PDA

View Full Version : Pay for a private tour in St. Marteen or sight see on our own?

princessh
05-04-2006, 04:05 PM
We were thinking of paying for a private tour in St. Marteen. I was wondering could we see just as much taking the water taxi to differnt stops and touring around? We are a group of six with two kids ages 11 and 3. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

TheWog
05-05-2006, 08:37 AM
The water taxi will only take you to two stops within Great Bay. You won't see too much. If you want to see the entire island you should definitely look into a tour on your own (or through DCL). They will take you away from Philipsburg and get you to go around the island. Be sure of timing and stuff as some have said traffic can be an issue later in the day.

lorrainesy
05-05-2006, 10:05 AM
I plan on doing a private tour in St. Marteen next time. Our last trip we went sightseeing on our own and after hearing of others day there we wish we would have done a tour

ImMarcik
05-05-2006, 10:20 AM
We are doing the private tour. I think it will be much less stress for someone to show us things then us try to figure out where to go on our own.

videogal1
05-05-2006, 10:23 AM
We were thinking of paying for a private tour in St. Marteen. I was wondering could we see just as much taking the water taxi to differnt stops and touring around? We are a group of six with two kids ages 11 and 3. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I did the private tour of St. Maarten and was sure glad I did! Not only was the driver informative and hilarious but she saved us from missing the ship when, at the peak of afternoon travel, we came upon a tour bus that had slipped sideways across the road leaving no room to get around it... As our driver was so knowledgable of the local geography, she knew how far to back up to cut through on a dirt track and get to another road and back to the ship in time... What an adventure! On our way back she flagged down several lost tourists, told them about the detour around the wreck and to fall in behind her to go the back way.
We saw a lot!
:thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

WMILLER86
05-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Lynda,

Did you use Joyce Prince?

Willie

cntkg1
05-05-2006, 12:34 PM
We did the St Martin Island Drive and Explorer Cruise offered through DCL. It was a bus tour around the Dutch Side. We got on a boat and cruised over to the French Side for awhile. We got free rum punch, oj, and soda and some snacks on the boat and both the tour guides were very informative and funny! The Passporter says that this is unpopular but our bus was full!! We absolutely loved this excursion and I believe we paid $55.00/person for it.

princessh
05-05-2006, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I will be booking a tour! I sent an e-mail to Joyce Prince to see if she still has a spot open. I just need to decide if I want to do a half day or full day tour. Any suggestions. It is only $90 more for the full day. Is it worth it?