PDA

View Full Version : Windsor Hills

avcchichester
05-02-2006, 10:26 PM
has anyone here stayed at Windsor Hills Resort?? This will be our second time to Disney. 3 Years ago we stayed at the Courtyard in downtown disney, and it was very exciting. We could see the fireworks and had bus service to the parks. This time we have decided to rent a home in Windsor Hills, and we are coming next Spring. We are wondering how far is it to the parks??? Can you see the fireworks from there??? and how easy is it to drive to the parks and find parking, and how far is it to DTD??? If anyone has stayed here could you please give us some advise????? I hope we have made the right choice.

jennobrn01
05-03-2006, 02:14 AM
There is a Windsor Hills fan club over on the TGM website. They have great info and tips. We have booked there for Nov.!

For travel times; I have read about 10 minutes from the Windsor Hills parking lot to the MK parking lot. Then factor in the time to actually get inside the park.

AK is the closest at about 10 minutes from parking lot to inside park.

Windsor Hills is located at the Sherbeth Road entrance to WDW. That can make for less driving time especially in the off season.

The times mentioned above were from people who stayed in Feb/March of this year.

Here is an awesome map (http://www.orlandovillas.com/Map.aspx) to give you a visual of where WH is in relation to WDW. We are number 71! :thumbsup2

zara
05-03-2006, 04:21 AM
Can you tell me what TGM stands for please?????

djkeenan
05-03-2006, 04:54 AM
TGM = Tour Gide Mike, aka www.tourguidemike.com Want to get your money's worth on your next trip to WDW? Then spend $20 to join TGM's site.

PS: you can't go wrong staying at Windsor Hills. Fantastic facilities, very close to the parks, and being in a home rather than a hotel room will spoil you for life!

tinkerbell6
05-04-2006, 04:40 PM
Windsor Hills is great...you won't regret staying there! So close to the parks, shopping, etc. As for fireworks, I don't think you can see them from WH, but I'm not entirely sure. It possibly depends on where in the community you're staying, but we couldn't see them from where we were (a townhouse).

We'd definitely stay in WH again, and next time we'd make better use of the great facilities!

traciedee
05-05-2006, 11:30 PM
There is a great thread on tripadvisor about Windsor Hills by Cakelady. She has posted a lot of great WH info and says it is very close to the parks.

famofsix
05-07-2006, 04:17 PM
:cool1: just got back from WH last week and I wish I was still there! It was great and we found it to be clean, affordable, friendly with many kid friendly amenities. It seemed like a good place even if you did not have kids. It is very close to the parks and we had no trouble finding it or getting around!
The owner said you could see the fireworks but we don't know because we were at the parks or getting the kids to bed. I heard them once but when I went outside on the porch I did not see them but that's not to say one couldn't it just was not my reality.
:goodvibes We were skeptical at first because we never tried a condo before. With our big family we could not afford Disney but I highly recommend WH. You won't be disappointed. We got reasured here at the DIS and I want to do the same foryou. Our condo looked exactly like the pictures we rented from and was even nicer than we expected. :banana:
BTW, we even stayed at the condo our last day because it was so nice there! :love:

lilherm
05-07-2006, 08:19 PM
We will be staying at Windsor Hills in a condo in four weeks. I am glad to hear you had a great time. We are very excited and can't wait. How was the pool? Was the waterslide open?

zara
05-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Can you tell me if there is a bus from Windsor Hills to the Parks??

famofsix
05-08-2006, 01:17 PM
:thumbsup2 Hi everyone! I did not see a bus that went to the parks but I was not really looking either :confused3 We rented a van from dollar rental which we picked up at the Tampa airport.
The pool was great and the water slide was open when the attendant was on duty. Once we had to wait about 30 minutes for the attendant but most of the time someone was there. Kids and adults were using the water slide. It was funny seeing grown men going up and down trying to see who could make the biggest splash. :rotfl: The hot tub was being repaired at the end of April so we did not use it. It was pretty small (hot tub) so that was OK with us.
Overall. it is a clean and well managed place. You do need a security card from the front office (the one advertising sales) to get into the pool area and game room/fitness center. It costs 6 dollars and you get your six dollars back when you return the security card.
Hope that helps, Have a great vacation! :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc
FYI...the pool was not very deep (under 6 feet) and in most places around 4-5 ft deep. It was a graded pool so in some places it was shallow and in other places it was deeper. Nonetheless we had fun and it did not seem to bother anyone.

robinb
05-08-2006, 01:41 PM
We came thisclose to booking at Windsor Hills for our summer vacation with my extended family. We dragged our feet about picking a date and then the free dining came out and we're at POP Century instead.

