PDA

View Full Version : Roll In Shower room ?????

fostrmom2mny
04-29-2006, 05:09 PM
:confused3 I have a guranteed roll in shower stall room at the ASMu. It is in the Jazz bldg. I thought that all roll in shower rooms were in the Calypso? Anyone know about any being in the Jazz? Thanks. Is there anywhere I can go that lists the handicap rooms at the different resorts?
Gerri

SueM in MN
04-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Here's a link to the accessible rooms thread that we had going on this board. (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=12498627#post12498627)
Calypso was listed a building at ASM that had accessible rooms, but I don't know if there are others or if posters just had only stayed in that building.

fostrmom2mny
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
I read thru that entire post (7 pages), but didn't see any mention of one in ASMu Jazz Bldg. Other's thoughts?
Gerri

Talking Hands
04-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Stayed in JAzz with a handicapped accessible room with roll in shower.

pugdog
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
NONE of the resorts have rollin shower rooms in one building. Well except the resorts that have only one building. They are all spaced through out the resorts.

MikeS.
05-01-2006, 03:14 AM
:confused3 I have a guranteed roll in shower stall room at the ASMu. It is in the Jazz bldg. I thought that all roll in shower rooms were in the Calypso? Anyone know about any being in the Jazz? Thanks. Is there anywhere I can go that lists the handicap rooms at the different resorts?
Gerri

We stayed in ASMu Jazz the week of 03/20 and had a roll in shower. The shower curtain had a large gap, 4+" that we always flooded out the bathroom floor. Had to get extra towels each day just for the wet floors.

SueM in MN
05-01-2006, 06:09 AM
We stayed in ASMu Jazz the week of 03/20 and had a roll in shower. The shower curtain had a large gap, 4+" that we always flooded out the bathroom floor. Had to get extra towels each day just for the wet floors.
Some pointers for the roll in shower.
- Before turning the water on, make sure the showerheads are pointing away from the shower curtain (more toward the side wall).
- Let the water run with the shower curtain shut to warm up, then reach one hand in to turn off the water, so you can open the curtain and get into the shower with the water off.
- Once in the shower, turn the water back on. You can re-adjust the shower head, but try to keep the water pointed toward the middle, rather than where it would hit the shower curtain. Re-adjust the water to point to the walls for the next person before you get out.
- You may find it works better to get extra bathmats rather than extra towels. The bathmats are thicker and hold more water. They also are less slippery on the floor than towels were.

The first time we got a roll in shower room, we had problems with water all over (and hated the roll in shower). Now, that we have figured it out, we get very little water on the floor. You can't avoid a fine mist, but you can usually avoid a flood. Using bathmats helps a lot, but the biggest help is to point the showerheads away from the curtain.

pampam
05-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Wer've stayed in Jazz room 9462 many times. It was a roll in shower room. However, now that they are doing renovations and converting some rooms to suites, I'm not sure if it is available anymore.

SueM in MN
05-05-2006, 08:06 AM
Wer've stayed in Jazz room 9462 many times. It was a roll in shower room. However, now that they are doing renovations and converting some rooms to suites, I'm not sure if it is available anymore.
Wonder if they will make it a roll in shower suite.
If they have suites available for people who don't need roll in showers, they also have to make a percentage of rooms in that same type/class for people who do need accessible rooms.

minnie61650
05-05-2006, 03:19 PM
Wonder if they will make it a roll in shower suite.
If they have suites available for people who don't need roll in showers, they also have to make a percentage of rooms in that same type/class for people who do need accessible rooms.

I just posted this on another thread:

I booked a Family Suite with a raised toilet seat and shower bench for September of this year.
They do not have the suites available with Rollin showers yet, but they said they will have them by the end of year in 2007.

Sorry I could not give you better news.
Hopefully they will speed up the w/c accessible family suites and they will be availble sooner.
Keep checking.

SueM in MN
05-05-2006, 09:46 PM
thanks for the update.

