PDA

View Full Version : DCL Cruising thru a Hurricane

waldomommy
05-04-2006, 02:51 AM
Has anyone had any experience with cruising Disney during a hurricane? How'd they handle outrunning the hurricane, or changing ports? Did it mean extra days at sea without going to a port, and if so, how'd they handle the schedule/navigator for an impromptu and very-unscheduled day at sea?

I ask bc we were set to cruise on 9/9 this year on the seven night W. Carrib., but my husband got cold feet about the weather issue. But it was such a great deal, I was trying to see if I could convince him that the price is right to roll the dice...

Any insight appreciated!

mbaker
05-04-2006, 03:41 AM
Has anyone had any experience with cruising Disney during a hurricane? How'd they handle outrunning the hurricane, or changing ports? Did it mean extra days at sea without going to a port, and if so, how'd they handle the schedule/navigator for an impromptu and very-unscheduled day at sea?

I ask bc we were set to cruise on 9/9 this year on the seven night W. Carrib., but my husband got cold feet about the weather issue. But it was such a great deal, I was trying to see if I could convince him that the price is right to roll the dice...

Any insight appreciated!

We were on the 7 day Jeanne cruise.
Seas were rough for 1 day and 2 night, we missed CC.
DCL more than made up for the difference.
Deck parties, discounts, ship board credit, and savings on our next cruise.
I've been cruising since 1999, always in Sept. no problems.

Spotdude
05-04-2006, 04:34 AM
We had rought seas last Oct but the storms were sever hundredmiles away, but it was really rough. THey all went right along with it though several excurtions were canseled though. The people were just moved to differant ones, I do not know if there was any credit issued for the differance in price. I am sure that there was.

Skallywag
05-04-2006, 05:05 AM
We sailed last October 22nd on the Western repositioned to Eastern because of Wilma. Missed Key west and had extra day at sea outrunning another tropical storm but it was not a problem. Only thing was it was very humid and camera steamed up also glasses when going from air conditioned room to deck.

Apart from that it was no problem - just need to cruise again to catch up on the ports we missed.

Just go for it - Disney will never put their ship or passengers in danger at all.

mmouse37
05-04-2006, 05:38 AM
Last august on the repo cruise we dodged the brunt of, I think it was Hillary, so we could not get to Cabo San Lucas but we went to Manzinillo instead.....seas were rough and weather rainy for a day but it would not keep me from cruising that time of the year at all....in fact we were also booked on a cruise in fall of '04 when Jeanne was to hit. Our 7 day cruise was delayed 2 days and left from Ft. Lauderdale instead, but DCL did what they could to make up for it as mentioned in the other post above.

Make sure you have travel insurance....we were reinburmed for all our expenses that we had due to the change of plans in itinerary (2 nights hotel, 2 days extra rental cars, 2 days meals....).

We are booked again for this fall....so if you are prepared and can roll with the punches....go for it.

Hurricane season is from June 1 to Nov 30 so that is a big chunk of time not to cruise just because of weather. I'd rather get a great deal and take my chances with the weather.

RAD
05-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Last September they couldn't dock back at Port Canavaral so we ended up in Port Everglades (Ft. Lauderdale). Disney provided bus transportation back to either your resort, airport or the DCL terminal.

winotracy
05-04-2006, 06:21 AM

Any insight appreciated!

We're on the 9/9 cruise this year with you :banana: I have only cruised DCL during hurricane season. Out of 38 days on a cruise ship in the summer and fall, only 3 days have been rough seas and only 1 had anything to do with a hurricane. The other two days were out of Port Canaveral we had high seas (up to 20ft) and it lasted for two days (Eastern cruise). The hurricane was Hillary, the same cruise MJ was on. Those were up to 30ft seas and strong winds. We didn't do a lot that day, but it was one day out of 14 so not a big problem. Because we were going down the coast of Mexico to the Panama Canal, we couldn't really go anywhere else, just stay about 350 miles away from the hurricane (if I remember correctly). We were going in an opposite direction from the storm.

WDWLVR
05-04-2006, 06:42 AM

Any insight appreciated!

First off welcome to the DIS and the DCL forums!

We were on a Wonder cruise last September at the time Ophelia was near Port Canaveral. The Captain kept us well informed and the decision was made that instead of going back to Port Canaveral we would dock at Fort Lauderdale and be bussed back up. DCL did a great job of making the transition smooth. They even brought down the porters from Port Canaveral and boy did those guys hustle! Don't worry DCL will do everything possible to give you and your family a great cruise even is Mother Nature tries to throw some curve balls.

