ebery dae.

Seriously though, I really am a culprit. I find myself IM'ing in VMK-nese on a regular basis:

"I have a he add hurt."

"I really glove the new quest."

"I must have had a hunter red new messages.." <-notice only two dots in the ellipses.

You get the picture... and yes, I do lapse into it in everyday life. My son and I release the "Woot!" into the atmosphere for silly things like when the toaster pops up with breakfast. Not that that is a great indicator of a lack of vocabulary, just funny, as in ha ha, and weird too to people out of the VMK loop. I put it here merely to share a dry chuckle.

For some time I've noticed that with IM'ing and cell-phone-texting as part of normal 21st century communicae, a general downgrade in the use of punctuation, proper spelling, lots and lots of abbreviations, etc., etc.

ttyl,

threeboysmom
06-07-2006, 08:31 AM
What was that you just said? I decided to translate your cryptic post into something that more readers here would understand.

Be??? Again, I have to ask you this question...... Don't you have anything better to do??? LOL! Where are those boxes we talked about?? Get busy throwing them out! :rotfl2:

DaraAllen
06-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Thank heavens someone else said this! I have been going bonkers about the spelling and punctuation. OK, so I am a writer in the real world and my tolerance is way below everyone else's, but goodness gravy! There are some people on this board who have such horrible spelling, grammar and punctuation that I don't even bother reading their posts. They probably have some really good things to say, but it's like fingernails down a blackboard to me!

Grown-ups, take a few seconds to re-read what you've typed and fix some boo-boos. We lead by example. Kids, ask someone to read your post before you post it. You will only learn how to do better by receiving guidance. My to (oops, I mean 'two') cents!

jasonpwns
06-07-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi i saw this thread and would like to disagree I use english but on the internet
and with VMK having a limited chat space why do you think we say plz or ty or ttyl and with some players being kids like me i would say let them do it and by the way I only use that language on vmk where there is a limited chat space i use my normal chat on Boards because it looks better.

FunkyMonkey
06-07-2006, 09:21 AM
i only have one thing to say: ALIENS!!!!

This is the first time I'm actually agreeing with him . . . . .

mtlhddoc2
06-07-2006, 10:28 AM
jasonpwns - I believe they were only talking about this because there is no limited vocabulary here like on VMK - VMK speak, I think is perfectly acceptable on VMK. But what happens is alot of the children talk and write like that in real life, not just VMK-Speak, but Text-Speak as well. Sorry becomes sry, people becomes ppl, even ok becomes just k! Its crazy!

My wife and I talk in instant messages when I am at work sometimes, and you have no idea how angry I get with her when she purposely misspells words and goes into text speak. It make her appear less intelligent and I know she is very intelligent and smart. Writing sentences like "wat m i post ta do?" makes the person appear not just unintelligent, but stupid. This is especially so when you know the verbage is coming from an adult.

JeanJoe
06-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Be??? Again, I have to ask you this question...... Don't you have anything better to do??? LOL! Where are those boxes we talked about?? Get busy throwing them out! :rotfl2:

OK, I know I've done this before, so it's kind of lame, repeating myself... But, who else would like to hear what Pink would sound like as a Swedish Chef (http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=bork&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.disboards.com%2Fshowpost.php% 3Fp%3D12960988%26postcount%3D20)? (Click the link, and then select Dialectize...)

cteddiesgirl
06-07-2006, 11:03 AM
Sorry Nano. But you sound like you have had almost zero education.
:teeth:

Or maybe you haven't. The education system in this country stinks. :rolleyes:

(You know I'm kidding you, right?)

Say what???

:lmao: :lmao:

I had a teacher once tell me.... you can know everything in the whole world, but if you can't communicate with people what is the point of knowing it.... (yes english teacher lol)

Exactly!

