PDA

View Full Version : Best ginger tablets?

YFamily
05-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Can anyone suggest a good brand of ginger tablets to take to prevent sea sickness? Due to a medical condition, I cannot take the usual medication. I heard the ginger tabs can work wonders!

Does anyone have a favorite brand? Hopefully where I can get them in under two weeks time?

Thank you!
Cruising May 14th!

smores
05-03-2006, 05:17 PM
i like ginger altoids (hard to find but target has them!)

Rence
05-03-2006, 05:40 PM
I have taken a few different brands over the years and found them all pretty much the same. I get powdered ginger in capsule form. I take two a about four times a day. I take additional if I start to feel a bit off. Works great.

My last trip I bought them at The Vitamin Shoppe and it was their store brand.

webray
05-03-2006, 07:15 PM
I get mine at Whole Foods grocery store, their brand and I have used them for years.

tvguy
05-03-2006, 09:53 PM
Can anyone suggest a good brand of ginger tablets to take to prevent sea sickness? Due to a medical condition, I cannot take the usual medication. I heard the ginger tabs can work wonders!

Does anyone have a favorite brand? Hopefully where I can get them in under two weeks time?

Thank you!
Cruising May 14th!

Consumer Reports did a write up on the health hazards some people face from taking ginger. Actually, interestingly enough, the article was on "bad advice given on internet chat boards", and it specifically mentioned people on cruise line boards (not this one) recommending ginger for seasickness.
Apparently ginger is a big no no for people with certain medical condtions, so check with your doctor first.

Cindi0511
05-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Apparently ginger is a big no no for people with certain medical condtions, so check with your doctor first.

Thanks for the heads up. Never thought of that, but since I don't have any medical conditions, I'm very interested in this as a non-medicinal possibility. Any idea of what the conditions mentioned were?

Thank you! :goodvibes

ETA: This is all from the free story on their website:
"For seasickness, several users suggest ginger root, with no warning of side effects. The truth: Ginger has blood-thinning effects that could be dangerous for some people. "

momrek06
05-03-2006, 11:11 PM

Thank you!
Cruising May 14th!

SAILOR'S SECRET!!! They have a website called www.sailors-secret.com !! They have quite a few items for motion sickness. Check it out.

tvguy
05-04-2006, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Never thought of that, but since I don't have any medical conditions, I'm very interested in this as a non-medicinal possibility. Any idea of what the conditions mentioned were?

Thank you! :goodvibes

ETA: This is all from the free story on their website:
"For seasickness, several users suggest ginger root, with no warning of side effects. The truth: Ginger has blood-thinning effects that could be dangerous for some people. "

The blood thinning effects were the problem mentioned with ginger. I could guess that would be an issue for folks already on blood thinners, like people who have had heart valve replacement, and folks with ulcers, but again, your doctor would be the best place to check.