PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood & Vine

tgiving cruisers
05-08-2006, 11:31 AM
We are going to disney at the end of June. We wanted to do a Fantasmic dinner package. We are staying with the dining plan. The only place we could get reservations was H & V. I have read horrible reviews on this board about H & V.

Is it worth keeeping these reservations in order to do the preferred seating for Fantasmic?

averill94
05-08-2006, 11:41 AM
I would keep the ressie. Went there last time and wouldnt say it was horrible but I am not going out of my way to go back. I am sure you will find some things you like and I do remember enjoying the desserts.

If I had to choose package with H&V or no package - I would go with H&V it was so worth not waiting on standby line!
Have fun

Hopefully
05-08-2006, 01:54 PM
That is a very good question!! We ate there on the Fantasmic package two weeks ago and I posted that I would never go back. It was that bad to me. That said, if I were going at the end of June and this was the ONLY alternative to standing in line for Fantasmic for 90 or more minutes, then I might reconsider.
I would, however, go with appropriate expectations - that I was going for a ticket to a show. I would not expect a good meal, and therefore I would not be disappointed. I would have a glass of wine and eat bread and salad and a lot of desert.
If you are expecting a decent meal prior to Fantasmic, I think you will be disappointed. JMHO.

JAM'S MOM
05-08-2006, 06:57 PM
we were there last week and found the food to be just not exciting. it wasn't bad; it was adequate. the desserts were nice to view. it just didn't compare to the nice surprises found at other disney restaurants. the salad bar was nice and they creamed corned bread was excellent. the flank steak was not that good but my husband enjoyed the chicken. if you have children, they will find plenty to eat that is typical kids fare. the service was okay but the job environment doesn't lend itself to anything more than a plate remover and drink filler. all in all, if you have to eat, this is not a bad place to go and the bonus of getting special seating for fantasmic seemed to make it worthwhile.

in the past when we've gone to fantasmic, our family has had to split up to find seats and for some of us to go on one more ride. with the fantasmic package providing special seating, it was the best reward after a long day.

Amy&Dan
05-08-2006, 07:19 PM
H & V is only one of two meals at WDW (the other one was the noodle place at MK) I did not enjoy. Personally I don't think the dining package is an absolute necessity for Fantasmic. I have never had to wait 90 minutes for that show. And we went in December during Christmas week. We got into the show pretty easily, however they had three that night so that might have helped. But we have been to WDW six times in the past year and half and do Fantasmic sometimes as many as three times per trip and have always been able to get in no problem. I would never do the dining package again. H & V was horrible, my kids thought Brown Derby was too "boring" and I also don't like the fact that the seating for the package isn't even the best seating and if the show gets rained out you just paid for a dinner you might not have enjoyed or wanted to eat.

Greg K.
05-08-2006, 09:59 PM
Last summer, we liked it so much, we went twice! Go early -- I think they open around 4 -- and sample some of the best and most creative buffet offerings at WDW.

We did the Brown Derby for the Fantasmic package, and loved that, too. Can't say enough good things about the Grapefruit Cake! :teeth:

english rose 47
05-27-2006, 09:49 PM
Last summer, we liked it so much, we went twice! Go early -- I think they open around 4 -- and sample some of the best and most creative buffet offerings at WDW.

We did the Brown Derby for the Fantasmic package, and loved that, too. Can't say enough good things about the Grapefruit Cake! :teeth:
wHAT IS SO BAD ABOUT THE PLACE IS IT THE FOOD ,THE ATMOSPHERE , OR THE SERVICE OR ALL?

checkwriter
05-28-2006, 12:25 AM
We enjoyed the food -- it's good, but don't expect great. It's diner-type food, a buffet but not steam-table. The service was attentive and great. And we appreciated the Fantasmic package. Just don't buy in to "you have to be there at the earliest moment" argument. There are lots of good seats for Fantasmic, but there are more for Fantasmic dinner package holders, and hey, you gotta eat!

