PDA

View Full Version : Wyndham Palms?

mpsmps
05-04-2006, 08:48 PM
The reviews of this recently have seemed mixed. Has anyone stayed recently? Is it getting rundown? Is the pool with the slide open?
Thank you.

swilshire
05-05-2006, 03:30 AM
Wyndham Palms is almost brand new and still being built. There is another resort with a similar name, so maybe there is some confusion between the two. Where are you reading reviews?

We are owners at Wyndham Palms. We bought it without even seeing it, but once we stayed there, found it to be a beautiful resort. You might want to avoid the timeshare salesmen, but other than that, I don't think you'll have any complaints.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them, though I've only stayed there two weeks.

Sheila

mpsmps
05-05-2006, 08:27 AM
I'm talking about Wyndham Palms Resort and Country Club. Some of the reviews I've read were on Travelocity and TripAdvisor and said the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful, and the rooms had mildew and were dirty and getting old.
They did say the newer buildings were nicer, but is there any way to assure getting one of those?
Thank you so much for your help.

swilshire
05-05-2006, 08:56 AM
I always take the reviews on TripAdvisor with a grain of salt. I've seen some terrible reviews of places I've stayed in and loved, so maybe I just get lucky all the time.

I didn't think the resort was started all that long ago, but maybe someone here knows more. I know they were still building when we were there for Christmas of 2004.

The unit we stayed in was just spotless. My only complaint was that they give you a limited supply of things like toilet paper and have you call for more. They immediately bring more, but it seemed like an excuse to get you on the phone to try to book a sales meeting. We did go to their free luncheon, but it was very low key. Maybe because I told the saleswoman immediately how little I had paid for my unit.

A coworker of mine has also stayed there and loved it, but did see a snake outside her door one day.

The only staff we really had any contact with was the front desk group. They were absolutely wonderful at checkin. We had two weeks reserved (one an exchange and one that we owned) and ask to stay in the same unit for the two weeks. We also requested a ground floor unit. They had to punch around on the computer for a few minutes to get what we wanted, but did so cheerfully. At checkout we had a bit of confusion because I had been charged for toll-free calls, which should have been free. The girl who was checking me out didn't believe that 877 calls were toll free, but the lady next to her corrected her quickly and helped her remove the charges.

We may decide to go back this year for Christmas again. It really is a terrific resort. Very easy in and out to Disney World. And my 7yo loved the Trix yogurt at the daily free breakfasts by the pool.

Sheila

mbb
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
I'm talking about Wyndham Palms Resort and Country Club. Some of the reviews I've read were on Travelocity and TripAdvisor and said the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful, and the rooms had mildew and were dirty and getting old.
They did say the newer buildings were nicer, but is there any way to assure getting one of those?

The best way would be to rent a week from an owner of one of the newer units..there are a few weeks for rent on www.tug2.net , but I'm not sure if they're the newer buildings or not.

We toured the resort last year - it really is very nice:)

And like swilshire said, we always take the trip advisor reviews with a grain of salt too :thumbsup2 ...

The pool situation would concern me though...the pools were still under construction while we were there, and noted the crowded conditions of the main pool during our tour.

If you're going at a busy time of year, I would double check that the additional pools would be open.

We're huge pool fans, though, so if you don't plan on spending lots of time swimming, you'll be fine with the units. We toured the studio,1,2 bedrooms..will your group be okay with the 2 bed+studio setup? (I think that's how they do the 3 bedroom bookings...maybe swilshire could confirm..??)

HTH!!
:sunny:

mpsmps
05-05-2006, 05:37 PM
I'm going to check into all these suggestions. Thank you all so much!

Jeanne B
05-10-2006, 06:31 AM
As an owner at Wyndham Palms I was not very happy to find that the pool w/ slide was not open when we were there last week (we purchased a unit in bldg 27 which is within walking distance to this pool). We were assured that the pool was going to be open a year ago and we've been there twice since and it's still not open. :( They were planting palm trees and there's still some further landscaping to do - I would guess that it will be open shortly but when we were there in October it appeared that it would definitely be open for this trip and it wasn't so I'll believe it when I see it.

I would suggest requesting one of the newer buildings although none of the buildings are all that old since it's a fairly new resort. We were initially put in building 18 which is what I requested (we had never stayed in this section but it's next to one of the pools that's open) and I could see slightly more wear compared to the buildings that we're normally in and there are a few minor differences in the newer units which we prefer. As it turned out there was a HUGE party in the unit below us the first night we arrived - we made a noise complaint (along with many other guests) and we were able to get moved to a 4th floor unit in building 28 which is what we normally request.

Overall it's a beautiful resort that I would recommend to anyone. I always recommend the newer buildings as well as a 4th floor unit since they tend to be quieter due to less foot traffic - this can be a factor since the spare bedroom window faces the walkway. They now have 2 new buildings (31 & 32) that have 6 floors but we didn't have time to peek at one of the units. They're higher up on the hill and we wondered if you could see the fireworks at WDW from the 6th floor units and I forgot to ask when we checked out. We were also happy that the timeshare salesmen didn't call us repeatadly to try to set up the "maintenace check" like they did last time. :teeth: I already decided beforehand that we weren't going to answer the phone in our unit but to our surprise it never rang!! :thumbsup2

NHLFAN
05-10-2006, 04:37 PM
We stayed at the Wyndham Palms in early Feb. and enjoyed it!

We requested the new building 31 and received it...We stayed on the sixth floor in a two bedroom...Nice leather sectional with Big Screen TV and a large dining room.
The master bedroom and patio looked out to the golf course across the street and the second bedroom looked out towards Disney.

They were still working on the pool out in front of the building...

Jeanne B
05-10-2006, 05:10 PM
the second bedroom looked out towards Disney.

So you must be able to see the fireworks off in the distance from the 6th floor units??

NHLFAN
05-11-2006, 01:03 AM
So you must be able to see the fireworks off in the distance from the 6th floor units??

We arrived back to the resort late each night so we didn't get a chance to see the fireworks, but Spaceship Earth could be seen in the distance.

Sherri
05-14-2006, 01:09 PM

When we booked our trip to Boston to stay at the Boston Park Plaza, I was so excited. Then came the tripadvisor reviews. I was expecting this whole in the ground hotel with the meanest most unhelpful staff. I worried for nothing. It was the most beautiful hotel ever. My point is, you can't always believe everything you read on TripAdvisor. When we stayed at the Wyndham Palms two years ago, we loved it. Just avoid the timeshare people and fine you will be.