PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to order room service and take food off the ship???

kritter
04-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Just read in the new passporter that it is no longer ok for you to do this...I have read on the boards that people have done it in the past....Anyone done it recently...Obviously you are not going to tell SCL that you are doing it...But can you still get away with it???Or do they check your small roll on cooler when you get off the ship for food???

Buddy Bear
04-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Yes, it is highly recommended with children. We order extra breakfast and take it with us since you never know when the little one will want cheerios or something else like that.

lbgraves
04-30-2006, 09:08 PM
You can't take opened food back onto the ship but we have never had a problem with taking things off with us in the ports.

Rence
04-30-2006, 09:15 PM
You can't take opened food back onto the ship but we have never had a problem with taking things off with us in the ports.

The key here is "In Ports" It is a bit No-No to try to take food off the ship when it returns to the US. You can take unopened food items sealed in their original package but nothing else. They do care and the fines are quite large.

tvguy
04-30-2006, 09:25 PM
In many of the ports, it has never been legal to take fresh food (sandwiches, fruit, veggies) off the ship. A lot of people still have done it, they just didn't get caught.

kritter
04-30-2006, 10:08 PM
confused now what is the bottom line can we or can we not????

Flagger
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
It is a violation of most ports to take food off the ship whether most people do it and get away with it.

kritter
04-30-2006, 10:16 PM
I have read ont hese boards that it is doen though..!!!

joyv
04-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Officially, it is not allowed. But they don't really check your bags when you go out from the ship to the port. I brought 2 packs of cereal for my kids from Topsiders buffet and my friends wrapped a bagel and a piece of donut in a ziploc bag to take with them to the beaches in St. Maarten/St. Thomas as well.

kritter
04-30-2006, 10:51 PM
well I have heard/read on the boards here that people order sandwiches the night before and carry them off ht ship into port......

Flagger
04-30-2006, 11:26 PM
well I have heard/read on the boards here that people order sandwiches the night before and carry them off ht ship into port......Ok well that is fine, but the law of the country(ies) you will visit say that is not allowed and there can be serious penalties if you get caught. If you want to be a person who teaches their kids through their actions that is ok to ignore the law, then that is up to you.

Buddy Bear
04-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Ok well that is fine, but the law of the country(ies) you will visit say that is not allowed and there can be serious penalties if you get caught. If you want to be a person who teaches their kids through their actions that is ok to ignore the law, then that is up to you.

Yes, I fully agree. I can't wait to be on the 11 o'clock news for feeding my 2 year old Cheerios while visiting Cozumel. :teeth:

lbgraves
04-30-2006, 11:50 PM
LOL! I am with you, BuddyBear. :) With little kids you have to have a snack bag ready everywhere. I am not going to be worrying about having to find a decent snack for the kids when we are in port. They are happy with juice boxes & granola bars so that gets packed in the bag along with the camera & our room cards. :) Honestly, there weren't any signs when we were leaving the ship about taking food off but there were signs when we got back to the pier. Of course there were signs when we got off the ship in PC too. Anything that was opened went in the trashcan in the room.

MrsMork
05-01-2006, 01:15 AM
I have never seen anything posted either on the ship or in the Navigators that it is illegal to take food off at the ports. It is very visibly posted at PC. Where is it posted at the ports?? :confused3

Vavasmon
05-01-2006, 11:35 AM
There was a large sign posted by the metal detecors when we got onto the Tenders at GC in April that said food may not be taken off the ship. No one seemed to be checking for this however. I don't remember seeing the same sign in Cozumel.

Flagger
05-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Yes, I fully agree. I can't wait to be on the 11 o'clock news for feeding my 2 year old Cheerios while visiting Cozumel. :teeth:My comment was to this comment by the OP whose very question BTW is "Is it OK to order room service and take food off the ship": well I have heard/read on the boards here that people order sandwiches the night before and carry them off ht ship into port......The simple answer is NO it is NOT ok.

