PDA

View Full Version : Pie Tips and Recipes

mtblujeans
05-10-2006, 08:44 AM
It is summer pie time again! This recipe for Crumb Top Rhubarb Pie from Land (http://www.landolakes.com/mealIdeas/ViewRecipe.cfm?RecipeID=4555C&from=prb) O Lakes looks so good! YUM!

Pie is my favorite dessert! Please share your recipes and tips for making the best of pies! :wizard:

Twigs
05-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I was having a problem with my fruit pies being too "watery". So I now add some instant tapioca to them and they come out great.

mrp4352
05-10-2006, 12:46 PM
My big secret is that I use the pillsbury pre-made pie crust - the one that used to come in a square box folded into triangles, but now comes rolled up on itself so you don't get those lines. Because it lets you crimp the crust and use your own pie dishes, people always think it's homemade and I can't tell you how many people comment on how good it is!

But remember! :ssst: Shhhh, it's our little secret!

mickeymousemom
05-10-2006, 04:56 PM
When making a homemade crust, ALWAYS keep your butter/shortening chilled, if not frozen. Also make sure your water is ICE water and not room temperature. After making the dough, pat it into a disc and place it in the fridge to chill again while you put the rest of the pie together(though some people do like them, I can't stand the Pillsbury pie crusts...they taste too "lardy" or something and nothing like my grandma's). :)

Here is a recipe for Strawberry Cheese pie:

1 graham cracker crust(store bought or homemade)

1 lb strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced..or cut in half.
8oz. cream cheese(I use the low fat)
1/4 -1/2 can sweetened condensed milk(depends on how sweet you like it)
2-4 TBS lemon juice(again, to your taste)

Whip the cream cheese until fluffy then add milk and lemon juice and whip til well mixed and fluffy. Pour into graham cracker crust, chill for an hour or so and top with your strawberries. This doesn't have to be pretty as I just pile on the berries. You could also drizzle with white or dark chocolate(I've done the white with great reviews).

I know the above recipe isn't exact, but i rarely follow recipes myself. This one is modified from another recipe i had that called for MUCH more condensed milk and lemon juice...it was like soup(and so sweet it hurt my throat). I redid it this past weekend and DH took it into work and everyone loved it! You could do two pies with THREE pkg's of cream cheese and about 1/2 to 3/4 can of the milk. Lemon juice to your taste.

Glynis
05-10-2006, 06:42 PM
Here are some of my favorite pie recipes. I'm new to the whole pie making thing, and I second the pre-made, rolled pie crust! It tastes great, and looks homemade!

Pistachio Cream Pie

1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 C. milk
1 pkg (3.4 oz) instant pistachio pudding mix
1 can crushed pineapple, drained
1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
2 C. Cool Whip
Toasted Coconut

In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and pudding mix until smooth. Fold in the pineapple. Spoon into the crust. Spread with the Cool Whip; sprinkle with coconut. Cover and refrigerate pie until serving.

White Chocolate Pie

1 pkg. cream cheese, softened
3/4 C. powdered sugar
1 carton Cool Whip, thawed, divided
1 chocolate crumb crust
1 1/4 C. cold milk
1 pkg. (3.4 oz.) instant white chocolate pudding mix
Red food coloring

In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and 1/4 C. whipped topping until light and fluffy. Spread over crust. In a mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes. Pour over cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Tint remaining Cool Whip pink. Spread over pie just before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.

Raspberry Silk Pie

10 ox. frozen raspberries in syrup
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1 C. fresh raspberries (or whole frozen, not in syrup)
1/2 C. margarine or butter, softened
4 oz. Baker's white chocolate, melted, do not burn
1/3 C. sugar
2 eggs or equivalent egg product
2 oz. semi sweet chocolate, chopped in pieces
2 Tbs. butter or margarine melted
10 fresh raspberries for garnish, optional
9 inch pie shell, already baked

Puree frozen, thawed raspberried in food processor; strain and discard seeds. In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and sugar, blending well. Slowly add pureed raspberries. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool mixture and spread over cooled crust. Arrange 1 cup whole berried over raspberry layer. Refrigerate. Beat 1/2 C. margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually add melted white chocolate, beating constantly. Add eggs one at a time, beating at highest speed 3 minutes after each addition. Pour over raspberried, smoothing mixture over surface. Rrefrigerate. In a small saucepan, melt sem-sweet chocolate and 2 Tbs. butter or margarine (or do this in microwave). Stir well. Drizzle over set white chocolate mixture. Garnish if desired. Refrigerate 2 hours or longer.

Derby Pie

1/2 C. flour
1 C. sugar
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 C. butter, melted and cooled
1 C. chopped nuts (pecans are good)
1 C. chocolate chips
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients and pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees until set. Serve warm. This tastes like a chocolate chip cookie and is wonderful warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

mtblujeans
07-19-2006, 08:34 PM
:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: