PDA

View Full Version : What's your Ideal First Day or Tradition?

jakensydsmom
06-02-2006, 04:39 PM
We are going to disney in April (yay!). It's our second family trip. Our kids are 6 and 9. We plan to stay at the Poly and will arrive around noon the first day. What do you suggest to make the first day really special? Does your family have a tradition? My brother always goes to Chef Mickey's for dinner the first night, for example. Thanks for your ideas!

tashasmum
06-02-2006, 05:29 PM
Our first day usually consists of unpacking suitcases followed by a trip to DTD with an evening meal at Rainforest Cafe.

Hedy
06-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I have to go to the Magic Kingdom and go on Splash Mountain.

Mickey&Donald
06-02-2006, 08:38 PM
I have to go to the Magic Kingdom and go on Splash Mountain.

Us too! :teeth: My first stop and last stop are always Magic Kingdom. It would feel wrong to do it any other way. And a Disney trip isn't officially over until I'm crying on the Monorail staring out the window at the castle. :blush:

Snow Shoe
06-02-2006, 09:23 PM
After check-in, we always head for MK. The stroll down Main Street, looking into the shop windows, having our picture made, and just taking in the atmosphere is awsome! 32 more days and I'll be doing just that!!!! Our first nights dinner is always at LTT. However, sometime before dinner though, HM and PoTC must be ridden. Then the morning after is breakfast at CP.

Calgary DISHeads
06-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Our Disney vacation doesn't start until we walk down Main Street towards the castle and reminisce about the last trip, but just checked MNSSHP is on our first night and we have already bought tickets for a later night! I'm so bummed out! Our flight doesn't even arrive until 4pm so there is no way that we can make it. Oh well, it can start bright and early on Sept 30th. :yay:

Epcot242
06-03-2006, 01:25 AM
After checking in, we unpack, then head to the grocery store for our supplies. There's something about not actually head to the parks right away that hieghtens the anticipation. Once we get back and unload the groceries, we head over to the California Grill for dinner. If we have time we walk over to the MK, but this year we may head back to the resort and then to Epcot to catch Illuminations. All this talk... these next 7 days are gonna be tough. :rotfl:

bradisgoofy
06-03-2006, 02:25 AM
ESPN Club at Boardwalk! :thumbsup2 No matter where we stay, that is our first meal.

wdwgoofeeee
06-03-2006, 06:49 AM
A tradition for us that sort of evolved over the last 2-3 trips is to start our trip and end our trip on the Tower of Terror. This has a special meaning for me since I avoided the TOT for years even though our DS always wanted to try it. When I finally gave in a few years back I was completely sold on the TOT. What an awesome experience. Sorry that I missed it for so many trips.
That first ride is SOOOOO great.....However the last ride is kind of a downer since we then back to the resort and airport.

DawnaJean
06-03-2006, 07:09 AM
We head to MK first and then Chef Mickey's for dinner just like your brother!
Have a great time!
Dawna

pepe of ohio
06-03-2006, 07:48 AM
Our first arrival experiences for the last 10 years haven't changed at all. Even though we have AP's we do not go to a park but settle into the resort. We stow our suitcases and unpack, don our bathing suits and head to the pool to cool off, breathe the Disney air and have a drink or two. From there we head to DTD, wife does her shopping thing and we walk over to Goodings Grocery for our snacks, liabations and picnic fixings. Back to the resort for putting away the groceries we take the monorail around to the other resorts, to get the sight and smell of each, catch a glimpse of the MK and return to our resort pool. As you can guess, we're staying deluxe in the MK loop, so popping around is nice, easy and quick. We end up at our resort, and do a room rest, dress and monorail to the CR and take the boat from the rear dock over to FW for our pizza and beer bash. Its quiet and serene over there and gets our spirits into the, "we're in Disney World again" attitude. We try to see the EWP from FW beach and head back to our resort and do the pool and drinks a third time before retiring for the first night. Fun really starts early the next morning, waking to the sound of the transportation boats horn, swooshing of the monorail, that first cup of Disney coffee, a plate of food court eggs and hash browns and of course, OJ.