BCV23
05-10-2006, 08:10 PM
NONE of the resorts have rollin shower rooms in one building. Well except the resorts that have only one building. They are all spaced through out the resorts.

At the Polynesian all the accessible rooms with roll-in showers ARE in one building....Rapa Nui... as far as I know. Recently, a suite in Tonga was also made accessible but that is an all suites building.

pugdog
05-10-2006, 09:26 PM
That would be the other exception, the oldest resorts.

BCV23
05-10-2006, 10:03 PM
That would be the other exception, the oldest resorts.

And the best...the ones with the touch of Walt Disney! :sunny:

dclfun
05-11-2006, 07:17 AM
I think it's terrible that some of the resorts do not have roll in shower or even accessible rooms in their concierge floors or buildings. Thus a person who wants to stay at that level cannot stay at the Poly, Beach Club or Yacht Club. I'm not sure about the others...but for certain these do not have accomodations. What do they think...disabled people don't want to stay at the concierge level? Even if a room on another floor is provided there is the inconvenience to deal with and you don't get the same experience as non-disabled guests, which is what the ADA is all about. ---Kathy

BCV23
05-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Kathy, I completely agree with you. We were so excited when we were told that the Polynesian was adding accessible rooms last summer/fall when the new decor was installed in Hawaii. We were so sad to find out it didn't happen. Who would want to trek from Rapa Nui to Hawaii for a bagel or help with an AR. :confused3

Sugar Loaf at the GF does have a rollinshower room. I don't know about club level in the main building.

steffali
05-12-2006, 05:44 PM
I think it's terrible that some of the resorts do not have roll in shower or even accessible rooms in their concierge floors or buildings. Thus a person who wants to stay at that level cannot stay at the Poly, Beach Club or Yacht Club. I'm not sure about the others...but for certain these do not have accomodations. What do they think...disabled people don't want to stay at the concierge level? Even if a room on another floor is provided there is the inconvenience to deal with and you don't get the same experience as non-disabled guests, which is what the ADA is all about. ---Kathy

I agree!! We are staying at the POLY but we have to stay in Rapa Nui Bldg because my DD needs a roll in shower. We would have loved to stay in a Concierge Level room but they said none of them have the roll in showers. So I guess for now our only choice is Rapa Nui with no view but the parking lot or garden :sad2:

dclfun
05-14-2006, 06:20 AM
I feel like all of us should write a letter regarding the lack of accessible rooms at the concierge level or concierge buildings of some of the resorts. To me it is unconscionable that a renovation was done at the Poly without adding accessible rooms. Also segregating the disabled into one building without a "view" is also discriminatory.I wonder if it's even legal and I will pursue this.---Kathy

steffali
05-14-2006, 09:21 AM
I feel like all of us should write a letter regarding the lack of accessible rooms at the concierge level or concierge buildings of some of the resorts. To me it is unconscionable that a renovation was done at the Poly without adding accessible rooms. Also segregating the disabled into one building without a "view" is also discriminatory.I wonder if it's even legal and I will pursue this.---Kathy

Count me in!! Let me know who to write to and I will complain. I thought it was horrible that we couldn't get a CL room at POLY. This is my DH first time staying on site and he figured it would be nice to have that extra treatment so I don't have to do all the planning etc... :sad2:

dclfun
05-15-2006, 06:42 AM
I will be calling the reservations department today, speaking with a supervisor in Special Services and following up with an email to guest communications. When I get the right address I'll pass it on. Even if people aren't planning to stay at these resorts we should all still send an email. The excuse of the resort being older really doesn't apply after a renovation and even without a planned total building renovation there should be retrofitting to allow the disabled equal access. Saying that you can stay in one building but have access to the concierge building ( or floor) is not equal access and is discriminatory. Stephanie- I'm sorry you can't have what you want for your visit too. ----Kathy

minnie61650
05-15-2006, 06:55 AM
I will be calling the reservations department today, speaking with a supervisor in Special Services and following up with an email to guest communications. When I get the right address I'll pass it on. Even if people aren't planning to stay at these resorts we should all still send an email. The excuse of the resort being older really doesn't apply after a renovation and even without a planned total building renovation there should be retrofitting to allow the disabled equal access. Saying that you can stay in one building but have access to the concierge building ( or floor) is not equal access and is discriminatory. Stephanie- I'm sorry you can't have what you want for your visit too. ----Kathy

ITA
Count me in.

