PDA

View Full Version : Why no boy themed character meals?!?!

limabeanmom2003
05-06-2006, 08:37 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but why are there no boy themed character meals? I would love a Toy Story character meal! Disney could even do a Pixar movies character meal and have Toy Story, Monsters Inc., Incdredibles, etc. make appearances. This would attract boys and girls. I think this type of character meal would be a huge hit and I just wonder why it isn't an option. Didn't they try something like this with princes around mother's day last year? What do ya'll think?

sarahg311@hotmail.co
05-06-2006, 08:57 PM
I have three young boys and I think that it is ridiculous that Disney does not offer one for the boys. It is totally unfair. I bet that there will be another stinkin princess character meal before there will ever be a boys! My vote is for a Star Wars character meal but we will take a Toy Story one. My boys are very excited about US/IOA because they actually do have a boys character meal with Spiderman!! How cool is that!!

Drake
05-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I agree totally! I was looking for something for my grandson...and...zip! :sad2:

Micca
05-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Disney just bought Pixar. I think you'll see a Toy Story meal soon. :earsboy:

Chip 'n Dale Express
05-06-2006, 11:01 PM
They actually WERE going to have a Toy Story breakfast... but after lots of research and polling, the Playhouse Disney characters won by a landslide. So, starting June 15th, Hollywood & Vine at the Disney-MGM Studios will have "Play 'n Dine" breakfast and lunch with all the Playhouse Disney characters.

roliepolieoliefan
05-06-2006, 11:54 PM
They actually WERE going to have a Toy Story breakfast... but after lots of research and polling, the Playhouse Disney characters won by a landslide. So, starting June 15th, Hollywood & Vine at the Disney-MGM Studios will have "Play 'n Dine" breakfast and lunch with all the Playhouse Disney characters.
No Offense Tyler, but it makes me wonder who Disney polled?

I have a 2 yo DD and when I asked her if she wanted to eat with JoJo , she immediately said NO! Plus I'm already subjecting my 8 yo DS to a Princess Dinner, I couldn't ask him to eat with Jo Jo too.

A Toy Story or Monsters Inc, or even a Star Wars meal would have pleased them both.

I do believe in Disneys eyes , boys are second class!

MouseEarsJenny
05-06-2006, 11:58 PM
I concur! Our next trip is supposed to be my son's special trip (because his sister got one for her kindy graduation, now we're going for his) so I really wish there were a dinner/breakfast/etc. with some of his favorite characters! I'm sure the Incredibles, Toy Story, or Star Wars would be a HUGE hit.

jjatwdw
05-07-2006, 01:41 AM
I cannot believe that Playhouse Disney won over Pixar!!! Who did they poll? I've seen nothing but negative comments. They aren't even that great of Playhouse Disney characters either. With Disney buying Pixar you would think they would want to capitalize on it!!!

juliehry
05-07-2006, 01:45 AM
chef mickey and donald restaurantaous!

jncvh
05-07-2006, 07:36 AM
I would love to see some type of Pirates theme meal!!! Not for the kids but for myself. Maybe a BBQ type buffett, where you eat everything with your hands, maybe even a dinner show similar to Medevil Times but with pirates. :goodvibes

wifey
05-07-2006, 08:39 AM
They could do a meal with power rangers at MGM or Buzz and Woody, it would be great to include the boys in special meals too !! :grouphug:

glencoe
05-07-2006, 09:08 AM
It is so sad that I have a huge assortment of princess options (I have a 3 yr old princess: ) and my poor boys (10 and 6) are sick of Crystal Palace (pooh and guys) -well not really sick of, we all still love it, but it would be great to have something for the boys!!! Pirates, Star Wars, Monsters Inc. , even a tour of the stunt show that just opened in MGM, I could think of a million things for boys-but nothing!!!!

I did book them on the Pirate Cruise out of the GF, which I hope my 10 yr old will deal w/! LOL

Come on Disney what about the boys!!! :yay:

mom2rb
05-07-2006, 09:11 AM
They could do a meal with power rangers at MGM or Buzz and Woody, it would be great to include the boys in special meals too !! :grouphug:

I don't think I love my boys enough to sit through a Power Rangers meal. I mean I love my boys alot, but that would be above and beyond what I could take. :teeth:

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 09:56 AM
I am surprised that Disney went with the playhouse disney theme vs. a toy story theme. Playhouse disney characters like JoJo and Goliath only reach a certain age of child (maybe 4 and under?) . In fact, my 3 year old doesn't even like JoJo and Goliath anymore. A pixar or toy story character breakfast would appeal to a much broader age group - my 3 yr old loves buzz and woody! Plus, as a parent, I would prefer a toy story breakfast. Come on Disney, give boys some options too! Don't get me wrong, I am not jealous of the parents who get up at the crack of dawn to make ADR for Cindy's. If toy story is popular enough to have an attraction at MK (and rumors indicate that other pixar movies will have attractions there soon) then why not a character meal also? I really think it would be a hit!

Here's my idea......since chef mickey's is at CR featuring Mickey and the gang and the character breakfast at poly is also mickey and friends, why not make the Polynesian breakfast character meal toy story themed. It's never crowded there anyway - I think most people do chef mickey's instead. I know the theme wouldn't fit the polynesian, but so what. Ohana doesn't do a character dinner, so it would only be breakfast with toy story characters. I think this would bring in more guests to breakfast at the polynesian. I know we would go!!!

