PDA

View Full Version : I survived the Nick hotel

lmnholds
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
we stayed at the Nick hotel for 2 nights last week. If you ask me it was two night too many!! First, I'll just say that my kids loved it. My ds age 6 and dd age 3 thought it was better than any hotel they've ever been to. I thought it was a nightmare. It is the loudest hotel I've ever been to. Not just in the lobby, the mall and the pool, it was even loud in the room. The walls were paper thin and I could hear evey toilet flush, person sneeze, baby cry etc... There were kids screaming and running past the room at all hours of day and night. The room felt dirty to me too. we had ants all over. not just by the kitchen area either. They were in the bathroom and near the couch too.
The pools were so crowded and the lifeguards were very cranky and constantly blowing their whistles and yelling at kids. The food was what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn.
I couldn't wait to get the heck out of that place. The only posistive thing I can say was the character breakfast was very cute. And of course i'm glad my kids had fun but i will never go back and I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone.

Gillian
06-04-2006, 07:24 PM
oooh...my 2 year old DD loves ants!

Thanks for the honest review. That's exactly how I imagine it to be (minus the ants)!

kilee
06-04-2006, 10:07 PM
I've looked at this resort before when it was HIFS. No real interest since it switched to the Nick Hotel, since my baby is 13. Thank you for sharing.

thatmom
06-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hi,
I'm sorry this was not a good time for you. But at least the kids had fun.
You have just proved to me that timing is everything. Most of the complaints are threw the busy season. We are going back but will stick with the first of Dec. We truly had a magical time there.
It's so funny it seems that we are going to two different hotels j ust because of the time of year.
After all the reports I wouldn't go anytime school is out.
Sorry your time at my favorite hotel wasn't so great for you.
Carla

Cindy's Mom
06-07-2006, 02:30 PM
we stayed at the Nick hotel for 2 nights last week. If you ask me it was two night too many!! First, I'll just say that my kids loved it. My ds age 6 and dd age 3 thought it was better than any hotel they've ever been to. I thought it was a nightmare. It is the loudest hotel I've ever been to. Not just in the lobby, the mall and the pool, it was even loud in the room. The walls were paper thin and I could hear evey toilet flush, person sneeze, baby cry etc... There were kids screaming and running past the room at all hours of day and night. The room felt dirty to me too. we had ants all over. not just by the kitchen area either. They were in the bathroom and near the couch too.
The pools were so crowded and the lifeguards were very cranky and constantly blowing their whistles and yelling at kids. The food was what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn.
I couldn't wait to get the heck out of that place. The only posistive thing I can say was the character breakfast was very cute. And of course i'm glad my kids had fun but i will never go back and I would not reccommend this hotel to anyone.

Wow, that is what our trip was too - EXACTLY - I just posted a similar (yours is better) review on another thread just now. But we had the pleasure of 5 nights...ugg

jwfla422
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Sorry to hear, my 2 biggest pet peeves at hotels:
1. loud rooms with loud people running by
2. ants...I just hate them in my hotel room, we have enough problems with them at home, the last thing we want on vacation is ...more ants!! This is a fact of FL but I don't like them in my hotel room!! EEKKK!

Amirah95
06-07-2006, 11:11 PM
My DH took one look at it and said no. I'm glad he voted against it after hearing your stories.

lkohawaii
06-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear, my 2 biggest pet peeves at hotels:
1. loud rooms with loud people running by
2. ants...I just hate them in my hotel room, we have enough problems with them at home, the last thing we want on vacation is ...more ants!! This is a fact of FL but I don't like them in my hotel room!! EEKKK!

We're staying here in Oct. We're going to Florida not because of WDW but because my daughter need to celebrate her birthday at the Nick Hotel. So, we travel from Hawaii to Orlando to the Nick Hotel. Of course we're going to WDW. So, no way out of staying there. The ants part now I don't pay to sleep with ants. What would happen if you said something to the front desk? Would they have done something about it. Just trying to figure out what to do before I go.

msblrobs
06-08-2006, 10:41 AM
Thanks so much for the reivew. I have one night booked here for 12/03 just for the kids. I expect to hate it just as much as you did. The things we mom's do for the sake of our children!! :rotfl2:

thatmom
06-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi,
Well, I'm bet you will be disappointed.... and will love It!!!!!!
We sure did,
Carla

Snoopymom
06-08-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the report.