Atchley
06-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Our first day is to always kick back at the resort. After check in we unpack look around the resort, swim, etc;. We are always so tired to really examine the resorts after we get back from the parks. The resorts have so much to offer and are really neat!

I also agree that MK is my first day and my last day at WDW.

momimouse27
06-03-2006, 09:56 AM
:rolleyes: ahh, just thinking about it gives me chills. I love that first day, when you get there! In the past, our tradition has been to check in, then enjoy a meal at some special restaurant-like a character meal. But since my ds has come along, we have had to revise our "tradition".

We have an 8 hour drive from GA and by the time we get to our room, my little one needs some down-time. So this time we will probobly do some swimming, rest, exploring our resort....that is always fun to do!

DizChick05
06-03-2006, 10:03 AM
We check in at 11:00 and leave our bags with the bellman and then do Epcot during the "right-before-the-parade-lets-move-logjam-hurry" time at MK. Then like at 4:00 we move to MK and do our continuos Splash Mountain from 4:20-to when we see the fireworks on the peak of the big drop.
When the fireworks start, and we're all up the together. No bickering, No rushing.
It's just magical.

madaboutpooh
06-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Since we live in Arizona, we always seem to arrive in the late afternoon or early evening. We usually like to unwind a little bit at the resort and do some exploring there. Then its off to DTD for some shopping and picking out a new restaurant for dinner.

winniethepoohsmom
06-03-2006, 05:35 PM
We usually arrive early to mid-afternoon check in, head to the food court for lunch, bring in our luggage, throw on bathing suits and head for the pool, go back to the room for a shower and head out for dinner sometimes at a disney resort (which is fun to do) if I made a ressie ahead of time. If not we go over by goodings get a bite to eat at one of the restaurants there and go into goodings for water, milk, cereal and snacks then back to the hotel. If it's not to late sometimes we go to the game room or the pool. Then get into bed at decent hour for our first day out in the parks. We really are creatures of habit!

mandysmom
06-03-2006, 10:47 PM
We don't go to the parks on our first day either. We arrive at the resort in time for lunch and then head for the pool. This year we've decided to kick off our stay by doing a dinner show (the Luau at the Poly) :thumbsup2

arielsleepingbeauty
06-03-2006, 10:58 PM
On our first day, we usually fly out early morning and arrive at WDW resort around 1 or 2. We unpack a bit and check out the resort. Our daughters are 6 and 4 so since the previous visits, they don't really remember to much. We go for a swim and relax. Then we drive to the local Walmart pick up items that would weigh down our luggage, sundries, snacks, etc. We then go to Downtown Disney Marketplace to check out the shops and have dinner We also like to sit near the stage area and have a pretzel, ice cream, popcorn, etc and just listen to the music. Then we head back to the resort for some more swimming and try to get to bed by a reasonable time because the next day we go to MK to open the park.
We have been doing this exact routine for about 5 years now. When i was a kid we always went to Downtown Disney or " The Village" as my family still calls it the day we arrived. It is a tradition that we hopefully always keep!!

MagicMe
06-04-2006, 12:01 AM
We always head to MK to see that castle and walk down Main Street. Our first ride is always POC.

Depending on what time you woke up, what time you get to the Poly, if you have enough park passes, etc., I would probably take the kids to MK at least for a quick look. They will be able to see MK from the Poly and will probably be anxious. Of course, if you decide not to hit a park your first day and since you are staying at the Poly (a short monorail ride to CR), I would definitely do Chef Mickey's. The character dinner at Chef Mickey's is a great way for the kids to meet the characters (especially the big cheese) and you can get some great pictures. Then you can go back to the Poly and you can actually watch the fireworks from the Poly down by the pool, etc. They pipe over the music so it's really a nice spot to see the fireworks over the castle.

Have a great time!

bdg100
06-04-2006, 02:12 AM
We usually arrive early to mid-afternoon check in, head to the food court for lunch, bring in our luggage, throw on bathing suits and head for the pool, go back to the room for a shower and head out for dinner sometimes at a disney resort (which is fun to do) if I made a ressie ahead of time. If not we go over by goodings get a bite to eat at one of the restaurants there and go into goodings for water, milk, cereal and snacks then back to the hotel. If it's not to late sometimes we go to the game room or the pool. Then get into bed at decent hour for our first day out in the parks. We really are creatures of habit!