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 10:22 AM
My DH is not surprised that Playhouse Disney won out over Toy STory. He said it's because Playhouse characters are contemporary and will reach more people.

shellybaxter
05-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Here's my idea......since chef mickey's is at CR featuring Mickey and the gang and the character breakfast at poly is also mickey and friends, why not make the Polynesian breakfast character meal toy story themed. It's never crowded there anyway - I think most people do chef mickey's instead. I know the theme wouldn't fit the polynesian, but so what. Ohana doesn't do a character dinner, so it would only be breakfast with toy story characters. I think this would bring in more guests to breakfast at the polynesian. I know we would go!!!

The Poly breakfast has Lilo and Stitch (along with Mickey I think) and that is the reason must people go there. I thought the Stitch breakie would fill at least a bit of the "no boys" problems. I know girls like Stitch too, but isn't he more of a boy character?

BTW - Girls would love Toy Story, Monsters Inc, the Incredibles too. I can't think of a character group that would only appeal to boys. Can anyone else?

Crazy4mandms
05-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I am surprised that Disney went with the playhouse disney theme vs. a toy story theme. Playhouse disney characters like JoJo and Goliath only reach a certain age of child (maybe 4 and under?) .

I'm almost positive they went with this as part of their new program "Magical Beginnings" to reach families w/kids under age 5. Looks like that is going to be their focus in the near future.

I'm still hoping for a Disney VILLIANS meal/show!! We went offsite last trip to the Medieval Times dinner (awesome!) to find something geared towards my boys (now ages 10 and 14 and my Dneice age 17) otherwise we never leave property...Disney lost almost $150 on us eating there instead of on property. I also wish they would expand their souvenir selection of vilians gear....all they really have is the one store at MGM...not enough of a selection for us!

As for the boys, esp teen boys....my 14 yr old DS is NOT coming with us this trip...has no interest (even with the big rides!!)...my 10 yr old DS is already eyeing US/IOA (we went before stayed at Hard Rock Hotel..awesome for boys!) for all the 'villian-like' characters.

Don't get me wrong, we ABSOLUTELY LOVE the Magic, just wish there was a little more mixed in for the boys (Goofy and Donald can only last so long!)

Kitka
05-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Honestly? Things are only 'boy' things if you tell them they are. My son loved his 1900 GF Cinderella Dinner.

And Chef Mickey's, the Polynesian, and Crystal Palace offer characters that couldn't be considered anything byut gender neutral. I believe GF breakfast does too.

I don't see anything wrong with Disney offering more princess themed meals - boys have seen princess themed movies too. There are plenty of character meals out there that all children can enjoy!

crisi
05-07-2006, 12:04 PM

!!!! We always do the Poly character breakfast, and its always completely booked when we do it. We've waited 40 minutes past our ADR time to get seated. Don't know where you are getting "its never crowded there anyway."

Crazy4mandms
05-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Honestly? Things are only 'boy' things if you tell them they are. My son loved his 1900 GF Cinderella Dinner.

Honestly, there is a natural, obvious difference between boys and girls. I've never told my boys that they can't play with Barbie Dolls or dress up like Cinderella, but geesh....do they actually WANT to?? They go to female cousin's houses and there are Barbies and dress up and they can play away all they'd like, I don't find anything wrong with boys playing with dolls, etc.....but THEY choose not to. I wish my boys would want to go to a princess meal (besides wanting to gawk at them because they are good-lookin'!) because I think I would enjoy it...but they are boys through and through......what is wrong for wanting a meal where boys can dress like Rangers or Soldiers and rub elbows with their heroes (as a female I would LOVE this!)

We love doing the character meals with Mickey and Goofy, but to be amongst the villians or heroes would be awesome! And for the record, I'd take my daughter, too if she wanted to go (if I had one!)

heatherbelle
05-07-2006, 02:37 PM
I think we should all bombard Disney with E-mails letters etc, telling them how much we would all love a themed boy type meal, that will also appeal to girls, (don't want to upset the girls).

Personally, I would love to go see the princessess, but I travel with two boys and they always win. I would love to have breakfast with buzz and co.

Deeply, deeply dissappointed that the buz meal did not go ahead. Here in the UK, we haven't even heard of the playhouse thing, so they won't get many brits going.

DisneyDadof3
05-07-2006, 02:52 PM
How 'bout a hero breakfast - robin hood, peter pan, aladdin, incredibles, etc. pick 4 out of a rotation of 8 or 10.

Been_2_Disney
05-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I agree. I am a girl but I travel with my 8 y/o brother all the time. He only would take a picture with a Princess because my Mom made him. Honestly, I think we need a boy character meal.

DISNEYFAMILYOFFOUR
05-07-2006, 03:44 PM

This really, really, really surprises me. If it was not you who posted it, I would never believe it.

FigNewton
05-07-2006, 03:57 PM
I would love to see some type of Pirates theme meal!!! Not for the kids but for myself. Maybe a BBQ type buffett, where you eat everything with your hands, maybe even a dinner show similar to Medevil Times but with pirates. :goodvibes

Man, that really needs to happen. I think it would go over very well.

dizmomof2
05-07-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned it here yet but they had a "boy" themed dinner. It was a villians dinner at 1900 Parke Fare before they put the Cindrella dinner there. It was empty. They could not fill it. It only lasted about 6 months and they changed it to Cinderella. It filled right away. There was some rumours around at the time about a boy themed dinner but when that one failed I think they shelved the idea.

