PDA

View Full Version : Dining Reviews 4/28/06-5/6/06 (AKA The Herbivore vs The Carnivore on the Dining Plan)

sassyredhead
05-07-2006, 08:26 AM
We had some fabulous meals during our recent jaunt to the World and I just had to share! Keep in mind the only meat I eat is fish and my DH is a devout meat-eater, so these reviews will satisfy both veggie lovers and carnivores alike! :)

4/28/06-Hoop Dee Doo Review. I made our reservations back in October for this show, and our seats were front and center. We were one table away from the stage! The show was a riot. This is definitely NOT a Hoop Dee Don't! The show put us in a great mood for the start of the trip. Now on to the food review . . .

On the Magical Express Bus on the way to the hotel, I called the HDDR office and ordered a vegetarian meal in lieu of the standard fare. Our server immediately knew of my special request and brought it out with no prompting during the entree portion of the meal. The grilled vegetables were delicious! Very flavorful and filling. My favorite grilled veggie was the huge mushrooms. My husband loved the fried chicken, corn, and that honey butter. We both loved the salad. Hubby said the ribs were a tad dry. I had the unlimited White Zin. The jokes defintely got funnier as the evening progressed. :blush:

Rating: A- (Dry ribs, fun and meal worth the 2 DP credits)

4/29/06-Whispering Canyon Cafe. What a hoot! My daughter loved this place. She had such fun delivering ketchup and watching her dad dance like a daisy! Fun, fun place to take kids.

The food-I had the grouper sans the bacon, which was good if a tad watery. My daughter, unless other noted, will always have the chicken stips and is happy. DH, loveable beast that he is, had some sort of steak, which he said was delicious. Appetizers were salads, which were standard and not special. For dessert, chocolate cake for DH and DD; fruit for me. Both good!

Rating: Fun Factor (A+++), Food (B)

4/30/06-Princess Storybook Lunch in Norway @ Epcot. My 8 year old DD's joy upon meeting her favorite princess, Ariel, was priceless. I could have been eating bread and butter for all I cared since she was so happy she almost cried . . . We also met Mulan, Jasmine (on whom my husband now has a crush as she is gorgeous), and Alice.

But, thankfully, I didn't have to eat just bread and butter! I thought the cold appetizer bar neat and unusual. I loved the mushroom appetizer and the plate of cheeses. The salad was lovely. My husband liked the cold meats and cheeses. For the entree, I ordered the salmon and pasta combo, which I liked. The pasta flavoring was a little too pungent for my tastes, so I didn't eat much of that. DH had the lamb, which he said was "ehh." I liked the rice cream for dessert the best . . .

Rating: Joy factor (A++), Food (B-)

5/1/06-The Brown Derby with Fantasmic Package. Best tasting food thus far in the trip.

I had the Sesame Seared Ahi Tuna. I loved it! The Wasabi-infused potatoes were to die for. I adore sushi, and this entree reminded me so much of my favorite food. DH had the Char-grilled Filet Mignon, which he loved. For dessert, I had the grapefruit cake, which was delcious. DH ordered White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Praline Cheesecake. He said it was very rich but tasty.

Rating: Food (A), Fantasmic package (A+ because this show is a definite must-see)

5/2/06-Liberty Tree Tavern @ Magic Kingdom. Again, I ordered the veggie entree in lieu of the meat plate. Good but I'm not sure why they covered the veggies in fried onions? I just picked them off as I don't usually eat fried foods. Also, the chef went a little crazy with the tabbouleh! He sprinked copious amounts all over the plate. But, once I scraped off the dry tabbouleh, the veggies underneath were great. Be warned the plate is huge! I probably ate a third of the portion. My husband liked the ham and turkey; beef a litte dry. DD and DH did not like the stuffing nor the mac and cheese. Reportedly the mashed potatos were mediocre. The apple dessert was yummy! Characters were great. I hadn't realized how funny the characters can be! Goofy kept teasing Minnie and left my daughter in stitches.

Unfortunately, service lacked a bit @ LTT. Our server was never to be found, water glasses remained unfilled, she forgot about my veggie entree so by the time I was served the rest of the fam was halfway through their meals.

Rating: Food (B-), Characters (A), Service (C)

5/3/06-Ohana at the Polynesian. We had a ressie at 7:40pm as our Disney Dining castmember wanted to make sure we saw Wishes during dessert. Did we ever! Our table was right by the window and, as we munched happily on the banana dessert, we sighed over the fireworks show from the MK. A beautiful moment!

I really enjoyed the food here. I did not order any special entrees as I could eat the shrimp, which was delicious, and most of the sides. I really liked the potatoes and the salad. I adored the dessert, but I LOVE anything with bananas in it.

My daughter had fun learning to Hula dance and my husband was in ecstacy admist all that MEAT! :rotfl2:

Rating: Service (A+), Atmosphere (A), Food (A)

5/4/06-Le Cellier (My Birthday Meal). Every rave review you've ever read is absolutely true! I can't say enough about this restaurant . . .

For appetizers, my DH ordered the salad, which he loved. I ordered the shrimp which came in a clever arrangement with a Chinese take-out box. Remember that I love sushi? Well, the shrimp was accompanied by a wasabi-infused cole slaw, which I loved!

For entrees, my husband ordered the 7 oz. Filet Mignon. When he loves something he's eating, he gets very quiet, and after the first bite, I didn't hear a peep from him the reminder of the entree. He said it was on the top five steaks he's ever had in his life, and he's had a lot. I had the Seared King Salmon. Tender and perfectly cooked! I loved the maple sauce.