Tony Toon
05-28-2006, 05:20 AM
Hey come on - it's not that bad (IMO). It's certainly by no means the best Disney Dining but it is more than adequate with plenty of choice. I probably wouldn't choose to eat here if it wasn't for the Fantasmic package though.

bookworm61
05-28-2006, 07:05 AM
I am not sure why my experiences were different from the majority, but we like this place very much. We have done the Fantasmic Dinner package twice here. Based upon reviews, I had very low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised. I particularly like the corn bread (a spoon bread, I believe.....very moist) and also the tomato and mozzarella appetizer and the salmon. We found it to be better than Chef Mickey's and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

TLinden16
05-28-2006, 07:08 AM
I have always enjoyed the food at Hollywood and Vine. I think they have a nice selection of food there. It isn't all that relaxing--it tends to get very loud, and in my opinion, they have too many tables in there.

swankybeth
05-28-2006, 07:13 AM
DH and I have eaten here twice for the Fantasmic dinner package. Both times we enjoyed our meal. In particular I remember liking the root beer glazed sweet potatoes, marinated steak, turkey and salmon. Desserts were nothing special, make your own sundaes, I think. The atmosphere is very noisy, service is usually pretty good. We haven't been to WDW in 2 yrs and haven't been to Hollywood and Vine in at least 3 years, but when we went, we enjoyed it. I don't think we plan to go back next trip, but only because we're not planning to do the Fantasmic package. Otherwise, it would probably be our top pick. Hope this helped! :sunny:

powellrj
05-28-2006, 08:01 AM
We have been twice doing the fantasmic package. It wasn't the best meal we had on-site, but it was far from the worst. It is what it is, a diner type resturant with a buffet. The food was average disney buffet, the surroundings were kind of stark, but thats what a diner looks like. We have had great service and we have had average service, but once again, that is pretty much how every place will be.

I would do it again to get the fantasmic package, but it wouldn't be a place I would pick to eat at as a special disney meal.

Tink10
05-28-2006, 08:08 AM
We go to H & V every trip for the FDP....On our first trip, we loved it but it's been getting progressively worse. After our last time there in October, I swore I'd never go back because the service was terrible, the food was bad & the family seated next to us was absolutely disgusting (not the restaurant's fault, but the visual of the experience is forever burned into my memory)

For some bizarre reason, my DD loves the place & had begged to go during our June trip, so we have a FDP ressie. I've been trying to talk her into going to Mama Melrose & she really doesn't want to.....

The things we do for our kids...... :sad2:

Tony Toon
05-28-2006, 10:14 AM
We found it to be better than Chef Mickey's and wouldn't hesitate to go again.

Actually that, in my opinion, is a pretty fair assessment though I don't think there is much in it. We decided not to eat at Chef Mickey's this year as we felt it fits into this category - ok but not a must do. H&V has the FDP so the adr has been made. :goodvibes

eeyore45
05-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Isnt the Brown Derby 2 Dining Credits, or $36 per adult?

and isnt the Mama Melrose Choice a Fantasmic Menu, not the regular?

The whole thing confuses me, we enjoyed H&V both times we went, nothing stands out, it was food, we ate, we left, we sat! But I'm thinking we "should" try someplace else!!

Paul in TX
05-28-2006, 01:20 PM
We have never had a bad experience at H and V and hit it every time we go---we far prefer the H and V fare to Chef Mickeys

Paul

Goofygirls4God
05-29-2006, 01:40 AM
the H&V for us just back 1 week ago- we liked it well enough- The salmon was my favorite thing- the carrot cake was very tasty!
Kids ate well, hubby was full and happy! The seats at Fantasmic was worth it- we got there and the public area had BEEN full for some time...our seats were easy and plentiful! We got it last minute and left with the masses and got to the bus very quickly!
Yes, I would keep them!

slduck
05-29-2006, 06:50 AM
We almost skipped H & V due to the neg. reviews. We tried it and liked it! Our sever was GREAT! My 4 yo was very happy the the food and dessert. Next time we will definitely go again! :goodvibes

english rose 47
06-04-2006, 08:52 PM
What Is The Fantasmic Package?

bookworm61
06-05-2006, 05:35 AM
It is a dinner package that includes your meal at one of three restaurants (H & V, Mama Melrose or Brown Derby) at a set price and a ticket for reserved seating at the Fantasmic Dinner show. The reserved section isn't central, it is over to the right and is roped off until a short while before the show. Instead of waiting for 1 hr plus on line, you just go through a back entrance to the seating area. You have to hold the package with a credit card. The price at H&V is the same as the regular price for dinner. It is more of a commitment, though, since if you don't show you get charged a cancellation fee. Also, if Fantasmic is cancelled, you don't get any vouchers to come to another show. I have done it twice and it worked out very well for us. See allears for more details. :)

essmom
06-05-2006, 07:08 AM
we were there last week and found the food to be just not exciting. it wasn't bad; it was adequate. the desserts were nice to view. it just didn't compare to the nice surprises found at other disney restaurants. the salad bar was nice and they creamed corned bread was excellent. the flank steak was not that good but my husband enjoyed the chicken. if you have children, they will find plenty to eat that is typical kids fare. the service was okay but the job environment doesn't lend itself to anything more than a plate remover and drink filler. all in all, if you have to eat, this is not a bad place to go and the bonus of getting special seating for fantasmic seemed to make it worthwhile.

in the past when we've gone to fantasmic, our family has had to split up to find seats and for some of us to go on one more ride. with the fantasmic package providing special seating, it was the best reward after a long day.
can you tell me what they had for the kid's buffet? Thanks

bookworm61
06-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Sorry, I don't recall the specific items. You can check allears for the menu. There was definitely softserve for dessert, which my kids liked. :)

Dreamfinder2
06-05-2006, 08:52 AM
H&V falls into that category of a "decent Disney meal" - in other words, more than adequate but not life-changing.

If you're sympathetic to buffets in general, I think you'll do just fine. Anytime we see Fantasmic, we're gonna do a package somewhere to avoid the wait!

Tink10
06-05-2006, 09:12 AM
can you tell me what they had for the kid's buffet? Thanks

I remember BBQ meatballs & Mac & Cheese....Once there were Chicken Nuggets. The meatballs were pretty good. I do miss their garlic bread though.

Ms.Mouse
06-05-2006, 09:45 AM
We enjoyed the food -- it's good, but don't expect great. It's diner-type food, a buffet but not steam-table. The service was attentive and great. And we appreciated the Fantasmic package. Just don't buy in to "you have to be there at the earliest moment" argument. There are lots of good seats for Fantasmic, but there are more for Fantasmic dinner package holders, and hey, you gotta eat!

I agree. The food is good, not great. Our service was wonderful. We had one person in our group with a severe food allergy (peanuts) and the chef came out (at all restaurants, in fact) and went over each and every dish on the buffet and told her which to eat and which to avoid.

Evad
06-05-2006, 01:12 PM
We are going to disney at the end of June. We wanted to do a Fantasmic dinner package. We are staying with the dining plan. The only place we could get reservations was H & V. I have read horrible reviews on this board about H & V.

Is it worth keeeping these reservations in order to do the preferred seating for Fantasmic?
You might want to check on the availability of the Fantasmic dinner package while using the dining plan. Last year we were told that we could not get the Fantasmic dinner package using the dining plan. Our options were to pay 22.95 per person using our credit card at the time of booking to get the Fantasmic dinner package or use the dining plan, but we could not use the dining plan and receive the Fantasmic dinner package. Now mind you we had the free dining plan that was offered last year. That may have been the difference. It is still something to check into for peace of mind.

We used our dining plan and decided not to pay the 22.95 and really enjoyed our meal at H&V We have eaten there twice and loved it both times.

english rose 47
06-05-2006, 09:11 PM
We want to do the JO JO character meal at H& v and that is Breakfast and lunch I believe. Thanks for answering my question.