My DNephew was asked to do a survey for Disney and he asked for a boys themed dinner with "no princess allowed!" :rotfl2:

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 04:22 PM
!!!! We always do the Poly character breakfast, and its always completely booked when we do it. We've waited 40 minutes past our ADR time to get seated. Don't know where you are getting "its never crowded there anyway."

We do the character breakfast at Ohana every time we go to WDW and we have never seen it crowded and certainly have never had to wait.

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 04:23 PM
How 'bout a hero breakfast - robin hood, peter pan, aladdin, incredibles, etc. pick 4 out of a rotation of 8 or 10.
I love this idea!

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 04:31 PM

And Chef Mickey's, the Polynesian, and Crystal Palace offer characters that couldn't be considered anything byut gender neutral. I believe GF breakfast does too.

I don't see anything wrong with Disney offering more princess themed meals - boys have seen princess themed movies too. There are plenty of character meals out there that all children can enjoy!

My 3 yr old boy has no interest in princesses and unless he asked to go to one of the princess meals, I would never take him. I know he would rather see Mickey and the gang at a meal. I just believe that it would be nice to have another choice for character dining other than princesses. A pixar type of character meal would appeal to all. Let's face it, while there are some boys that go to the princess meals, the majority of children are female. Disney has a huge hit with these princess meals. Parents buy the princess dresses, take their daughters to the character meals, and then the kids wear the princess gowns around the park.

crisi
05-07-2006, 05:43 PM
I think we should all bombard Disney with E-mails letters etc, telling them how much we would all love a themed boy type meal, that will also appeal to girls, (don't want to upset the girls).

Personally, I would love to go see the princessess, but I travel with two boys and they always win. I would love to have breakfast with buzz and co.

Deeply, deeply dissappointed that the buz meal did not go ahead. Here in the UK, we haven't even heard of the playhouse thing, so they won't get many brits going.

Its been done. Repeatedly. You are, of course, welcome to send your own letter, but thousands have been sent. A petition went with over a thousand signatures. Disney seems to not want to do this simply because we ask.

They had a hero's breakfast for Mother's Day several years ago. Everyone said if it went well, it would be made permanent. It sold out in less than a day, went well, and no Hero's breakfast.

Then this latest "there is actually a casting call" for the Toy Story breakfast. Again, nothing.

Maybe by the time my kids have kids, Disney will decide to do something. In the meantime, all appearences are that they have no intention of following through on this. Reason unknown, but it isn't for lack of a lobbying effort.

They used to do a Villians dinner, but dropped that years ago as well. Suspicion at the time was too many little kids were scared, leaving too many unsatisifed guests (people will blame anyone but themselves when Junior is frightened of Cruella).

shellybaxter
05-07-2006, 06:17 PM
We do the character breakfast at Ohana every time we go to WDW and we have never seen it crowded and certainly have never had to wait.

Then how come you didn't know it was Lilo and Stitch now and not just Mickey? Maybe you haven't been since the change (niether have I so I have no first hand knowledge) and it is now crowded, with their addtion?

Shelly

cstraub
05-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Here are some meal suggestions for those of you looking for boy stuff to do:

Our boys have loved all of these:

Hoop dee doo (FW)
Mickeys Backyard Barbeque (FW)
Spirit of Aloha (POLY)
Breakfastasaurus (AK)
Chef Mickeys (CR)
Pirate Cruise (peanut butter and Jelly type lunch served)(GF)
Sci Fi (MGM)
Prime Time (MGM)
Liberty Tree Tavern (MK)
Crystal Palace (MK)

kaybird
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Doesnt' Cape May Buffet still have Admiral Goofy? The boys loved that as well as Breakfastasaurus. We dined in the castle, and in addition to the princesses, were surprised with Peter Pan and Captain Hook, (who got into a pretend battle that culminated in an accidental colision with waitstaff and resulted in a wizard of a crash, coffe pots plates etc...) Years ago there was also a meal at MGM that had the Alladin characters. The highlight of this meal was Jafar breaking our only blue crayon. My now adult sons still talk about this.

traviesojmt
05-07-2006, 06:58 PM

Sounds like a good idea to me too. While I agree that there are plenty of character meals that boys might like, there are none that are directed towards them. Let's be honest, my DS8 is way less than thrilled that we are going to the Princess Character Breakfast in Norway for DD3. Sure, he likes Mickey, Donald and others but so does DD. I hope that they do decide to have one directed at boys soon.

tonga
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
A Pixar meal would be great for both boys and girls. I don't have kids yet, but when I was a little girl I wasn't a girly girl and much preferred the animal characters. I'd have chosen Mickey and friends, Pooh and friends, and the Pixar characters (especially Monsters Inc.) over princesses.

Kitka
05-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Honestly, there is a natural, obvious difference between boys and girls. I've never told my boys that they can't play with Barbie Dolls or dress up like Cinderella, but geesh....do they actually WANT to?? They go to female cousin's houses and there are Barbies and dress up and they can play away all they'd like, I don't find anything wrong with boys playing with dolls, etc.....but THEY choose not to. I wish my boys would want to go to a princess meal (besides wanting to gawk at them because they are good-lookin'!) because I think I would enjoy it...but they are boys through and through......what is wrong for wanting a meal where boys can dress like Rangers or Soldiers and rub elbows with their heroes (as a female I would LOVE this!)

