PDA

View Full Version : carribean liquor prices

ganurse
05-02-2006, 12:15 AM
I know Grand Cayman has the best prices, but does anyone know if a website that may have the prices, or stores?

webray
05-02-2006, 05:51 AM
Unless the rules have changed the shops in grand cayman won't sell liqour to people on the disney ship. The only place that did was a very small store right near the top of the dock and you had to wait for customs right there, we found out too late.

ganurse
05-02-2006, 06:01 AM
thanks for letting us know,,do the disney ships sell it on board?
just curious

webray
05-02-2006, 07:45 AM
thanks for letting us know,,do the disney ships sell it on board?
just curious

A very limited amount, but yes, there are some of the rums on board.

DCL Repeaters
05-02-2006, 08:40 AM
The Disney ships do sell liquor on board. On the Disney Magic, we received a liquor list with prices in our stateroom on embarkation day. You are allowed 1 bottle per passenger and the liquor is delivered the last day of your cruise. We thought the prices on the ship for what we were looking for was pretty good.

married2grumpy
05-02-2006, 08:58 AM
At which port on the Western cruise would we get the best liquor prices? We didn't get any alcohol during our Eastern cruise last spring and wished we would have. This trip we plan on picking up a couple bottles to make some nice drinks this summer. I'm just not sure who/where would be the best place to buy it.

Thanks!

Euphscott
05-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Cozumel is a good location for reasonable liquor prices - most notably the Kahlua and Tequilas.

gatour
05-02-2006, 01:25 PM
For cost savings figure 40% to 50% under stateside prices. I have enough rum to last me for a few years, so for the last couple of cruises I have been bringing back Crown Royal for my coworkers, they think the prices are great.

MrsMork
05-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I guess it depends on where you live. We have found Costco in Redding, CA to be comparable (within a few dollars) in prices to what we found in the Caribbean, and we don't have to lug it back on a plane. We now stop in there whenever we drive south to DL. Now the prices on the ship and in the Caribbean beat Oregon prices by ALOT!!

callisa
05-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I remember the ship having really good deals on liquor, with a special of the day that was especially good. I was under the impression that I could only bring one bottle home, but that's just what you can bring home duty-free. I think I bought 2-3 bottles -- I just had to go down to customs the morning we got back to FL, and they calculated the duty to be, like 40 cents or something, so they just let me go without paying anything.

Lisa

lUVTOGO
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
You couldn't purchase liquor in Grand Cayman but found the prices to be good in Cozumel. We bought Kahlua and Tequila and rum. The best prices are on the Eastern in St. Marteen.

ganurse
05-03-2006, 08:54 AM
bumppppppp

We Love Tinkerbell
05-03-2006, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know what the duty prices are per bottle. We are trying to decide if it is worth buying extra (above the one bottle per person limit). Also, is it a big hassle to go down early on the last day and pay the duty (ie long lines etc...)?

Thanks for the help

lorrainesy
05-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Unless the rules have changed the shops in grand cayman won't sell liqour to people on the disney ship. The only place that did was a very small store right near the top of the dock and you had to wait for customs right there, we found out too late.

Is this true???? I got great rum in Grand Gayman when I sailed on RCCL and was planning on getting it agan when I sail on Disney :confused3

MSWint
05-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Is this true???? I got great rum in Grand Gayman when I sailed on RCCL and was planning on getting it agan when I sail on Disney :confused3
Yes, it's true. They won't let you take it with you (at least the duty free shops won't), and they won't deliver it to DCL, but I guess they do for other lines for some reason. :confused3

tvguy
05-03-2006, 10:08 PM
I guess it depends on where you live. We have found Costco in Redding, CA to be comparable (within a few dollars) in prices to what we found in the Caribbean, and we don't have to lug it back on a plane. We now stop in there whenever we drive south to DL. Now the prices on the ship and in the Caribbean beat Oregon prices by ALOT!!

I think where you live determines if Caribbean liquor is a bargain or not. Booze prices are pretty low here in California. Even more so at warehouse stores like Sams Club and Costco, or liquor warehouse stores like Liquor Barn or Beverages and More.

I lugged home a bottle of rum from our first cruise, only to find it selling here for only 10 cents more a bottle in the store. Frankly, even if the savings were greater, I don't think it's worth the hassle of lugging booze on the plane. Not big drinkers here either, since I still haven't finished that bottle of rum I brought back in 1983!!!

Canada has the highest prices for wine, beer or booze I've ever seen. Those 5 liter boxes of wine that sell for $7.99 at the grocery store here, are $38 in the provincial store in Saskatchewan.

gatour
05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Yea, you gotta love the taxes that the government imposes. I am not positive, but here in the South, they probably have higher alchohol taxes because it is considered a "sin". And here in Florida, if you order individual drinks there is a per drink tax. If you look closely at your receipt, it may list it as a seperate line, but not always.

Since, I almost always drive to my cruises, the logistics of getting the bottles home is easier. If I had to take it on an airplane, my coworkers would be going dry. :)

Disneybridein2k3
05-11-2006, 09:08 PM
What about for beer (or similar - like Smirnoff Twisted)? We were going to bring our drinks with us, but if I can buy them in St. Martin or St. Thomas, I will do that instead....

Also, a funny story --
We live just 45 min or so from Baltimore, MD. On our last Disney Cruise, DH and I bought a bottle of Godiva White Chocolate Liqueur from the onboard store. We hadn't seen it locally (never looked for it) and thought it would make a great gift for DH's mom who loves to drink and loves chocolate. When we got home, DH looked more closely at the bottle -- it said "bottled in Baltimore, MD" - our local store had it for $5 cheaper. Oh well!

gatour
05-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Related to that story. I live in Jacksonville FL, where Bacardi brings in their rum. Do we get cheaper than in San Juan, noooooo. :)