Kgroo
05-04-2006, 07:20 AM
We are also going to be on the 9/9 cruise. I was a little concerned, but figured that we'll just make the best out of whatever happens if something does happen. :sunny:

Sarangel
05-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the DIS. For the two of you that are new & sailing on the 9/9 W. Carribean, come on over & join our cruise meet thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=881942. We're hoping to get together at least for the Sailaway party, and it's always cool to 'meet' some of the people that you're cruising with before you end up on the ship. :thumbsup2

Rence
05-04-2006, 11:18 AM

We were on a Wonder cruise last September at the time Ophelia was near Port Canaveral. The Captain kept us well informed and the decision was made that instead of going back to Port Canaveral we would dock at Fort Lauderdale and be bussed back up. DCL did a great job of making the transition smooth. They even brought down the porters from Port Canaveral and boy did those guys hustle! Don't worry DCL will do everything possible to give you and your family a great cruise even is Mother Nature tries to throw some curve balls.

We were on that cruise as well. DCL did a great job. They identified those that needed to be back the earliest (early flight out of MCO) and got them underway first. The whole process was very organized. We had a car at the port so we took a bus back to Port Canaveral - they had boxed snacks on the bus for us, played Disney movies etc.

jiminyC_fan
05-04-2006, 11:37 AM
We were on the Eastern repo and experienced Hillary. DCL does a terrific job of skirting the hurricanes. What we did go through was "fun" for DH and myself. I wouldn't hesitate in doing another "hurricane" cruise.

crzy4magic
05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
We were also on the repo cruise that had the close brush with Pacific Hurricane Hillary. The captain did a great job of "getting out of the way" when the storm turned more north than forcast. They swapped the at sea activities planned for the next day in and after a couple of hours things were pretty much back to a normal at see day.

That was far from the worst conditions we ver encountered - coming out of St. Thomas on our second cruise when we passed through the channel between St. Thomas and Puerto Rico we were rocked with 30 to 40 foot swells from a storm over a 1000 miles north of us - clear blue skies, no wind but lots of rocking and rolling that night. The captain rerouted us to sail inside the Bahamas on our way to Castaway Cay to get out of the swells - but it took a few hours to get some islands between us and the storm.

At one of the Ships Officers Talks, when they were asked this question, the First Officer said that he had alternate routings to fall back on based upon weather and other forecasts. And he had no intention of ever sailing close to a hurricane.

I don't think you have a lot to worry about - the most disruptions during hurricane season were not on the ship, but when Port Canaveral got hit while the ships were sailing out of harms way.

Euphscott
05-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Only thing was it was very humid and camera steamed up also glasses when going from air conditioned room to deck.

This happens in the Caribbean all the time - hurricanes or no!

jodifla
05-04-2006, 03:16 PM
We were on the Wonder 3-night cruise in Sept. 2004. When we drove to Port Canaveral to spend the night at the Radisson, Hurricane Jeanne was heading out to sea. Well, she doubled-back! By the time we got on the ship (we spent all morning swimming at the great Radisson pool) they gave us an alternate itinerary. All those Nassua plans I'd made were out the window...we were going to Key West instead they said, and no CC.

We were disappointed, and a bit freaked out that the hurricane was now heading back to our house! We even toyed with the idea of getting off and driving home! But we got over it. Well, as we left the port, the captain came on and said, that they'd gotten a new report on the hurricane. So, he said, we weren't going to Key West, either. We were going to Cozumel! And we weren't on a three night cruise anymore, we were on a 4 night cruise! And we weren't coming back into Port Canaveral, we were going back to Fort Lauderdale, our place of residence!

Kinda stunning news. Half the boat was celebrating, half the boat was completely freaked out about missing their flights. It wasn't too big a deal for us, the boat was practically parking in front of where I work. (Of course, our car was in Port Canveral!)

DCL did all it could...opening up phone lines to call home for free, letting people use the computers to book alternate flights.

We ended up having an absolute BLAST! We were so glad to be on the boat instead of powerless in SoFla. And, we got a free extra night, so we were able to sneak in a Palo brunch, too. Cozumel was a perfect fit for us, as we used the Playa Mia Beach Break and were able to spend all day in the pool with DS, then 2, and we all stood around on the deck drinking while we watched CNN as the hurricane approached Florida.

I say, if you can be flexible, it's a great time to go. Definitely buy travel insurance. Have a Plan B in place, and have a great time!

Cyndy
05-04-2006, 05:06 PM
Hey Mary, it's Cyyynnndy!
Your post brought back so many wonderful memories, wish we were joinin you all again this year but we leave in a few weeks for a trip on the Wonder and OKW with 5 of our dgks! Can't wait :banana: :banana: It will be so much fun to share the cruise with them!

We were very impressed with how well Disney handled things (even if they wouldn't just give us another day at sea). We compared the level of information with a prior RC cruise and there was NO comparison at all. DCL wins hands down.

