PDA

View Full Version : Easter Trip Restaurant Reviews

joemo
05-07-2006, 11:42 AM
Here is the review of our main meals for our 14 day Easter Trip. Iím a veggie, DH is a carnivore - the only vegetable he will eat is chips and DS6 who is a good eater. DS was always given crayons and a colouring sheet and generally had fish or chicken so he was always happy! We had ADRs and normally walked right in our waited a maximum of 10 minutes. Canít remember exactly what we had so Iíve given marks out of 10 for:
Non Veggie Food
Veggie Food
Drinks
Restaurant Ambiance
Serving Staff
Overall

Most Mornings and a Lunch
Captain Cooks - good selection and not normally long queue. Nice tables outside. A good counter service for a quick bite.

Mon 3rd April
Rainforest Cafť for lunch, only waited about 5 minutes, we have been here before, DS loves it. I had the veggie burger which was very good, DH had big choice and DS enjoyed his. Good wine choice.
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 9, Drinks - 9,Ambiance - 9, Staff - 8
Overall - 8

Garden Grill for dinner. Good character interaction (we saw Chip about 5 times!), thought the theme was dull, although the restaurant spins I couldnít see a lot in the dark. The food was OK but a bit plain. DS loved his cup cake to decorate though!
Non Veggie - 6, Veggie - 5, Drinks - 6, Ambiance - 1, Staff - 9
Overall - 6

Tuesday 4th April
Lunch at Tusker House. It was great to sit outside to eat and the bar was great. My veggie sandwich was superb. The queue was quite long though.
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 10, Drinks - 9, Ambiance - 9, Staff - 7
Overall - 8

Spirit of Aloha Show - I had phoned to order a veggie meal and the waiter knew about it, so that was very simple and efficient. The Show was the thing so we werenít expecting much in the way of food so were pleasantly surprised. The waiter was very good at keeping our drinks refilled as well!
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 9, Drinks - 10, Ambiance - 10, Staff - 10
Overall - 9

Wed 5th April
Dinner at Chefs de France. First time here. Food was nice if expensive, the waiter was very helpful, but I did feel rushed, particularly at the end, even though we left at 9.30pm.The veggie choice was OK, but a bit dull. Poor choice of wine for a French restaurant.
Non Veggie - 7, Veggie - 5, Drinks - 6, Ambiance - 8, Staff - 9
Overall - 7

Thurs 6th April
Dinner at the San Angel Inn. Was one of our favourites last year. ADR was 8pm, checked in at 7.50pm but didnít sit down to 8.30pm. Asked for the veggie menu (which I had last year) but the waiter just told me what the choices were. I didnít hear the first option, so again asked for the veggie menu, waiter just repeated what he had already said, didnít feel he was interested. Again felt pressurised to leave as the waiter brought the bill before we had finished our sweets, admittedly it was 9.50pm but we had only sat down 80 minutes before. Great margaritas though and DH really enjoyed his enchilada.
Non Veggie - 9, Veggie - 5, Drinks - 9, Ambiance - 8, Staff - 3
Overall - 7

Fri 7th April
Cosmic Rays for lunch - nice burger place, good choice of food.

Just the two of us at the California Grill for dinner. This is our favourite restaurant from last year, DH wore his kilt and looked great. We loved the menu, the wine list and the attentive waitress. A highlight was going onto the balcony for the fireworks. A brilliant place. I had the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli, Roasted Eggplant Timbale and Chocolate, Chocolate, Caramel. DH doesnít remember what he had except it was Ďfabulousí!
Non Veggie - 9, Veggie - 9, Drinks - 10, Ambiance - 10, Staff - 9
Overall - 9.5

Sat 8th April
Early dinner (4.30pm) at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic package. Not sure about eating this early, although the place is very busy. I have flatbread and a pizza and DH has the same.
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 8, Drinks - 8, Ambiance - 7, Staff - 8
Overall - 8

Sun 9th April
House of Blues for dinner - the portions are absolutely huge - we ordered way too much. Enjoyed the atmosphere though.
Non Veggie - 9, Veggie - 9, Drinks - 9, Ambiance - 9, Staff - 9
Overall - 9

Mon 10th April
Dinner at Ohana, with a Castle view table and a wonderful setting for the Electric Water Pageant at 9pm and Wishes at 10pm. This was great and the table position was a bonus. DS loved the games and we all had a great time. A family highlight.
Non Veggie - 10, Veggie - 8, Drinks - 8, Ambiance - 9, Staff - 9
Overall - 9