Grown-ups, take a few seconds to re-read what you've typed and fix some boo-boos. We lead by example. Kids, ask someone to read your post before you post it. You will only learn how to do better by receiving guidance. My to (oops, I mean 'two') cents!
When all my own knowledge fails, I use MS Word. Helps a lot to correct spelling and grammar. :)

Dragonlord11_7
06-07-2006, 12:47 PM
JeanJoe has WAY too much time on the computer... Tell me, how long did it take to find the "dialectizer"?

Anyway, back on topic. It's obvious some people are too lazy to spell everything out. But other DIS'ers waste their time deciphering it... (It took me a minute to figure out everything in JeanJoe's quote.) On AIM, I type fast enough to type out everything while others slave over abbreviations... I have the reputation of fastest typer in my grade.

English is one of my best subjects, for a reason of course. I have a knack for spotting errors that even my OWN teacher missed!

BriarRosie
06-07-2006, 01:31 PM
OK, I know I've done this before, so it's kind of lame, repeating myself... But, who else would like to hear what Pink would sound like as a Swedish Chef (http://rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=bork&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.disboards.com%2Fshowpost.php% 3Fp%3D12960988%26postcount%3D20)? (Click the link, and then select Dialectize...)

Oh.My.Goodness. I think you've given me the BEST laugh I've had in a
while! Not only was Pink's "dialectized" post funny, but the signature
information was priceless to read, too!

"Pink is woman, hear her roar" turns into "Peenk is Vumun! Heer her ruer"
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Decoy
06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
I have ascertained that the aforementioned composition, placed at the penultimate position of this thread, has indeed tactfully addressed one of a plethora of issues on this forum.

I likewise contend daily with the insufficient punctuation, unsatisfactory grammar and overabundant implementation of abbreviations. In addition, the consistent utilization of vague or obscure acronyms and substitutions, is exceedingly vexatious and establishes an irksome level of exertion to be imperative to the consummation of my daily examination of the verbosity in this forum.

Oh yaeh adn I fnid taht msot of Y'all kan't speel reely will iether ya mite tri a spill checkr wonce innawhile to. Cuase it is so vrey hrad too reed teh jnuk ya posst smetoimes i cna hradly raed it msyelf. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Captain Brain
06-07-2006, 06:10 PM
I try to use proper English. It can get hard when you haven't been in school for a month. ;) I think that the word "plz" should be out of the dictionary. I hate the word "plz" to no end. It is so annoying!

If it's like a normal mistake like forgetting an "s" on the end of a word, I don't mind much. If you post like this: Kewl! Plz give me urs infernoz!11! That gets on my nerves.

I like reading and writing because it can boost you vocabulary, which is something the kids of today need. ;)

CaptainBrain, who says that proper English is important!

pinkgalYall
06-07-2006, 06:35 PM
I suppose i do understand the need to understand what you are saying, if that makes any sense what-so-ever.LOL. I think it is ok to use things like srry and pp, it is just easier for those who are in a hurry. Well you may notice that i do not use punctuation very often well for once in my life I am! I think its ok to use shortened versions of words but not so many codes people!! I understand lol and brb but my! Where do you come up with over half of these!

Empare
06-07-2006, 07:05 PM
I try to speak proper English. I really do. I like using OMG and BSOD. I don't have a reason why, I guess I just like these 2 for some reason. I use acronyms on a daily basis in my job. Being in the same department for a few years you realize that no one outside of my office would understand a conversation between us! For example, "please move pn 457821 into CTNG for a K&N shipment to P41." This is what I sound like every day geesh.... :p

VirtuallyMe
06-07-2006, 07:36 PM
I agree too that some awareness of what some are typing from time to time would be appreciated.

This site is an informal setting so some abbreviations like BSOD, lol, roflao, and others that are common to everyone I believe is perfectly fine- but also agree that is it really that much more difficult to type sorry or please?

Punctuation- it would be nice for a little more to be used by some- some people's posts are so difficult to read because your brain is looking for these natural stops and there are none.