Cyndy

dreamcometrue
05-04-2006, 05:26 PM
we plan on cruising in August of 2008, and I am not too worried about it. From everything I have read here, DCL takes very good care of it. As far as I can tell, there has only been one incident where the whole cruise was cancelled because of a hurricane.

Stitch#1
05-04-2006, 05:37 PM

We were on the ship with Mary and like she said they kept us well informed and even brought there CM down to Ft Lauderdale to help us when we got off the ship. They really made it a smooth transition and helped in any way possible.

Cindi0511
05-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Don't forget to pack Shirley's phone numbers! She's been a lifesaver to many DISers due to inclement weather and other problems. Truly a gem! :goodvibes

DisneyElf
05-04-2006, 11:06 PM
You usually will have more problems getting to the ship - due to a hurricane change of ports (DCL is a bit more disorganized getting people to Ft. Lauderdale). But - they did go out of there way to make up for it !

I still remember waking up the morning of Hillary -- thought I was going to be rolled out of my bed :rotfl2: Getting breakfast was fun - though they had a lot of extra hands up at Topsiders to grab the trays if you were the least bit unsteady on your feet. :goodvibes

captaincrash
05-04-2006, 11:06 PM
We were booked on a 7 nite eastern 2 years ago....

... hurricane Frances was threatening port canaveral on the weekend we were to embark. We were told before the weekend that we could cancel, or if we went they would give us a 5 nite sailing which departed monday instead of Saturday; and thatg we would get 40% refunded, 25% off a future cruise, and an additional $200 cabin credit on top of our $100 cabin credit from our TA. We decided to go - mostly because we NEEDED a vacation and were really looking forward to returning to our 2nd Disney sailing. SO we took off - and had to change our flights 7x while enroute - ending up only as close as Charlotte because ever airport in FLorida was closed - and as our flights were canceling ahead of us - forcing rearrangements - the 2 alternate airports which were closer had no remain seats to get in on - so the quickest and closest we could get was Charlotte so that we could get into Jacksonville by car so as to drive down to port canaveral on Monday.

Well - driving from Charlotte to Jacksonville was interesting to say the least. Let's just say I felt really uncomfortable being one of the few cars driving TOWARDS the hurricane when everyone else was driving away. Well, what can I say - it was a bit dumb and we're from the west coast so we had little idea of what was really involved - as in how big these things were or what was involved. We eventually made it into Jacksonville.

The next morning we found out that the Magic was going to stay at sea another day and we were going to embark NOT from Port Canaveral but from Fort Lauderdale. For our additional lost day they were refunding us another 10%, upgtading us from window to veranda, providing a nite at their Polynesian resort and providing Disny World Ultra passes to our family. Oh yeah... they would also provide transfers to Fort Lauderdale and back from port canaveral afterwards. No food though. We ended up pulling in late to the hotel and they were extremely gracious about changing our ultra passes into passes that would allow a return anytime in the next 10 years.

As we met other folks at the hotel - they told us their camping out at the resort had been very uncomfortable. Staff required they stay inside their rooms the whole time - no wandering inside the resort or hall ways. Food in the resort was expensive and annoying to have to buy just from the resort.

As it turns out - on our way to the port we heard of one bus that broke down enroute. The ship waited for them to catch up. Just as those folks boarded the ship litterally cast off. We sort of pieced together that they put together 3 ships worth of passengers onto our 4 nite sailing. Everyone got 25% off a future cruise and $200 cabin credits. There - the compensation differed somewhat from what we got. We were losing 3 of 4 nights voyage - and other folks were gaining a nite on the ship or getting what they booked. The WOnder was NOT sailing that week - and there was wild speculation as to what they were doing with that ship.

So - once we were aboard we set sail for Cozumel. We are not huge fans of western ports. We had been under the impression that our "special" ports of San Juan/St Thomas/Casaway Caye/St Maarten(??) were going to only lose one or two of the ports - so we were happy to try and make the sailing. Once we were committed and enroute - we had no choice. But if we had known in advance before hopping our flight - that it would only be 4 nites sailing and a western - we probably would NOT have gone. BUT - once we were aboard - we still had a blast.

Overall... we thought the way Disney staff (in our case - group sales) was way over the top given the difficult circumstances they probably had. I know what it can be like to deal with the public during a crisis... and it had to be tough. You could feel the efffort the CM were making over the phone to answer the same questions over and over - and their helpful but diplomaticly limited and measured responses. I credit them with HIGH PRAISE for professionalism under pressure.

With that in mind - I can encourage you to book with out fear of whether Disney will be there for you - or short change you in a crisis. I think that if you remain flexible then you will survive any hurricane adjustments - for the most part... :rolleyes:

MrsJobba1
05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
I thought it very comforting reading this tread.

Thanks to the op for posting :thumbsup2