Any child taking a 3, 4 or 7 day cruise certainly is not going to starve or become malnourished. I personally think it is important to parent by example and show respect for the laws and cultures of the places we visit. My nearly 3 DD has sampled food she had never tried before in every place both domestic and international we have visited. She has not liked everything, but she knows that she has to wait until we get back to the ship or eat from some place while on shore.

As far as worries of food poisoning, we have gotten sick from some of the finest restaurants on the planet and OTOH have eaten food that would turn most stomachs yet we survived to tell the tale. You can parent however you wish, but as far as the OP is concerned, no manner of justifying "other people do it", "I didn't see any signs", "It wasn't in the Navigator" will ever make it right to take food or room service on shore.

tvguy
05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Yes, I fully agree. I can't wait to be on the 11 o'clock news for feeding my 2 year old Cheerios while visiting Cozumel. :teeth:

Since Cheerios are not fresh food (produce, meat), you shouldn't have a problem.
You sure won't make any of my newscasts....however, if you take your kids out of school for a vacation and get busted by truancy officers, I can't promise you won't make the show. They do one truancy sweep per semester here, and along with the usual group of parents who just don't care if their kids go to school, there are the otherwise responsible parents who don't realize it is a felony to take your kid out of school for a vacation.

DrCavin
05-01-2006, 12:24 PM
When we were docked in St. Marteen, I saw a lady & her young son stopped from taking pizza off the ship. DCL was not searching bags or anything, they had it on a plate & probably never knew/noticed it wasn't allowed... Security just told them they had to either eat it before leaving or throw it away...

kritter
05-01-2006, 07:55 PM
well, I did not mean to open a can of worms here...

The thing about taking you kids out of school well I think if you can take a family vacation then the family time is better than school..As a former teacher family time comes only a few times a year and life can change in an instant so I am all for taking them out of school...

As for if taking food off the ship is correct thing to teach the kids or not.....I think if you do it then do not amke a big thing the kdis will never know the difference!!!!

mott
05-01-2006, 08:29 PM
In hopes of getting this thread back on topic....

I know that US customs makes it VERY clear what you are not allowed to bring into the US. How can we find out the customs rules or laws at ports that DCL visits? Specifically for Cozomel? Of all the "regular" ports that DCL goes to, I'd be most concerned about eating the food in Mexico. I don't want anyone to get sick because we ate bad food in port. I know this can happen anywhere - even in a 5* restaurant, but the probability is much greater in certain places than others. Bottom line for me is that I do not want to break the law, so I'd just like to find out what they are. :)

NCardella
05-01-2006, 09:25 PM
When we disembarked in St. Maarten there was a sign as you left the ship saying "No fresh fruit allowed to be taken off the ship" and there was a pile of bananas, apples, etc as people left them there.

But the next day in St. Thomas there was no such sign. Because of being a US territory, maybe?

As I opened my bag to empty out my bananas right in front of the CM, he saw my sandwiches (ordered from room service) and water and just told me to leave the fruit.

This was on our most recent, 3/18/06.

Flagger
05-01-2006, 09:58 PM
As for if taking food off the ship is correct thing to teach the kids or not.....I think if you do it then do not amke a big thing the kdis will never know the difference!!!!
I am just curious as to why you even bothered to ask then. You obviously have your mind made up with no regard to the laws of the country you visit.

yogibigdog
05-01-2006, 10:08 PM
The official word from room service was "No they will not prepare food for you to take off the ship". I called asked them on my last cruise. Yes, some people do it and they may not be questioned but I am just letting you know what room service policy is.

Jillpie
05-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Just for discussion sake...I am curious as to why room service would care where we eat the food, whether its in our room, on deck or on the islands? We paid for it, why can't we just order it and take it with us? It doesn't make sense to me. And if we order it in the morning for that days lunch on the island, are they actually going to say no, they won't deliver it?

MrsMork
05-01-2006, 11:11 PM
When we disembarked in St. Maarten there was a sign as you left the ship saying "No fresh fruit allowed to be taken off the ship" and there was a pile of bananas, apples, etc as people left them there.

