PDA

View Full Version : DCL transfer??

jiminyC_fan
05-02-2006, 02:53 PM
We normally rent a car after our cruises and go to DTD but this time our flight back home is 11:40am. We are thinking about getting transfers to MCO after the cruise. I remember some threads here a while ago about checking in luggage at the port with some airlines. Do they still do that? We are flying American Airlines. I know that we are cutting it pretty close. Do you think a towncar might be the way to go instead of DCL transfers?

Help! :confused3 I just don't know what would be the fastest.

LuvEeyore
05-02-2006, 09:16 PM
We could have made that early of a flight going home in December 4, 2005 however it was a Thursday. Several previous posters though could not. Do you have 1st seating for dinner. If so you will go to breakfast early. If you try this make sure you have insurance and that you get off the ship as early as it clears.

mmouse37
05-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi Sandy....

You could probably take the DCL buses (and yes American is one of the airlines you can check in at the port with)...just get off the ship early and get to the airline checkin lines...they are right by the buses. The DCL buses usually wait to fill up before they take off for the airport. One way transfers are $30 pp to the airport.

I have seen the lines at the airline checkin at the port get very long, so if you do it this way make sure you get off the ship ASAP (have breakfast in Topsiders instead of dining room!).

IF you go with a towncar instead of DCL buses then you cannot use the port airline checkin.

MJ

lorrainesy
05-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I love the DCL transfer, very easy

KrisannB
05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
One thing to note though you must be off the ship and do curbside port check in you must do it by 8 am if your flight is before 12:30 - and as stated in another post you must use the transfers to use curbside check-in at the port.

jiminyC_fan
05-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks everyone. We only did it once a few years ago and didn't do the curbside check in. I am just a little nervous about it this time. I still wonder if a towncar would be faster being they wait for the DCL bus to fill up PLUS the wait to check in the luggage.

:wave2: Hi MJ!! We have never done Topsiders on the day we disembark. What time do they open?

kcashner
05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
You will probably save significant time using curbside check in VS. standing in the luggage check line at MCO. We were in that line for over an hour the last time we flew a "non-participating" airline. In September, we were on Delta...port luggage check took all of about 2 minutes.

HokieCruis'n
05-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Hello, I actually have another question regarding transfers. We are cruising this Saturday(first time) and have paid for the DCL transfers. What time does the first bus leave and is it just first come first serve? Thanks! -Nichole

jiminyC_fan
05-04-2006, 07:36 AM
You will probably save significant time using curbside check in VS. standing in the luggage check line at MCO. We were in that line for over an hour the last time we flew a "non-participating" airline. In September, we were on Delta...port luggage check took all of about 2 minutes.
Great, thanks! I feel much better now!

jiminyC_fan
05-04-2006, 07:38 AM
Hello, I actually have another question regarding transfers. We are cruising this Saturday(first time) and have paid for the DCL transfers. What time does the first bus leave and is it just first come first serve? Thanks! -Nichole
Nichole, I do know for sure that it is first come first serve on the bus and that it is ther waiting for you when you get off the ship. I do know that there are several busses waiting, also.

cristit14
05-04-2006, 07:57 AM
Hi Sandy,
I would probably make sure you got off of the ship early if you are using curbside check in. We did that on our first cruise and probably waited for 45 minutes in the airline check in line. Now, our flight wasn't until 2pm so we waited until the last possible minute to get off the ship. We have done Topsiders both time we cruised for our last breakfast (and most of the other breakfasts too). They do have some hot items on the buffet that last morning too. About the only thing that they didn't have was the made to order omlette.

jiminyC_fan
05-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Hi Cristi, what time does Topsiders open the day of disembarking? We always do the sit down breakfast on the last day. Always rent a car after. Always have an evening flight. So...... I am stressing right about now. The airlines keep pushing back the time. We always fly Frontier and never really have to wait for a check in but I am running afraid of American Airlines. Sheez, this is our 6th cruise. You would think I wouldn't be so nervous.

cristit14
05-04-2006, 11:43 AM
Sandy, I am not sure what time they open the last day. We never went really early. We went down a little after 8 both cruises. I would think they would open pretty early though. I was looking at the old navigators and on the other days they opened anywhere from 630-730. It didn't say anything about the last day though.

jiminyC_fan
05-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Thanks Cristi!

goscudder
05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
We just got off the Wonder yesterday and Beach Blanket Buffet opened at 6:30am. We were off the ship shortly after 8am and there was no wait anywhere. We checked our luggage in at the airline check-in (Northwest) and were leaving the port in a DCL by 8:30am. I was so surprised how quick and efficient the whole process was. Our DCL bus had to take a detour to MCO because the highway was shutdown because of brushfires, and we were still at MCO by 9:30am. Our flight didn't leave until 1:30pm, but we easily could have made the 11:30 flight.

jiminyC_fan
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
We just got off the Wonder yesterday and Beach Blanket Buffet opened at 6:30am. We were off the ship shortly after 8am and there was no wait anywhere. We checked our luggage in at the airline check-in (Northwest) and were leaving the port in a DCL by 8:30am. I was so surprised how quick and efficient the whole process was. Our DCL bus had to take a detour to MCO because the highway was shutdown because of brushfires, and we were still at MCO by 9:30am. Our flight didn't leave until 1:30pm, but we easily could have made the 11:30 flight.

You don't realize how much you have set my mind at ease. I feel very comfortable taking the DCL bus. Thanks for taking the time to post!!