Instead of going to Goodings you should turn left at that Crossroads intersection and head down about a mile or so. On your right hand side will be Winn Dixie. Much better selection and about 2/3 of the price.

tink 2257
06-04-2006, 09:11 AM
This year we will be coming from Universal, and the best way to start our vacation is Breakfast at Chef Mickey's ! It will be a great start to a fabulous week in Disney...can't wait!!!

party:

mmeads4
06-04-2006, 05:42 PM
This will be our first WDW trip/ family vacation. We will be driving from Kentucky which is about a 12 1/2 hour drive :bounce: ....so I am planning on arriving somewhere between 12 and 4pm depending on when I can get my husband to agree to leave :grouphug: ...check in to our resort OKW and then take the boat to DTD for shopping and a meal (maybe Rainforest Cafe) :rolleyes: then take the bus over to the Poly or Grand Floridian to catch a magical glimse :wizard: of the Electrical Water Pagent that I'm keeping a secret from the others :rotfl2: :rolleyes1

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;54;80/st/20061203/e/First+trip+to+Walt+Disney/k/197e/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

mommiepoppins
06-04-2006, 06:57 PM
we un pack and swim!!!

tiggtail
06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I didn't realize we had a tradition until I read this thread....but we do! Every time we are there, we all but beat down the door to our room, throw our suitcases on the bed, change whatever clothes we had to (with speed that would impress Dash) and leaping over whatever happens to be in our way we motate to MK. After a few brief tears of joy, we manage an orderly power walk towards Adventureland where we NEVER miss Pirates. It would be a sacriliage to do so. By the time we make the round of Pirates, Splash, Thunder, Haunted Man., and Peter Pan we are so wiped out that we are just plain silly. We laugh at anything by that time and we are in such delight to just be at the World, that by the time our heads hit the pillow, we all agree that we never sleep better than that first night. And get this...every trip was with my DH and I and our four grown children! This year will be the first to take our four grandkids, so I guess we have to behave now. Darn. :lmao:

dreamsofdisney
06-04-2006, 07:58 PM
I was just talking about this with my DH the other night!

In the past, we've always had flights that got his in to WDW very late at night, and all we had time to do that night was check in and fall into bed. This year, I planned the flights a little better, so we'll be checking in around 4:00pm. DH had suggested that we pop over to the parks that night for a few rides and dinner. I'm pretty firm that I'd like to check in, walk around the resort and see the animals, take a quick dip in the pool and then have dinner at Boma.

For me, there's something magical about heading out bright and early our first day and walking "right down the middle of Main Street, U.S.A." Even though it's not our favorite park, we always start and end with Magic Kingdom. Something about seeing the Castle in front of me, and riding the rides that we all remember from our childhood puts us in the right mind for a magical Disney vacation.

:wizard:

This year, my DS13 suggested that we spend the first four days visiting the parks in the order that they were opened. The later days we'll hop around more and visit water parks and DTD/DQ. Our last night is always spent watching the fireworks at MK. Last visit, as we left the park, Mickey appeared on top of the railroad station and said "Huh, huh...See ya real soon!" A magical end to our trip!

Nedebpats
06-04-2006, 08:04 PM
We usually fly in mid afternoon, checkin to resort and unpack and then go to Chef Mickeys for dinner, then back to resort early to bed to start bright and early next morning in the parks. only 2 mos 1 wk and 5 days till we are there. Yea!!!!

lilybeth11602
06-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Our tradition since we had our DD3 is to always fly! We used to have an 11 hr. drive ahead of us and to face coming home now we fly. It is wonderful! It takes 1 1/2 hr. non stop then DME picks us up and our bags.When we get there they take care of our bags we just make sure we have our bathing suits and we like to swim because its usually late afternoon and we eat at our hotel.Everyone is all excited for the next day at the park (and rested)Its so nice to hear people that love Disney as much as I do.Now I've gotten my husband into it and this will be our 4th trip since we've had our daughter.I feel like I did when I was little and I want my daughter to have that same feeling of excitement.