Another thing that is difficult to read is what I call the block typers- who often have a lot of good information but put it all in one big paragraph without much in the form of a break between ideas. Sure they may have punctuation and proper spelling but it is all jammed together and sometimes difficult to read on a computer screen- especially for those who are reading while doing other activities.

I have been a member of many boards- and one had a rule about the "Chat speak" in messages- and one moderator was really irked by it more than others- she would go around deleting the posts- I usually just made a comment about the post would be easier to understand and more may respond to their comment if they took the time to write it legibly.

Now I'd also like to say that everyone makes errors- you may have a few typos or words spelled wrong, some subject verb disagreements (:) ), and other minor faux pas that really are understandible- I don't think anyone expects perfection from all- just take a little time to look at what you are doing -if you know you have a problem with spelling- then spell check before you send, reread to make sure you can understand what you just wrote.

And if you find you don't have the time to be considerate to others by doing these few little things- then maybe you should consider another way to occupy your short time instead of posting... just a thought there

Loves Disney
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Virtuallyme, maybe you should have started this thread because that is EXACTLY what I wanted to say. I agree with you Wholeheartedly! ;)

pinkgalYall
06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Very nice, that is what i was trying to get at but some people are better with words that me. lol!

cteddiesgirl
06-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Another thing that is difficult to read is what I call the block typers- who often have a lot of good information but put it all in one big paragraph without much in the form of a break between ideas. Sure they may have punctuation and proper spelling but it is all jammed together and sometimes difficult to read on a computer screen- especially for those who are reading while doing other activities.

I will admit that I'm sometimes guilty of this very thing. I've always had problems with trying to figure out where end the paragraph! :teeth:

hdmonkeybug
06-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Hi i saw this thread and would like to disagree I use english but on the internet
and with VMK having a limited chat space why do you think we say plz or ty or ttyl and with some players being kids like me i would say let them do it and by the way I only use that language on vmk where there is a limited chat space i use my normal chat on Boards because it looks better.

Not to be mean, but that was the longest run on sentence I have ever seen! You tried to use punctuation, but used it only at the end. I couldn't breathe by the time I got to the end. This is exactly what this thread is talking about. I understand that you are a kid. The point was that using this on vmk is one thing, but on boards, we should try to at least make sentences.

hdmonkeybug
06-08-2006, 03:35 AM

Now this is the funniest site I have seen in awhile! Thanks for the laughs! :rotfl2:

Loves Disney
07-06-2006, 06:34 PM
I know this thread is over a month old, but I am seeing posts, recently, that are possibly even more ambiguous than before lol. Instead of restating myself, I thought I'd just post on this thread (to avoid repeats not just in threads, but what I write as well.) :thumbsup2

AdioSkater
07-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Wat is wrng with chu!? front, every1 types goods and nice. I don'ts understand when you say peeps type bads. can you pls helps me understands?! Tys. srry!

LOL wow it was very difficult for me to type like that. I have noticed that instead of real numbers, people are using words like to or tea. I have caught myself doing it a few times. I think vmk is making all of us dumber.

Nanoer
07-06-2006, 06:47 PM
hER3 tRy R3aDIN9 Th1$! tHI5 83 LEE+ DONT J00 kNOw 3VErY0n3 TYpe5 L1kE tHIS n0w? 1t'$ Wh@T'5 n3W 4nD c0ol! Yo $ee mY AWE$0M3 5KILlZ?? yuP 5k1lLZ

jazstar87
07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Uh, yeah... Maybe the staff is seeing that vmk is making everyone dumber, so we are not allowed to dictionary dance!;)

Loves Disney
07-06-2006, 06:50 PM
Wat is wrng with chu!? front, every1 types goods and nice. I don'ts understand when you say peeps type bads. can you pls helps me understands?! Tys. srry!

LOL wow it was very difficult for me to type like that. I have noticed that instead of real numbers, people are using words like to or tea. I have caught myself doing it a few times. I think vmk is making all of us dumber.

