PDA

View Full Version : what's this about "dole whips??"

ThunderMTexpert
05-07-2006, 07:48 PM
..so i'm hearing a lot about dole whips? :confused3 are they the new zebra domes?? what is it, where can i find one when i get to disney? apparently, they're a big deal, friends?? fill me in!

dalt01
05-07-2006, 08:02 PM
your just full of questions tonight, they are across from the swiss family tree house, i will let someone else describe them to you

La2kw
05-07-2006, 09:29 PM
..so i'm hearing a lot about dole whips? :confused3 are they the new zebra domes?? what is it, where can i find one when i get to disney? apparently, they're a big deal, friends?? fill me in!

Actually, Dole Whips have been around a lot longer than zebra domes have. They're also much better than zebra domes, IMO. They are simply nondairy pineapple flavored soft serve. My favorite place to get them is at the "Tiki Juice Bar" next to Walt Disney's orginal "Enchanted Tiki Room" at Disneyland, but you can also get them at Aloha Isle in the MK at WDW. It's in Adventureland near the Swiss Family Treehouse.

disneyfreakjackie
05-08-2006, 12:22 AM
YUMMY!!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e360/scrap-happy/100_4793.jpg

ThunderMTexpert
05-08-2006, 12:36 AM
OOOOoooohhh- they look GOOD!

AussieAngel
05-08-2006, 02:07 AM
YUMMY!!

Sorry... I know this isn't the point of the photo, but what is that bottle of coloured things behind the Dole Whip? Did you buy the bottle? They look yum!!

I've got a Dole Whip on my "Snacks to try" list! Can't wait! :Pinkbounc

Jerseygirl63
05-08-2006, 09:51 AM
What is a zebra dome? :confused3 Thanks

dkostel
05-08-2006, 11:12 AM
I actually prefer the citrus swirls next to the Tiki Room in WDW. They are orange juice and vanilla swirled soft serves. YUM!

disneyfreak1
05-08-2006, 11:55 AM
So, they're non-dairy? I've always thought they were made with Ice Cream, so we've never gotten one for my son who is allergic to dairy products.

WillCAD
05-08-2006, 12:29 PM
YUMMY!!

What disneyfreakjackie pictured here is one of several variations available from Aloha Isle. This one is a Pineapple Float, which consists of pineapple or vanilla or both soft serve, floating in straight pineapple juice. It's great, but make sure you're a real pineapple lover!

The other variations are simply pineapple soft serve or vanilla soft serve, or pinapple/vanilla twist.

Dole Whips do make a refreshing treat on a hot day, or a great desert after a counter-service meal.

La2kw
05-08-2006, 07:11 PM
So, they're non-dairy? I've always thought they were made with Ice Cream, so we've never gotten one for my son who is allergic to dairy products.

Well, they are lactose free. There are some milk derivatives in it, which may still be a problem for your son. Here's the ingredient list from Precisionfoods.com:

Dole Pineapple Soft Serve Frozen Dessert

INGREDIENTS: Sugar, Dextrose, Pineapple Crystals, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Stabilizers (Cellulose, Locust Bean, Guar, Xanthan, Karaya Gum, Pectin), Sodium Silico Aluminate, Vegetable Fiber, Citric Acid, Artificial Flavor, Sodium Caseinate (A Milk Derivative), Mono & Diglycerides, Sodium Citrate, Salt, Dipotassium Phosphate, Articial Color Including F.D. & C. Yellow #6.

(They taste much better than this ingredient list makes them sound.) ;)

Magic2000
05-08-2006, 08:49 PM
I LOVE Dole Whips! On our last family trip, my DH and two older DDs would not wait for me while I stood in line to get a Dole Whip. They were too anxious to see the fireworks. I didn't get to get my Dole Whip and I was very sad. They hurt my feelers. (Maybe that's why they didn't get to go last summer...)

But this trip, come heck or high water, I AM getting my Dole Whip! Na Nanny Boo Boo to them!! :lmao: Next time anybody does not wait for Damouse, they will get voted off the island, and you know what that means!!!

ThunderMTexpert
05-09-2006, 03:39 PM
magic2000-i don't remember this.. if it was food, are u sure i woulnt wait for u?? :confused3 bc fireworks arent that big of a deal 4 me.- LOL- i wait with mum this time 4 sure!! :banana: :wizard: :Pinkbounc :love:

WebmasterCricket
05-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Mmmmm! Dipotassium Phosphate! :)

barbmouse
05-09-2006, 06:07 PM
about Dole Whips............Read my tag!!

Now What is a Zebra Dome and where does one get it????

dnbent
05-09-2006, 06:16 PM
Zebra domes are a wonderful mousse like dessert available at Boma. If I remember correctly it is a chocolate, peanut butter fluffy delicious little items.