jakensydsmom
06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies so far! There are some great ideas here. We haven't told the kids yet because we don't leave until 4/12/07. I am already poring over books and websites and have made flight and hotel reservations (except HRH b/c I can't until July). My husband says I'm drving him crazy already and wished he waited to tell me too! He kids, but deep down he's always glad when I plan things out and all (well, most) goes smoothly. One thing we will do this year - my brother and his family will be there for a few days that will overlap with us. We are going to reserve one of the Grand Gatherings events since we are a party of 10 altogether. That will be a special memory for all of us! Check it out of you will have family or friends there at the same time!

mousiemom
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I love our first day! We always have adjoining rooms, so, we open up our door and everybody starts unpacking. We decorate our windows with lights, plushes, and picture frames. After we decorate our rooms, we head to the food court to get our mugs. Everybody gives out Disney gift bags that are filled with all kinds of goodies. We make us a drink and head to DTD to get our annual xmas ornaments and hit the mickey mart store. Our next trip we are going to watch the Electrical light parade on the water. We never seem to make this and I've never seen it!! I get all my tinkerbell treasures ready for my dd for the week. Oh, I can't wait!!!
Have fun!

sneetch
06-08-2006, 07:55 PM
We usually check in at the resort mid to late afternoon. Go to the room and rest for about 45 minutes. Then walk around the resort to check it out. Then go to the food court and grab a bite to eat, and get the refillable mugs. Usually after that if it's still early enough we'll head to Epcot and ride some of the classics like spaceship earth, the living seas, etc.. and then maybe tour a few of the countries in the world showcase. After that we head over to downtown disney for dinner at the rainforest cafe. Then once back at our hotel we'll go for a swim at the pool. This year may be different though, cause I'm taking my 11 yr old niece and she's never been. I'll probably let her decide. :wizard:

isis151miu
06-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Our typical first day tradition is to go to MK, walk down mainstreet and start with adventureland and work our way to fantasyland, which we really don't do much of anymore. Then we have lunch reservations at he crsytal palace and rest for a little before finisheing the rest of the park. But its not always possible to go to MK on the 1st day due to crowds.

Our tradition has always been to have at least one dinner in a worldshowcase at Epcot and then watch Illuminations afterwards. Mk & Epcot are our alltime favorites.

Thinktinknpixiedust
06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
We check in and unpack, or as my DH calls it "move in", and then immediately head to the Boardwalk (no matter what resort we are in) and have our tradition first-meal-vacation-kick-off-oh-yes-we-are-finally-here-KITCHEN SINK from BC! Every year all 5 of us go hungry, but we NEVER EVER finish it. really puts us in the mood, especially the kids cuz mom never lets them have ice cream as a meal anywhere but Disney!! then it's back to the resort to throughly check out our new digs that will be our "home" for the next couple of weeks, swim, or what ever. But the first day, the one we wake up to the Mickey wake up call, that is reserved for the Magic Kingdom! and that is the last day as well. So many mixed emotions in that park! :banana: :sad2:

darrylpan
06-08-2006, 10:47 PM
Our tradition has been the same for our 5 visits so far. We check in at POR.We unpack our luggage while listening to the Disney info channels on the television. After unpacking we head to the store to buy our refillable mugs, then walk the resort to admire the landscaping and get chased by the psycho ducks. After escaping the bills of death we always take the boat ride to DTD. We wander the shops and inhale the magic and usually have supper at Planet Hollywood. Then its back to POR and we change into our swimwear(this has to be done discreetly so as not to scare away any of the mousekeeping staff) and we head to the main pool area for soaking in the hot tubs and drinking 2 Pina Coladas.

daisy_77
06-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Great thread, BTW!!

We have only been once to WDW and that was last year and it was just DH and I. Next April, we are taking our daughter, Maddie, for her first trip and I would love to have a tradition of having a dinner at Chef Mickey's our first night there! :banana:

3PRINCESSMOM
06-09-2006, 07:10 PM
One for when we arrive relatively early, one for when we arrive relatively late.

