PDA

View Full Version : Dress code?

old lost boy
05-07-2006, 08:45 AM
DW and I leave Friday (hooray). We are planning to eat at California Grill and Blue Zoo among some others. When I called to make our ADR I was told that the dress code for those two was business casual. Is this a suggestion or a rule? We've eaten at California grill several times in the past and I wore shorts. Something new?

bicker
05-07-2006, 08:51 AM
All rules are suggestions. Disney relies on the integrity of their guests to comply with things like the dress code policy.

Short, however, aren't necessarily in violation of the dress code. Nice dress shorts are considered completely appropriate in the hot Florida sun.

Peter Pirate
05-07-2006, 09:13 AM
It is bicker's opinion only that Disney rely's on what he calls "integrity" of the guests to comply with the code. The fact is the code is a very loose suggestion that is never enforced. I had a recent thread in which I told of my experience last weekend. I made reservations at Artist Point and was told "There is a business casual dress code. This means no beach attire." This was a verbatum quote.

Disney only cares that you are presentable and have money.
pirate:

BCV23
05-07-2006, 10:05 AM
Disney only cares that you are presentable and have money.
pirate:

And that would be Peter's opinion. ;)

Mine is that WDW does care or they wouldn't go to the bother of making such an explicit list of what is considered Business Casual. Although the CM told Peter that it just meant no beach wear, in my experience if you ask the CM to read what it means, the list is pretty explicit in the last year or two. Include are collared shirts and most men comply with that. But if someone wears a Tshirt and is presentable, I doubt they would be refused entry because WDW cares so much about its guests' happiness.

So I think bicker is correct when he says that WDW is relying on guests to comply.

And yes, this is my opinion. :sunny:

Happily for the OP, the list does include business shorts.

bicker
05-07-2006, 10:22 AM
It's Peter's opinion only that it is my opinion only. :lmao:

What's really funny is that the rest of Peter's message agreed with what I wrote, 100%. :rotfl:

eeyoregirl
05-07-2006, 10:26 AM
It's only my opinion, by why would anyone want to go to an expensive restaurant wearing flip-flops and halter tops or tank tops? If I am spending that kind of money, I am going to dress up--at least a little. Otherwise, I would feel really out of place. :teeth:

kaytieeldr
05-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Happily for the OP, the list does include business shorts.
Business shorts? Isn't that sort of oxymoronic? (the term, NOT the poster!)

bicker
05-07-2006, 10:36 AM
why would anyone want to go to an expensive restaurant wearing flip-flops and halter tops or tank tops? Well, I could say why would anyone want to go to an expensive restaurant and order chicken! :rotfl: Folks have different tastes. If the restaurant encourages such attire, I see nothing wrong with enjoying culinary artistry while dressed that way.

Alan the Foodie
05-07-2006, 10:43 AM
When going to the California Grill, my daughter made sure I was dressed in a collared shirt and slacks for an 8:00 dinner. We were waiting to give our names when the couple in front of us with no ADR asked about possible seating as they were guests in the contemporary. Although their dress was certainly less than anything I wore to the parks (T shirts and shorts) and they were older than I (51) they were told about 1 1/2 hours, and they agreed. The staff didn't mention to change and obviously these people had hoped for immediate seating, so dress seems to e preference over hardcore rules.

Alan

eeyoregirl
05-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I agree and acknowledge that people have different tastes. Whether people are chicken-eaters, beef-eaters, or [fill in the blank]-eaters, I think that people should dress appropriately according to where they are dining. As I posted before, this is my opinion. :rolleyes:

bicker
05-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I think that people should dress appropriately according to where they are dining.As do I. Sorry for my confusion: I thought you were implying that all expensive restaurants should have a dress code that prohibits flip-flops and halter tops or tank tops. My mistake.

BCV23
05-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Business shorts? Isn't that sort of oxymoronic?

:rotfl:
I know. I think I laughed the first time I heard it. But I think it is WDW's way of discouraging cutoffs or short shorts while indicating nice walking shorts are OK in the FL heat. Actually, they do mention no cutoffs.

