PDA

View Full Version : car seats in eastern ports

earpiemom
05-04-2006, 09:39 PM
We will be traveling with our 23 month old. Are there seat belts in the taxis/buses in St. Thomas and St. Marteen? Thanks!

aprilgail2
05-05-2006, 04:52 AM
I am not sure arbout St Marteen but in St thomas there were no seat belts in the "cabs"...one cab we took was like this open thiin that they packed about 16 of us in and it was like bench seats. I made sure my daughter was in the middle because I was afraid she was going to fall out since there wasn't much holding the end people in. On the way back we got a old van that they use for a cab with all the windows gone. I think we were lucky there were seats in it nevermind seat belts LOL.

lbgraves
05-05-2006, 06:29 AM
There were minivans with seatbelts in St. Maarten last year. The driver wouldn't move until everyone was buckled in. :)

tvguy
05-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Depends on the cab. A lot of the cabs in St Thomas and St Maarten are good old US made full sized pickups, with the right side wall of the bed cut out, and benches bolted in without seatbelts.

Minnie724
05-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I agree with a previous post. It completely depends on the taxi. We found that the majority of the taxis did not have any seat belts. St. Maarten seemed to have more vans and some of the seat belts worked. St Thomas seemed to have more of the open air taxis where you sit on the bench.

mattmommy
05-05-2006, 02:25 PM
You were lucky to have wheels and a seat. They didn't seem to be very big on doors and seat belts.

earpiemom
05-05-2006, 03:04 PM
Oh my gosh! I guess I thought they might be more advanced than that. I thought the Bahamas were bad. I guess we might just do some walking around with the stroller.

jodifla
05-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Oh my gosh! I guess I thought they might be more advanced than that. I thought the Bahamas were bad. I guess we might just do some walking around with the stroller.

We're taking our 4-year-old on a taxi in St. Thomas to get to our excursion. Frankly, I don't worry about stuff like this. Most of the world drives around without car seats. You won't have them on any of the Disney transportation, either.

mattmommy
05-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Very true. My ds5 feels like a prince when he gets to ride a WDW bus.

We've occassionally take trips to NYC to see shows and just buckle him in the middle of us in the cabs. Of course we hold onto him and pray a lot. If you've never been in a NYC cab, but have seen the movies==they're pretty accurate.

Funny story. One day we saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (excellent show) and couldn't get a cab down to Penn Station. DS was 4 and it was a bit nippy out and PS was about 10 blocks away. Not bad for two adults, but with a little guy it was gonna be rough.

Well this pedi-bike (think rickshaw with a bike attached) offered us a ride for $20. We talked him down to $10. DH and I aren't tiny people and we really wedged into this thing. Poor ds. Poor driver. He was this skinny man who had to stand up to pedal our big butts down the block. I wish we had a picture. We gave him a $5 tip because we laughed so much.