Haha Skater! You're learning the language of Alien and I! I'm so proud... :rotfl: (And I know darn well how difficult it is to write like that!! -- Just ask Alien how long it takes for me to respond :rotfl2: )

moikturtle
07-06-2006, 06:52 PM
I don't understand why some people, on the game and elsewhere tend to substitute "I" with "me". They'll say something like "me like cheese" instead of "I like cheese." It makes absolutely no sense. Especially since the word "I" is completely allowed. Whenever I catch people doing that I'm always like "why can't you use 'I' like a normal person??"...but I never get any response. Sigh.

Also, I HATE "plz". If someone asks for something, the minute they start up with the "plz plz plz plz" their chances of getting it from me are completely gone.

I don't know. For all the "values" that VMK is trying to teach kids, spelling, grammar, and proper speaking are not among them. I know that if you spell a word wrong it won't let you put it through, but the fact that everyone dictionary dances I think has ruined some of the young childrens' perceptions of proper spelling of basic words like "two".

AdioSkater
07-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Haha Skater! You're learning the language of Alien and I! I'm so proud... :rotfl: (And I know darn well how difficult it is to write like that!! -- Just ask Alien how long it takes for me to respond :rotfl2: )

LOL just reading the posts that you two make gives me a headache. It is funny but very confusing.

maliboomer
07-06-2006, 07:27 PM
So tihs ins't a good tmie to birng up taht wlhoe olny nniedeg the frist and lsat leterts tnigg, fnort?

macntosh
07-06-2006, 07:31 PM
Actchualy there iz talk to change the way we spell to phuneticly, bekaus english is much harder to learn to spell then other languages that spell that way. I red a story about it the other day. To bad I cant tipe that way though.

HeDiedxILive
07-06-2006, 07:41 PM
i totaly hat is when ppl dont use punctation n have all these crzy spelling mistake goin on it is completly annyin i mean i hat not bein able to understnd wat ppl are sayin it compleyt takes the pint away it makes me so mad how bout u

....Just kidding. :rotfl2:

I haven't read the whole thread. So I bet doing that on purpose is so old by now, that it has become really obnoxious. Sorry guys :rolleyes:

dancegrl1093
07-06-2006, 08:19 PM
i'm part fo the problem! sorry! i can't make a post without saying ppl or plz or something else.

Saxsoon
07-06-2006, 08:20 PM
You have obviously never been to video game websites where some people who think it is hilarious to be using 133t. z0/\/\g, th3y p\/\/nd u n00b. r0f1c0p+3r. one 1111111111 one

Or the blatant misspelling that some people have done on this thread already. oH lok at teh noob woh jist pwned hisself fir speking. rofl lololololololololololol. :confused3

I especially love to see it in the political, religious, or other hot topic debates on the CB and it completely discredits their entire point. :rotfl2: It is like a train wreck. You have to watch. I wish I had a link to this one who was typing like a five year old.
h@\/3 fu/\/ @11!

Loves Disney
07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
Actchualy there iz talk to change the way we spell to phuneticly, bekaus english is much harder to learn to spell then other languages that spell that way. I red a story about it the other day. To bad I cant tipe that way though.

I've heard of that! I have also heard that there are classes in college that teach it...

...quick, enroll me into THAT class! :rolleyes: :rotfl2:

cteddiesgirl
07-06-2006, 08:58 PM
I've heard of that! I have also heard that there are classes in college that teach it...

...quick, enroll me into THAT class! :rolleyes: :rotfl2:
No thanks. I'll keep my somewhat proper English, please.
I'd much rather enroll in an actual foreign language class like German, Japanese or Russian. I'd even be interested in getting back into Chinese.

But never the leet or so called phonetic spelling classes.

Saxsoon
07-06-2006, 09:14 PM
No, no, cteddiesgirl, it is 133t, not leet. Gosh, what is coming to today's internet! :rotfl2: Don't people know how to talk on the internet. :rotfl2:

Loves Disney
07-06-2006, 09:16 PM
No thanks. I'll keep my somewhat proper English, please.
I'd much rather enroll in an actual foreign language class like German, Japanese or Russian. I'd even be interested in getting back into Chinese.

