PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle laundry on 7day cruise?

jaletu2000
05-05-2006, 12:41 PM
I know there is a laundry service and machines available. But what do you commonly do with your laundry on a 7day? Do you bite the bullet and just wash clothes midway - or do you wear stuff over and over (unless soiled of course :goodvibes ) and do laundry when you get back?

We went on a 3 day and this wasn't a problem. I did the wash when we got to the resort after the cruise. I washed out our swim suits daily and hung them up - very messy task. I just don't want to take time from pleasure to do such a mundane chore, BUT --- When I think of having to lug all that unwashed laundry, it gives me the hibbie-jibbies! :rotfl: We have two teen sons who manufacture laundry for me. One of them changes twice a day!

Any tips? NO, really, I have to take the teens along.... :rolleyes:

ivanova
05-05-2006, 01:00 PM
for a 7 night we pack enough to avoid laundry .. on the 14 night we packed enough to cover 8-10 days and actually did laundry about 4 days into the cruise before the laundry rooms were overrun by everyone wanting to do laundry.

Buddy Bear
05-05-2006, 01:03 PM
It is your choice; we usually do single loads during the cruise to keep up. We like the staterooms that are near the laundry facilities for that reason.

Usually the best time to do laundry is on port days. We usually go on an early excursion so the ship is not to capacity when we get back in the early afternoon.

The worst time is prior to formal and semi-formal night. Everybody is running around trying to find an iron so it gets very busy while people stand in line outside the laundry. :p

lbgraves
05-05-2006, 01:03 PM
On our first cruise we were in the middle of an almost 3 week trip. We stayed with family before & after and went to WDW for a couple days before the cruise. Since I didn't want the dirty clothes to sit for that long I did a couple loads of laundry on Wednesday morning when most people were off the ship. On the past 2 7 day cruises I have just loaded up the luggage on Tuesday & Thursday night with the dirty clothes from the hamper. It made packing to leave very easy. :)

DVC Jen
05-05-2006, 01:29 PM
We have two teen sons who manufacture laundry for me. One of them changes twice a day!

Any tips? NO, really, I have to take the teens along.... :rolleyes:

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl:

I have two teen DDs I can feel your pain. Boy can I. :rolleyes2

TheWog
05-05-2006, 01:34 PM
We brought enough so as not to worry. Did it all when we got home.

Flagger
05-05-2006, 01:37 PM
I wear my socks inside out which is good for two days. Same thing with underwear and undershirts.

Nah, I just throw clothes as I wear them. Leaves soooooooooo much more room for souveniers.

poconoboatniks
05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I do a couple of small loads early in the morning, midway through the week. I try to stay out of the laundry the last two days of the cruise.

Poconoboatniks

justmestace
05-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Throw it overboard! :teeth:

Sorry, couldn't resist! :guilty:

mattmommy
05-05-2006, 02:17 PM
We pretty much live in our bathing suits the whole day. Dress for dinner and maybe the show (depending on how much fun we're having). Then run and change into casual for the clubs. Bring two bathing suits and do the sink-clean method. Bring some febreze to get more use out of things worn for only an hour.

Momeska
05-05-2006, 02:19 PM
We did the 7-day a year ago with two teenage boys and I didn't do any laundry. Of course, I probably overpacked...no, I know I overpacked! I brought half of the clothes home unworn. The boys lived in their swimtrunks and t-shirts or tanks and sandals. I washed out swimsuits by hand and hung them in the shower at night. We all showered before dinner so the boys only wore their dinner clothes for a few hours and then I (yes, I) hung them up and they wore them at least another evening. I just find it easier and more relaxing to just throw the dirties in a laundry bag, put it in a separate suitcase and do them when we get home. Enjoy the cruise and unless you really like doing laundry, don't!
:wave2: Linda

TheWog
05-05-2006, 02:39 PM

Now, that's what I'm talkin' bout!

KSDTink
05-05-2006, 02:40 PM
I didn't want to bring 7 days worth of clothes even for only 3 of us! I did laundry about half way through the week. Definitely on port days is better. DD did spend a lot of time in her bathing suit and dressy clothes were not worn long enough to be dirty with one wearing so we too wore them twice, thus reducing the number to pack.

Buddy Bear
05-05-2006, 02:57 PM
We brought enough so as not to worry. Did it all when we got home.

We don't like to check luggage at the airport so we pack light enough that we only bring carry ons. The small downside is that we must do laundry which I don't mind at all. Of course the plus side is we don't a mound of laundry to do when we get home.