But the next day in St. Thomas there was no such sign. Because of being a US territory, maybe?

As I opened my bag to empty out my bananas right in front of the CM, he saw my sandwiches (ordered from room service) and water and just told me to leave the fruit.

This was on our most recent, 3/18/06.
So on St. Maarten all is fine except fresh fruit? How can we find out the laws so we don't become felons? Oh never mind, I already am since I took DGS out of school for family vacation. Interesting that the schools gave their blessing along with the work that needed to be made up.

Buddy Bear
05-01-2006, 11:37 PM
I am just curious as to why you even bothered to ask then. You obviously have your mind made up with no regard to the laws of the country you visit.

Have you considered decaf?

donmil723
05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
I was trying to find the official word on bringing sandwiches/snacks into Grand Cayman and Cozumel. I found the following on Grand Cayman:

Arriving visitors may bring in duty-free any personal items for use while on vacation. In addition, visitors 18 and older can bring in duty-free either one litre of alcohol, four litres of wine or one case of beer (not exceeding eight litres) and 200 cigarettes, or 25 cigars or 250 grams of tobacco. Don't be confused by the Customs forms which states that returning residents are allowed CI$300 worth of goods duty free. This privilege does not apply to visitors. Remember that any gifts you are bringing into Cayman may also be subject to duty. Books and camera equipment are always allowed as duty free items.

Don't Attempt To Bring In:
Importing or possession of any kind of illegal drugs including marijuana (ganja) is strictly prohibited by law and violators face arrest and prosecution by local authorities.

Also prohibited are:
Firearms of any kind.
Spearguns (or pole spears or Hawaiian slings).
Live plants and plant cuttings; raw fruits and vegetables are also restricted because they may carry diseases or shelter harmful insect pests.

If you have questions about any item, contact the Collector of Customs, (345) 949-2473.

When You Leave Cayman:
Visitors from the US should be aware that products made from farmed green sea turtles available in limited selections at the Cayman Turtle Farm Ltd. are offered for local consumption. The importation of genuine sea turtle products is strictly prohibited by any countries, which have signed the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (1978) including the USA, Canada and UK. In addition, US Customs prohibits the transhipment of turtle products through the US. Any products discovered will be confiscated.

Plants and Animals:
You will not be allowed to bring back any plants or plant seeds, vegetables or fruits unless you have official permits from US Customs. Otherwise, these will be confiscated by Customs at US gateways.

Here is the website I found it at: http://www.caymanislands.co.uk/tour_guide/customs.asp

I hope that helps answer the question about the Cayman Islands!

Donna

MrsMork
05-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Thank you, Donna. Will have to do some searching for websites for the other ports we are visiting.

dreamcometrue
05-02-2006, 12:12 AM
from what I have learned while travelling is that yes, some countries prohibit certain foods to be brought in and/or taken out, however, mostly it is only fruits, vegetables and/or raw meats. I am pretty sure it would be ok to bring closed boxes of cereal (those miniature ones), granola bars, etc. off the ship. Of course, I would double check before doing so.

My kids will be 8 and 12 when we cruise, but I remember what it's like to have smaller kids. They are not hungry for hours and then all of a sudden, like THAT they want to eat and they want to eat NOW or meltdown here we come!

So bottom line is, educate yourself on what exactly can be brought off the ship and go with that!

kritter
05-02-2006, 08:20 AM

Oh my gosh!! I have regard for the laws just curious since I know that it has been done in the past!!

