PDA

View Full Version : Victoria and Albert's Wine Pairings?

gpuckett
05-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Wine pairings or no wine pairings at V&A's? My fiance and I are not "big" wine drinkers but both willing to try new ones.

Mister Disney
05-08-2006, 10:23 PM
GO FOR IT! :banana: :banana: :banana:

I am not a wine person myself, but both Israel and Mark have begun educating me in the fine things that are available. So often, what I do is to try the wine alone, then the "dish" it is paired with also alone, prioir to trying the dish and wine together.

It is utterly amazing the "taste" differences that wine impart on a dish and how the "taste" of the wine is SOOOO different when paired with various foods.

BCV23
05-08-2006, 10:51 PM
Although my husband and I have not asked about this at V&A other DISsers have reported being able to split the wine pairings at V&A. It sounds like a great idea to me but my husband likes his full portion. :sunny:

I agree with Mister Disney that an expertly paired wine really enhances and is enhanced in return by great cuisine. Go for it!

Uncleromulus
05-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Add me to the wine pairing camp!! They DO know their wine at V&A and it's a great way to experience new wines.

KFISCHER
05-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Have to agree with all that's been said. And the wines they select go perfectly with and enhance each course.

Well worth it!

Cheshire Figment
05-09-2006, 11:48 AM
Israel Perez, the Maitre'd is also the Sommelier. I forget the exact title, but it is only one step away from Master.

LISAMWDW
05-09-2006, 11:54 AM
I am a wine drinker and have had the wine parings at V & A and did not like it. However, if you are really interested in it, have one of you try it then you can share. You'll save some $ and then you will also have something else more enjoyable to drink when you don't like the wine given, which you will not like them all.

goingthedistance
05-09-2006, 12:01 PM
The first time we ate at V&A's my wife and I each got the wine pairing. My wife needed help getting back to the Poly from the wine. The person at the front desk at the Poly looked at my wife and said "Wine pairing, huh?" :rotfl: One of our funny moments from our honeymoon.

The last time we ate at V&A (got the chef's table...re-living the experience through Mister Disney's review... :thumbsup2 ) we split the pairing, which gave us the perfect amount of wine so that we could enjoy the tastes and sensations without a repeat of the prior experience.

This is coming from a non-wine person too.

Paul

KFISCHER
05-09-2006, 02:26 PM
LISAMWDW said the following:

I am a wine drinker and have had the wine parings at V & A and did not like it. However, if you are really interested in it, have one of you try it then you can share. You'll save some $ and then you will also have something else more enjoyable to drink when you don't like the wine given, which you will not like them all.

With all due respect, LISAMWDW........how do you know they will not like all the wine pairing selections? You have no idea at all. It is the kind of response that could keep someone from trying the pairings on their own. Maybe they'll have them and really like them, all of them!!!!

gpuckett
05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
Actually LISAMWDW is probably right. There are very few red wines that I have liked. But again I am willing to try them. I think the idea of sharing is a great one. Thanks,

BCV23
05-09-2006, 03:14 PM
gpuckett, the wines are so perfectly matched at V&A, you may be surprised and enjoy a red if it is served to you...it will depend on your selections whether you get one at all.

And if you really hate reds, I'm sure they will try to work with you. There are people who can't drink reds at all so I'm sure V&A has experience with that.

And as I said, I don't think it needs to be just one person ordering it to split the wine servings. Just ask your servers if you can do so. Someone reported doing that. Then you would each have a half portion in your own glass. :thumbsup2

shellybaxter
05-09-2006, 03:19 PM
I had the wine pairing when I ate a V&As and LOVED them. I am NOT a red wine drinker. I discussed this with our "Victoria" before order the pairings. She reviewed my selections for dinner and said I had selected courses with white wine pairing up until the main course, which should have been red (kobe beef). She said she would pair the beef with a white wine that would stand up to the dish. She did and it was awesome. I really enjoyed trying all of the different wines. They were good and I was a little tipsy at the end of the night but not bad. I would recommend trying the pairing and if you have any concerns discussing them with your server.