KimberlyC
05-05-2006, 03:03 PM

DCL prohibits this! DCL could be fined. You could be fined. :eek: And what if your unmentionables ended up on someone else's balcony below and were found by a jealous spouse residing in that stateroom. :rotfl: You could be responsible for destroying a perfectly unstable marriage! :lmao:

I plan to smuggle my dirties off the ship with my forbidden fruit and attempt to trade them for knock off purses. :rotfl2: Why? Because I will NOT do laundry on vacation! I will NOT do laundry on vacation!!!! Ok, I'll probably end up doing laundry on vacation no matter how much I overpack because I don't like wet/damp stuff hanging about the stateroom or stinking up the hamper. :sad2:

justmestace
05-05-2006, 03:15 PM
DCL prohibits this! DCL could be fined. You could be fined. :eek: And what if your unmentionables ended up on someone else's balcony below and were found by a jealous spouse residing in that stateroom. :rotfl: You could be responsible for destroying a perfectly unstable marriage! :lmao:

I plan to smuggle my dirties off the ship with my forbidden fruit and attempt to trade them for knock off purses. :rotfl2: Why? Because I will NOT do laundry on vacation! I will NOT do laundry on vacation!!!! Ok, I'll probably end up doing laundry on vacation no matter how much I overpack because I don't like wet/damp stuff hanging about the stateroom or stinking up the hamper. :sad2:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm glad someone enjoys my weird sense of humor......

and TheWog, too.......

rigs32
05-05-2006, 03:25 PM
We change a couple time a day, too. But if the clothes aren't dirty or stinky, why can't I wear them again?

DH has 2-3 pairs of pants and a couple dress shirts that are mixed and matched for dinner. I have sundresses that are compact once folded.

I bring one pair of sandals and one pair of dressy shoes in black or brown. That means all the clothes have to match the show color chosen, but it's easier than lugging around shoes.

Shorts and a T can be reworn, as can PJs.

TheWog
05-05-2006, 03:35 PM
You could be responsible for destroying a perfectly unstable marriage! :lmao:

Tag Fairy!!!!! Are you listening?

Mom24Princesses
05-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Having a family of 6 everyday is a ton of laundry and teenaged girls are at least as bad as teenaged boys.

I hated the time wasted on laundry on our trip. NEXT TIME I'll tell the girls if they want it washed they do it!!!

I'll do 2 loads a few days apart of whites. BUT 2 loads will be my limit. MY DH does not sleep in. I will assign him this duty at @5:00AM next time too!!!

WMILLER86
05-05-2006, 03:59 PM
We don't like to check luggage at the airport so we pack light enough that we only bring carry ons. The small downside is that we must do laundry which I don't mind at all. Of course the plus side is we don't a mound of laundry to do when we get home.

C'mon Jeff, that shirt you wore to dinner 6 nites in a row got kinda gamey! Are you SURE you washed it?

Just kidding!

If you hang around with the crowd that drinks alot, they don't notice that you wear the same clothes to dinner!

:rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2:
Willie

videogal1
05-05-2006, 04:10 PM

Stacey...That you up there on the secret deck 7 above my balcony tearing off your clothes and tossin' them over the side?

and I thought it was the underwear fairy off course......

justmestace
05-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Stacey...That you up there on the secret deck 7 above my balcony tearing off your clothes and tossin' them over the side?

and I thought it was the underwear fairy of course......

Busted!!!! :guilty: :guilty: :lmao:

dreamcometrue
05-05-2006, 04:48 PM

omg, you must be kidding right? You seriously only bring carry ons for your family of 4, including a small child?? I guess it's impossible to imagine for someone like me...who totally takes advantage of the 2 pieces of luggage a person rule that they have at the airports! :rotfl2:

lbgraves
05-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Of course, you could always do what some have posted about. Take the clothes in the worst condition & just throw them in the trash when you are finished wearing them on the cruise. :)

SeaSpray
05-05-2006, 05:25 PM
We send our clothes out to be washed when we're on vacation. For our 10-night cruise in 2004, it was around $230 for 4 people. Not bad, in my opinion, and in the grand scheme of the price of a Disney cruise, we barely noticed it on the bill at the end. ;)

jaletu2000
05-05-2006, 05:30 PM
:rotfl2: You guys are too much! I can totally see my "hobo" dressed family merrily tossing clothes overboard and in the garbage....Wheee! Who are THOSE people?!

As for wearing more than once - ABSOLUTELY! If it isn't dirty and doesn't stink why throw it on the pile? I draw the line at unmentionables, though :blush: . Even with that, my family keep me buried in laundry. Looks like I'll have to budget a little laundry money for onboard. I'll shoot for an excursion day. Thanks for the tips :thumbsup2

DVC Jen
05-05-2006, 06:29 PM
If you hang around with the crowd that drinks alot, they don't notice that you wear the same clothes to dinner!