OT kinda (I do not want to hijack your thread) but I was also very disappointed when Disney renovated The Land at Epcot and did not add a second elevator. It is such a pity they only have one small elevator in that huge building.

Have fun at Disney!

steffali
05-15-2006, 07:45 AM

Thanks Kathy!
I asked reservations if I could pay the same price for a CL room and get the Conceirge benefits but stay in Rapa Nui for the roll in shower & they said that couldn't be done either :confused3
Please keep me posted on what the supervisor tells you.

SueM in MN
05-15-2006, 07:51 AM
ITA
Count me in.

OT kinda (I do not want to hijack your thread) but I was also very disappointed when Disney renovated The Land at Epcot and did not add a second elevator. It is such a pity they only have one small elevator in that huge building.

Have fun at Disney!
To add to the hijack-

I totally agree with you. We were in the Land several times over a 10 day trip this year April/May and DH and DD had to wait for the elevator going down at least 10 minutes each time. (Going back up was usually shorter).
We always split up and had only DD and DH going down in the elevator, while the rest of us used the stairs or escalators. Most of the time, DH noticed that the elevator would be filled with a party of one in a wheelchair and all the rest of their party - that meant each trip usually only accomidated one wheelchair. In one trip to the building, the waiting line was about 40 people long - with 4 wheelchairs.

We found that every time we entered the building, the CM at the door saw we had a wheelchair and directed us to where the elevator was (they didn't miss even once). Since we have been there many times and were aware of the elevator issues, the rest of our party just automatically headed for the stairs. I'm sure many people (especially those on their first visit don't know to do that).
Since they only have one small elevator, I think the CMs greeting people at the door should mention that the elevator is small and they would appreciate limiting the party using it to those who need to use it, rather than the whole party.

SueM in MN
05-15-2006, 07:57 AM
I don't have time to look right now for the part of the ADA that would address this, but Michigan or (sorry, for not remembering the name, but I'm having a mental block - Cash, the Wonder Dog's owner) probably know offhand because they are both very good on these issues.

(Paraphrasing) It does say that rooms in each type need to be accessible. I believe it exempts renovations that are cosmetic, which may be how they are avoiding offering them. But, I totally agree that having access to the Concierge building, but not being able to stay there is not anywhere near the same access as staying in the building.

Looking forward to getting the address.

BCV23
05-15-2006, 12:26 PM
I completely agree about the Land. Good suggestion about the CMs suggesting the stairs, Sue. :thumbsup2

steffali, we have been told we could add concierge to a stay at Rapa Nui. Were you told no by Disney Reservation Center or Special Requests? It was Special Requests that told us we could. Can't remember how long ago it was though. :confused3

But I would never do that anyway. The two buildings are not close enough to make it convenient.

If it is any consolation, there are three advantages to Rapa Nui over Hawaii. The rooms are considerably larger....a really noticeable difference which is nice with a wheelchair or two. Secondly, there is a small parking lot that is incredibly convenient at Rapa Nui if you will have a car. It is the best parking situation I have seen at any resort. Thirdly, the garden views in Rapa Nui are prettier than those in Hawaii in my opinion. And you will not have a view of the parking lot....all the accessible rooms are on the courtyard side.