Option A Early Arrival: Check-in to our resort. Semi-settle into our rooms. Head to Epcot. Do a few attractions in FW then head to the Garden Grill for our first WDW meal. I know we are probably in the minority here, but this kinda just happened. Way back when we were rookies, I had read in the UG not to bring the kids to MK first, (they state it may scew the kids' expectations). Since I wanted to see Epcot, I chose that park. We picked the Garden Grill back then for 2 reason... if we couldn't give the kids MK then we wanted to give them Mickey AND since they were little back then, the family-style service was appealing since it didn't require me and DH to be constantly getting up to go to the buffet. Now it seems to be our family tradition.

Option B Later Arrival: On 2 trips we have chosen to arrive late in the evening. On these occassions we decided to just do the 'hang around our resort' thing. Purchased our mugs, got park maps, watched the resort channel to get pumped for the next morning. Not as exciting, but definitely allows us to be fresh on our first full park day.

I can see the up side of each option...for both we're in WDW!!!

STEAMBOAT209
06-09-2006, 09:16 PM
After check-in or, ( let the desk know we have arrived ), we had over to Beaches and Cream for our burger & fries, the its off to MK, to take that magical walk down MainStreet, hearing the music, laughter, and seeing the CROWDS, this is our start of a wonderful trip. Only 11 more days :banana:

Hef4545
06-11-2006, 06:41 AM
We drop our bags in the room and head to MK.

belle&beast
06-11-2006, 12:31 PM
We have only been once as a family, but I love the way the trip started for us. We arrived later in the day, checked in to POR and grabbed a CS there. Then we hopped a bus to MK to see Spectromagic and Wishes. It was the first time our 2 and 4yos saw the castle and DD4 was in awe of the color changes at night. I think we will do this the next time we go, too because of the timing of the flights from our hometown. It was a magical way to start our vacation.

DIS4MYGIRLS
06-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Instead of going to Goodings you should turn left at that Crossroads intersection and head down about a mile or so. On your right hand side will be Winn Dixie. Much better selection and about 2/3 of the price.

Do you know if the Winn Dixie is better priced then the Walmart? We have been going to the Walmart for years but it is a farther drive then the Winn Dixie. I am always looking to save a dollar so I can spend it at Disney, but more importantly I hate being away from the world... My husband and I go to Church and stop at the store for whatever we may need and then I want to get back to the world.

EpcotMatt
06-11-2006, 08:48 PM
A tradition I started a few years ago for us is that our first morning we wake up at DW, we have breakfast at Kona Cafe. Most of the other breakfasts are just pastries or quick sandwiches. But our first breakfast there we always eat at Kona. Additionally, our first stop tends to always be Magic Kingdom & head right over to Adventureland so my DW can get her Dole Whip. She says the vacation doesn't officially start until she gets her Dole Whip. Not being a sweets guy myself, the vacation doesn't officially start for me until I get ti fill my half yard of happiness at the little outside beer cart at Rose & Crown at EPCOT.

lwilliam
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
and listen to the Disney Information channel - we REALLY miss the old one....but it is our tradition (drives our kids nuts that we could watch that channel forever - even though we visit the "World" twice a year for the
last 23 years!)

THEN, if we are at an EPCOT resort, head to Yakatori for our first
CS meal - a meal all four of us agree upon.

LOVE reading this thread - thanks for starting.
Lucy :disrocks:

PVA
06-13-2006, 12:06 PM
You're killing me... no trip this summer for the first time in six years! BUT... we arrive about 2pm from CA to breathe in the humid hot air as opposed to our local dry hot air (I LOVE IT!), drive to Publix, load up on the snacks and food we deprive ourselves of all year and head over to Boardwalk Villas where we unload and then head down to the Boardwalk and dinner at the Big River Brewery while sitting out on the Walk and letting our now 6 year old princess run up and down feeding the ducks and playing the carnival games letting off the steam from the long flight. To bed early and into the parks the next morning. Every year. Thanks for letting me reminisce. Have a great time planning, its half the fun!