We love doing the character meals with Mickey and Goofy, but to be amongst the villians or heroes would be awesome! And for the record, I'd take my daughter, too if she wanted to go (if I had one!)

I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting a meal with hero figures, I just object to the gender sterotyping like 'boy' things and 'girl' things. But yes, I realized once I had a boy that he was drawn more strongly to certain things than my DD, whether that's societal or inherent.

I just want to see more diversified character meals, whether it's hero, villian, etc. based. I agree there is a need for that. I just find it hard to swallow calling princess dinners 'girl' meals and looking for something hero/villian/Toy Story based as a 'boy' thing. My somewhat 'tomboy' daughter and son who yes, enjoys watching Cinderella with his sister defy stereotypes so it's hard not to post when I read them.

Luv'sTink
05-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I was looking for boy stuff, guess I can stop looking now because they obviously don't have any...hmmm doesn't really seem fair. Isn't there a girls specialty shop for "princess" princess: stuff? Is there a specialty store like that for male pirate: costumes?

I'm not saying to take any of the girl stuff away just add a little something that boys would :yay: over.

MomofKatie
05-07-2006, 08:20 PM
I was looking for boy stuff, guess I can stop looking now because they obviously don't have any...hmmm doesn't really seem fair. Isn't there a girls specialty shop for "princess" princess: stuff? Is there a specialty store like that for male pirate: costumes?
There is, yes. The World of Disney store at DTD has a Princess Room for girls and an Adventure Room for boys- Pirate and Peter Pan themed. They have a make-your-own pirate hat station, and a fill-your-own treasure chest there. Very cool! There are pictures on www.allearsnet.com and in the DIS.

cstraub
05-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm not sure how to phrase this exactly but it seems as though things that are for girls are only for girls. Take for instance pink stollers or the princess breakfast. On the other hand, things that are for boys can usually be for boys or girls. Take for instance navy strollers and Chef Mickeys. It's always been that way.

I bet if you were to go through and name all the boy/everyone things to do at WDW and the girl only things there would be way more boy/everyone.

If Disney did do a boy dining experience I bet there would be lots of girls there too. My DD6 loves Power Rangers.

I'm glad they have some things geared towards girls. We're coming to a point finnaly in society that it's ok to wear pink and enjoy all things that are girl. I have started to notice that now there are car seats and stollers that are pink!! :cheer2: Not one to be found 6 years ago when DD was born.

The girl stuff at WDW is payback for all the years of the girls having to ride around in blue cars seats, navy stollers and for having to wear yellow and green because boys can't wear pink (think baby shower gifts). ;)

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Then how come you didn't know it was Lilo and Stitch now and not just Mickey? Maybe you haven't been since the change (niether have I so I have no first hand knowledge) and it is now crowded, with their addtion?

Shelly

What is the arguement here? All I am saying is that it has never been crowded when we have been there. That's my experience. Apparently your experience is different than mine. Now, the last time we were there was during the hurricanes in '04, so that would account for the low attendance. But, the times before that were never crowded either. . I can only speak from my experiences. Actually, I don't think of Lilo and Stitch as a great addition, but I understand how they fit into the theme.

limabeanmom2003
05-07-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure how to phrase this exactly but it seems as though things that are for girls are only for girls. Take for instance pink stollers or the princess breakfast. On the other hand, things that are for boys can usually be for boys or girls. Take for instance navy strollers and Chef Mickeys. It's always been that way.

I bet if you were to go through and name all the boy/everyone things to do at WDW and the girl only things there would be way more boy/everyone.

If Disney did do a boy dining experience I bet there would be lots of girls there too. My DD6 loves Power Rangers.

I'm glad they have some things geared towards girls. We're coming to a point finnaly in society that it's ok to wear pink and enjoy all things that are girl. I have started to notice that now there are car seats and stollers that are pink!! :cheer2: Not one to be found 6 years ago when DD was born.

The girl stuff at WDW is payback for all the years of the girls having to ride around in blue cars seats, navy stollers and for having to wear yellow and green because boys can't wear pink (think baby shower gifts). ;)

this is very true. It is acceptable for a girl to wear any color clothing. But in general, boys usually do not wear "girl colors" such as pink. I do see men wearing pink shirts, but I can't think of a time when I have seen a boy wearing pink.

A so called "boy" themed breakfast would attract both genders.

tnhillbilly
05-07-2006, 11:04 PM

right there you have boys and girls if they did a power ranger one. and had different power rangers. they always have a great turnout when they come out at mgm.

cstraub
05-07-2006, 11:34 PM
this is very true. It is acceptable for a girl to wear any color clothing. But in general, boys usually do not wear "girl colors" such as pink. I do see men wearing pink shirts, but I can't think of a time when I have seen a boy wearing pink.

A so called "boy" themed breakfast would attract both genders.

There are lots of "boy" themed character dining experiences.

Here are some:

LTT- boys (Goofy, Pluto, Chip and Dale) girls (Minnie)
CP- boys (Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger, Piglet) girls (none)
GG- boys (MIckey, Pluto, Chip and Dale) girls (none)
Restrauntosauraus- boys (Donald, Pluto and Goofy) girls (none)
CM- boys (Mickey, Goofy, Donald, Chip and Dale) girl(Minnie)
Ohana- boys (Mickey, Pluto, Chip, Dale Stitch) girls (Lilo)
CMC boys (goofy, Chip and Dale) girls (Minnie)

Here are the "girl" themed character dining experiences:

CRT- boys (none) girls (Cinerella, Snow White, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Fairy Godmother)
Akershus- boys (none) girls (Belle, Jasmine, Snow WHite, Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty)
1900 Park Fare- boys (none) girls (Mary Poppins, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine)

So there are 7 offering's that are mostly made up of male Characters and 3 that are made up of female characters.