Next time you ought to try the Hard Rock Hotel at Universal. Just back and I think it's a great adult/kid compromise! We loved it. The pool has a dj with hoolahoop contests, songs and stuff for the kids to do. It has underwater music, it's zero entry, only 3 feet deep with a slide, and they have movies on a big screen on Friday nights. Kids love the rock star theme, but it's classy and nice so we felt like it was our vacation too. :goodvibes

momoftwodisneykids
06-23-2006, 12:41 PM
Thanks so much for the reivew. I have one night booked here for 12/03 just for the kids. I expect to hate it just as much as you did. The things we mom's do for the sake of our children!! :rotfl2:

You are a better mom than I am! You couldn't pay me enough money to stay here. I can stay at a deluxe hotel at WDW for the prices they are getting for the Nick Hotel. My 14 year old keeps begging me to go. I told him to try and talk his grandparents into taking him because there is NO chance I ever will.

Joanne :D

clm3
06-23-2006, 05:46 PM
You have me so excited about our trip next June :rolleyes:. We are also going only for the our younger two kids (stopping & resting point on the way back from the Keys). My DS 14 has no interest whatsoever. I'm sure he'll be locked up in the room with DH hiding from all the kids at the pool.

Hopefully the ants will be gone by then :rolleyes2

traci
06-23-2006, 06:15 PM
:rotfl: Even though my little ones are still too young to try to persuade us to stay there (ages 1 & 2) I was just telling my husband I don't look forward to the day of them asking/begging to spend the night at that hotel! If I were a kid I can see how it could be heaven on earth! We will just have to do our best to encourage them to want to stay somewhere else...like the Grand Floridian maybe (wink!) :rotfl:

mamalle
06-24-2006, 06:45 AM
we are leaving in the morning and the kids are ready to burst! the only thing that can really ruin the trip is the weather! looks to be a nice depression out there. Hopefully it will be like any other orlando afternoon- thundershowers for a short time.. :)

pershing
06-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I was going to book 2 nights in April before Eastern Cruise on Magic. Now if I can get away with just booking Thurs. night, I think I will! We can drive to the Port late Friday night and stay at one of the Port Hotels!

One question: if check-out is around 11, can you still stay and use the pools for the rest of the day? Or rather, is there any way for them to tell that you've checked out?

Marie17
06-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I still prefer to stay at Disney hotels but am always willing to try other hotels in Orlando.

TerBear4
06-26-2006, 02:22 PM
One question: if check-out is around 11, can you still stay and use the pools for the rest of the day? Or rather, is there any way for them to tell that you've checked out?

Once you check out you can still hang around the hotel and use the facilities. They give you an armband to wear while you are there. The armband can stay on as long as you want it to. No one will know if you have checked out or not.

My daughter is still wearing her armband, 48 hours later!!!! She loved the hotel and wants to keep the memory going for as long as she can! :)

CathrynRose
06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
We stayed at this hotel when in was the HIFS back in September 2003.

We couldnt have been MORE pleased with it. *Especially* considering we got the room on an Entertainment Rate of ****drumroll folks**** $76/night! YOWSA - and they offered the Free Hot Breakfast Buffet every morning - which, although it wasnt gourmet, it was tasty and filling.

It's a shame its gone down hill (and pricier) it truly is. Staying at the HIFS was my first time OFFsite and I was worried sick about it - and left so pleased with my decision.

How much is this joint going for, now???

mamalle
06-26-2006, 04:05 PM
we just got back today and was so so for us. granted the weather played a factor in it but for the price- honestly- its not worth it. maybe for $125 but not for $220 plus tax. the staff was nice and the room okay but not what we really had hoped for our trip. oh well, you live and learn!

lkohawaii
06-26-2006, 07:06 PM
we just got back today and was so so for us. granted the weather played a factor in it but for the price- honestly- its not worth it. maybe for $125 but not for $220 plus tax. the staff was nice and the room okay but not what we really had hoped for our trip. oh well, you live and learn!

Can I ask what kind of room you got? I requested a Sponge Bob room but now have seen that you can pay extra to get a SpongeBob Suite. Am trying to decide wheter it's worth another $20 per night.

mamalle
06-26-2006, 07:11 PM
spongebob suite. it was $20 more per night.

lkohawaii
06-27-2006, 03:53 AM
Thanks....would you pay for the upgrade again...I'm guessing not from your post. Do you know if I can upgrade once I get there?

mamalle
06-27-2006, 06:38 AM
If the rate was around $125 I would but the kids honestly would enjoy any theme as long as there were bunkbeds. there was a picture of patrick on the wall next to their room and inside a mural of spongebob. that was about it. the bedding was just plain not themed at all. I guess you could try at check in to upgrade and my tip- sign up for that priority club thing.thank god I did that prior to our arrival the priority club check in wasnt as long as the other check in line. it still took alittle time but much shorter than what the others had to wait it.. have fun!