Jenn Lynn
06-13-2006, 01:42 PM
We don't have a tradition yet. We are trying Chef Mickey's for dinner in September on our first night. Then maybe a ride around the monorial loop (DD loves it). And then back to ASMo for a swim and bed time. The first and last mornings are always MK with breakfast at Crystal Palace on the last.

spoiltrotten12
06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
If we arrive early we unpack, wash, kids nap, then we'll head out to EPCOT.

If we arrive late afternoon/evening, we'll stay at the resort.

missmun52
06-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I plan to arrive at my resort at around 1:00. I will check in get a small snack, change the baby and head over to Animal Kingdom. DS (1 year) loves animals. We will then head over to the AKL for a 5:40 dinner at Boma. Then Back to the resort and into the pool then off to bed.

BooScout
06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
I didn't think I had a tradition until I thought back over the last several trips.

My tradition actually starts at the airport in Philly. The first time I went to Disney was in 1991 during Spring Break when I was in high school - for Disney Magic Music Days. I bought a pair of ears with my name embroidered on the back. I wear them to the airport every time we go. I get some strange looks, but most people smile.

We usually leave Philly by 9 a.m., so we're at our Disney hotel by early afternoon. We immediately head out to a park - but we save the Magic Kingdom for later in the trip. Its fun to spend a few days running around having a great time and THEN getting the big whammy of seeing the castle for the first time.

Another tradition is that we try to do something new each trip. Usually there is a new attraction to try out, but we also throw in a new restaurant, show or some other experience. It keeps each trip fresh and unique.

This year we get the added bonus of having my 45-year-old brother-in-law with us. He was 10 when DisneyWorld opened and has always wanted to go. This is his first trip! My husband, the baby by 10 years, is so excited!

madfordonald
06-24-2006, 01:30 AM
My tradition has always been a frozen chocolate banana. It started when my parents took the family for our first trip in 76. Now every time I go, I have to get one or my trip isn't complete. :)

mello
06-26-2006, 01:47 AM
We're just heading down for our second trip. The first time we went to Chef Mickey's the first night. It was great because we got to meet lots of the main characters before even getting to a park, and it was such a nice festive beginning to our trip! The only trouble was that we were staying at CBR, so it was a bit hectic for us, arriving at MCO at 5:30pm, at CBR at 6:30, and having 7:15 ressies. If we could arrive earlier I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

This coming trip we plan to stay at the resort (BWV) our first night.

Our next trip with the kids, they want to do Ohana our first night - that dinner, timed just perfectly to see and hear Wishes as we ate our dessert, is one of our family's most fond memories of our first trip, and they all want to do it again. That would be a great option for you, since you're staying at Poly.

JPN4265
06-26-2006, 05:34 AM
Since we always go during Christmas Time, our first day is a tour of all the Deluxe hotels to view the Christmas decorations. Than a special dinner at Artist Point. We also spend a few hours at DTD. :sunny:

kimntrent
06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
On our first day we don't do anything really special, however, we do something totally different as far as picking the parks. We get on the first bus that comes. Doesn't work as good at the poly but at the PORS and places like that it works great. We get on the first bus that comes (minus the water parks and downtown disney). That bus determines our day.

Kim

Cinderumbrella
06-26-2006, 03:07 PM
We are always on the first flight out so we get to our resort around noon. We drop our stuff in the room (so far it has always been available when we arrive ;) ), call for a crib or bed rails or whatever we need and head off to the magic kingdom.

For us, it is not a Disney Vacation until we see the Castle!!!!! Then we head over to toontown to say hello to Mickey ::MickeyMo(this is also how we end our trip before taking the bus back to the resort to go to the airport). Then we watch the parade on Main Street and hop to another park for dinner.

It is usually an early night for us since we have usually been up since 3am to catch that early flight! Besides we need our beauty sleep to make it to Crystal Palace for a 8:30 breakfast the next morning!!!! pooh:

GC&S
06-26-2006, 05:22 PM
We usually get to our resort by noon, thow our luggage in the room (if it's ready - otherwise throw it into storage) change our clothes (we come from OH) and head straight to the MK and get a mickey bar. Doesn't matter if we're going to eat lunch or dinner anytime soon - gotta have that Mickey Bar and get our pic taken in front of the castle. We always get the park hopper so we usually hop somewhere else after cleaning off the chocolate. Since we've had dd, we usually have a character dinner in the evening.