Seems pretty fair to me.

disneyfreakjackie
05-07-2006, 11:38 PM
:thumbsup2

why not make the Polynesian breakfast character meal toy story themed. It's never crowded there anyway - I think most people do chef mickey's instead.

We had ADR's at O'hanas for b'fast in February ... it was VERY crowded!!! Not an empty table to be had! Plenty of boys and girls dining that day!!

jjatwdw
05-07-2006, 11:53 PM

Here are some:

CRT- boys (none) girls (Cinerella, Snow White, Belle, Sleeping Beauty, Fairy Godmother)
Akershus- boys (none) girls (Belle, Jasmine, Snow WHite, Mary Poppins, Sleeping Beauty)
1900 Park Fare- boys (none) girls (Mary Poppins, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jasmine)

So there are 7 offering's that are mostly made up of male Characters and 3 that are made up of female characters.

Seems pretty fair to me.

Just because these are male characters it does not mean that they are are boy themed or for boys only. They all seem pretty unisex to me. However, CRT, 1900 Park Fare and the Princess character meal are only for girls. This does not seem fair to me at all!!!

cstraub
05-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Just because these are male characters it does not mean that they are are boy themed or for boys only. They all seem pretty unisex to me. However, CRT, 1900 Park Fare and the Princess character meal are only for girls. This does not seem fair to me at all!!!

How do you figure? I could say the exact same thing. Just because these are female characters it does not mean that they are girl themed or for girls only. How is Mickey Mouse unisex? What Characters are there that are for boys only? What characters would be no unisex? Girls like Toy Story, Power Rangers and Star Wars. It's just the way it is. Girls things are only for girls and boy things are usually for everyone.

jjatwdw
05-08-2006, 12:40 AM
My DS6 would put up quite a fuss if I tried to take him to CRT. And I'm not saying he is a "girls have cooties" kind of kid. He loves Pooh and friends and is not thrilled that we are going to GG instead of the usual CP. I'm just saying that I think that most boys would not care to go to one of the Princess meals unless they were dragged there with sisters. Maybe it's because they are human characters as opposed to animals. I agree with a prior post who suggested Peter Pan, Hook, Hercules, Aladdin, etc. would be good choices for a boys character meal.
I'm not suggesting that you have to have an equal number of boys and girls meals. Nor do I favor one sex over the other. I myself have both sons and daughters. I'm just saying it seems kind of unfair to have three exclusively princess meals and no meals that appeal directly to boys. And there is no way I can buy into an assertion that Winnie-the-Pooh is for boys simply because he is a male character.

cstraub
05-08-2006, 12:51 AM
My DS6 would put up quite a fuss if I tried to take him to CRT. And I'm not saying he is a "girls have cooties" kind of kid. He loves Pooh and friends and is not thrilled that we are going to GG instead of the usual CP. I'm just saying that I think that most boys would not care to go to one of the Princess meals unless they were dragged there with sisters. Maybe it's because they are human characters as opposed to animals. I agree with a prior post who suggested Peter Pan, Hook, Hercules, Aladdin, etc. would be good choices for a boys character meal.
I'm not suggesting that you have to have an equal number of boys and girls meals. Nor do I favor one sex over the other. I myself have both sons and daughters. I'm just saying it seems kind of unfair to have three exclusively princess meals and no meals that appeal directly to boys. And there is no way I can buy into an assertion that Winnie-the-Pooh is for boys simply because he is a male character.

What I'm trying to say is that there are plenty of boy character meals. The ones that have female characters are not only for girls it just turns out that boys don't usually like the female characters. That's not Disney's fault. How is Peter Pan, Hook, Hercules, Aladdin or any other male character more for boys than Mickey, Donald and Pluto? I just don't see it. :confused3

How would having a "boys" character meal be different than what is available now? Even if you did a villian theme girls would enjoy that as much as the boys. I know a lot of girls who love Star Wars, Power Rangers etc.

angelsmom920
05-08-2006, 07:05 AM
We did the princess meal this year - traveling with 5 little girls ages 5 and under and one 8 year old boy. Although he was feeling under the weather, he was a trooper. He didn't mind all the princesses coming over and calling him Prince Charming ;) . But we also did the 'Ohana breakfast and he loved it! It was very gender neutral - Stitch, Lilo, Mickey and Pluto. We all had a blast there.

Also, my dd5 would totally go for a hero breakfast! Especially if it included Robin Hood - he is her favorite! I have to jump on the band wagon that it is more acceptable for girls to do ''boy'' stuff that boys to do ''girl'' stuff.

limabeanmom2003
05-08-2006, 08:18 AM

Here are some:

Seems pretty fair to me.

I don't think of your first list as boy themed. Those character meals appeal to everyone. Just because there is a male character there doesn' mean it is boy themed. However, the princess character meals are clearly targeted for girls. Not that boys don't attend and have a blast - but you will see mostly girls at princess meals.