Boma has a great dessert assortment.

Silverraindrop84
05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
Yes I agree a dole whip is a must have treat! that is when the place is open... But i never heard of a zebra dome before??

jezebella
05-31-2006, 05:08 PM
WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

Dole whips are addictive and can cause normal people to go out of their way every weekend to satisfy the urge! Use with extreme caution.

DF found these out 2 weeks ago and he's since had 5, count them, 5 Pineapple Floats. Now....he's talking about going to MK tomorrow after work just to walk around...BAH! I KNOW HIS TRICKS! It's a Pineapple Float he wants!

exwdwcm
05-31-2006, 05:18 PM
love dole whips- i get the float, with pineapple/vanilla swirl ice cream! have been having them for years and also had one at the Dole Plantation on Oahu, Hawaii!

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
They're pretty good but to read it on these boards, you'd think nobody ever invented soft serve and pineapple syrup before.

TravelinGal
05-31-2006, 05:22 PM
:confused3 I had one. It was OK. Nothing to write home about. smoother/creamier than pineapple sherbet - but tastes just like sherbet. thought I'd never had one based on the raves here, but when I had it a few weeks ago, I realized I had eaten one before. So, no huge impression made on me. Different strokes for different folks.

TravelinGal
05-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Direct from Disney Kitchens:

We are pleased that during your recent visit to Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge you expressed interest in some of our recipes. It is our pleasure to provide you with these requests.

The culinary team at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge always feels it is an honor when a guest expresses pleasure in a menu selection from one of our restaurants. The items on the menu at the Animal Kingdom Lodge have been developed and tested thoroughly to ensure our guests enjoy the best possible dining experience.

Please remember these recipes are normally produced in larger quantities than needed for home consumption. While the culinary staff has adjusted the recipes to more closely suit your needs, you may need to adjust the spices and seasonings to achieve the exact taste you desire.

Ms. xxxxxxxxx, we hope you enjoy this tasty repast as much in your home as you did during your visit to Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. If we may be of further assistance or if you have any questions regarding this or any other recipe, please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

The Culinary Team at
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge

ZEBRA COFFEE DOME
Boma – Flavors of Africa
Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients

1 pound Milk Chocolate
4 cups Heavy Cream
5 each Egg Yolks
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon Sugar
6 sheets Gelatin
½ cup Kahlua Liqueur
¼ cup Espresso Coffee
Yellow Cake
¾ cup White Chocolate Ganache
¼ cup Dark Chocolate Ganache

Method of Preparation

1. Melt milk chocolate in a medium size bowl over a hot water bath.
2. Whip heavy cream to soft peaks.
3. Whisk yolks with sugar in a small bowl.
4. Soften gelatin leaves in cold water, and remove the excess water.
5. Mix gelatin with Kahlua and coffee. Set bowl over hot water bath to dissolve the gelatin.
6. Fold 1/3 of whipped cream into the chocolate.
7. Add the yolks, then the gelatin mixture.
8. Fold in the rest of the cream.
9. Pour mousse in flexipan domes almost to the top.
10. Place sponge circle (1/4” thick yellow cake cut in a circle) on top. Leave in the freezer to set.
11. Once hard, unmold and place in glazing racks.
12. Make white chocolate ganache and chocolate ganache.
13. To make the chocolate ganache, heat 1 cup of heavy cream in a stainless steel pot. Once hot, pour over chopped 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate in a bowl. Add 1½ ounces of butter until well combined. Set aside at room temperature.
14. To make white chocolate ganache, heat 1 quart of heavy cream in a stainless steel pot. Once hot, pour over chopped 2 pounds 8 ounces white chocolate. Stir until well combined. Set aside at room temperature.
15. Put chocolate ganache in a pastry bag. Ladle white chocolate ganache to cover each dome. Simultaneously, pipe a stripe design of chocolate ganache over the dome.
16. Refrigerate to allow the glaze to set.

Note: Six sheets of gelatin is equal to 1 ½ packets (each packet has ¼ ounce) of
unflavored powdered gelatin dissolved in ¼ cup of water.

TravelinGal
05-31-2006, 05:30 PM
found on the web

Pineapple 'dole" whips

Prep: 10 min.

Freeze: 3 hrs.

Makes: 8 servings

2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE Crushed Pineapple
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/3 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped

Drain pineapple; reserve 2 tablespoons juice. Set aside.

Place pineapple, lemon juice, lime juice, sugar and reserved pineapple juice in blender or food processor container. Cover; blend until smooth.

Pour into two 1-quart freezer zipped bags. Store bags flat in freezer. Freeze about 1-1/2 hours or until slushy.

Stir gently pineapple slush into whipped cream until just blended, in large bowl. Return to freezer until completely frozen, about 1 hour. Serve.