For dessert, I picked the sampler and DH had the Celebration Whiskey cake. Celebration cake was a bit dry, but we both adored the Creme Brulee.

As a side note, the staff really made me feel special on my b-day. As soon as a staff member spied my b-day pen, he/she was quick to say happy birthday and make sure my trip to this restaurant was memorable.

Rating: Atmosphere (A+, romantic), Food (A+), Service (A+) This was the best OVERALL dining experience we had on our trip.

5/5/06-No Table Service Meal

5/6/06-Breakfast at Boatwright's. What a way to end our trip. Our ME bus left at 9am, so at 7:45 we stopped by Boatwright's unplanned and were seated immediately with no wait. Thank goodness we decided to stop as the food was delicious! I had the veggie omlet with eggbeaters plus fruit in lieu of meat/potatoes, which was very yummy. DH had french toast and eggs, and DD had the Mickey pancake. We all devoured everything. I had a bite of the French toast and it knocked my socks off. Can you say yummy? My daughter loved the Mickey pancakes, both the presentation and the toast. What a happy way to end our trip to the World!

Rating: Food (A+), Service (A++, we had an extremely attentive and talkative waitress)

PS-For those hestitant to make ADR's, DO IT! I saw a few frazzled moms crying outside both WCC and The Brown Derby because the wait was over 2 hours or the restaurant was not taking walk-ins. If you want to eat at a sit-down restaurant, I highly recommend making ressies.

Hope these reviews were helpful!

Princess4Eeyore
05-07-2006, 08:40 AM
:thumbsup2 THANK YOU for the wonderful reviews - and the details - I enjoyed reading them! Sounds like you had lots of fun. :cool1:

cdntourguide
05-07-2006, 08:59 AM
Great review.
Now I can't wait to get to Le Cellier.

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

Luvamouse
05-07-2006, 09:23 AM
What a terrrific review/reviews and I love the way you chose to do it. Nice to see such different tastes satisfied so well.

wildernesslodgelover
05-07-2006, 03:52 PM
I really enjoyed your reviews, probably because I agree with them! I haven't been to HDDR yet, but will be going in Oct and I just made my ADR so hopefully we will get the same table, since you made your ADR 6 omnths out also. What other wines were available for "all you can drink?" I am hoping there was a chardonnay.

At Akershus I LOVE the cold buffet also. I had the lamb, too, and as much as I love lamb, it was not so good there, so I agree w/your DH.

I did the Brown Derby FDP also, and this was also our surprise of the trip, we were CRAZY about it and can't wait to eat there again!

I have never eaten at LTT and really don't have too much of a desire to. After your review, I have even less desire! I know many people love it, so we will probably try it eventually.

I am impressed that as a pescatarian (sp) you went to Le Cellier on your birthday! I also love this place, but I LOVE a good steak. My DH also said his steak was the best he had ever had. I am drawing a blank right now as to what cut he had, though, but it was some giant bone in monster!

We also did breakfast at Boatwrights and were not expecting much, but were pleasantly surprised. I can't say i would drive from another resort to eat there, but it was very good!

That Ohana view is incredible. I can only imagine it during WISHES...I think I would cry with joy. We have an ADR at Cal Grill in Oct and our ressie is timed to coincide w/Wishes...i can't wait! :bounce:

Ok, thanks for your reviews and letting me share my comments...I love to relive my trips through these boards! No one else in real life wants to listen to me babble on about WDW anymore! :sad2: :blush:

kaysmommie
05-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Great
Reviews! :thumbsup2

donaldtutter
05-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Awesome reviews! :) thanks.

melomouse
05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us!!!

gigi1313
05-07-2006, 06:03 PM
thanks for your reviews... sounds like you had some very nice meals :)

SLM
05-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Thank you for sharing your reviews-I remember taking my daughter to the castle for lunch (years ago, she's 23 now!) and I still remember the look of utter bliss on her face! Your little girl is darling-enjoy all the princess loving moments-they go by so quickly!

sassyredhead
05-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks to all for your compliments! Writing my reviews reminded me how much fun we had.

SLM-I know, I know. She's 8 going on 13 some days. This trip, though, she was a little girl through and through.

Wilderness Lodge Lover-Because I love to embarrass my DH, I take all the paper menus home (never the plastic ones--that would be stealing!) with me so I can look through them whenever I want to remember a vacation. So, looking at my filched menu from the HDDR, I see unlimited quantities of Chardonnay, White Zin, Sangria, and Merlot. So you too will be laughing louder as the show progresses! :)

Also, I'm from Kansas City, where we have a TON of steak houses. I actually prefer the taste of grilled veggies and fish from a steak house because the taste of the BBQ grill tends to seep into the veggies. If you're ever in KC, Jack's Stack BBQ has the best fire-seared veggies around. Yummy!

Kaycee
05-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the excellent reviews. I'm a vegetarian, and I've never been to HDD, so I especially enjoyed reading about your meal there. :)

Minniespal
05-08-2006, 05:49 AM
Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

missmun52
05-08-2006, 07:27 AM
really enjoyed the review :thumbsup2

eeyoregirl
05-08-2006, 07:35 AM
Thank you for your informative and detailed reviews. :)

Tinkerbell_Girl
05-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the great review!

budbeerlady
05-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Thanks! Sounds like a great trip!

lauritagoddess
05-08-2006, 09:38 AM
Wonderful reviews!!! :)