PDA

View Full Version : Kids club...how does it work exactly?

Stepharoonie!
05-02-2006, 02:03 PM
If there's already a thread about this somewhere, please just point me in the right direction....

However, how does it work? Is it a first come, first serve basis? Does it cost anything additional from the cruising price? Would a five year old like it?

We're looking to cruise at the end of the year...wondering how Maddy would like the club...

THANKS! :) :thumbsup2

teriandcb
05-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi! Welcome. The kids clubs are included in the price of the cruise for all kids older than 3. There is a nursery for younger kids but it is at an additional cost. The kids are divided up into age groups--3 to 4, 5 to 7, etc. The club for the 3 to 7 year olds has a "ship" in it and they do all kinds of fun activities including visits from some of the characters. They give you a schedule of activities when you sign them up onboard the first day. They also give you a pager so that you can be reached if your child needs you. My kids have been on 5 previous DCL cruises and have always loved the kids clubs. My youngest DD was 6 yo the first time we went. How much your child enjoys the clubs probably depends a lot on her personality but I'd definately encourage her to try it out---she'll probably have a great time and make new friends. I'm a pediatrician and have always felt comfortable leaving my kids in the clubs. All of the counselors that my kids have had have been great. Have fun!

Downrivermama
05-02-2006, 03:08 PM
My dd7 at the time loved the club. She even ditched me! :rotfl2: My dd is very outgoing and social so she just gets right in there. Look at some of the navagators posted here to give you an idea of the activities. I felt fine leaving my dd, the security is great. When your time to reserve on line comes, just register your dd and then either pick up your pager at the port or the club.

crisi
05-02-2006, 03:23 PM
They will even feed them, so if your kid wants to live in the club, you really only need to let them sleep in the stateroom....

In the club (the 3-7 year olds) in the evening they drag out mats and watch movies.

Adults are allowed in the club, but they don't tend to hang out there.

KimberlyC
05-02-2006, 03:29 PM
The only thing not mentioned is that the clubs are for ages 3 and up AND potty trained. You didn't mention your kids' ages but just in case it applies to you, I thought I'd mention it. Kids under 3 and non-PT kids can go to Flounders but, as mentioned there is a cost and you have to schedule times which do fill up from what I've been told.

we4blairs
05-02-2006, 04:01 PM
My DS 6 loved the club; however my DS 11 did not. He didn't like that it was structured and that he had to do what they were doing. DS 6 begged to go there all the time.

The first night we got back to the room and he said, "Mom, I am just going to close my eyes for a minute. Then I want to go back to the club."
...of course, that never happened - he snoozed all night!

scottishwee35
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
Club - :thumbsup2

As my children Keith 9 and Olivia 6 loved it very much. Worst, my boy, I cannot take him out of the club as he won't come with us for meals, show and pirate. He stayed there all day and loved it very much!!

He was crying in the morning we left Disney Wonder Cruise as I know he had a good times at the Club. oh, he made me lump in my throat.

:thumbsup2 for club same as Olivia well she enjoyed herself.

Lots of things to do at the club, and Castaway Cay well.

Scottishwee35

Mom24Princesses
05-02-2006, 06:29 PM
All 4 DDs all loved their programs. (6, 8, 12, & 14 ) were in 4 different age groups and everything was very age appropriate.

DD6 stayed there a lot. If I had it to do over I'd let her skip some dinners. She did not eat anyway after the 3rd night.

WE'LL SAIL DCL again JUST FOR THE "FREE" KID PROGRAMS!!!

April 1-8, 2006 Magic Eastern

Stepharoonie!
05-02-2006, 07:16 PM
This sounds great. Do they fill up quickly, or are you guaranteed a spot when you purchase your cruise tickets? Someone in a post on this thread said you can sign up online...

Maddy is 5. She's starting kindergarten this fall. She is VERY outgoing :)

lbgraves
05-02-2006, 07:40 PM
They limit the number of kids in each age group that book the cruise in order to make sure that there is room for everyone once onboard. There have been VERY few times when the club has been at capacity...and it doesn't last very long.

Kimmielee
05-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Just returned from the Wonder last Thursday and my DS (6) ditched me too!!! He LOVED :love: everything about the club. In 4 days, I read 3 books.
He made friends, played his heart out and completely enjoyed the Celebrating the Journey ceremony at the end. :thumbsup2

arieltoo
05-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't worry, your child has a spot! Two thoughts from my DD, years old, she does better if she finds that one person she "clicks" with and then she enjoys groups more. She did not find that person on our trip so she was so-so about going and ready to leave when we came to get her. She and I found the club for her age group very dark, as in not enough light. Anyone else agree? The lab appeared brighter. Our other cruises were not Disney so not nearly as many children, she was quickly known by name and that was more comforting for her. My son in the labs, had to be draged out every night, and he only at dinner with us half the nights! Same genes, very different kids!

Trixiezzz
05-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Does being in the club mean staying indoors all day? Do they take them outside for any kind of exercise? Just wondering what to expect.

Kimmielee
05-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I was worried about this too. They do go out for sports on deck 10... I made sure that my DS (6) got fresh air by taking walks on deck 4 if we were moving from the club to say the theater.... and he swam 3 of the 4 days with me as well. :goodvibes

Downrivermama
05-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Kimmielee said Just returned from the Wonder last Thursday and my DS (6) ditched me too!!! He LOVED everything about the club. In 4 days, I read 3 books.

Isn't that the truth! My dd had the best time. The Celebrating the Journey is so cute. We have watched the video of it since we came home and she just loves to watch it. That and High School Musical! :rotfl:

crisi
05-03-2006, 08:33 AM
I was worried about this too. They do go out for sports on deck 10... I made sure that my DS (6) got fresh air by taking walks on deck 4 if we were moving from the club to say the theater.... and he swam 3 of the 4 days with me as well. :goodvibes

I don't think they take the little ones out too much. And they won't take the younger set near the water. The older ones do go to the sport deck and movies, and I think the oldest lab kids might get a swim party (the teens do).

Your best bet is to check recent navigators, though.

They move the kids clubs to Castaway Cay for the day when you dock there.