Of course, a lagoon view is not an option in Rapa Nui. But when I was told of the accessible rooms to be added at Hawaii last year...the change that did not happen.....the CM told me that the one that was going to have a rollin shower was to be garden view anyway. :rolleyes:

dclfun
05-16-2006, 07:05 AM
I was told to write to www.guest.communications@disney.com and to include all details, including the reason for the trip and what I was told by the CM. While the renovations at the Poly were cosmetic they included replacing all the bathroom fixtures, etc. so I don't know why a roll in shower in the concierge building wasn't included. Beach Club recently renovated their accessible rooms too, and they aren't accessible to me. They are all in one area only ( again, segregation) and none of them have a superior view. They overlook the noisy walkway into the resort and any view is blocked by trees. In fact I had booked a water view room there, accessible, only to be told by a cm at the Beach Club to call back and request a garden view room since none of the accessible rooms HAS a water view which I had paid for in that room type! For myself I truly prefer staying at and enjoying the resorts since I cannot "ride the rides" at all and tire easily, so now I am denied the pleasure of several WDW resorts and concierge in many. ---Kathy

dclfun
05-16-2006, 07:09 AM
p.s....just wanted to add that we stayed for 6 nights in the Rapa Nui building at the Poly in January. The room was recently renovated so I don't know if the layout changed, but I could not turn my chair around in that room and I found it incredibly tiny. I had to go in forward and back out of the room...impossible to do independently. ---Kathy

BCV23
05-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Kathy, if you had trouble in Rapa Nui, you would not be happy in Hawaii.

When you say the rooms are incredibly tiny, I will admit to be puzzled. I think those are the largest rooms in WDW other than suites and DVC accomodations. I can't remember the exact square footage but it is over 450 ft.

Now if you just mean the entrance, I understand as it is a narrow corridor. However all the deluxe resorts have that narrow entrance since the bathroom is always on one side and the closets on the other. My daughter in a power chair can manage the door alone although it is not easy and the chair props the door as she goes through so not the best for the door either! The easiest entrances we have found are at the GF. The doors there have wall plates and the bathroom doors are pocket doors. We've had accessible rooms in both Sugar Loaf (concierge) and Conch Key with lovevly views. SL looks at the marina and the room we had in Conch Key faced the lagoon and the castle.

We were in Rapa Nui in January too and there is no change in the basic configuration of the room. It is all cosmetic changes with the exception of the closets which were reconfigured.

We were also in the newly refurbished Hawaii in October but without our daughter. I guess it depends on what you call fixtures. The tubs, sinks, toilets, floors and walls in the bathrooms are the same. A new bowed shower curtain was added as was a shelf under the sink. The decor of the rooms was changed including the furniture. The only structural change was the closet. The tile on the lanais was changed too.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup2

dclfun
05-17-2006, 07:22 AM
I was also puzzled by the size of the room. Before becoming disabled my family stayed in the old "Oahu" building and the room was huge! My feeling was the daybed took up alot of space and there wasn't much space between the beds and the wall for whatever reason. I found the same to be true at SSR accessible studio and as we are DVC members I plan to never stay there again! Speaking of the SSR studio it did have improved features over the other DVC resorts with a lowered sink and even an accessible microwave but instead of a queen bed, the bed was a double, I guess to make up for the larger bathroom space needed. ---Kathy

BCV23
05-17-2006, 10:25 AM
LOL, I meant I was puzzled by the fact that you found the room incredibly tiny. The rooms in Rapa Nui are as large as the rooms in the other new buildings which is to say largest on property (other than suites and DVC). I don't remember which building was Oahu....is it Tokelau now?

You're right that there isn't much room between the bathroom wall and the bed closest to it. But that is also true in all the buildings. There was room for our daughter's power Quickie though. And of course all the rooms have that daybed which my family is thankful for since we need it. :sunny:

For our daughter there is plenty of room to turn around. One trip we had her portable manual Quickie, her walker and a rental powerchair all in the space between the closet and armoire. That wouldn't work now with the addition of the desk and long lower dresser though.

I suspect the difference for you might just be in having a chair in there too. Have you found any rooms at WDW or elsewhere since you have needed a chair that you would recommend?