Mellybelly
07-18-2006, 07:51 PM
We usually check out our hotel and then go DisneyQuest in DTD.

marconat
07-19-2006, 12:38 AM
Going to DTD and getting a mickey ice cream bar.... Yummmm... I don't know if it's just the fact that we are at WDW that makes that bar taste soooo good. ha! :bounce:

newholidayx2
07-19-2006, 06:47 AM
Usually our first night has been at the VWL so Chef Mickey's dinner after checking into hotel

This Aug DS & I have active annual passes. After checking into VWL we'll take boat over to Tony's (last MK restaurant that we have yet to try) for late lunch, back to hotel to unpack then off to EpCot - hopefully to see either Off Kilter or British Invasion

tink2007
07-19-2006, 09:47 AM
After checking in, we always go to Downtown Disney and eat at Captain Jack's. Then we head for World of Disney and SHOP! I buy everyone a tshirt for our first day at the parks. At dinner we sit and talk about our last trip and hope that this trip goes as well. Downtown always gets me in the mood for Mickey!

TruBlu
07-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Dinner with Goofy at LTT!!! We love it, and it really get us in a magical mood to have dinner with our favorite character!!!

Caitsmama
07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Wow, what a great thread!

I guess we don't really have a tradition, This is our thrid yr in a row going at Thanksgiving, so i guess that is sort of a tradition iteself now, lol..
As for the first day, We usally get there around noon, then unpack and swim..
We stay at the BC so, we always have to go to Beaches and Cream for lunch/dinner.. I usally like to go to bed early, as we are usally tired, and start fresh off in the am.

However, though it's not a "first day" tradition, we always eat dinner at our resort as a "final meal" . there are 11 of us goin this yr.

kimis
07-20-2006, 08:53 AM
This is so cool. For some reason I thought we were the only ones that did the same thing every trip on our first day. We always manage to get to POR around 4:30 P.M. and we head to DTD. We always have our first meal at Capn Jacks. It is good food and the view is great. We walk around and than go back to the hotel to get ready for the next day. I am wanting to go right now! Have fun!

ellyn2000
07-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Shopping at the Disney Outlet @Premier Outlet Mall, more shopping @Downtown Disney and dinner @Planet Hollywood.

julieburdick
07-23-2006, 04:33 PM
I didn't think I had a tradition until I thought back over the last several trips.

My tradition actually starts at the airport in Philly. The first time I went to Disney was in 1991 during Spring Break when I was in high school - for Disney Magic Music Days. I bought a pair of ears with my name embroidered on the back. I wear them to the airport every time we go. I get some strange looks, but most people smile.

Just HAD to make this my first post. I noticed that you were at Disney in 91 for Magic Music Days. I was there earlier that year (also my senior year) in December for MMD!! We were there right after Christmas....there is NOTHING like marching down Main St. at Christmas!! It was so amazing that I knew I had to take me kids there to see it. We are FINALLY headed there this Christmas season.

TESTRACKLOVER92
07-23-2006, 06:47 PM
We head to Downtown Disney and have lunch at Wolfgang Puck's(love the chicken!). Then we head over to buy and trade pins!

beauty1125
07-23-2006, 06:54 PM
:cloud9: We usually check in and head directly to the Magic Kingdom. Seeing the castle makes us feel the real disney magic. We spend some time at the park and then head back to the hotel to get ready to go to dinner at the California Grille. We usually make reservations around 8:30 so we can stay and see the fireworks from the viewing deck. :cloud9:

Fastcars
07-24-2006, 04:50 PM
We have settled in going to DTD our first day in Orlando and taking in the LEGO store. After building the cars from LEGO and racing each other we shop the stores and pic a place to eat that we dont have to wait long. We then head over to the suvinior store and check out what we might want to take home with us.