PDA

View Full Version : Diabetics Dessert Delights!

Alan the Foodie
05-07-2006, 10:32 AM
It dawned on me that I haven't seen foods listed at restaurants that are particularily geared toward diabetics. Although I am sure it has been done in the past, it always pays to see what's new.

I'll start the thread with a few items. Best dessert for me was the sugar free chocolate mousse at the Norway Bakery. I'm sure it is the same as the Nestle Mousse available in supermarkets and when I come across the suger free version I intend to buy it to see. In the meantime, it was exceptional.

Best "halfway" dessert (one that is basically okay but then does something to make you have to decide what you are going to eat) is at the California Grill. They have a cheese platter that is more for the gourmand because it pairs exceptional cheeses with an exotic accompaniment. An example would be the honey with nuts or the pear aspic. They seem to be designed to smooth out the sharpness of a cheese such as a gorgonzola. Not the best for diabetics, but it's just a small amount to go with the cheese. Each bite ranges from "this is okay, I like this" to "Oh my God where did they find this." Needless to say you have to like cheese for this.

Most mundane dessert for me was the cheesecake at Boma. When we made our ADR we indicated one diabetic. They offered to remake several dishes that contained sugar and they made sugar free cheesecake that was more of a consideration than it was an actual special experience. I was more impressed with the dishes they redid so I could safely eat them. One could always stick with the carvings at oma to stay safe, but then you lose the experience, so I thank and applaud Boma for what they did for me.

I didn't have any of the sugar free Ice Cream though, did any of you? How was it?

Alan

sassyredhead
05-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Alan-I had the sugar free ice cream at Ghiradelli and thought it tasty. I mean, you can tell it's sugar free, but who cares?

Alan the Foodie
05-07-2006, 10:53 AM
You know, you're right about that! I never have had a sugar free Ice Cream I would pass up! Even the sugar free fat free ones seem good. Just the word Ghiradelli works for me! I can dream, can't I?

Alan

zurgswife
05-07-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm assuming your type 2 diabetic because the most of the items discussed wouldn't make any difference to a type 1 diabetic. Just wanted to point that out. My kids can eat all the sugared desserts they want they just need to know the carb counts...which is virtually impossible to get at WDW.

Lezah
05-07-2006, 06:57 PM
My only problem with the sugar free desserts at WDW is that they usually contain Malitol which flares my IBS hugely (major diarrhea, stomach cramps - unbearably so) and I can't eat them. I wish they would have some selections which included Splenda in them as it is so widely available now. I just have a small portion of a regular dessert (share with DS) which has worked fine so far. Splenda has been the only artificial sweetner that has worked for me so far. ANy of the others has made me very sick.

Hawkdisfan
04-22-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the info. We plan to eat at Boma. Need to call ahead to let them know we have one diabetic.

CarolMN
04-22-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm assuming your type 2 diabetic because the most of the items discussed wouldn't make any difference to a type 1 diabetic. Just wanted to point that out. My kids can eat all the sugared desserts they want they just need to know the carb counts...which is virtually impossible to get at WDW.FWIW, I'm a type 2 diabetic and most of the items discussed won't work for me, either. Sugar isn't the only carb that impacts a type 2 diabetic's blood sugar - a lot of the ingredients in the sugar-free desserts (even if they contain splenda or a sugar alcohol) turn to sugar almost as soon as they pass your lips! (flour, ice cream, milk, etc. for example). So I need to know the carb count, too. I usually have to skip dessert - sometimes I can get fresh berries with a little cream, though.

FWIW, I found your info on AllEarsNet to be helpful - so thanks for doing it!

2BusyPlanning
04-22-2007, 06:06 PM
My daughter (now 14) loves pretty much everything sugar free at WDW. She has been type 1 since the age of 8 and is used to the taste already. I like that they have treats available. Just like Zurgswife, she can pretty much eat anything, but we like to limit the dessert part of it. She also carb counts and calculates that for her insulin. And my DD very much likes the sugar free ice cream. :thumbsup2

Lisa Hale
04-22-2007, 09:21 PM
DH is a Type 1 and always limits regular sugar desserts to 2-3 bites unless his glucose levels are very low. Normally he skips cake/cookie/pie type desserts altogether and sticks with the cheese plate so the proteins help balance out the sugar levels. I am Type 2 and am no longer on insulin (originally had gestational diabetes and then later developed Type 2/insulin dependent and was able through very careful diet to wean off insulin altogether). I watch my diet closer than he does, but not by much.

When we have been at WDW restaurants (TS/non-buffet), we will usually order a fresh fruit plate for dessert (if they don't have a cheese plate on the menu), but ask for it to be brought with the meal. That way the fruit balances better as we eat it with a high protein/lower carb meal than if eaten after the meal as strictly dessert. Every place that we have asked to do this has been great about it and many of them will ask if we eat cheeses and usually combines some with the fruit plate.

It is lighter than traditional desserts, but ends up as a nice accompaniment.