BTW, the accessible studios we've had at BCV also have a lower microwave. I didn't notice if the heighth of the sink was different though.

dclfun
05-17-2006, 06:27 PM
We are DVC members and I've not had a problem at any DVC resort in a studio. Except for OKW a person in a w/c could not use the kitchen area in the one and two bedroom units as you couldn't open the fridge door. I've also stayed at AKLodge concierge several times ( wonderful!), Coronado Springs, POFQ, and POR, Contemporary, Grand Floridian and even the All Stars and Pop Century rooms are spacious enough to maneuver a bit. I think the issue with the Poly was the new armoire- it was HUGE! I also have a ventilator on the back of my chair and a feeding pump which makes it really really long so I know my needs for space are quite different than for someone in a "regular" size chair. It's an adult narrow but the length gets in the way of maneuverability. Oh...and you're right- Oahu is now Tokelau. That building is all garden view and I loved seeing the lit torches at night. Rapa Nui was way too much of a hike from the main building since I don't like the TTC at all.----Kathy

BCV23
05-17-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, Kathy.

It is amazing how different the space need are. For my daughter the studios at BCV..at least the bathrooms...are not as good as the GF and the Polynesian.

I can understand the moderates and value resort entrances would be easier. Are the bathrooms as convenient?

SueM in MN
05-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Except for OKW a person in a w/c could not use the kitchen area in the one and two bedroom units as you couldn't open the fridge door.
My DD did figure out how to get her wheelchair in just the right spot to get the fridge open, but she is a very determined girl in a very narrow adult manual wheelchair (her seat is only 14 inches wide). She's also used to a fairly similar set up on our kitchen.

minnie61650
05-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the reply, Kathy.

It is amazing how different the space need are. For my daughter the studios at BCV..at least the bathrooms...are not as good as the GF and the Polynesian.

I can understand the moderates and value resort entrances would be easier. Are the bathrooms as convenient?

I love the All Star resorts.
The bathroom with the roll in shower is very large. I would estimate it is more than twice lenght of the small standard bathroom and it has a huge sliding pocket door.

The king size bed is located quite a ways from the entry door giving me plenty of room to back my EVC in.

The deluxe rooms have the closet and bath by the entry door so there is that narrow hall way.

I cannot find the HA layouts but I will post the standard layouts of a Deluxe,a mod and an All Star room.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/_Beach_Club-stnProom.gif

Beach club layout

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/portorleansriv.gif

POR layout

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a175/minnie61650/All_Star_Sports_Room_View.gif

All Star room layout.

I have also found the bus transportation to be very good.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-CBR buses---POPbuses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----25 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 15 min-----20 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----12 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------20min-------15 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------20 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot, MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING

To me Bus Sharing at the All Stars is really a non issue.

In the mornings during Park opening hours each All Star usually has a dedicated bus.
During mid day it is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes it is all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

Have fun at Disney! :wizard:

BCV23
05-17-2006, 08:47 PM
but she is a very determined girl .

Sounds familiar! ;)

Great info, minnie

dclfun
05-18-2006, 08:58 AM
I will just echo that the All Stars are great...large bathrooms and a sliding door into them. After staying there several times I do have a preference...having the bed on the left side as you enter. This way my chair can park in a larger space ( rather than having to back up between the wall and bed with the bed on the right as you enter) and it's close to the light switch and phone/clock. I have to transfer from right to left so this is a big deal to me, one that I'd not thought of until having to deal with it. ---Kathy

pugdog
05-19-2006, 07:53 PM
The apsolute biggest roll in is at Coranado. It is way bigger then POP, All Stars and BWV.

steffali
05-20-2006, 01:04 PM
The apsolute biggest roll in is at Coranado. It is way bigger then POP, All Stars and BWV.

Just curious,what bed size is in the Coronado with a roll in shower ?? :confused3

pugdog
05-20-2006, 06:07 PM
we had a room with 2 doubles or queens or what ever size they put in there.

steffali
05-20-2006, 06:10 PM
we had a room with 2 doubles or queens or what ever size they put in there.