These people were my personal favorites because each room could be configured with a King bed or two twins:
http://www.romancingthemouse.com/index.html

akfan
05-08-2006, 02:19 PM
We recently spent two weeks in Windsor Hills. It was my first time renting a house, and I was a bit nervous about the whole thing. When we agreed to rent the house, I specifically asked the owner if there was any construction in the area, and was told "no." Unfortunately, there was construction just beyond the backyard! On most days, it wasn't a bit deal since we were at WDW all day anyway, but there were a few days when the construction trucks were going at 7:15 am!! And the guys working on them were shouting at one another at the top of their lungs. I could have done without that. The house that we rented was on Comrow. The other areas in Windsor Hills didn't seem to have the same problem. I was surprised at the lack of cleanliness in the house, and the "quality" of the house itself, but I would probably stay in WH again - just not that house!

jennobrn01
05-08-2006, 06:24 PM
robinb,

we really liked that rental too! we are staying at WH in Nov.... I am excited! :thumbsup2

Thanks everyone for your reviews!

mcrockett1220
05-08-2006, 10:20 PM
We just got back Saturday after staying in WH for 8 days. We had a 4 bedroom house on Basnett Circle. It was great. Very clean, spacious (we had 10 people), its own pool (also very clean) and almost everything you could want. Also very good security measures. We booked through Global and got a good deal. The kids loved the playground and with our own pool, we never used the community pool. There is also a little shop at the entrance to the community with most things you would run to the convenience store for. Cooking in most evenings saved a lot of money, several grocery stores nearby (I recommend Publix or Superwalmart), we bought a grill at walmart for $10. Only about 10 minutes to the parks, and about 15 to downtown disney. Heard the fireworks one night but never looked to see them. Would most definitely stay again.

jennobrn01
05-08-2006, 11:00 PM
avcchichester,

thanks for your encouraging review! reading all these positive experiences has me so excited to go!

so there is a superwalmart nearby? great! do you remember approx. how long it took you to get there? (anal me) :rolleyes:

mcrockett1220
05-09-2006, 08:40 AM
To get to the Superwalmart it took about 15 minutes, and when we went it was pretty heavy traffic. Not as busy as the Superwalmart near my hometown. Be careful though about your chicken, we got chicken dated for over 1 week after our purchase date, and when we opened it, it smelled horrible. Of course that could happen anywhere. Other than that everything was fine.

jennobrn01
05-09-2006, 09:50 AM
thanks for your reply! 15 minutes is great! and bleh about that chicken! :faint:

mumzie2three
05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
We just got back on Tues form Windsor Hills and overall it was good. I originally tried to book through owners but they didn't have my dates available. They just happened to be agents for Palm Tree Vacation Homes (AKA Picket Fence Realty) and assured me I could get a unit in the same building and the same floor as their unit. WRONG! I thought we were getting a 3br/2ba condo in building 8, 1st floor to be near the pool, (otherwise I would've gone with a pool home since it's way to hot this time of year to walk to their pool). We were given building 5, 3rd floor and had to be told over the phone by someone at Palm Tree how to get to the pool. (There are only 2 buildings that can be considered poolside there; 7 and 8.) So I complained and we were moved to building 7, 2nd floor but I would stay there again (in a pool home) if I booked through an owner.
The main pool is shallow and it gets very warm, think bath water. Plus you need a key card from the management/sales office to access the pool and fitness center. The store onsite didn't carry salsa, so my DH was bummed about that. If you buy a newspaper, buy it from the machines and not in a store because they charge you tax. We didn't encounter any traffic problems except some of the red lights seem really long, but maybe we were just impatient. Lots of places to eat up and down 192. We thought Perkins had the best breakfast and good pie too. The Publix took a while to find and was PACKED went we went. Bring trashbags!!! They are strict about putting out the trash, especially in the homes because they only pick up on certain days. At the condos they did every day but Sun and holidays.
The second unit we were moved to had more ammenities than the first. Glad we were moved. We did hear some construction for a couple of days towards the end of our stay, but couldn't see where it was coming from. Of course this was our first foray from a hotel and we have nothing else to compare it to. As accomodations go, it was worth what we paid ($85 a night). :hippie:

