PDA

View Full Version : Hair Braiding

linnied
05-04-2006, 07:55 AM
Hello everyone. I have a question about the hair braiding they do on board ship and at castaway key.

My 11 yr old dd has blond thin (not very thin but thin) hair. It gets like straw and can turn green from the chlorine. Can briading her hair especially in the beginning of the cruise damage her hair terribly? I would hate to take out the braids 2 weeks later or how ever long they can stay in and have her hair be streaked green and or break completely. Any tips on conditioning before/during/after to keep the hair healthy and green free?

linnied
05-07-2006, 06:26 AM
doesnt any one want to help me out on this one :sad1:

bjkj
05-07-2006, 08:06 AM
Okay, I can try and help a little. My DD 9 had her hair braided. Her hair is really thick though and more of a dark blonde. Her hair did break a little but she kept them in for 6 weeks. Most of the hair falling out was from the natural shedding you have. The hair just doesn't have anywhere to go and gets stuck in the braids and doesn't fall out till the braids come out.

I would get her hair in tip top shape before the cruise. I wouldn't condition her hair while braided because it will loosen the braids and they will fall out easier. When you take the braids out, just cut out the rubberbands with a nail sissors, load the conditioner on and start combing out from the bottom. They came out really easy for us.

Also, my DD slept with a bandana on each night, it kept her hair from getting fuzzy. That's also what helped them last so long. Don't forget the sunscreen on her scalp!

As far as the green goes, when my DD was younger, her hair was very blonde. Redken had a wonderful product just for swimmers that kept her hair green free.

I hope this helps make your decision. My DD loved them, looked cute as can be and didn't have any problems. But, her hair is thick and tough, she also doesn't use a blow dryer or curling iron ever, so it's in really good shape. I guess that I'd kind of weigh everything before deciding.

One more thing, she had it done on the ship. The ladies did a great job. Good luck. Have fun! :crazy:

Twinprincesses
05-07-2006, 08:32 AM
I had my hair braided on our honeymoon and my hair did break off a little bit. It also got very dry and my scalp got sun burned. I probably will never get it done again.

poconoboatniks
05-07-2006, 02:36 PM
My daughter has had her hair braided numerous times. She does shedd a fair amount of hair and her scalp is dry when she finally takes out the braids. Our hairdresser told us to wet her hair in the shower before going into the pool. Wet hair can't absorb any of the cholrinated pool water. As for scalp burn, dd wears a hat of some sort or uses a spray sunscreen meant for the hair/scalp. Banana Boat scalp sunscreen is in a blueish clear bottle. The woman who braided dd's hair told us not to condition because conditioner softens the braids.

mikerry
05-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Use a clarifying shampoo on your daughter's hair every third or fourth time during summer and lots of swimming. Be sure to use a heavy moisturizing conditioner after since clarifying shampoos strip ALL the dirt, etc. out.

We have 2 light blonde girls (one with very thick hair, one with thin hair). Their hairdresser told me that it is not the chlorine that turns the hair green, it is the minerals (mostly copper) that are in the water. You know how a copper statue turns green over time? Same theory. By using a clarifying shampoo (like Prell, or some other deep cleaning shampoo) it removes the minerals from the hair shaft. :sunny:

Maybe since the water in the pools on the ship are processed sea water, they will have the majority of minerals already removed? Just a thought. ;)