Were you far from the main bldg?????

videogal1
05-20-2006, 08:56 PM

That's what started me thinking that I should document the where and specific configurations of all the HA rooms at WDW....All I wanted at the time was to pick out a view, or find out what views were available from the HA rooms. Then, when I started making plans to stay at AKL I wanted to try a stay .at the concierge level...nobody would tell me if any of the concierge level rooms were accessible...When I asked why all the secrecy I was told over and over that it was a question of security...Go figure...
:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

minnie61650
05-21-2006, 03:38 AM
That's what started me thinking that I should document the where and specific configurations of all the HA rooms at WDW....All I wanted at the time was to pick out a view, or find out what views were available from the HA rooms. Then, when I started making plans to stay at AKL I wanted to try a stay .at the concierge level...nobody would tell me if any of the concierge level rooms were accessible...When I asked why all the secrecy I was told over and over that it was a question of security...Go figure...

Security???
Now what does a CL room have to do with Security?

pugdog
05-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Were you far from the main bldg?????
just the next building over from the main building.

dclfun
05-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I was also told it was a "security" issue when I asked where the HA rooms were located at the Yacht Club. I spoke directly to someone in special services and was told..and I quote.." we know where they are but we can't tell you.". I live nearby and frequent the parks so I stopped by the Yacht Club twice and asked the front desk where the rooms were located and if one was not occupied, could I have a look. Each time they were occupied but I was told to cancel my water view room rate and request a garden view as with the HA rooms there WERE NO water view rooms..which I had paid for! When we arrived to check in at the resort the rooms were not accessible to me- you would have to pole vault over the toilet to get to the shower/tub. The front desk agreed with me and moved us to the BCV's where I have already stayed as a DVC member. My goal was to try a new resort. This is how I found out that I can no longer be accomodated at the YC, BC, or Boardwalk as all their HA rooms are configured the same way. We just got back from a cruise on the Magic with pre stays at POFQ and post stay at Coronado. POFQ was wonderful-everything nearby and convenient and no queue lines to maneuver in at their food court. Coronado put me in the Ranchos area and we had a very long hike to the main building. Poor service dog on the hot concrete for over a mile walk...never again. ---Kathy

steffali
05-29-2006, 10:32 AM
It amazes me that in this day and age the resorts can get away with not being able to give a person in a wheelchair the same room options as everyone else gets!!! :furious:
Just becasue my daughter needs a roll in shower does not mean that we wouldn't enjoy a water view,castle view or conceirge level room!!!!

dclfun
05-30-2006, 06:50 AM
I have not yet gotten a reply to my letter regarding the accessible room location ( no concierge at Poly or any view other than "garden" or even a choice of buildings) written a week and a half ago. I don't know in what time frame to expect a reply. I do know that for myself, the resort is very important. For those of us who cannot make it through the parks all day due to physical or stamina issues, the resort is what "draws" us and we do enjoy the resort location and amenities. For some the resort isn't important at all..it's just a place to sleep. For myself, esp. due to my disability, the resort experience is paramount. ----Kathy

Juliah
05-30-2006, 06:44 PM
I absolutely agree that people with disabilities should be able to have the same views and the same opportunity for concierge at the Disney resorts as anyone else. Existing buildings are a bit of a gray area under the ADA, but resorts built since the ADA are not. Were any of the hotels people have referenced here built post-ADA?

As for room size at the Poly, I, too, am puzzled by dclfun's post. Maybe he or she has an unusually long or wide power chair?? We have stayed there in the roll-in shower rooms about half a dozen times. They are not only the largest rooms we have stayed in on site (including a standard BC room), they are the largest rooms we have stayed in anywhere. I have two teen DDs in power wheelchairs, and they can get around the room beautifully, except for the narrow area alongside the closets on the way into the room proper; since they cannot open the door, it is a bit tricky to try to hold it for them as they drive by (watch your toes!) The size of the room is one of the reasons we keep going back to the Polynesian.

