PDA

View Full Version : Space Bags in luggage?

TurnR@TheMouseHouse
06-05-2006, 08:30 AM
Has anyone ever packed with Space Bags. On an upcoming trip I plan to bring some items to friend I will not be returning with. To save space I thought about using space bags. I called the airline to inquire about this and they were of little or not help as far as any restrictions or rules.

Anyone know if there is a reason these are not a good idea?

buzzgirls&dad
06-05-2006, 08:51 AM
My mom used these for a trip to Hawaii and they were great for packing, she got in alot of extra stuff HOWEVER, when she got to the airport her luggage was way over the weight limit. With everthing in the bags there was noway to try and redistribute it either. So they made her pay the $50 fee. Also upon coming back she did not have a vacuum so she had to roll the air out so her bags were bigger on the return. Just a few things to beware of. Good luck.

seashoreCM
06-05-2006, 08:53 AM
If one becomes unvacuumed say at the security checkpoint, can you still get by without stomping on the suitcase to make it close?

I found that segregating items in plastic bags (no vacuum) was cumbersome because the overall shapes tended not to fit in the suitcase while items handled individually were easier to manage.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

TurnR@TheMouseHouse
06-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks. I did consider the weight issue. Need to be mindful of that. :thumbsup2

TurnR@TheMouseHouse
06-05-2006, 09:09 AM
seashore,

That's my concern. Having a problem at the airport. That is why I was curious to others experiences with them and air travel. :wave:

MeLaNie9
06-05-2006, 03:27 PM
We used SpaceBags for our WDW trip in mid-May. Since we packed snacks, breakfast foods, diapers, and wipes (things we weren't going to be bringing home)we needed more space on our trip there than our trip back. I had purchased a pack of SpaceBags (multiple sizes) for home storage last year and it contained 4 travel sized bags. These were absolutely perfect for this trip. You do not use a vacuum for these, you actually roll the air out of them through one-way valves. They are the perfect size for shorts and t-shirts and kids clothes. They only become "un-vacuumed" if you don't zip the zipper all the way closed, and you will know this right away while rolling. We were mindful of the luggage weight limit and did weigh our bags periodically as we packed. DH had an overweight piece of luggage in the past - what a nightmare (not due to SpaceBags, but due to his over-packing issues). :cloud9:

pepe of ohio
06-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I was a non believer, how could they save any space or how far can you compress clothes. Well, I purchased the travel bags that you just rool the air out a one way valve and put all my travel clothes on a bed and commenced to stuff them in the bags and roll the air out. It helps if you start rolling and then press the bag against the side of a bed to get the air our plus keep the bag flat and not curled. My pile of stuff was reduced to nothing and like the other poster stated, watch so you don't overpack and go over weight, you have tons of room left in a suitcase using these bags.

Next trip, my wife wanted some too, cause she seen what my bag looked like, I could have taken a smaller suitcase for the same amount of stuff I normally take using the space bags. She used hers and is a born believer too.

DizChick05
06-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Space bags are really easy, but the weight issue is a problem if you don't want a hassle at the airport. Great for people who drive a long distance, and for big families who don't want to carry extra bags around.

MNfamilycruiser
06-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Has anyone ever packed with Space Bags. On an upcoming trip I plan to bring some items to friend I will not be returning with. To save space I thought about using space bags. I called the airline to inquire about this and they were of little or not help as far as any restrictions or rules.

Anyone know if there is a reason these are not a good idea?
If you already have them - use them. But these days you can buy so many different sizes of "ziploc" type bags that do the same thing cheaper!
The 2 or 2.5 gallon size are great for adult clothing, the 1 gallon work for smaller kids stuff or assorted other stuff.
You can frequently use them for a trip or two before they don't stay shut - you just squeeze the air out yourself for the vacuum effect!

I would guess if you search these forums for "ziploc" bags you will find lots of information and "testimonials"!

TurnR@TheMouseHouse
06-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I have them so I think for this trip I will use them.

As far as weight, well I have learned to weigh my bags before leaving home to avoid any issues at check in.

NotUrsula
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
The easiest way to deal with the weight issue is to toss an empty zip-up cloth duffel in on top, with a luggage tag already on it. If the case is too heavy, pull out a couple of the space bags and put them in the duffel, then check them both. It only takes seconds when you have the contents already in the space bags. When you claim the bags just stop and reconsolidate before you leave baggage claim.

ZoZo
06-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Just be aware that there are two different types of space bags: one meant for travel (that you just "roll" the air out of) and one meant for home use (that you use a vacuum to suck the air out of).

I may be in the minority, but I didn't find that space bags saved much more space than just tightly rolling my clothes. I tried both ways last trip, with exactly the same clothes, and decided to roll instead. Worked great!

(I do use the 2-gallon ziploc for my underclothes, though - that way, if airport security has to open your luggage, they're not pawing through your "unmentionables!")

justplaingoofy
06-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I used to use the travel space bags, but found it easier to pack with the large zip lock bags. I put an outfit in each bag including socks, underwear, etc and roll the air out.. I found the ones with the "zipper" don't seal as well.