Capt_BJ
05-02-2006, 08:59 AM
I've had a very personnal interest in this, since I was the person who'd get arrested if the rules were broken....

don't get caught... ;) That's one way a lot of folks seem to be looking at this.... If I didn't get caught it must be OK. Well...no.
That said, there is the question of enforcement. Some countries will enforce more than others. Some not at all. Enforcment will change based on current events. Normally most countries really don't spend resources enforcing this. However, when the swine flu or mad cow are all over the newspaper I've been met by men with spray bottles to decontaminate the ship - and trays of chemicals for everyone to step in as they left the ship.
the concern is not over packaged stuff like Cheerios, candy bars, canned drinks, bagged chips. The concern is fresh fruit, veggies and sometimes meat. These things can carry insects or other 'baddies'. Generally all such material removed from a ship in any port is handled 'special'. Foreign trash is the common term. It is not just dumped in a land fill, it is usually isolated and burned. But, that varies a lot from country to country. Heck, in the US it varies from port to port too :confused3
But the US is a lot more attentive than most other countries. And the ship must be concerned about what comes aboard in those countries if they don't want problems in US....and are obviously concerned about what leaves the ship.
Long answer huh? So, if you subscribe to the belief that every deduction is legal until the audit then you have one way to deal with this. And if you are environmentally concerned....you have another. If you are the person who will get the fine, you have another pirate:

I'll refrain from comment as to the correctness of taking food off the ship in general...frankly I like trying the local stuff...and I find room in my bags for a box of granola bars for the kiddie snack, and have yet to find any place I couldn't buy a bag of chips or a Milky Way :goodvibes

slindamood
05-02-2006, 10:11 AM
There is a difference between DCL policy against packing and preparing food to be taken off the ship and the laws of a country prohibiting food to be brought from a ship. DCL obviously has a policy against their room service staff packing lunches to be taken ashore - as passengers who take food on excursions have to take baggies, foil, etc. to pack items on their own. However, the only prohibitions I have ever seen while travelling have to do with fresh fruits and vegetables. And the US is the most careful on these items being brought in.

As Mrs. Mork has said - we need to find the policy of each country - we know that Grand Cayman only prohibits fresh items. That means cookies and PB & J would be OK, but not lettuce on a sandwich.

I have taken cookies off on island excursions and did not know of any prohibition - there was no indication at the time that it was not OK. I also saw a nephew get quite sick from some beach-side food. Those of us who had only cookies from the ship were fine.

KimberlyC
05-02-2006, 12:05 PM
There is a difference between DCL policy against packing and preparing food to be taken off the ship and the laws of a country prohibiting food to be brought from a ship. DCL obviously has a policy against their room service staff packing lunches to be taken ashore - as passengers who take food on excursions have to take baggies, foil, etc. to pack items on their own. However, the only prohibitions I have ever seen while travelling have to do with fresh fruits and vegetables. And the US is the most careful on these items being brought in.

As Mrs. Mork has said - we need to find the policy of each country - we know that Grand Cayman only prohibits fresh items. That means cookies and PB & J would be OK, but not lettuce on a sandwich.

I have taken cookies off on island excursions and did not know of any prohibition - there was no indication at the time that it was not OK. I also saw a nephew get quite sick from some beach-side food. Those of us who had only cookies from the ship were fine.

ITA. DCL may have decided, as a matter of policy, not to have its staff prepare food to be taken off the ship, but DCL doesn't make the laws of each port. DCL may not package your items for you but DCL shouldn't prohibit pax from packaging items themselves and taking items off that aren't prohibited by local governments. As has been indicated, some local governments have restrictions (usually on plants, vegetables and some meats) entering their ports in an effort to protect their ecosystems. (There are even restrictions between the US and Canada clearly indicated at the border crossings, its standard).

I carry snacks for my toddler everywhere I go...things like pretzels, teddy grahams, etc. I don't know of any port on DCL's itinerary that would prohibit these items or PB&J sandwiches, potato chips, cookies, bottled water, soft drinks and the like.

Take comfort in knowing you can package the aforementioned items (leave the fruit behind) and take them ashore without breaking any laws/rules/regulations. This includes DCL since its seems to only prohibit packaging these items for people. I can understand why DCL would want to disuade pax from doing this. If enough people made the request, it would be hard for the CM's to accommodate everyone while attending to their regular duties. Its much easier for DCL to just say "I'm sorry, we can't do that". Plus, this was DCL takes no part in the decision to comply or not comply with local laws.