Although I guess nice shorts are still acceptable business attire in Bermuda. :sunny:

blueroses
05-07-2006, 11:41 AM
It's only my opinion, by why would anyone want to go to an expensive restaurant wearing flip-flops and halter tops or tank tops? If I am spending that kind of money, I am going to dress up--at least a little. Otherwise, I would feel really out of place. :teeth:

Ask that to the hoards of people who were at CA Grill in their themepark finest when I was there last month. So tacky.

And, yes, before anyone asks, it does matter to me how other people look when I'm out dining. No matter how good the food is, you can't just build a cocoon around your table and completely forget the other patrons. The thing is people (with the notable acception of the fine people on the DIS, I'm sure) act differently when they are wearing nicer clothes. They are a little quieter, a little more respectful of the establishment where they are dining.

I don't mean that men need to wear jackets and ties and women need to wear dresses and pantyhose (I'd never wish that on anyone in the FL heat). Wear your long shorts and a nice shirt. Go back to your room to freshen up after a day at the parks. Most people don't have to be explicitly told things like this.

My husband and I ate at AP on our last trip and he asked me why other guests were wearing jeans and I insisted he put on khakis before we went down there. I told him they must not have wives who care.

Quinn222
05-07-2006, 11:52 AM
And, yes, before anyone asks, it does matter to me how other people look when I'm out dining. .

I'm right there with you. Instead of worrying if WDW really means it wouldn't it be nice if people were just courteous to fellow diners who might be trying to have a nice evening out and don't really want to be sitting downwind of their sweaty theme park clothes or looking at their hairy armpits. It's not that hard to put on dressier shorts or slacks or a skirt and a clean shirt that doesn't have a phrase or a mouse on it.

JMO of course and it doesn't apply to most places but the Signature places where they tell you it's business casual I don't think it's too much to ask for guests to follow it.

bicker
05-07-2006, 11:56 AM
I believe a comment like, "they must not have wives who care," is out-of-line, and perhaps even tackier than folks neglecting to comply with a host's declared dress code. :confused3

Most people don't have to be explicitly told things like this.That's a good point, and goes along with "don't deceive Disney about your children's ages," "don't use hotel pool facilities at hotels you're not registered at," and "don't ignore posted signs saying refillable mugs are only good at the one hotel for the one vacation trip." However, it is becoming obvious that that which people have traditionally not needed to be explicitly told they now need to be explicitly told, and perhaps for some of these things the only way people will do what is right is if there is some police presence monitoring the situation! :)

blueroses
05-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I believe a comment like, "they must not have wives who care," is out-of-line, and perhaps even tackier than folks neglecting to comply with a host's declared dress code.

I stand by it. It's along the same lines as "they must not have been raised right," which is a sentiment I heard used a lot growing up in the South (not using toward me, just in conversation).

bicker
05-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Equally out-of-line and tacky, IMHO. I think we can rest comfortably talking about specific actions and behaviors as bad, but it isn't good to label people.

blueroses
05-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Truce, bicker.
I lurk a lot and agree with many of your thoughts. And, even if I didn't, I do not mean to provoke you or anyone else.

El Tel
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
I'm taking good note of this as I'm planning to go to the California Grill in October - unless convinced otherwise. I'm packing my best costume :clown: especially ;)
I'm also intending to go to the Brown Derby. I thought it is a 'fine dining' restaurant too, but the CM at WDW-DINE didn't say anything about dress code. Is there one for BD?

BCV23
05-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I'm also intending to go to the Brown Derby. I thought it is a 'fine dining' restaurant too, but the CM at WDW-DINE didn't say anything about dress code. Is there one for BD?

No, there is not. :sunny:

bicker
05-07-2006, 04:38 PM
If true, that would be the only signature restaurant without a dress code (which would make sense, since it is the only one in a theme park).

BCV23
05-07-2006, 04:51 PM
If true, that would be the only signature restaurant without a dress code (which would make sense, since it is the only one in a theme park).

"If true...."!!!! :rolleyes:

Last week you doubted that I had a newer DDP brochure than you even though I was at WDW at the time. You also couldn't get your head around the fact that the snack choices had expanded exponentially. :confused3 :lmao:

We've been dining at Brown Derby since MGM opened and it has never had a dress code. We had lunch there a week ago today.

