PDA

View Full Version : Got Palo for Last night - question on main dinning room....

moet7
05-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Hi

I was only able to get Palo for the last night of our cruise.

Our time is 6:00 to 8:00.

We have late seating, so I was hoping to be able to have dinner with my husband at Palo and then meet up with the rest of the family in the dinning room for our last meal together.

My question is, on the last night in the main dining rooms is the meal a special one? Meaning something great to eat?

I'm just wondering if I should try to change the time for our Palo once we get on board if the meal is something that will be really good.

If it's not a "special" meal food wise then I will keep the Palo and just have a salad while the rest of the family eats their dinner.

Thanks!

WDWLVR
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
The most special thing about the dinner last night is the big parade the servers do thanking you for the week. This is traditionally the night you give your tips out as well. I think you plan to do Palo followed by your regular dining is a good one. Let your serving team know you are doing Palo that night so if you are a little late for dinner they won't wait on you and also so they won't try and make sure you eat (since you will already be stuffed). Enjoy!

Poccio
05-01-2006, 10:14 AM
We just had dinner at Palo last week on the last night of our cruise. The only difference was we had early seating. We handed out our tips the night before.

We met up with our table mates later that night and they said the only thing we missed was a parade of the servers and it was Baked Alaskan night.
The meal at Palo is so much better than you would have gotten in the dining room so don't worry about that. It also didn't take the 2 hrs. Actually Palo was pretty empty when we got there (our reservation was 6:30).

I was worried we'd be missing something but it turns out we didn't! Enjoy!!!

lbgraves
05-01-2006, 10:19 AM
You can check out the menu for yourself from the FAQ thread on this forum. :) It is the Till We Meet Again dinner menu.

moet7
05-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all your replys! I think I will stick with our plan to do Palo and then meet the rest of the family for the main dining room, hey I can always find room for another dessert!!!

Rence
05-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Be aware that some folks skip dinner in the main dinning room as a way of stiffing the wait staff. They don't intend to tip so they skip the last meal as a way of avoiding the issue. The waiters are very much aware of this and you may see a 'concerned' look on their face when you mention that you won't be at dinner the last night.

The best way to handle this is to either tip them the night before. Or tell them the night before that you won't be at dinner on the last night because you are doing Palo, but you want to stop by when you get done there and Thank them for the great service they provided. This is a nice way of saying, "we really do have Palo reservations and we aren't going to stiff you on the tip, we'll be by later that night to express our appreciation".

MrsScooby
05-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Oh wow :thumbsup2 Now I understand why our servers seemed so anxious on our last night in the dining rooms. We had Palo on the last night of the cruise and when we told them they acted kinda funny. They offered us extra food (something they hadn't done before) and tried to get us to send DS8 and DD5 to dinner alone for the last night (promising us they would look after them). It was so weird. Now it makes sense though. We did drop off their tips on the last night, would never think of stiffing the wait staff.
We won't have that problem this time, now that I know :teeth:

moet7
05-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Be aware that some folks skip dinner in the main dinning room as a way of stiffing the wait staff. They don't intend to tip so they skip the last meal as a way of avoiding the issue. The waiters are very much aware of this and you may see a 'concerned' look on their face when you mention that you won't be at dinner the last night.

The best way to handle this is to either tip them the night before. Or tell them the night before that you won't be at dinner on the last night because you are doing Palo, but you want to stop by when you get done there and Thank them for the great service they provided. This is a nice way of saying, "we really do have Palo reservations and we aren't going to stiff you on the tip, we'll be by later that night to express our appreciation".

This answer has nothing to do with my question. We are eating at Palo AND then going to the dinning room with the rest of our family for the last night.

I just wanted to know if I was going to be missing a "great" meal.

I see no reason to tell the wait staff that we are eating at Palo when we will be there for our late seating as well. I have read on these boards that lots of people do this, I believe they call it "double dipping" meaning they have two dinners in one night!

I think your answer was a bit off topic :)

mattmommy
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't remember the last meal as really standing out. We did some "double dipping" on meals. Well I don't, but my dh and his buffet buddy had meals. BB's dw and I shared a dessert. We intended to just keep the lone teenager (who couldn't make it into Palo) company.

MrsScooby
05-01-2006, 06:59 PM
It's been 4 years since our last cruise, and while I can't remember anything I ate in the main dining rooms, I remember exactly what I ate at Palo's.
The point being, the food in Palo is memorable. The main dining room food is just good.
Also, you may find that while you intend to join everyone on that last night in the dining room, that when the time comes you may not want to for some reason. :)

Cinderelli
05-01-2006, 07:03 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, too, but I wanted to thank Rence for including the information. We haven't decided whether or not to do Palo yet, and if we did it on the last night, we probably wouldn't have thought twice about whether or not to tell our servers. This info will help us eliminate the chance of making our servers (or ourselves) uncomfortable if we were to mention that we wouldn't be at dinner the final night and we would definately stop by afterwards to give our tips (or do it the night before).

Thanks,
Lissa

lbgraves
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
If you are going to be missing your regular dinner for Palo, it is always considerate to let your servers know. If you have tablemates, they wont be made to wait for you to show up.

woody73
05-01-2006, 08:43 PM
. . . I just wanted to know if I was going to be missing a "great" meal. . .

No, you won't. You will have a much better meal at Palo. Your regular servers will understand if you only have dessert. It happens all the time.

Woody

jennifermcb
05-02-2006, 10:14 AM
On our last cruise, I mentioned to our server Roberto that I would be dining in Palo's the following night. He told me that they would be serving Lava Cake (which is a chocolate cake w/chocolate icing) and I lamented the fact that Iwould miss out on it! He assured me he would have it sent up to Palo's for me, and he followed through with his promise :thumbsup2

morningglory316
05-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I too want to catch palos but dont want to miss anything. I dont want to miss the pirate night.The cruise line operator told me the last night is the pirate dinner.Can someone tell me how to do all three restraunts and not miss palos or the theme night. I am going on the wonder four night cruise March of 07. Thank you in advance for your responses. Any advice I can get would be appreciated. One more question where do the kids who will be 13 close to 14 by the time then, Where do they go to eat while the adults are in palos. :banana: pirate:

Rence
05-05-2006, 02:11 PM
This answer has nothing to do with my question. We are eating at Palo AND then going to the dinning room with the rest of our family for the last night.

I just wanted to know if I was going to be missing a "great" meal.

I see no reason to tell the wait staff that we are eating at Palo when we will be there for our late seating as well. I have read on these boards that lots of people do this, I believe they call it "double dipping" meaning they have two dinners in one night!

I think your answer was a bit off topic :)
Thank you for declaring me off topic. I was just trying to be helpful but I won't make that mistake again.

SuzieDizney
05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
Hey Rence,
If there weren't wonderful people like you giving helpful information, these boards would not exist!! :sunny:

We appreciate any and all information you can give us!! :thumbsup2

Have a great weekend!!

kecall
05-05-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm also glad Rence that you shared your words of wisdom. We have never cruised before, much less with Disney, sooo everything is new to us! Thanks for giving me something to think about!!

karen :)