Tues 11th April
Lunch at the 50s Prime Time Cafť. This was a favourite last year, and although the food was good our Ďcousiní was just too quiet! Itís the staff that make the meal here and he was just too subdued, unlike one of the waitresses who made a girl stand in the corner for talking on her mobile!
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 8, Drinks - 8, Ambiance - 8, Staff - 6
Overall - 8

Adult dinner at Wolfgang Pucks Dining Room. Despite negative reviews this was our best meal of the holiday, even slightly better than the California Grill. The service could not be faulted and the food was wonderful. Expensive but well worth it.
Non Veggie - 10, Veggie - 10, Drinks - 10, Ambiance - 9, Staff - 10
Overall - 10

Wed 12th April
Dinner at Jimmy Buffets Margartiville. OK, but not as good as I had expected. Food average and the drinks ordinary. Disappointed.
Non Veggie - 7, Veggie - 5, Drinks - 6, Ambiance - 8, Staff - 7
Overall - 6

Thurs 13th April
Character Breakfast at Ohana - good fun, nice selection of food and loads of characters. DS enjoyed the singing. We agree that we prefer Chef Mickeyís but this was fun.
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 7, Drinks - 7, Ambiance - 8, Staff - 8
Overall - 8

Dinner at Le Cellier. Another favourite from last year. Excellent food and good service. Veggie food nice but only one choice - and the cheese soup has bacon in it so I canít have that! DH had a fabulous steak though.
Non Veggie - 10, Veggie - 8, Drinks - 9, Ambiance - 9, Staff - 9
Overall - 9

Friday 14th April
Citricos for Dinner. Again DS wears his kilt. This is smart but our waiter is very quiet and dour, and the menu is a bit bland.
Non Veggie - 8, Veggie - 7, Drinks - 8, Ambiance - 8, Staff - 6
Overall - 7

Sat 15th April.
Raglan Road for dinner. Great atmosphere, the Irish dancer was wonderful and the music is really good. Nice menu with an good veggie choice and a varied kids menu. Great waitress.
Non Veggie - 9, Veggie - 9, Drinks - 9, Ambiance - 10, Staff - 9
Overall - 9

Alan the Foodie
05-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Are your ratings based on the taste of the food you ate, experience at the restaurant or what? My daughter as a veggie found the selections to be less than her previous trip and was disappointed several times at what was missing? If we ever visited Scotland we would look to you for advice as your tastes, though, seem to match ours! I'm the carnivore, my DW is flexible, DD is a veggie and DS eats chicken and Cherrios!

alan

joemo
05-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I've tried to rate the taste and choice of the food under the 'Veggie' and 'Non Veggie' selections and put my feelings for the restaurant itself under 'Ambiance'.

I found most places only had one or two veggie choices - buts thats OK with me as long as they are nice!

magicmouse2
05-07-2006, 12:11 PM
Are your ratings based on the taste of the food you ate, experience at the restaurant or what? My daughter as a veggie found the selections to be less than her previous trip and was disappointed several times at what was missing? If we ever visited Scotland we would look to you for advice as your tastes, though, seem to match ours! I'm the carnivore, my DW is flexible, DD is a veggie and DS eats chicken and Cherrios!

alan the OP has clearly stated what the reviews are scored on.
Iíve given marks out of 10 for: .......

Thanks for reviews :goodvibes

amarberry
05-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the reviews! DD and I are veggie and DH is a carnivore. A couple of questions, if you don't mind...

1. What was the sandwich like at Tusker House? We ate at Tusker House last Sept. and again on our trip in January. I loved the veggie sandwich in Sept. (it was on focaccia bread), but did not like the one in January (a pita sandwich). I'm curious if they are still selling the pita sandwich or if they have changed it.

2. What were you served at Ohanas? I've always wanted to try this restaurant since everyone seems to love it and the atmosphere sounds really fun, but I'm a little concerned about what they would serve a vegetarian.

Thanks!

joemo
05-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Hi, Tusker House was the pitta bread sandwich which I loved.

ĎOhanas was a special veggie mealÖ.all I can remember as there was a lot of it! I think it was a type of stir fry thing? Very nice though.

donaldtutter
05-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the reviews. What did you eat at Citricos?

Maggi May
05-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Great reviews!
I love the fact that your DH wore a kilt for your dinner at California Grill. Gotta love a man in a kilt!

joemo
05-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Citrico's I had Warm Onion Tart and the Ragout of Seasonal Vegetables. The food was nice, there was just no atmosphere there and the waiter was a misery-guts!

Yes Maggi May he looks great in a kilt!

averill94
05-08-2006, 06:40 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post reviews. Nice to hear you got a good veggie meal at Ohanas. Cant wait!
Thanks

Minniespal
05-08-2006, 06:45 AM
Enjoyed reading your report ~ Thanx for sharing.