PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade question

tiptoen
04-30-2006, 01:41 PM
I know it's rare but I wonder what the average number of upgrades are given on each sailing. Also what reasons do they upgrade ? Is it because the lower cats sell out and they think they will sell more lowers if they free them up ?

lbgraves
04-30-2006, 02:10 PM
There is really no way of knowing. Some cruises have none while others seem to have several. Upgrades result from the price increases. When we booked our cat 8 18 months out we paid 3100 for the 4 of us. We were upgraded to a cat 4 that was listed at 6300 at the time. Our cat 8 was then going for 3800. It was more likely that someone looking for a last minute cruise would be willing to pay 3800 than 6300. They would have not booked if the 3800 rate wasn't available. It is better for DCL to move the person up who paid the initial lower fare to get a higher rate from another. HTH. :) They will only have gty rooms listed for the category at the later date so they aren't giving out a stateroom until they have moved someone up & out of that room.

woody73
05-01-2006, 02:55 AM
We have received upgrades on DCL, usually well in advance of the cruise dates.

tomspixie
05-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Are they random, or do you have your name on a list that would enjoy an upgrade?

Pooh_Friend#1
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
I received an upgrade on my upcoming cruise. No one knows how DCL really picks and chooses. Out of 3 staterooms linked together, DCL picked the middle room of the 3 (fortunately was mine!!!!) and upgraded it. Too bad we are now on the opposite end of the ship, but I will take the verandah!!!!

Buddrose
05-01-2006, 10:51 AM
We were fortunate enough to receive an upgrade from a Cat. 8 to a Cat. 6 on our very first cruise! We have rebooked for May, 2007, so maybe we will get another one! BUT - just as long as we are one the ship - we don't care where our room is located :sunny:

kcashner
05-01-2006, 12:17 PM
There is absolutely no way to predict how many upgrades will be given on any particular cruise. The ships always sail nearly full. If they are not filling at the initial prices, DCL may drop the price of cat 11 or 12 (and may upgrade some already booked passengers to free up more of these). They may offer FL resident rates, CM specials, military rates, etc. in order to fill the ships.

So...if you are sailing over CHristmas, summers, etc. there will be many fewer upgrades as the ships will fill on their own. If you are sailing in September, you might be lucky.

If you book gty, you seem to have a better chance of an upgrade. The lower category you book, the better chance just based on numbers.

Upgrades can happen months in advance or at the port. Who knows....you could be booked in a cat 4 and have someone in a 3 cancel at the last minute. It has happened, but not often.

tvguy
05-01-2006, 12:28 PM
There is absolutely no way to predict how many upgrades will be given on any particular cruise. The ships always sail nearly full. If they are not filling at the initial prices, DCL may drop the price of cat 11 or 12 (and may upgrade some already booked passengers to free up more of these). They may offer FL resident rates, CM specials, military rates, etc. in order to fill the ships.

So...if you are sailing over CHristmas, summers, etc. there will be many fewer upgrades as the ships will fill on their own. If you are sailing in September, you might be lucky.

If you book gty, you seem to have a better chance of an upgrade. The lower category you book, the better chance just based on numbers.

Upgrades can happen months in advance or at the port. Who knows....you could be booked in a cat 4 and have someone in a 3 cancel at the last minute. It has happened, but not often.

I think lbgraves may be closer to correct than you on pricing. I think Disney moves up people to make available lower priced cabins at rates above what the folks already booked in there paid.
We received an upgrade on our first and only Disney cruise, a packed New Years Eve cruse on the Magic, from category 10 to category 6.

Rence
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
DCL doesn't provide any information on complimentary upgrades. So there are no statistics available with regards to how frequently it happens etc.

They also have never made any statement regarding how they determine when and who to upgrade. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence here on the disboards regarding upgrades but no one has been able to determine a pattern. There are theories and speculation, but that's about it.

captchris
05-01-2006, 07:07 PM
Wow it has been a while since I have read an upgrade thread!!! LOL

I myself am hoping for some pixie dust!

woody73
05-01-2006, 10:21 PM
When we receive a two category upgrade, we cannot figure out why it is that cruise and not others.

Woody