It also makes sense as you granted but on the other hand, Le Bistro which is also inside a theme park supposedly does have one. That I can't confirm because we have not dined there in some years. Way back then, it had no dress code.

IMGONNABE40!
05-07-2006, 05:27 PM
:listen:

I've just heard my calling...I will join the Disney dress code police!

(PS I have always wanted to use that smiley!)

old lost boy
05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Can't we all just get along? I guess my question should have been what does Disney call business casual. I have no intention of wearing a tank top (don't own one). But to me "business casual" would be dress slacks and a dress shirt. As long as Disney considers dress shorts appropriate I'm a happy camper.

Uncleromulus
05-08-2006, 07:22 AM
Just back from WDW and thought I'd chime in here before I begin posts about reviews, etc.
The Disney "Your handy Guide to all the Magic" hand-out that we got when arriving at OKW has the "signature" restaurants highlighted at the beginning of the restaurants section. The "business casual" dress code is there-- in writing!! In addition, under theme park "signature" dining, there stands the Brown Derby!! Along with Bisrto D Paris.
I won' t comment further except to say that the dress code was NOT enforced at ANY of the 6 signature restaurants where we ate--saw flip-flops, tank tops, SHORT shorts, dungaree shorts,T-shirts, and even a couple of baseball hats being worn at dinner. The only things I didn't see were
torn clothing or bathing suits.Should add tho that the overall dress code compliance seemed to be at about 80% or so--with as many shorts and collared shirts as there were slacks and collared shirts. And in the "jeans pants" category, saw one or two fellows who's jeans appeared to be right off the construction site...only thing missing were the hammer, screwdrivers, etc hanging out of the pockets.
Again--no comments as to appropriateness etc--just careful observations on the actual, current situation.

majortom
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM

I go to good restaurants for good food and service. I do not care how you or anyone else is dressed or how they look (I might care if the person sitting at a nearby table smelled). Just as I do not think that restaurants should refuse to seat people that are obese, ugly, old, young, black, blond, etc., but instead should focus on making sure that their food and service is so good that I do not pay attention to anything else.

You have a different view.

/carmi

bicker
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
the overall dress code compliance seemed to be at about 80% or soThat is encouraging, Unc. Thanks for the info.

Peter Pirate
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
the overall dress code compliance seemed to be around 80% or so.
That's about the percentage I'd bet it's always been with a code, with no code, whatever.

majortom, another excellent post.

Uncle I wished I'd known you were in the world I would have bought you a cold Safari Amber at AKL.
pirate:

majortom
05-08-2006, 01:25 PM
who might be trying to have a nice evening out and don't really want to be sitting downwind of their sweaty theme park clothes or looking at their hairy armpits.

I am not clear as to whether your concern is what one wears or if one smells and is sweaty. If one has to walk around a theme park all day, in a dress shirt and dress pants, one will get just as sweaty (if not more so) as one will in A&F shorts and a Disneyland Paris T-shirt.

It's not that hard to put on dressier shorts or slacks or a skirt and a clean shirt that doesn't have a phrase or a mouse on it.

It is not that hard if one is staying in the hotel where the restaurant is located (or a monorail hotel if one starts at Magic Kingdom), but most any where else, it is a big deal, and can add much more than an hour to one's trip to get to a restaurant. That might not be a big deal to you, but to many that is a hardship.

I think it is particularly silly at restaurants like those actually in parks (e.g. Brown Derby).

/carmi

Alan the Foodie
05-08-2006, 05:30 PM
Personally, I must admit that I notice no one else at any table because I am so into the food (I'm not saying I don't notice the food at other tables) and whomever I am with because I so want to enjoy what I eat. My DW pointed out that most people don't like the Tommorrowland Noodle Shop, but I on the other hand really enjoyed the veggie bowl as it's flavor was exactly what I expected and was greatly similar to the Udon bowls served at one of our local Japanese establishments. Bottom line though, I could not tell you what anyone was wearing in any of our meal stops, but I can descibe at length the dinning experiences!

Alan the Foodie