horseshowmom
05-13-2006, 06:41 PM
We came thisclose to booking at Windsor Hills for our summer vacation with my extended family. We dragged our feet about picking a date and then the free dining came out and we're at POP Century instead.

These people were my personal favorites because each room could be configured with a King bed or two twins:
http://www.romancingthemouse.com/index.html

I just looked at this site, and the 6 BR house looks like it might be a good choice for our December trip. I particularly like that the rate they show you is all inclusive.

My main question is about the difference in Windsor Hills and Windsor Palms. The 6 BR house is in Windsor Palms, but it seems like most of the good reviews I've read were about Windsor Hills.

Has anybody looked at both of them, and are they really comparable?

robinb
05-14-2006, 09:25 AM
My main question is about the difference in Windsor Hills and Windsor Palms. The 6 BR house is in Windsor Palms, but it seems like most of the good reviews I've read were about Windsor Hills.

Has anybody looked at both of them, and are they really comparable?

I only know about the research that I did when I was looking at pool homes. I've heard that Windsor Palms is very, very nice and just up the road from Windsor Hills. The main difference that I saw was that Windsor Hills has a water slide in the main pool and Windsor Palms does not. Windsor Hills is also a bit newer. I believe they are still building there while Widsor Palms has been around for a couple of years.

horseshowmom
05-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I only know about the research that I did when I was looking at pool homes. I've heard that Windsor Palms is very, very nice and just up the road from Windsor Hills. The main difference that I saw was that Windsor Hills has a water slide in the main pool and Windsor Palms does not. Windsor Hills is also a bit newer. I believe they are still building there while Widsor Palms has been around for a couple of years.

Thanks for the info. While the pool slide would be nice, you never know about the weather in December for sure, so it might not matter anyway.

Do you know whether WP has the movie theater like WH does? Again, we'll probably be so busy it won't matter, but we'll have a 19, 18, and 13 year old with us, and they might like to go if they have some free time on their hands.

That 6 BR looks really nice, and it sounds like it will be pretty close. We normally wait until a few weeks ahead to get a reduced rate (and may do it again this time), but we've got another family traveling with us this time, so that makes me more worried about having great accomodations, if you KWIM!

BonnieA
05-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I have stayed at both. Windsor Palms in a condo, Windsor Hills in a townhome. I'd say they were comparable with each other. Windsor Palms is just a little older. I did enjoy the pool at Windsor Palms more because it was not as warm. Windsor Hills pool was very warm, not enjoyable to cool off in.

momofdbsdc
05-14-2006, 12:13 PM
We just returned from WH this morning! I wish I was still there! It is cool here today! :rolleyes: The place is awesome. It took us no longer than 10 minutes to get to the MK parking lot! Universal was 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic. The location and facilities were awesome!!!

We also shopped at Publix and Super Walmart. Walmart had bettre prices, but Publix wasn't bad.

The owners of the 3 bedroom condo were wonderful and the condo is exactly as it looked in pictures annd very clean!!!!

www.rent-vistacay.com

I hope this helps someone a little!

Kim
momofdbsdca

robinb
05-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Do you know whether WP has the movie theater like WH does? Again, we'll probably be so busy it won't matter, but we'll have a 19, 18, and 13 year old with us, and they might like to go if they have some free time on their hands.