I would just like to see a character meal that has disney characters (other than mickey and friends) that appeal to boys.

jjatwdw
05-08-2006, 08:29 AM
It's not the gender of the character itself that matters. It's whether it's a boy themed meal or a girl themed meal. And I agree that boys can do princess meals and that girls can do a boy themed meal. However, like others have noted it's more common for girls to want to do boy themed things than the reverse.

I believe we are talking about three separate groups - gender neural, girl themed, and boy themed. The majority of the character meals are indeed gender neutral. However there are three girl themed meals and not a single boy themed meal. I'm just saying that it might be nice to have a meal that is directed mainly to boys.

limabeanmom2003
05-08-2006, 10:00 AM
It's not the gender of the character itself that matters. It's whether it's a boy themed meal or a girl themed meal. And I agree that boys can do princess meals and that girls can do a boy themed meal. However, like others have noted it's more common for girls to want to do boy themed things than the reverse.

I believe we are talking about three separate groups - gender neural, girl themed, and boy themed. The majority of the character meals are indeed gender neutral. However there are three girl themed meals and not a single boy themed meal. I'm just saying that it might be nice to have a meal that is directed mainly to boys.

:thumbsup2

lnh'smom
05-08-2006, 10:25 AM
jjatwdw I completely agree with you. Yes, my son likes Cinderella and would do the princess dining whatever, but I also think it would be nice to do something more themed to the boys. And by the way, I clicked on the link about the pirate fun boy thing, but I couldn't find it. Once I got to the website I didn't know where to go from here. Hopefully taking 4 boys next year, dads could do that with the boys while moms and girls do the girl thing.

Kitka
05-08-2006, 10:36 AM

Uh, yeah. My son disagrees that 1900 Park Fare is ONLY for girls. So would half the room while we were there, who were boys. DS met prince charming, and then told Cinderella he was in love with her. He was quite smitten and enjoyed the experience very much! And yes, he is a typical, shoot 'em up, rough little boy. But he enjoys a bit of everything.

I don't understand why people want to be exclusionary here. You can't make things "boy only". Our society has stressed that boys can't wear pink, can't like princesses, etc. but it is more socially acceptable that girls like Power Rangers and heros/villians. So it is impossible to have a boy meal that is socialy exclusionary like a princess meal is apparently to most boys.

Again, yes, let's diversify the meals, come up with a hero, villian, etc. meal so there is another one that boys will feel more comfortable at. But geez, let's drop the campaign to make it a boy only thing!

traviesojmt
05-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Uh, yeah. My son disagrees that 1900 Park Fare is ONLY for girls. So would half the room while we were there, who were boys. DS met prince charming, and then told Cinderella he was in love with her. He was quite smitten and enjoyed the experience very much! And yes, he is a typical, shoot 'em up, rough little boy. But he enjoys a bit of everything.

I don't understand why people want to be exclusionary here. You can't make things "boy only". Our society has stressed that boys can't wear pink, can't like princesses, etc. but it is more socially acceptable that girls like Power Rangers and heros/villians. So it is impossible to have a boy meal that is socialy exclusionary like a princess meal is apparently to most boys.

Again, yes, let's diversify the meals, come up with a hero, villian, etc. meal so there is another one that boys will feel more comfortable at. But geez, let's drop the campaign to make it a boy only thing!

It's great that your son enjoys the princess character meals. No one is saying that he can't enjoy them. What we are saying is that OUR sons don't enjoy it. My son HATES the idea of having to eat with the princesses. He is at the age where he doesn't like that kind of attention from girls. You are looking at this from your family's perspective only. In our family, my son would like a meal that is directly more towards boys. Does that mean that girls won't like it? No, many girls would have just as much fun. We aren't looking for exclusionary, many of us would just like more options for our sons. If that isn't something that your son is interested in that is perfectly fine. I really fail to understand why it seems to upset you so that many of us have sons who would enjoy something else. Disney does, however, have no problem making things for girls only. They just opened the Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique which caters to only girls. Then they also have the My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party which is for girls only. If they have no problem with those girls only activies, what is wrong with something just for boys?

shellybaxter
05-08-2006, 11:40 AM
Disney does, however, have no problem making things for girls only. They just opened the Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique which caters to only girls. Then they also have the My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party which is for girls only. If they have no problem with those girls only activies, what is wrong with something just for boys?

They also just opened the pirate adventure room at the World of Disney store and have the pirate and albotros cruises (both "boy" themed). Its not like Disney has nothing the boys enjoy. The princesses have become a marketing explosion. Its not like Disney set out to make "something" for girls. They started with one character breakfast in the Castle and some merchandise. It grew so big so fast that they kept adding to meet the demand.

I don't see anything "boy" related that has taken off that same way. I think they attemped to have the Stitch character take off like that but it didn't really work.

I'm sure Disney is aware that their are families who would like a Pixar breakfast. Since the Pixar movies are the highest grossing lately at Disney I'm sure that the Pixar characters would have the best chance at "making a big splash". However, due to reasons we may never know Disney hasn't been able to make the Pixar meal happen. Whatever the reason I'm sure it isn't because they don't want to or because they want to slight the boys. Disney would be crazy not to want to make a meal it appears would be very popular with all families.

