PDA

View Full Version : Grilling at the Vacation Home

kcarp
04-30-2006, 07:51 PM
We plan on doing some outdoor grilling, do you think the rental will have salt & peper, season all are anything to season the meat? I was thinking about freezing some chicken breast & steaks for the trip, and bring it with us. I would rather buy everything there, but I also don't feel like stocking their kitchen. Any advice from the vets?

mbb
04-30-2006, 08:07 PM
We had a "welcome pack" at our last rental...salt and pepper, eggs, juice, milk, bread, and some treats for the kids.

So there might be - but if your owner doesn;t arrange for it, I don't think I would chance using "leftovers"..

The grocery stores usually have little table size salt and pepper, so you don't hae to buy the full size. Same with ketchup, mustard, relish.."picnic pack" type things..

I stock up on ziplock freezer bags, and different kinds of marinade..first grocery order is lots of meat..separate it all, throw in some marinade, and toss in the freezer.

I usually pick up a spiral sliced ham - it's an easy cook, and great for sandwiches to take to the parks.

In the mornings, take out what we're having for supper, and by the time we get home, toss a salad, Lipton sidekicks, throw the meat on the grill...

Voila!! Easy supper!!

Double check with the owner as well, about the grill..is it gas, charcoal, or electric?? Some of the homes don't permit gas grills inside the screen enclosure, and some don't permit gas grills at all, so you may have to stock up on charcoal too:)

HTH!!
:sunny:

minnie29uk
04-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi!
I very much doubt there will be any food at all in home,unless you have ordered a welcome pack.For health and safety reasons all fodd should be disposed of at the end of each stay.
Do check you can grill outside,as it is not permissable in some rental vacations.

Enjoy your holiday,
lynn

kcarp
04-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi!
I very much doubt there will be any food at all in home

Sorry if I mislead anyone. I was just wondering if there will be any seasoning for the meat in the home? I will bring or buy the food when I get there.

Thanks

isla bonita
04-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Anything that is open legally has to be tossed.

What you can do is start saving small packets from take out and you can use those. If not you can always purchase smallest containers.

When we are down there we have gotten in the habit of keeping any extra when we get take out and seem to have many left over packets.

We always keep 2 gas tanks for our gas grill for our guests to use but you might ask if the house even has one and if thee are extra tanks. Nothing is worse then running out of gas half way thru grilling.

Check the draws and under the grill for the utencils when cooking. My guests keep melting my spatulas. LOL

Happy grilling.

MBB
Sounds like you have done this before. LOL

kcarp
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
The house i'm renting has a gas grill, but I didn't think about the tank running out! Thanks for the tips everyone. :thumbsup2

kilee
05-01-2006, 07:34 AM
We have actually never had anything seasoning or anything edible for that matter in any of the rentals we've had. I have seen like mbb said some arrange for a welcome packet, but not all. So, that will be something to inquire about.