This is a description from one of the rental companies:
http://www.villadirect.com/nvd_location.php?devID=WINDSOR

It does have a cinema :).

caribbound
05-15-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm setting up a rental agreement with an owner, VRBO # 65501. They have not given me any phone number even though I've asked and only check their email at most once/week (I request receipts sometimes). So it's taken a month to get to this point, and I'm a little concerned whether this is normal practice. I can imagine that this couple may be older and less computer savvy so not online often. Here is their email:

we have a management company global but they charge much more to cover their costs..we keep our costs as low as possible by using email as confirmation, and accepting personal cheque in dollars to uk address or bank transfer to wachovia, pls let us know which you prefer...the 20% deposit is non refundable unless we can relet your dates

What would my safest route be do you think? Is there a risk of getting down there and finding another family already there (double booked)? Am I just paranoid dealing with real people and no contracts. We're traveling in low season so I don't doubt we could sweat it out online for a night in a hotel and find a place, or priceline or skyauction last minute, literally, for Vistana or similar.

We like this home and it's agreat price, obviously booked in advance so others like it also unless the owners stay there much of the time. Maybe that's why they're not online, too much fun vacationing! :smooth:
Ihope you can put my mind at ease or direct me the right way to protect myself. Thanks. I'll check out TGM site also.

robinb
05-15-2006, 09:02 AM
What would my safest route be do you think? Is there a risk of getting down there and finding another family already there (double booked)? Am I just paranoid dealing with real people and no contracts. We're traveling in low season so I don't doubt we could sweat it out online for a night in a hotel and find a place, or priceline or skyauction last minute, literally, for Vistana or similar.

I think there is always a small risk that something will happen when you rent from an individual. I looked at the Listing and it looked really nice and the comments from the previous renters were both quite positive. You may have hit the nail on the head with your comment about the owners not being Internet savvy as the house does not have wireless internet access (as per one of the comments). The other thing is that Windsor Hills is a new development and it looks like the house was built in 2005. I bet the owners are still learning the ropes.

I think you'll be fine, but if you are not comfortable with the owners or the process, then I think you should back out. There are many, many, many villas available and if you are going at a low time you may be able to snag a last-minute bargain.

horseshowmom
05-15-2006, 09:02 AM
This is a description from one of the rental companies:
http://www.villadirect.com/nvd_location.php?devID=WINDSOR

It does have a cinema :).

Thanks!

akfan
05-15-2006, 11:06 AM
We returned recently from a pool home at WH. We had mixed messages about when the garbage would be picked up, but it was picked up every day except Sunday.

traciedee
05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
akfan, how did you like windsor Hills?

Brian Noble
05-15-2006, 08:26 PM
There is a Windsor Hills fan club over on the TGM website.
Founder and president, here!

We loved our townhome there. Excellent location. I would not put more than 6 people in a townhome, even though most could sleep 8, because the public spaces are on the small side. We actually never made it to the main pool; mostly we were in the parks, and the plunge pool was enough for my kids to dip in and out of.

One word of warning: our owner mentioned that they (and several others) planned to raise rates in '07 by about 15%. They had priced it low because the development is new to attract attention, and to offset the hassle of continued build-out of the development (which, frankly, we never noticed). Based on what I paid, I agree with them--it was a fabulous deal compared to other offerings around that section of 192 for the amenities offered.

Many owners will discount rates a bit for repeat renters, so if you are thinking about trying WH, I'd recommend doing so sooner rather than later, before many owners start increasing their rates.

isla bonita
05-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Have never stayed in WH but it is in a great location very close to the parks and also shopping and restaurants.

akfan
05-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Traciedee,

Overall, I liked WH. We had never rented a home before, and I would probably do it again. The proximity to the parks was a real perk. We had a bit of a problem with the house, but WH seemed great.

beachgrl001
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
We are renting a TH at windsor hills in sept. I can't wait :woohoo: We are renting directly from the owners and they are a super nice couple from the uk.I never rented directly before and was a bit skeptical but he was REALLY helpful and explained everything! They even offered to buy a stroller(any kind we wanted) for us to use!!! how nice is that? I will be sure and let everyone know how our stay goes.
ps. momofdbsdc; I also have a Dakota 9/27/04 :cool1: