PDA

View Full Version : Boma or Jiko?

mkymouse4ever
05-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Wondering which is the better AKL experince and why?

ducklite
05-08-2006, 08:48 AM
Moot question, you are comparing apples to oranges. Boma is a casual buffet. Jiko is a signature restaurant.

I've dined at both. I didn't care for the food or service at dinner at Boma and won't be back. Jiko has never failed to be a great meal.

Anne

mkymouse4ever
05-08-2006, 09:01 AM
Ducklite:

Thank you for your insight. I realize they are different. Just wondering for people they have experienced both which was a better overall experince? Food choices? Variety? Atmosphere? etc.... :)

crisi
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Ducklite:

Thank you for your insight. I realize they are different. Just wondering for people they have experienced both which was a better overall experince? Food choices? Variety? Atmosphere? etc.... :)

Better is subjective.

Food is MUCH better quality at Jiko. Boma is good for a buffet, but when you are comparing a restaurant to Old Country Buffet, it doesn't take much. (I didn't like my meal at Jiko, but it was well prepared, I just ordered poorly).

Jiko is quieter, but it isn't quiet.

Waitstaff was lousy at both locations. Though the hostess at Boma was wonderful when my daughter had a meltdown. We seem to be the exception at both places - most people have great service.

Prefer Boma's livelier decor.

Boma has 80 items or more on the buffet, so they win hands down in food choices. However, Jiko's fewer choices are better prepared.

(Honestly, I love visiting the AKL, but the best restaurant experience I've had there is Mara - the counter service place. I'll give Jiko another chance, but its at the bottom of my "try" list. Boma only if we are staying at AKL and don't want the bother of Jiko.)

Ted and Holly
05-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I find that Jiko is an elegant experience. If you are staying at AKL and you kind of lose yourself in the whole African safari thing, it sort of feels like you are one of thse well-to-do people on safari, being served exotic meals by the... you get the picture...

I just finished reading Under Kilimanjaro by Hemingway so I might be a little off my rocker.

Ted

F1Julie
05-08-2006, 10:07 AM
I've been to both and much prefer Boma. I like being able to sample a little bit of everything. The food at Boma is delicious and there is a great variety. The food at Jiko was okay, but not as exotic as I was expecting. I don't plan on going back to Jiko, but we go to Boma on almost every trip. Are you going with kids? If so, Boma would be a better choice in that respect as well.

Mandabella
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
It really depends on what type of atmosphere you are looking for in a restaurant.

I've done both for dinner, and enjoyed them both immensely. I would give the edge to Jiko, because that is the one both DH and I ha've been dying to return for dinner!

When I dined at Jiko, DH and I split everything...appetizer, salad, entree, and dessert. Everything was cooked correctly and to our specifications. Our server was *EXCELLENT* and we rewarded him for it....very knowledgable about the food and wine as well. He assisted us in picking out a South African wine called Pinotage made from a SA varietal of the same name. AWESOME!! It was the overall best dining experience on our May/June 2005 trip.

I'm also not a big buffet fan at all. I tend to give them a chance when in WDW or Las Vegas more so than I do anywhere else. Boma, from what I remember, was very good for a buffet. It's been awhile since we have been there...too many places to eat at in WDW!!

Mr.Bubbles
05-08-2006, 11:56 AM
We are fans of both places. We have a 5 and 8 year old and neither one has complained that they didn't like the food. Yet, it was exotic enough for the adults. This is usually the first place he head for upon our arrival to Disneyworld. Boma is fun because of the many choices and kids can find something they will like. Jiko is a nice place for an excellent meal with wonderful service. You can sit at the counter to watch the chefs prepare the food or at a regular table. I do think the quality of food at Jiko is a bit higher, but we love both. Plus, it is always fun to walk around and explore the resort both inside and out.