PDA

View Full Version : What kind of walkie talkies can you use?

Faith&Hope
04-30-2006, 02:03 AM
What type of walkie talkie can you use onboard?

ThePhantomsGirl
04-30-2006, 05:48 AM
Quiet ones?

Whoops...sorry. It's just that it's my hope that 9,000 people don't have those things blaring all day long. I can understand that it's important for parents to keep track of kids and such and it's a big ship. It's the overuse ("hi, I'm two feet away from you, just saw you two seconds ago but...")

aprilgail2
04-30-2006, 07:37 AM
Quiet ones?

Whoops...sorry. It's just that it's my hope that 9,000 people don't have those things blaring all day long. I can understand that it's important for parents to keep track of kids and such and it's a big ship. It's the overuse ("hi, I'm two feet away from you, just saw you two seconds ago but...")

LOL...We were watching a movie on board and someone had one that kept going off...it was very annoying..I just wish those that had them would turn them off during the movies and shows etc....its just as bad as people having cell phones in shows here at home that ring during shows.

ThreeDaughters
04-30-2006, 07:48 AM
Would like to buy one for the middle of the night when I can't sleep and I go to the top 2 decks but don't know which ones would work. I only use them if my friend woke up and needed to know where I was.

dreamcometrue
04-30-2006, 03:08 PM
I would be interested in this too. We won't cruise for a while, but my kids will be 8 and 12 when the time comes and I really want to get us some new walkie talkies. We are using some motorola ones right now (I think!) but they are old and on their last leg, plus there is only 2 of them, and we need 4!

linnied
04-30-2006, 03:26 PM
I too am in the market for a few walkie talkies. I need a total of 3. If they make any that can vibrate like a cell phone instead of beep when one is calling another that would be great. If anyone know of a good brand to purchase I would love the suggestion :goodvibes

mommasita
04-30-2006, 03:39 PM
We have used Motorolla's..Not sure which brand, but the inexpensive ones..WE always bring them, and they do come in handy...Works well enough for us to find each other when lost on the decks..LOL...We DO NOT use them in the theatre or anywhere else like that..Lots of people have reported having mixed channels and not good reception, but we actually REALLY found these came in handy.. :thumbsup2

mattmommy
04-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Now that we're all waiting for an answer I'll join the questions. We bought a trio of talkies a few years back for our family reunion at WDW. It didn't work out so great. No communication and we had to fall back on cell phones. We'll have 14 on this cruise (7/1) and then 7 more will join us for a WDW trip. I would like a nice quiet one too.

Have a cell phone, but not a big user. Like to have it "just in case". Would love to be a cop to give tickets to the idiots that swerve all over and forget to signal because they're talking on the phone.

dreamcometrue
04-30-2006, 03:49 PM
do cell phones even work on the ship?

tvguy
04-30-2006, 09:38 PM
No, cell phones don't work, you have to be near a cell tower on land for them to work. At least on Disney. Some ships are putting in cell service, but it costs you the same $6.95 per minute to use as using your stateroom phone.

Walkie Talkies rely on line of sight frequencies, so I can't imagine them working reliabily in a ship which is made of metal which blocks those frequencies.

MrsScooby
04-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Ours worked fine on our cruise in 2002. We played with them in the terminal before we embarked so that we had a least two stations that we knew would work. Back then we needed them for the ressie rush when we first boarded, but they also worked between the pool and the room. I think we had Motorolas as well. Plan on taking them again, but won't have them on during shows of course.
They were helpful, but not crucial because we did most things together.

Faith&Hope
05-01-2006, 12:42 AM
I'll have to search for the motorolla ones. We have a baby in Flounders and a 3 yr old in the club so it will be very handy to keep track of each other. When the baby is sleeping in the room with me, daddy will be in the pool with the older one...some communication will be nice.
Definitely wouldn't use them in the theater, dinner,etc.....only when we are separated.

thomprod
05-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Motorola Talkabouts work well on the Wonder and Magic most of the time. The more metal walls and decks they have to transmit through, the worse the reception is. The models we have come with a vibrate mode and also with headphones, so they can be used less obtrusively. If we are not at dinner or in a show, we use the regular speaker and keep it turned down to a minimum level.

tvguy
05-01-2006, 07:53 PM
I guess my point is, don't count on them. They are not designed to work within a metal structure. We never had any problems finding our kids on board without them.

d'Isigny
05-01-2006, 11:21 PM
We've used Motorolla TalkAbout walkie talkies. They worked very-well. We will be taking them again - and again. Ours have numerous channels that allow us to find one with no one else on it - so, we don't have to listen to other peoples conversations.

I highly recommend you take an ear plug for times you will be in quiet areas of the ship. It was our hopes using these would limit disrupting our fellow cruisers. This is only 1 option on using walkie-talkies - respectfully.

any others have suggestions on how these can be used without 'making those around you' - crazy?