Willie

Can anyone point me in the direction of this crowd for the June 3rd Western??

Please. :thumbsup2

Castillo Mom
05-05-2006, 06:48 PM
I took a ton of clothes last trip which was almost 3 weeks. Next trip will be similar but this time I'll need to take formal wear, dress shoes, etc. plus factor in leaving enough space in our luggage for souvenirs.

If anything needs to get laundered, Disney will do it for me. I work too hard all year to do chores on vacation. ;)

996turbos
05-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Laundry? It's like Disney Magic! I give it to my wife. I assume she sprinkles some Pixie Dust on them and they just show up back in the cabin in my drawers. :confused3 . Accually she did a few loads on Thursday to avoid having a pile when she got home. And please note that I have offered to do laundy for her on numerous occasions. She just doesn't get my whole jeans with towels system. She muttered something about colors, whites, and semi loads. We packed a good bit early on the cruise and it made unpacking a little less of a burden when we arrived home. :sunny:

cruzings
05-05-2006, 07:09 PM
We just always brought enough clothes so I didn't have to do any laundry. I hate the thought of doing a chore while on my vacation. Always bring two sets of swimsuits for each person in your family so you can alternate them. While one is thoroughly drying, the other one can be worn. For dinner, DH just had two pairs of slacks (one black and one khaki) to mix and match with different shirts. For me, it was two skirts to mix and match with different blouses. You can go on and on about this but all it really takes is a lot of planning, so you do not overpack. I have found that when I pack hurriedly, I tend to bring things I do not need (and eventually do not use).

captchris
05-05-2006, 07:51 PM
You could always go to Walmart and buy an extra package of socks and undies! :rotfl2:

On our first cruise, RCI didn't have laundry rooms. We had to pay for laundry service. We just had some underwear and socks washed and we were all set. I think it was $7.00.

My DW is an obsessive over packer so we are usually okay. She packed several outfits that I never wore. Luckily this time we are not flying so we don't have to worry about our luggage being over 50 lbs.!

Buddy Bear
05-05-2006, 07:53 PM
C'mon Jeff, that shirt you wore to dinner 6 nites in a row got kinda gamey! Are you SURE you washed it?

Just kidding!

You got me Wille; I just hung it off the verandah :lmao:

Willie

Lots of drinking = no clothes which is why your group didn't have to pack much. I saw the photos ;)

justmestace
05-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Of course, you could always do what some have posted about. Take the clothes in the worst condition & just throw them in the trash when you are finished wearing them on the cruise. :)

We actually do that with old t-shirts and shorts. We use really old t-shirts when we snorkel, and then throw them away.

tvguy
05-05-2006, 08:10 PM
omg, you must be kidding right? You seriously only bring carry ons for your family of 4, including a small child?? I guess it's impossible to imagine for someone like me...who totally takes advantage of the 2 pieces of luggage a person rule that they have at the airports! :rotfl2:

My mother took a 21 day cruise with just a carryon. Brought some laundry soap and washed what she wore that day in the bath tub each night, let it line dry in the tub, and used the iron in the laundry room to touch stuff up.

WOW, 2 PIECES OF LUGGAGE PER PERSON!!!! Wow, we took 2 pieces for the 4 of us (2 adult sized kids) for a 7 day, and we WAY WAY WAY overpacked. We did laundry on Tuesday and Thursday on the ship.

Now at home, until DS went away to college, a typical laundry week in our household was 30 loads. He played baseball, so wore school cloths, baseball cloths, and something casual each day, as did DD who played soccer.

BethA
05-05-2006, 08:12 PM
I usually get the nicer things done by the laundry service and do 2 loads towards the end of the trip. With a teen I also have laundry i swear he brings in from others.

Last year on RCL they had no laundry and I hated coming home and going back to work the next day and having to squeeze in all the laundry too.

abitjaded
05-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Laundry? It's like Disney Magic! I give it to my wife. I assume she sprinkles some Pixie Dust on them and they just show up back in the cabin in my drawers.

Are you related to my husband? I always tell him and my kids that it must have been the laundry fairy who did the wash, cause heaven knows, HE certainly did not do it. And just which drawers are you referring to, anyway?

But seriously, the teenaged boys could do the laundry late at night if they are in need. (Oh, yeah, right, sure, in your dreams.) I do try to make sure there is dark underwear so you can do just one load mid-week. That way the undies don't turn out grey from the dark pants.

You could also do the Febrez trick of spraying the dirty stuff and hanging it off the balcony in a stiff breeze. Doesn't do much for the underwear skid marks, though.