I'm not sure that some of the other suggestions I've seen would go as big as the Pixar characters. The Villians meal was already tried and didn't go well enough for Disney to continue it. Star Wars or Power Rangers are really "fringe" Disney characters and I'm not sure Disney would want to put them so "front and center". Heros might work, but I'd venture to say it wouldn't be an overly popular meal. Just my opinion.

jjatwdw
05-08-2006, 11:44 AM
Well put traviesojmt! We're not trying to ruin the princess meals. And if you have sons that enjoy the princess meals, great. We just think some boys might enjoy something geared more toward boys. And we are not saying girls can't attend or enjoy it too. Like I said before, I have both DDs and DSs so I'm not favoring one over the other. These are simply opinions.

noseybuddy
05-08-2006, 11:49 AM

Two of my favorites!!

cstraub
05-08-2006, 12:00 PM
It's great that your son enjoys the princess character meals. No one is saying that he can't enjoy them. What we are saying is that OUR sons don't enjoy it. My son HATES the idea of having to eat with the princesses. He is at the age where he doesn't like that kind of attention from girls. You are looking at this from your family's perspective only. In our family, my son would like a meal that is directly more towards boys. Does that mean that girls won't like it? No, many girls would have just as much fun. We aren't looking for exclusionary, many of us would just like more options for our sons. If that isn't something that your son is interested in that is perfectly fine. I really fail to understand why it seems to upset you so that many of us have sons who would enjoy something else. Disney does, however, have no problem making things for girls only. They just opened the Bibbiddi Bobbiddi Boutique which caters to only girls. Then they also have the My Disney Girl's Perfectly Princess Tea Party which is for girls only. If they have no problem with those girls only activies, what is wrong with something just for boys?

I believe BBB is for boys too. They can get dressed up like a pirate I think. The GF offers the Disney Princess Tea Party but they also offer the Pirate Cruise (can't get anymore boy themed than that).

disgirl
05-08-2006, 12:38 PM
Hi! I think I understand what most of you are saying here. My son is 13.5 now so I can not get him to go to any character meals with me anymore, of course. However, when he was 1-3 years, he loved CRT and 1900 Park Fare and all the attention the princesses gave him. However, when he was 6, we took him back to CRT (with Grandma and Aunt who had never been) and it was just ok for him. He did enjoy seeing Peter Pan there, though. However, when we returned to Disney when he was 10, he was not interested in any of the character meals. :sad2:

cstraub: I feel Mickey, Pluto, and Donald are fine for girls and boys that are young (generally speaking around 6 and under) but I believe characters like Hook, Peter Pan, Aladdin, and Hercules, Woody, and Buzz might be more appealing to boys because of the adventures and stories that they are associated with. I think Mickey, Pluto, and Donald are cute for smaller children, as long as they are not afraid of a huge mouse, dog, or duck. LOL! Personally, as an adult, I would not mind having breakfast with Mickey, Pluto, etc., but like someone mentioned here before, I was always the kind of kid that preferred soft stuffed animals over dolls. However, like I said before my ds at 13.5 will not let us book any character meals.

I do feel badly for those of you with boys who are still interested in character meals, but just do not get excited over seeing all the pretty princesses and even handsome princes. I do not think there is enough of a choice for boys. I think Mickey, Chip, Dale, Pluto, Goofy, etc. are great, but understand many boys want to see other more adventurous characters,like many mentioned here. Good Luck.

Hope73
05-08-2006, 12:47 PM
I am not being Exclusive but do you really think 2 Main Disney Princess places are really for boys. I took my son to the castle last trip and he was fine with it but I would say it is more for girls.

I woud love a villan, pirate or Pixar restaurant.

MGM has the stars and motor cars parade and I would love to see the Pixar people in their own character meal.

Kitka
05-08-2006, 12:49 PM

Again, fine to say let's come up with MORE things that more boys enjoy, but how in the world can we come up with something JUST For boys in our culture? You can't! There is the pirate cruise, the adventurer's room at WOD, and again, if we get some hero/villian, or Toy Story meals, that will be more boys like.

But there is plenty of gender neutral fun to be had, which is why I can't understand why people are lamenting "there's nothing for BOYS". Yes there is! There are many meals with characters boys can enjoy.

I am not looking at it from my family perspective only - I know other boys would not enjoy a princess meal. But to say a princess meal is for 'girls only' is condescending and sexist. That's what I take issue with the most.

And with that, I'm done with this debate. I just can't understand the need to compartmentalize our kids so much.

And we are not saying girls can't attend or enjoy it too.

Yes, some people are. That's what I keep jumping in to point out. Many people have stated, 'we want something that is for boys only like the princess meals are for girls only'.

If people have changed their tune and understand that (for the millionth time) this is about increasing variety to have more meals that appeal to boys INCLUSIVELY and not coming up with a 'boys only' meal, then I have nothing more to add. Thanks.

limabeanmom2003
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
I believe BBB is for boys too. They can get dressed up like a pirate I think. The GF offers the Disney Princess Tea Party but they also offer the Pirate Cruise (can't get anymore boy themed than that).
That would be so cool! I will have to look into that.

traviesojmt
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Is the pirate new at BBB? The Disney website says that it is for girls 3 and up. It doesn't mention anything regarding boys.

cstraub
05-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Is the pirate new at BBB? The Disney website says that it is for girls 3 and up. It doesn't mention anything regarding boys.

I'm pretty sure. I thought I read it somewhere. Also when I was there with DD I overheard a mom tell her son he was getting dressed up too along with his sister.

