PDA

View Full Version : Nassau - Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter

MB MinnieGirl
05-02-2006, 02:17 PM
My DD6 and I are on the 4 day cruise Aug. 6th. She would love this excursion. Can anyone give me details that has done it previously?

The package I got from DCL yesterday says that it is about 5 - 7 hours long. Would we need to bring snacks/lunch/drinks, etc.? How much of the time on the excursion are you actually one on one with the dolphins? Any info and details would be greatly appreciated!

I am considering making this her surprise on the cruise so I'm really trying to find out if it is worth it and it's only a few more days before we are able to book our excursions. :woohoo:

We are already getting so excited! :cool1: :cool1:

~~~Kelly

mattmommy
05-02-2006, 02:28 PM
My friends dh went with their 2 ds's. Both teens who eat most anything and they thought the food was awful and possibly goat. I'd bring some sandwiches/chicken fingers from the boat. I can't imagine they wouldn't serve something simple like burgers/dogs for tourists.

MB MinnieGirl
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
My friends dh went with their 2 ds's. Both teens who eat most anything and they thought the food was awful and possibly goat. I'd bring some sandwiches/chicken fingers from the boat. I can't imagine they wouldn't serve something simple like burgers/dogs for tourists.

:eek: :eek:

I am SO glad I ask! DD is picky so I will be sure to take something for us BOTH! Goat.....GROSS!! Thanks for the heads up.

SuJo
05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
My family and I did this 2 years ago and loved it. I have two DDs who were 6 and 9 at the time of the cruise. You are taken over to an island on a ferry boat. The trip is nice and not too long. When you get to the island we headed directly over to the dolphin encounter which is not a long walk from the boat. You sit through a instructional part that talks about the dolphins and what you will be doing. They had openings in the swim with the dolphins and asked if anyone wanted to upgrade. Since my daughters were young we decided to stay with the encounter (but the swim looked really neat). You then go put on a dive suit and are pared into groups (usually around 8-12 people per-dolphin area). You walk down a pier to these U shaped areas. The families sit on the sides and the trainer is at the bottom of the U. She brings one family to the bottom of the U where you step down onto a platform. My youngest was about waist high in the water. The trainer then brings over the dolphin to meet your family. You start out with a family photo with the dolphin kissing one of your family members. We had picked my husband because my daughters were scared but the dolphin went ahead and kissed my oldest. She thought it was cool. We then took turns to pet, dance, kiss, and hug the dolphin (the trainer went up and down the line). We also got to touch its teeth. It was a wonderful experience and my DD's loved every minute. It did seem to go fast but I brought a water camera and took a lot of pictures. The Dolphin Encounter company also takes a video that you can buy with a bunch of pictures. I wasn't going to buy all that but when I looked at them as wasn't sure how my pictures came out, we bought them anyway. My DDs are always looking at those pictures. After it is over, you don't have to wait for the other families. You take off the dive suits, check out/buy your pictures, and then head back to the beach. You get a ticket for lunch which is either a hamburger or hotdog, fries, and a fruit punch. The food wasn't that great but edible. The beach was fun. There are two ferries back to the ship that you can pick from. We had a great time and really enjoyed this excursion.

Susan

GracieA7
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
You have to book Blue Lagoon on your own. You can visit their website. I believe the DCL excursion is through UNEXSO now. My DS4 and myself are doing the Blue Lagoon encounter and my DH is doing the swim later this month.

YFamily
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
What if you are like... um... big in the behind???

Do they make wet suits to fit the boo-tay challenged??

Thank you!
Mrs Y
VERY Boo-Tay challenged.

Vavasmon
05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
They had a very large number of wet suit sizes. I would not worry about that. When did Disney switch their encounter? We did Blue Lagoon Dec 30 but there was no longer any food/beach.

MB MinnieGirl
05-02-2006, 05:51 PM
You have to book Blue Lagoon on your own. You can visit their website. I believe the DCL excursion is through UNEXSO now. My DS4 and myself are doing the Blue Lagoon encounter and my DH is doing the swim later this month.

:confused3 I am so confused....the papers we just got yesterday from DCL listed this as a possible excusrion for us to book in few days when it opens for CC members. Is a different one listed on the website? Does anyone have experience with that one if it's different?

Sujo - THANK YOU! :thumbsup2 Your post was so helpful! I bet you have never regreted the $$ you spent on the photos etc! That is something your DD's will remember forever.

Vavasmon - If you did this in Dec. can you tell me what you did for food/snacks/lunch and what did you do while others were with the dolphins if there was no beach option?

Thanks for all help! :wave2:
~~~Kelly

Enna
05-02-2006, 05:57 PM
What if you are like... um... big in the behind???

