PDA

View Full Version : Tipping at Disney on DDP

DisneyMomOK
06-03-2006, 10:53 AM
We were at WDW last week on the DDP. Althought there was a gratuity included, we always tipped something additional for good service. However, at the Concourse in the CR we ordered one mixed drink and an add on of shrimp to DH's steak and the waitress automatically added 18% gratuity to that $15 tab. We thought that was our perogative to determine the tip on the extra amount; were we wrong? It was no big deal, but made me feel like she thought I was going to stiff her for the additional tip. Anyone else know if this is Disney requirement?

Thanks.

Sharon

nbodyhome
06-03-2006, 11:26 AM
We were at WDW last week on the DDP. Althought there was a gratuity included, we always tipped something additional for good service. However, at the Concourse in the CR we ordered one mixed drink and an add on of shrimp to DH's steak and the waitress automatically added 18% gratuity to that $15 tab. We thought that was our perogative to determine the tip on the extra amount; were we wrong? It was no big deal, but made me feel like she thought I was going to stiff her for the additional tip. Anyone else know if this is Disney requirement?

First, the servers get tipped very well on the DDP - 18%, there is no need for an additional tip (unless the service is stellar). I talked with one server from a popular character meal restaurant, he probably made 80K last year. Not all servers do that well, but the DDP has been great - filled the restaurants, and they are ensured the tips (unlike on a normal bill). I bet they get lots of additional tips also, from people who don't realize that the tip is included.

And second, the additional tip may even be the way the computers are set up. I don't know that it's the server actually adding the tip per se (unless she is supposed to). I'd not be upset unless I didn't think the server was worth the extra amount, you can always take it to the manager.

DisneyMomOK
06-03-2006, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't classify our reaction as being upset, so much as disappointed that whoever added the 18% removed our option of determining the gratuity. She certainly was not stellar, but I did feel sorry for her because it was obvious there were a lot of convention folks eating at the Concourse that night, not on the DDP. My DH was in awe as one woman who had an expensive entree and dessert, plus coffee, count out a dollar and some change in a tip, until her companion gave her the disapproving look and she begrudgingly put down another dollar. Obviously, they did not get the automatic gratuity added to their bill.

Sharon

nbodyhome
06-03-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd mean that perhaps, with the DDP, the other part of the meal (anything added) is continued with the same gratuity that they already are receiving. It might not be the servers idea, but it may be the way it's run. I am sure others here would know better in that regard.

But there isn't a need to feel bad for the servers. I've been one in the past, and there are some awful tippers. I once had a couple who had over $100.00 in food and beverages (this was in the 80's), and kept me an hour extra over the time I was supposed to leave. They left me $5.00, and I had to tip out from that. But there were also times when guests had Entertainment books, which included an automatic tip, and didn't realize it (and they tipped me). So I'd get a 30% or so tip. Same with the DDP - it would not surprised me if lots of guests added extra tips or double tipped, even though the server is getting a great tip to begin with.

mtblujeans
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
This is an interesting thread......! :wizard:

DisneyMomOK
06-03-2006, 01:54 PM
My DH and I like to add a little extra, even though we know the waitstaff is getting tipped from the program. I really don't like being "told" what to do, though. Especially on only a $15 tab. She was the only one on TS we did not leave extra. If it was not her fault, I wish I had left a little more, now. Has anyone else on the DDP had this happen?

Sharon

daisyduck123
06-03-2006, 10:02 PM
That happened to us last month when we were on the Dining Plan.

I can't remember if we were at Chef Mickey's or WCC, but DH ordered a few beers & they were added to the bill. The 18% tip was also included for these drinks!

DisneyClay
06-04-2006, 01:46 AM
One one of my disney trips we stayed at the days inn. The breakfast we had at the hotel was awful and the service was awful, so I was not going to leave a tip. We went to pay and the clerk said that the price was such and such and that includes a tip. I thought that was wrong also.