ETA: I have seen that there is a cool dude version for $10 bt I'm not sure if that is true. Here are some pics of the new pirate area:

http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1846/3/55/17/88/96/2/296881755303_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1907/3/65/90/88/59/7/759889065303_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1907/3/65/90/88/69/2/269889065303_0_ALB.jpg
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos1907/3/65/90/89/68/8/868899065303_0_ALB.jpg

majortom
05-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Disney just bought Pixar. I think you'll see a Toy Story meal soon. :earsboy:

Disney has always owned all Toy Story characters. That film was produced under Pixar's first deal that gave Disney ownership of its characters.

/carmi

Crazy4mandms
05-08-2006, 02:49 PM
If we are talking about 'gender-neutral' why not make those princess meals a little more 'neutral' to not be so exclusively appealing to girls. Make it a princess/heroes meal where you could not only see the princesses, but also Peter Pan, Woody, Power Rangers, etc? What would be wrong with that? As many stated here, girls like the heroes just as much as boys. I'm sure they wouldn't mind! That way there is NOTHING that could be considered gender-exclusive. Some people here are asking us mom's of boys to not want something so-called 'boy-themed', but yet...mmmm....if we messed around with those 'girl-themed' things....I guess I need to buy a flame-retardant suit...but I'm sure many of you can see the truth in what I am saying. Those who have children who love the princess meals (pretty much gender exclusive) are asking us mom's of boys (and tom-boys and girls!) to not ask for something boy-driven. I think it is wonderful to take a little girl (or boy!) to see the princesses if that is what they are into, that's not my point....but if your child enjoys them then think about how much others would love something equally geared the other way. Sorry for :stir: , flame away!

Ava
05-08-2006, 03:13 PM
I think cstraub & Kitka hit the nail on the head. The problem with this whole debate over a character meal "for boys" is that it is now common for girls to like things that were traditionally "boy things" but it is not as common for boys to like "girl things." I'm sure there are boys who love the Princess meals, and girls who would want nothing to do with a Pirate Cruise, but in general it's the opposite. Most boys, especially older boys, would not care to eat with Princesses. Most girls, on the other hand, would probably enjoy a Pirate Cruise just as much as her brother. That's just the way it is and Disney cannot really be faulted for that. I'd be all for a new meal to bring in some diversity, but asking for a meal "just for boys" is unrealistic because (most) girls will like it as well.

Also, the whole "Disney Princesses" line has been a money-making machine for Disney in recent years. Of course they are going to run with it and create as many things as they can think of to tie in with that theme until it's popularity runs it's course. I'm sure if anything "boy themed" ever reaches the level of popularity of the Disney Princesses line, Disney will run with that as well. They have started up a few new Pirate themed things lately, maybe hoping to bank on the release/popularity of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie(s). Disney is a corporation, and money talks, so they're going to invest in whatever it is that brings in the profits. Right now, that thing is Princesses.

limabeanmom2003
05-08-2006, 04:05 PM
. I'd be all for a new meal to bring in some diversity, but asking for a meal "just for boys" is unrealistic because (most) girls will like it as well.

I just want to be clear that I am not asking for a "just for boys" meal. I know that many girls are interested in toy story and other pixar movies. I just know that the merchandise that disney has for boys is often pixar movie related (buzz and woody pj's, incredibles shirts). So, when I think of a type of character meal that would appeal to boys in particular, that is what I think of. Sure, it would also draw girls, but I am thinking of boys - since I have two.

I think most of us would agree that it would be nice to have more character meals available with other disney characters that do not currently appear at any character meals (that's a mouthful, but I think you get what I am saying!)

jjatwdw
05-08-2006, 06:38 PM
I have yet to see anyone suggesting a "boy only" meal. To listen to some of you one would think that we were suggesting testosterone checks at the door. I just think it would be nice to have one character experience, out of many, that would appeal mainly to boys.

STEAMBOAT209
05-08-2006, 07:17 PM
I guess its back to the Poly with my 3 grandsons, they do love it, but I wanted to take them somewhere different this time. Maybe next year Disney will see we need a character breakfast for the boys. It would be nice if Disney could put something together for Fathers Day and the boys could all go out for a character breakfast, leaving the Moms to have some free time.

ColleenS
05-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I just think it would be nice to have one character experience, out of many, that would appeal mainly to boys.

What exactly would this be?

In todays society there is no longer such a thing as 'boys only' at least in regards to Disney.

Disney has many gender neutral meals. What are you (collective you) looking for in a boys only meal? What would make any meal appeal to a large majority of boys, not girls.

I think Disney has avoided a boys meal because there are no characters that appeal only to boys, so if Disney markets a meal to boys, you're going to get unhappy parents of girls complaining that the meal is aimed at boys, but that their girl likes that character selection.

So is it not so much that you are looking for a boys meal, but a meal that will appeal to kids over seven? Kids who like the Incredibles and Power Rangers, but no longer enjoy PlayHouse Disney?

Mommieof2princesses
05-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Out of all the meals there at Disney only 2 are themed "PRINCESS"......All the others have male charaters. But I do have to agree, a Pixar or Pirate theme would be COOL!! :cool1:

jjatwdw
05-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I think that a Star Wars meal would be great. My DS6 would love it. In fact, my DD15 and DS19 would love it too. Someone posted that Star Wars is not directly Disney, but it would fit perfectly with the heavy Star Wars influence at MGM. It would really appeal to school aged kids.