Do they make wet suits to fit the boo-tay challenged??

Thank you!
Mrs Y
VERY Boo-Tay challenged.

If you're going when the weather is warm, the wetsuits are optional. You can just wear your regular swimsuit and you'll do just fine. Heck, you can even be the one kneeling in the water during the "dolphin smooch picture" so the bootay is obscured from view. :thumbsup2

Vavasmon
05-02-2006, 06:21 PM
MB MinnieGirl - DCL offers a dolphin encounter excursion. Many people book directly with the company so they can do the dolphin swim. In Dec. DCL was still using the Dolphin Encounters on Blue Lagoon for their excursion. According to GracieA7, Disney now uses UNEXSO as their vendor. If this true, it would be affecting the timing since I think UNEXSO is located on Grand Bahama and Nassau is on New Providence.

We did the swim (through the company) so we were in the water the whole time. Other people from the Magic were doing the encounter at the same time (including the people seated at the next table in the dining room) - they seemed to walk around the gift shop - watch the dolphins in the front areas, etc. We ate a large breakfast before we left and were back on the ship around 2 - 2:30 pm for a late lunch. We didn't snack per say. I did buy the 6 pack of water in the softside cooler to drink on the way back to the ship. Serveral people were eating granola bars on the way back to the Wonder.

It was a very memorable expericence that I highly recommend to anyone.

This is from my TR: Day 2: 12/30 – Nassau

We watched the ship dock from our veranda. We had breakfast at Beach Blanket sitting inside this time. I had booked the Dolphin Swim directly with the Dolphin Encounter Company. They had emphasized being at their pier no later than 10am so I was worried about getting there. Let me tell you it should have been – no worries. We were among the first the first off the ship and quickly found a taxi van. He quoted $4 per person min 5 people. I wanted to go – remember I am worried about time – so I agreed to pay the $20 plus there is a $1 toll. We arrived at the pier in plenty of time. Checked in and waited.

We boarded the dolphin encounter ferry which already had people from the Disney Wonder doing the Dolphin Encounter excursion. I can tell you we have lifetime memories for this activity. We danced, petted, kissed, hugged, rubbed, and fed the dolphins while in the water. Each family became a “goal post” for the dolphin to jump from the rear. The swim ended with a push across the Lagoon from the dolphin. I purchased the video and a picture of DD being kissed. The ferry going back stopped at both the Paradise Island pier and the cruise ship pier so we did not need a taxi back. We reboarded the ship and had lunch on deck 9 with Pinocchio’s Pizza.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/photopost/data/525/44117vakiss-thumb.jpg
Virginia gets a big Kiss - Dolphin Swim in Nassau

GracieA7
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
Here's a link to the thread where they are talking about Disney having a 'new' dolphin encounter.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=946648&highlight=nassau+dolphin

When I was booking mine a couple of months ago I called DCL and they told me that they were using a different company (would not reveal the name), but that it was not Blue Lagoon anymore. I'm trying to find the thread where I read that it was Unexso now. But since Vavasmom did the Blue Lagoon in December and DCL was using it I'm 'wonder'ing now if it's back. I'm confused!!! I'll continue to search through the threads...

GracieA7
05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I just got off the phone with a CM at DCL. They said that the excursion is at a facility with 16 bottlenose dolphins, which is what I found for Blue Lagoon when I googled it. So it SOUNDS like it is at Blue Lagoon again. They must have made a new arrangement with them since they were cancelling the excursion about 6 months ago (when I was planning).

I also looked at a map and Unexso seems to be too far away...I'm not real good with distance but it seems like a pretty long haul.

Sorry for the confusion :confused3

GracieA7
05-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I found a ferry service from Nassau to Grand Bahama and it takes 6 to 7 HOURS.

arieltoo
05-02-2006, 08:36 PM
I too went with my 6 year old daughter, in Jan. 2006. We had a delightful time. We would not trade the experience. We went to the Blue Lagoon. Here are my few thoughts. Wear comfortable shoes, not new flip flops--like my DD did. You walk from the ship thru the shopping "mall" to the ferry. Our ferry stopped to pick up people at another dock.

