PDA

View Full Version : Western Union Schooner in Key West

vpalmer
05-05-2006, 11:15 AM
Has anyone been?
What can you tell me about it?
Is it appropriate for a three year old?
Is the sunset cruise that much better than the day cruise?

I tried doing a search but most of the threads on this topic were at least a year old.

vpalmer
05-12-2006, 02:00 PM
Bump! :Pinkbounc

kennygee
05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
Has anyone been?
What can you tell me about it?
Is it appropriate for a three year old?
Is the sunset cruise that much better than the day cruise?

I tried doing a search but most of the threads on this topic were at least a year old.

Hey Veronica,

We did the Western Schooner last December in Key West. It's a very nice relaxing trip. Something you can do with the kids. The captain lets them steer the ship, they have drinks for both adults and kids (wine, beer and juice, I think - don't worry, it's not a drink fest). You even get to help raise the sails. They also stage a little "battle" with a land show that is going on at the same time.

We are going in July and we plan to do the excursion again.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more.

Ken

OurDogCisco
05-12-2006, 04:03 PM
We did the exact same excursion with our 3 year old. We did the sunset cruise and it was amazing. Even made it back on time for late seating dining. This was back in May. Anyways, I loved it but I love being out on the ocean and sail. They even served homemade soup to us. It was a little chillier than I expected and we forgot our jackets. The sunset was amazing....

vpalmer
05-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Hey Veronica,

We did the Western Schooner last December in Key West. It's a very nice relaxing trip. Something you can do with the kids. The captain lets them steer the ship, they have drinks for both adults and kids (wine, beer and juice, I think - don't worry, it's not a drink fest). You even get to help raise the sails. They also stage a little "battle" with a land show that is going on at the same time.

We are going in July and we plan to do the excursion again.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need more.

Ken

Thanks Ken,

That helps a lot. Thank you so much! :wave2: My DH was attracted to the excursion but I worried about it being fun for our daughter. It sounds like she will have a great time. Did you do the daytime sail or the sunset sail? We have early seating so we would miss dinner but I thought about scheduling a late Palo ressie for my DH and I and letting Eva eat hot dogs with Grammy at Pluto’s. They would probably enjoy that more anyway knowing them. ;)

vpalmer
05-15-2006, 10:08 AM
We did the exact same excursion with our 3 year old. We did the sunset cruise and it was amazing. Even made it back on time for late seating dining. This was back in May. Anyways, I loved it but I love being out on the ocean and sail. They even served homemade soup to us. It was a little chillier than I expected and we forgot our jackets. The sunset was amazing....

Wow, that sounds like a great experience. What time does the sunset sail leave? Is there time for an early nap before departure? I have heard the Key West sunsets are amazing so it might be nice to see it from the schooner. May I also ask what time you got back? I was thinking I might have to make a 8:45 Palo seating to be safe.

kennygee
05-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Thanks Ken,

That helps a lot. Thank you so much! :wave2: My DH was attracted to the excursion but I worried about it being fun for our daughter. It sounds like she will have a great time. Did you do the daytime sail or the sunset sail? We have early seating so we would miss dinner but I thought about scheduling a late Palo ressie for my DH and I and letting Eva eat hot dogs with Grammy at Pluto’s. They would probably enjoy that more anyway knowing them. ;)

We did the day sail and plan to it again this July. We usually like to spend some time on the ship while in Key West. Hope you have a good time.

OurDogCisco
05-16-2006, 10:02 AM
Wow, that sounds like a great experience. What time does the sunset sail leave? Is there time for an early nap before departure? I have heard the Key West sunsets are amazing so it might be nice to see it from the schooner. May I also ask what time you got back? I was thinking I might have to make a 8:45 Palo seating to be safe.

It depends on the time of the year you go as the sunset times change. We went in May so the sunset was around 7 or 7:30 pm. We got back to the ship about 8:30 pm. We were 15 minutes late and didn't get a chance to change but we still went to dinner as it was my youngest birthday. I'd first fine out when the sunset will be for your cruise... I believe, there is a sunset and sunrise webpage but I couldnt' find it. Maybe someone here knows.