Chilehead Too
06-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I understand totally how you feel. We had one night booked there and it was more than enough. The wee one really liked it but it was just not for me. Too loud, garish, dirty, and worn.

There are very few hotels I come down on heavy, but this is the worst. For the price, you can stay somewhere really nice.

But as some have said, its all for the kids. (at least its out of their system) although my little guy thinks he is having his birthday there ;) shh don't tell him is is so wrong.

lkohawaii
06-27-2006, 04:10 PM
If the rate was around $125 I would but the kids honestly would enjoy any theme as long as there were bunkbeds. there was a picture of patrick on the wall next to their room and inside a mural of spongebob. that was about it. the bedding was just plain not themed at all. I guess you could try at check in to upgrade and my tip- sign up for that priority club thing.thank god I did that prior to our arrival the priority club check in wasnt as long as the other check in line. it still took alittle time but much shorter than what the others had to wait it.. have fun!

Thanks I booked with DU I think...well they're the sponsers of one of the boards. I'll have to e mail Bob and tell him to put my priority number on my ressie. When I check there is no number. You know I didn't even think of giving him my priority club number. I guess I will wait until I get there to see what kind of room I get. I am getting a good price somewhere in the hundreds because I'm going on a Wed. Thur. night. The DIS member Bob told me about the rate and I booked with him.

jobie61
07-05-2006, 03:21 PM
This hotel was so much better when it was the Holiday Inn Family Suites and Resort. The NickHotel theme has just ruined the place, at least for the adults. I tried it once as the Nick Hotel and will never go back. It was a lot cheaper back then and the breakfast was included.

Schmeck
07-06-2006, 06:55 PM
$220 a night? You can get Wilderness Lodge or AKL for about that price, can't you? Yikes!

I've never stayed off property, but had thought about the Nick Hotel a while ago. Glad we didn't stay there, I guess!

justkeepswimmin
07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
This really is a love it or hate it kind of place. We LOVED it. Yes it was loud, no it was not geared to adults so these are negatives for some. The thing is our kids had the best time ever there. They were all smiles and no whining, they had their very own space when we came back to the room and all of them (we went with another family) STILL talk about it. For me, watching my kids have the time of their life is worth not having quiet or luxury ammenities. I had a great time because our kids were having fun and getting along with each other and not exhausted from being dragged around a themepark all day. I read a book, relaxed and had more "adult" time here than I have staying at quieter hotels. Our kids were completely entertained from the moment we arrived.

lovindonald
07-07-2006, 10:49 AM
We stayed there last August for a week and can't wait to get back there. It is the ONLY place my kids want to go. I liked it much better (and it was much cheaper) than the Disney resorts. I paid a fortune to stay at the Beach club the year before and it was a nightmare between rude cast members, crappy rooms and smokers in the non-smoking wing on the balcony. Our bathing suits reeked of smoke when we put them out to dry. We had no problems of ants. I think you have to expect that there are kids everywhere especially on the weekends in a kid hotel. I am not sure what you expected. I will say that we did not hear other people in the rooms or have them running around outside all night long. We had a great experience and will be going back for more fun soon! Sorry you didn't enjoy.

DawnM
07-07-2006, 11:31 AM
We have never stayed here and have no desire to. The cost is prohibitive and when we drove to the hotel to look around the lady at the booth to check cars going in said (very rudely!) "We don't LET people just wander around our hotel. I can't give you a pass for your car. This is for hotel guests only!"

We turned right around and never went back.

Dawn

jobie61
07-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I didn't hate the Nick Hotel, I just thought it was much better without the Nick Stuff associated with it. Even my kids 10 and 7 liked the hotel better when it was the Holiday Inn Family Suites. The rooms are perfect for families with kids, the 2 bedroom kidsuite especially. Each had their own space. But at 200.00 a night for a loud garish hotel..... You could do better else where, even on-site.

We have elected to do connecting rooms a POFQ, instead of the two bedroom kid suite. It will be around the same money, only we got the dining plan included for free.

If you want to still see the hotel, book two nights there and move elsewhere (OnSite or Offsite).

dtauer
07-07-2006, 01:11 PM
I didn't hate the Nick Hotel, I just thought it was much better without the Nick Stuff associated with it. Even my kids 10 and 7 liked the hotel better when it was the Holiday Inn Family Suites.

I completely agree. We stayed at this hotel when it was the Family Suites and loved it. In fact, we stayed there 2 different times. Once the prices started going up, and we could stay in a Disney hotel for the same or less money, we decided it was no longer for us.

Back when it was HIFS, at around $100-$120 a night, it was a favorite of ours.