Snacks would be a good idea. They do have a snack bar, but is a bit over priced. When we were there, no longer a lunch or beach time. Because we were a group of two, our photo was just of the two of us, but we were in the water with two other Moms with one kid each. There are lockers to stow your things, on the dock where you are with the dolphins. I did not bring my regular camera, just the underwater, wish I had, because there are great photo ops on the ferry and after the encounter, around the snack area. I wish I had asked the family sitting and waiting for their turn to take photos of us, I was really too close to my daughter to get some of the shots. Blue Lagoons video and photos were good quality, IMHO.

ENJOY!

mattmommy
05-02-2006, 11:24 PM
We're doing the dolphin encounter on the western. I've read mixed reviews, but since my ds5 is so young I don't need a whole ocean to swim in with him and dh. When I was on the fence a bit I saw some of the pictures of kids kissing the dolphin and I melted. It's worth every penny.

I'm also glad I don't have to shimmy my vertically challenged body into a wet suit. I'm almost had a stroke reading that.

SuJo
05-03-2006, 07:42 AM
We were there in May and the water was very chilly. That is why they gave us the wet suits. I am not a small person so if the suits could fit me, they will fit you. :thumbsup2 (I am almost 6' tall and have had two kids) It was very easy to get on even around my curves, so don't sweat it if you are going in cooler months. Also, all the pictures are taken when you are in waist deep water so it hides a lot ;) .

Susan

GracieA7
05-03-2006, 09:39 AM
We're going later this month - and my husband is a pretty big guy - 6'4". I'm not going to tell him about the wet suit ;)

Indea88
05-03-2006, 10:33 AM
This was a priceless memory!! And please do purchase the pics that they offer if you can, they are incredible, wonderful quality. They have a full size operational photo lab where a huge amount of their income comes from. The pics were truely a once in a lifetime shot of my 11 year old.
I am really glad I didn't throw in the towel on this excursion... I made the mistake of booking through suretrips.com for the "Dolhp :cloud9: in Swim" for my DS. The swim wasnt offered from DCL only the encounter. That was my error, I should have just booked the encounter with Disney. We'll we arrived by taxi in Nassau, took the ferry to the Blue Lagoon. stood in line, presented my vouchers for the Dolphin Swim and was told that my DS couldnt participate because he was under 13. I had only paid the 130.00 dollars for him to swim, I was to pay 20.00 as an observer. We'll to make a long story short shoretrips would not refund the money, he couldnt do the swim, they stated that in the fine print it says no one under 13 on the swim. I booked online and never viewed that info!! At the last minute before the ferry was leaving the management of the Blue Lagoon allowed my son and I to experience the encounter, which was just as memorable. I didn't get into the wet suit, I observed and took pics. My DS donned the wetsuit and had the experience of a lifetime!! Lessoned learned, next time this excursion will be booked with Disney!! Don't miss it! Enjoy and take tons of pics!!!

PrincessTay
05-03-2006, 06:26 PM
SuJo:
My family is going on this excursion and I was wondering about purchasing the video/pictures from the company. Could you please tell me about how much they were? Thanks so much!

agraygirl
05-03-2006, 07:36 PM
Where do you keep your wallet/dry clothes while in teh water with the dolphins?!

Vavasmon
05-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Where do you keep your wallet/dry clothes while in teh water with the dolphins?!
They have a free locker you can use for valuables - we left clothes in a totebag by the lockers which are located in the education area.

I don't remembr what the photo cost. The video was about $50 - they take major credit cards and US currency. The photo quality was very good - the video has a lead in that is canned - all about blue lagoon and then your group's experience - we love to watch it and remember the fun we had.

churchlady
05-04-2006, 07:30 AM
We did this last April and it was the highlight of our Cruise. We booked directly through Shoretrips and saved a substantial amount of money for our family of 5. We purchased the pictures as well as the video tape. Our family picture became this years' Xmas card. We did the encounter, not the swim. One lady in our group chose not to use a wet suit and she froze! We packed hotdogs, etc. from the ship and brought it with us. Enjoy!!

SuJo
05-04-2006, 08:56 AM
PrincessTay - Sorry I don't remember the costs of everything as it was over 2 years ago but I do remember it was high for a video but definitely worth it. Pictures are great but having the video helps you re-experience the whole thing again. I was glad I splurged and bought the entire package (photos and video).

SuJo