But never the leet or so called phonetic spelling classes.

Well I, personally, was only kidding lol. ;)

moikturtle
07-06-2006, 10:28 PM

There are actually phonetics courses in college. I took a number of them, since I was an Anthropology major who strongly considered minoring in Linguistics. There's specific phonetic alphabets, that, in Anthro are mostly used for transcribing languages that are being learned/observed. The only problem with this is that there are many different official phonetic alphabets, depending on where you are and such. I ended up learning one version for one class, and then a later class had some differences. It was fun though.

cteddiesgirl
07-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I know you were.
But I wasn't. ;)

Loves Disney
07-06-2006, 11:51 PM
There are actually phonetics courses in college. I took a number of them, since I was an Anthropology major who strongly considered minoring in Linguistics. There's specific phonetic alphabets, that, in Anthro are mostly used for transcribing languages that are being learned/observed. The only problem with this is that there are many different official phonetic alphabets, depending on where you are and such. I ended up learning one version for one class, and then a later class had some differences. It was fun though.

I know there are...(I was kidding about enrolling in it lol). That is pretty awesome what you did! Very interesting... ;)

Dashzap
07-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Heck, I don't spell everything perfect

Don't you mean that you don't spell everything perfectly?

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I couldn't resist.

Disney Dreams
07-07-2006, 12:51 AM
hER3 tRy R3aDIN9 Th1$! tHI5 83 LEE+ DONT J00 kNOw 3VErY0n3 TYpe5 L1kE tHIS n0w? 1t'$ Wh@T'5 n3W 4nD c0ol! Yo $ee mY AWE$0M3 5KILlZ?? yuP 5k1lLZ

Let's hear it for 133t! :cool1:

Oh, and allow me to introduce everyone here to my 2 best friends:
. and , - use them... please. They help prevent headaches. :)

Loves Disney
07-07-2006, 08:23 AM
Don't you mean that you don't spell everything perfectly?

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I couldn't resist.

:rotfl2: I meant it to be that way....shhhh :rotfl2: (That's my story and I'm sticking with it!! :teeth: ) :rotfl2:

Loves Disney
07-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Let's hear it for 133t! :cool1:

Oh, and allow me to introduce everyone here to my 2 best friends:
. and , - use them... please. They help prevent headaches. :)

...Side effects include more finger movement, thinking and may cause an increased intelligence. lol

maliboomer
07-07-2006, 08:37 AM
i still dont thnk we hve a pr0blm... meh

CapEldano2
07-07-2006, 08:50 AM
this is interesting cause one of the headlines on Yahoo news is that people ae trying to get the entire english language to be re-spelled to how the words sound (example: confyoosed) and no i am not kidding..that is completely stupid, its almost embarrasing that we are one of the only countries who are considering changing the language we have had for about 230 years (isn't that what the vmk quest said? lol) I think that not enough people take the time to think about what they write and how they spell it.. and in the real world you need to put time and effort into those things.. if you show up at a job interview with the wrong use of "there" for example, it can sometimes cost you your job in some fields..

Loves Disney
07-07-2006, 09:01 AM
Cap, the English language dates back much further...people in England weren't speaking Italian, Spanish or any other language...they spoke English.

I suppose my title of the thread isn't that I have stopped understanding the language...I just don't understand the new one... :rolleyes:

CapEldano2
07-07-2006, 09:18 AM
Cap, the English language dates back much further...people in England weren't speaking Italian, Spanish or any other language...they spoke English.

I suppose my title of the thread isn't that I have stopped understanding the language...I just don't understand the new one... :rolleyes:
yea, you're right.. i thought of that after the fact I put the information out there..

Cpt.JackSpearow
07-07-2006, 09:20 AM
it ok,

LOL there is an example no offence. :rotfl: