PDA

View Full Version : Pressed Pennies

bevtoy
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
Has anyone ever seen a pressed penny machine on board a Disney Ship or at Port Canaveral? We are collectors.

captaincrash
05-03-2006, 01:15 AM
No... :confused3

ollie'smom
05-03-2006, 02:13 AM
There is a web site that will list sites of machines by state. I believe they refer to the pennies as "enlongated pennies". We are collectors too, I have not looked in FLA yet. Good Luck!!

WDWLVR
05-03-2006, 05:52 AM
When we first sailed on the Magic back in 1999 they did have one outside of Treasure Ketch. When we sailed again in 2001 they were gone. I've haven't seen them since either on the ships or in the terminal.

DVC Jen
05-03-2006, 06:45 AM
That is very disapointing. :(

Our youngest DD has been collecting for years. She was really looking forward to getting a DCL pressed penny.

jrabbit
05-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Yes - In 1999 and they were similar to the WDW "year 2000" pennies/quarters. Unfortunately we didn't get any then (we didn't have any pennies or quarters since the ship is "cashless" - just the card). On our second cruise we came prepared with quarters and pennies but alas, NO Machines!! They probably didn't do to brisk of a business because of the "cashless society" the DCL created onboard.

MSWint
05-03-2006, 02:53 PM
There are no pressed penny machines onboard any longer, but bring some shiny pennies and some quarters, many of the ports have them.

NurseChell
05-03-2006, 03:01 PM
:sad1: : :sad: Too bad about No pennie machines. We've been collecting them for ages. As long as they have them at ports, I'll be pretty happy.

cinderella_mom
05-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Too bad. DD loves to collect pressed pennies at DL. I'm surprised Disney took them out since it's additional revenue and a great souvenir.

jrabbit
05-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Too bad. DD loves to collect pressed pennies at DL. I'm surprised Disney took them out since it's additional revenue and a great souvenir."additional revenue" - Not really. If everyone bought 4 pennies during the cruise the Magic would generate about $4,000 and the Wonder would generate about $8,000. OK so $12,000 per week is $624,000 per year - nothing to sneeze at - and maybe a down payment on a new ship :rotfl2: Remember that's the maximum amout they could earn - actual amount would probably be about 15% of that which is still about $100,000 per year. DCL probably feels that as a profit center that it didn't bring in enough $$$ to justify keeping it.

great souvenir: Absolutly. I'm afraid to count how many smashed pennies we have - 50 cents a pop doesn't sound like much when you're buying them, but once you add up ALL that we've purchased you go "holy cow" that's a lot. And we keep buying them when we find new one. How do we know if it's a new one or not you ask - we carry a list with a short description of each penny with us when we go on vacation. :thumbsup2

noahsmom
05-04-2006, 03:42 PM
On our last WDW/Cruise trip (2004) DS became a rabid pressed penney collector. We were very disappointed that DCL didn't have any. When we went to the silent auction there was a beautifully framed set of DCL pressed pennies and quarters! We asked a CM about it and she told us that they briefly had the machines but took them out because DCL is a "no cash" experience so the machines went against that. She also told us that the set on display was the last one they had. Because of this (and I don't know if it really was the last set) we spent a ridiculous amount of money to win the set in the silent auction.

It looks very nice hanging on our "Disney" wall.

AdventureGuru
05-04-2006, 05:53 PM
We have a printers box...the old boxes that they used to keep the letters in for a press and that is where we keep our pennies... we got them in 2004 and will probably do them again...

Do they have a penny machine at Naussa's port??? Now when ever we go somewhere and see the machines we get one...

bevtoy
05-04-2006, 08:20 PM
On our last WDW/Cruise trip (2004) DS became a rabid pressed penney collector. We were very disappointed that DCL didn't have any. When we went to the silent auction there was a beautifully framed set of DCL pressed pennies and quarters! We asked a CM about it and she told us that they briefly had the machines but took them out because DCL is a "no cash" experience so the machines went against that. She also told us that the set on display was the last one they had. Because of this (and I don't know if it really was the last set) we spent a ridiculous amount of money to win the set in the silent auction.

It looks very nice hanging on our "Disney" wall.
Wow thats pretty cool! You will probably never regret the investment.
I would love to know what image is pressed on them?

noahsmom
05-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I can tell you! There are 6 pressed quarters and 3 pressed pennies. The quarters are: Disney Cruise Line w/logo; Disney Magic; Disney Wonder; Castaway Cay with image of palm tree and sun; DCL logo with 2000 over it (the 000 in 2000 is mickey); and finally Sailor Mickey at the ships wheel.

The pennies are: Disney Cruise Line with logo; Castaway Cay (like the quarter) and Disney Magic.

They are mouned and matted with black matt, the oval cutouts are edged in white. There is a small plaque that reads: Disney Cruise Line Nine Limited Edition Quarter and Penny Presses.

jrabbit
05-05-2006, 11:36 AM
We have a printers box...the old boxes that they used to keep the letters in for a press ...It's actually called a typesetters case - my school had a class where we got to work with setting the type and using the platten presses to create "documents".

Why are capital letters called "Upper Case" :Confused: Because for a font style there were two "drawers" - the Upper case held the capital letters and the Lower Case held the "non capital" letters :)

Regardless - it sounds like a great place to store your smashed pennies

Mmketeer
05-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Hi,

Yes, it is a bit dissapointing that DCL no longer offers the penny pressing machines (I have collected many myself, even some quarter ones from the Disneyanna conventions). DCL could put one in the terminal in my opinion. But, do bring some with you as maybe you'll want to expand your collection to other things like other countries. I personally just got one in Grand Cayman when we sailed there in December. :) I haven't seen any in Nassau though? Maybe more people will postt where they have spotted them though.

Grand Cayman- Pressed Penny- Yes!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10714;128/st/20061203/e/Family+X-Mas+DCL+cruise/k/c660/event.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/)

MSWint
05-09-2006, 08:53 AM
Also, If I remember correctly, Cozumel has pressed penny machines, but I do not remember seeing them in Costa Maya ... maybe they have them now.

Can anyone else comment on the other ports?

zealandsmom
02-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Bumping to say I found the post....No such luck in the past 6 years??