Carla

Cindi0511
05-05-2006, 10:18 PM
Tag Fairy!!!!! Are you listening?

:rotfl2: :lmao: That's exactly what I was thinking! Hahahahaha :rotfl2:

KimberlyC
05-05-2006, 10:26 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm glad someone enjoys my weird sense of humor......

and TheWog, too.......

I do! :cool1:

And if ever the men in white coats come to carry me off, I can use you as a character reference, right? :thumbsup2 There has to be some loophole, like...if in the opinion of 2 Disers I'm not nuts, then it must be true! :rotfl2:

Buddy Bear
05-05-2006, 11:49 PM
:rotfl2: :lmao: That's exactly what I was thinking! Hahahahaha :rotfl2:

Got me! :goodvibes

dreamcometrue
05-06-2006, 12:35 AM
My mother took a 21 day cruise with just a carryon. Brought some laundry soap and washed what she wore that day in the bath tub each night, let it line dry in the tub, and used the iron in the laundry room to touch stuff up.

WOW, 2 PIECES OF LUGGAGE PER PERSON!!!! Wow, we took 2 pieces for the 4 of us (2 adult sized kids) for a 7 day, and we WAY WAY WAY overpacked. We did laundry on Tuesday and Thursday on the ship.

Now at home, until DS went away to college, a typical laundry week in our household was 30 loads. He played baseball, so wore school cloths, baseball cloths, and something casual each day, as did DD who played soccer.

well, to be fair, I usually only fill our suitcases 3/4 of the way. That way, I don't have to worry about how to lug all the stuff we buy on vacation back home!

justmestace
05-06-2006, 02:12 AM
I do! :cool1:

And if ever the men in white coats come to carry me off, I can use you as a character reference, right? :thumbsup2 There has to be some loophole, like...if in the opinion of 2 Disers I'm not nuts, then it must be true! :rotfl2:

Works for me, if it works for you!! :crazy: :rolleyes1

Rogillio
05-06-2006, 06:52 AM
On our 7-day cruise my wife did laundry 1/2 way through the trip. She spent what seemed like hours in the laundry room waiting for a washer and then waitng for a dryer and then waiting for jeans to dry etc.

I did not know DCL had a laundry service at the time. We (and I use this term loosely) will NEVER DO LAUNDRY ON VACATION AGAIN! Doing laundry on vacation is akin to having to cook dinner and wash the dishes or make the beds and vaccum the room and clean up the bathroom. What kind of vacation is that?!

Like someone pointed out, in the grand scheme of things, the cost to have your laundry done is not that significant copared to what you are paying for the cruise.

~Mike

At least once a year, swing for the fence!

aprilgail2
05-06-2006, 07:34 AM
I hate overpacking so we pack the bare minimum and I do laundry during down times like when my daughter just wants to sit and watch tv for a little while, or when she is in bed and I am not tired yet. I never put dirty clothes in my suitcase, that grosses me out to bring dirty clothes home in my suitcase so I do laundry the last night...it makes coming home less stressful for me to since I don't come home with a ton of laundry that needs to be done.

996turbos
05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Thanks Tag Fairy! I will never doubt your existence again! :banana:

woody73
05-06-2006, 08:15 PM
We don't like to check luggage at the airport so we pack light enough that we only bring carry ons.

We do the same thing, whether it be on a cruise or vacationing in Europe.

Sue (mom of 3 boys!)
05-07-2006, 08:07 AM
There are five of us. We each bring a suitcase for the trip. We unpack everything as soon as we get into our stateroom. Then I take industrial sized garbage bags and line the inside of the suitcases and stack them in the closet. Each suitcase has a designated wash load. White, light colors, etc. Every other day or so we empty the hamper into the appropriate suitcase. Any family member found putting wet clothes in the hamper or in the suitcase must walk the plank! Any clean clothes/shoes (in small bags) go into suitcase #5 (or 4 + 5 if we have a lot of clean clothes left). When we get home, the laundry is sorted. If I don't have to sort the laundry, it's not as big a chore. I just dump one suitcase load in the machine when we get home.
We do wear clothes twice-especially dress clothes that we only have on for 2 hours or so. I rinse our swimsuits at night and always bring two. Febreeze is a wonderful thing with 3 boys. I use it to freshen clean clothes, and spray the laundry in the suitcases.

bevtoy
05-07-2006, 11:17 AM
I wear my socks inside out which is good for two days. Same thing with underwear and undershirts.

Nah, I just throw clothes as I wear them. Leaves soooooooooo much more room for souveniers.

:rotfl2::rotfl: