PDA

View Full Version : Wine List/Corking Fee

StacyPop
05-05-2006, 10:39 AM
I read there was a $15 corking fee if you bring your own wine on the cruise. Is there somewhere on this board where I can see the wine list-I would like to compare the prices to see if it is worth it to bring my own, or just order off the wine list.
Thanks!

mommasita
05-05-2006, 10:54 AM
Try this link: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=921093&highlight=wine+list

as a P.S.. We ordered the package, and also had a couple bottles in our room for a nice relaxing drink here and there.... :goodvibes

geffric
05-05-2006, 10:57 AM
Stacy.. the $15 corking fee applies to wine bottles brought into the dining room for use with dinner. If you bring wine and drink it in your room or around the ship, you don't pay the corkage fee.

Horace Horsecollar
05-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I read there was a $15 corking fee if you bring your own wine on the cruise. Is there somewhere on this board where I can see the wine list-I would like to compare the prices to see if it is worth it to bring my own, or just order off the wine list.

Yes, if you bring a bottle of wine into a dining room, there is a corkage fee ($15 + 15% automatic gratuity). That's not a fee for pulling the cork. It's a fee for bringing your own wine to a dining room instead of purchasing wine from DCL. (Some folks on this board have thought they could avoid the corkage fee by bringing a screw-top bottle or bringing their own corkscrew, but that's not the case.) You can avoid the corkage fee by drinking the wine in your own stateroom.

If you want to enjoy some wine in your stateroom, it makes sense to bring something that you like and that you bought at a wine store price, not a restaurant price. The cooler in the stateroom is not ice cold, but that's actually a good thing for wine. The cooler chilled our white wines perfectly.

In the dining rooms, by the time you pay the $15 corkage fee, you're unlikely so save much, if anything, on mid-priced wines. In other words, a wine that's $15 at your grocery store or wine shop is likely to be around $30 on the wine list. You might be able to save some money if you're comparing apples to oranges (such as if you bring really cheap wine such "Two Buck Chuck" that isn't abvailable on the wine list) or if you bring really expensive wine (where difference between the Costco price and the DCL price could be more quite a bit more than $15). Since we don't know ahead of time what we'll be eating, I'd rather select wines from the wine list that pair well with our meals.

Skallywag
05-05-2006, 11:07 AM
We ordered both of the wine packages for our party and as I like the sparkling ones took the rest back to our stateroom for later on.

Great for sitting on the balcony watching the world sail by.

DfromCA
05-05-2006, 11:44 AM
For about $20 dollars a bottle (which is about 2x retail) they have good value Australian wines on board. (get a bottle for your room and keep the disney cork screw!)
$15 corkage fee is about the profit they would make on $20 bottle.
The various wine packages on board are good values.

DfromCA
05-05-2006, 11:50 AM
A list of some of the wine prices is available at the Disney cruise web site. http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/dcl/en_US/myCruise/giftsListing?name=WinesListingPage