PDA

View Full Version : Birth Certificate ?

antkim
05-04-2006, 06:29 AM
O.K...this is going to sound dumb, I know, but it will bother me until I ask! :teeth:

Since my birth certificate has my maiden name on it and my driver's licence has my married name, will this cause confusion? Do I need to bring my marriage certificate as well?

Humor me, :rotfl:

Kim

linnied
05-04-2006, 07:16 AM
its not a dumb question - I wonder the same thing. If we dont get a diffinate answere I will be bringing my marriage cert. my divorse papers and anything else I can think of to avoid a problem :goodvibes

Kgroo
05-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Anytime that I have ever traveled with just my Birth Certificate, it has never been a problem. I did go ahead last year and get a passport since it will be mandatory to have one to go anywhere out of the country by the end of the year. If you aren't traveling for a couple of months, I would go ahead and get a passport.

BuzzBoyMom
05-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Anytime that I have ever traveled with just my Birth Certificate, it has never been a problem. I did go ahead last year and get a passport since it will be mandatory to have one to go anywhere out of the country by the end of the year. If you aren't traveling for a couple of months, I would go ahead and get a passport.

I've always used mine...maiden name...DL name different, NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

It has been asked before and I've never seen ANYONE else have a problem either. So, relax. You're fine.

kaceyisme
05-04-2006, 07:26 AM
When we cruised last August, I just took my birth certificate and driver's license. I had no problem at all with having my maiden name on my birth certificate and married name on my driver's license.

pearlieq
05-04-2006, 07:28 AM
If you have your marriage cert handy it couldn't hurt to bring it along.

I always travel with ours because I kept my name when we got married. I always wanted to be able to prove I was his next of kin if he had a medical emergency.

MrsMork
05-04-2006, 07:52 AM
We've cruised several times. I have always taken our marriage certificate "just in case" but have never been asked for it. I continue to take it though "just in case". :confused3

antkim
05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys!

I do have my marriage certificate so I will bring it along as well.

Do I really need 2 forms of photo ID? I have 2 but my dh only has his license.

Thanks!

Kgroo
05-04-2006, 08:48 AM
You absolutely need your BC or a passport - you are going out of the country. The BC has to be one with a raised seal, not a hospital copy. When is your cruise? There is a website where you can order your BC online and get it sent Fed Ex. I ordered one (for another purpose) and I received within 3 days.

antkim
05-04-2006, 08:55 AM
You absolutely need your BC or a passport - you are going out of the country. The BC has to be one with a raised seal, not a hospital copy. When is your cruise? There is a website where you can order your BC online and get it sent Fed Ex. I ordered one (for another purpose) and I received within 3 days.

No,no...I have my BC..raised seal and I have my marriage license. I just didn't know if I needed 2 forms of photo ID or just 1.

Thanks!

MrsMork
05-04-2006, 09:10 AM
One photo ID and your BC is what you need. :thumbsup2

KimberlyC
05-04-2006, 09:26 AM
If you have your marriage cert handy it couldn't hurt to bring it along.

I always travel with ours because I kept my name when we got married. I always wanted to be able to prove I was his next of kin if he had a medical emergency.

ITA. The only problem I ever had was not on a cruise but re-entering the US after a day of shopping in Canada. I have a passport but DS only had a BC (he was 2 months old). I kept my maiden name so the customs guy was questioning me (rather rudely) about whether or not "my baby's father" knew I had taken him out of the country. "Well my baby's father is my husband!!! I kept my maiden name for professional reasons. And yes MY HUSBAND is well aware that we went to the mall to buy wedding shower gifts for my best friend since she's registered at the Bay and we don't have those in Michigan. He said have fun." I was pretty matter of fact about it and fortunately the custom's guy dropped it because I didn't have my marriage certificate with me.

tvguy
05-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Check with Disney to be sure.

Another reason why a Passport is the best way to go. We keep our birth certificates and wedding license locked up in the safe deposit at the bank. I'd be afraid to travel with them for fear they would be damaged or lost.