PDA

View Full Version : If you liked the Nick..... what were the bad parts?

Papa Deuce
06-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Even if you liked the Nickelodeon, were there any things you REALLY hated about it? I keep reading about bad food. And id "kids eat free", does that mean for any and all meals except character meals?

Also, if you were there for 7 nights, would you still want to have a car?

Thinking early December trip.

Nascia
06-04-2006, 06:12 PM
We stayed for 12 nights in May and really enjoyed the hotel. From our experience the kids do not eat free at the A&W, Subway, Pizza Hut or character meals. Most of the food was decent, we did have a few meals at the A&W that were horrible. They also messed our order up a few times too, (on one occassion it took 4 times before it was right :sad2: ).

We had our own car and never used the transportation provided. The schedule looked a bit limited, but then again we were there in the off season. I would imagine they would increase it during peak times.

The only thing we experienced that made us question returning was the excessive drinking and smoking on the weekends (the weekdays were great). It was difficult to find seating at the pool away from the smoke. They were quite a few people that had obviously had to much to drink and showed some not so kid friendly behavior, likewise their kids were acting like most, not all, kids do when they get together unsupervised :confused3 .

Overall we had a great time. :cheer2: Housekeeping did a great job and a majority of the staff we encountered were very friendly. The boys had a blast at the pools and loved the Studio Shows.

thatmom
06-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi,
We all went 22 of us in early Dec. Best time ever. We had know troulbe with drunks or smoking. We stayed over a week and only used the shuttles. We had know problem getting to the parks . We took cabs home sometimes because we didn't want to wait.
The weather was perfect and we did the parks on week days and stayed the weekends at the hotel all day.
We can't wait to go back.
I think you picked the best time to go. Most of the complaining is from the families who go at high season. But to go in Dec. we had to keep the kids out of school. They didn't mind.
Carla

3darlings
06-06-2006, 11:29 AM
The only thing I would be concerned about at that time is the temperature of the water at the slides. We went in late March and the water was very cold. They are not heated like the pools (which were fine). I tried to go on but there was no way. My kids went on for awhile but then even they got too cold. It was cool and breezy when we were there.

Other than that, we had a great time. We did the dinner buffet (which was kids eat free for kids 12 and under). Our waitress let our 13 yr. old eat for $5. We all thought it was pretty good quality and good selection (except desserts). We were pleasantly surprised. We ate breakfast and lunch in our suite. I went to the Walmart 5 minutes away and got breakfast/lunch/snack foods. The refrigerator was very handy for those.

Only the buffet is kids eat free. The restaurants in the food court (pizza hut, etc.) and the character breakast are not kids eat free.

I personally wouldn't want to stay there for 7 days without a car. There is nothing really within walking distance. I like the flexilibility of having a car.

sameyeyam
06-06-2006, 11:44 AM
We were there a couple of years ago right after the Nick remodel. We found it hard to shut our door (parking lot side) when the wind was blowing. It didn't latch all the way and the door was fairly light. We came home one night and found our door partially open! Obviously it was our fault, but when one is on vacation and in an unfamiliar place, making sure to pull hard on the door so it would latch was not easy to remember.

We had a rental car and ate elsewhere. IMHO the dining area did not look overly sanitary or clean. I'm not an overly picky person, so for me to have concerns about the cleanliness tells me something! (The 3 second rule lives in our household!).

Overall we found the hotel to be ok -- pools were great, Nick entertainment by pools was great for kids, rooms were nice, food court seemed not real great.

lastminutemom
06-06-2006, 06:23 PM
The bad -- I thought the food was horrible in the food court. Worse than the mall. (except for maybe the pizza)

There is nothing in walking distance and I think that I would want a car just not to be at the mercy of the shuttles. It was very easy to get to disney.

Also, if you go in early Dec., I believe that many of the parks close on the early side. If you aren't eating dinner at Disney (or universal) you really will be stuck with only the hotel's food and I think that wouild be tiring.

Cindy's Mom
06-07-2006, 02:19 PM
we were there when it was still HOliday Inn Family Suite and right before Nick announced they were taking it over. We had a car for the entire 5 nights we were there - I couldn't imagine NOT having one, there really isn't much to do. Just as others have said, the kids eat free at the nasty (IMO) buffet and not the food court (which is where they want to eat)

We didn't have any problems with drinkers or smokers. We enjoyed the place; but wouldn't go back. IMO they were trying too hard to make it so kid friendly that they forgot about the parents who are footing the bill. Needless to say, that was our first time off property and our LAST.