steffali
05-31-2006, 06:21 AM
I have not yet gotten a reply to my letter regarding the accessible room location ( no concierge at Poly or any view other than "garden" or even a choice of buildings) written a week and a half ago. I don't know in what time frame to expect a reply. I do know that for myself, the resort is very important. For those of us who cannot make it through the parks all day due to physical or stamina issues, the resort is what "draws" us and we do enjoy the resort location and amenities. For some the resort isn't important at all..it's just a place to sleep. For myself, esp. due to my disability, the resort experience is paramount. ----Kathy

I also wrote 2 E-mails and the only response I have gotten is them thanking me for my letter and that someone will be getting back to me.....I'm still waiting :rolleyes1

steffali
05-31-2006, 06:24 AM
I absolutely agree that people with disabilities should be able to have the same views and the same opportunity for concierge at the Disney resorts as anyone else. Existing buildings are a bit of a gray area under the ADA, but resorts built since the ADA are not. Were any of the hotels people have referenced here built post-ADA?

THe POLY is an old resort however they DID just have renovations done and you would think they would have made it possible for all bldgs. to have a certain amount of rooms with roll in showers.

dclfun
05-31-2006, 06:31 AM
I know that Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk were built after the ADA and they do not have w/c accessible rooms on their concierge floor nor does the YC even have a "water view". BTW my chair is an adult narrow but it is very long so it's not as easy to turn without scraping something. I try to be really careful so as not to damage the walls or furniture. It was mainly the entrance into the room at the Poly and the distance between the beds and the armoire. This was in Rapa Nui. When I was nondisabled and stayed in what used to be Oahu ( now Tokelau) I found the room to be quite spacious. Steffali- you are doing better than me- I haven't even gotten a reply thanking me for my letter. Guess it's time to write again. ---Kathy

steffali
05-31-2006, 12:03 PM
o.k. here is the reply that I finally got today from WDW.
This still does not help me in any way find out why I am not able to get a CL room at the POLY with a roll in shower :furious: Am I asking for too much :confused3 :confused3

Dear Stephanie,

Thanks for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Your exciting WALT DISNEY WORLD vacation is right around the corner!

We are very pleased your family will be vacationing with us. We appreciate your desire to make your
visit comfortable and enjoyable!

For immediate asistance with accommodations that have tubs or walk-in showers, please contact our
main reservations department at:

1 (407) 934-7639

They will be happy to assist you with current availability and other Disney vacation options.

Daily operating hours are: 7:00am to 10:00pm Eastern Standard Time.

Many fond memories of your upcoming magical Disney experience! Have fun! See you real soon!

If we can further assist you, please contact us.

Include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Evelyn Johnson
WDW Online Communications

SueM in MN
05-31-2006, 08:19 PM
o.k. here is the reply that I finally got today from WDW.
This still does not help me in any way find out why I am not able to get a CL room at the POLY with a roll in shower :furious: Am I asking for too much :confused3 :confused3

Dear Stephanie,

Thanks for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

Your exciting WALT DISNEY WORLD vacation is right around the corner!

We are very pleased your family will be vacationing with us. We appreciate your desire to make your
visit comfortable and enjoyable!

For immediate asistance with accommodations that have tubs or walk-in showers, please contact our
main reservations department at:

1 (407) 934-7639

They will be happy to assist you with current availability and other Disney vacation options.

Daily operating hours are: 7:00am to 10:00pm Eastern Standard Time.

Many fond memories of your upcoming magical Disney experience! Have fun! See you real soon!

If we can further assist you, please contact us.

Include your full name, E-Mail address, and reservation number if applicable on all correspondence.

Thank you!

Sincerely,

Evelyn Johnson
WDW Online Communications
It doesn't appear as if anyone actually read your email. It just looks like the saw "wheelchair" and sent you a form letter.
When I got a similar reply in another situation, I sent a reply to the email and sort of basically said "excuse me, but I think I was misunderstood" and then reasked my question.

Good luck.

steffali
06-03-2006, 07:05 PM
It doesn't appear as if anyone actually read your email. It just looks like the saw "wheelchair" and sent you a form letter.
When I got a similar reply in another situation, I sent a reply to the email and sort of basically said "excuse me, but I think I was misunderstood" and then reasked my question.

Good luck.

Thanks I am going to send them another email and say that, I will let you know what response I get. :thumbsup2

steffali
06-04-2006, 06:33 PM
O.K. so I call up the phone number once again they put me on hold then proceed to tell me that the ONLY roll in shower rooms are located at the Rapa Nui ( which I already knew) I then asked the lady why the POLY did not feel that people with disabilities are worthy enough of a Concierge Level room or at least a room with a good view? Why are we limitied to Rapa Nui????? Her answer was that the POLY was built in the 70's and blah blah blah.... but I then told her they just went under a renovation why didn't they put this into consideration !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :furious:
Anyway, the bottom line was that they could find me other resorts that have CL rooms with a roll in shower. My daughter, who happens to be the one that is disabled, wants to stay at the POLY so another resort is not an option for us.
I guess we will go to the POLY into a far BLDG from the main house and I will cringe and bite my tounge as I watch people being able to stay in a concierge level room and enjoy their view and services :sad: :sad:
Sorry for this being so long but I am VERY BITTER!!!! :furious:

Juliah
06-05-2006, 12:05 AM
I completely understand your feelings, but I do want you to know that Rapa Nui is not a bad location, IMHO. It's not concierge, it's not water view, and it's not where you wanted to be, but it is close to the TTC with the ferry boat to MK, the monorail to EPCOT, and ticket windows. It's not a long walk from the quiet pool or the lobby--and it's a pleasant walk. It's also close to the laundry and the bus stop. And, as someone else said, it's very nice to have two wheelchair parking spots just outside the door of the building. Rapa Nui also has automatic doors. You are guaranteed to *not* look out at the parking lot, because all of the roll-in shower rooms are on the opposite side of the building. The view is really very pretty.

I hope you find Rapa Nui works out ok for you and that your family has a wonderful trip!

steffali
06-05-2006, 08:13 AM
I completely understand your feelings, but I do want you to know that Rapa Nui is not a bad location, IMHO. It's not concierge, it's not water view, and it's not where you wanted to be, but it is close to the TTC with the ferry boat to MK, the monorail to EPCOT, and ticket windows. It's not a long walk from the quiet pool or the lobby--and it's a pleasant walk. It's also close to the laundry and the bus stop. And, as someone else said, it's very nice to have two wheelchair parking spots just outside the door of the building. Rapa Nui also has automatic doors. You are guaranteed to *not* look out at the parking lot, because all of the roll-in shower rooms are on the opposite side of the building. The view is really very pretty.

I hope you find Rapa Nui works out ok for you and that your family has a wonderful trip!

Thank you !! I am sure that we will have a great time, it is just frustrating to know that we can not have the same choices as everyone else :sad2:

Juliah
06-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Thank you !! I am sure that we will have a great time, it is just frustrating to know that we can not have the same choices as everyone else :sad2:

Absolutely! With two daughters in wheelchairs, we live this every day--and it's somehow particularly aggravating when it's at one of my favorite places (not just WDW, but the Polynesian). I am extremely disappointed after hearing earlier that Hawaii was getting accessible rooms during the renovation to now hear that it didn't.

dclfun
06-05-2006, 09:02 AM
Well, I, for one, do NOT like the Rapa Nui building. For someone with a mobility challenge it is a LONG walk to the main building and in the heat I certainly wouldn't consider it a pleasant walk. I am fortunate to have a power chair so it's not a physical challenge for me but if it's raining it is a challenge to have to drive my chair so far in the rain to get back to the one and only building in which I am allowed. To me, each resort is an entity unto itself and to say concierge level rooms are present in other resorts has no bearing on the fact that it's not available at the resort at which I would choose to stay. Just my opinion. ---Kathy

steffali
06-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Well, I, for one, do NOT like the Rapa Nui building. For someone with a mobility challenge it is a LONG walk to the main building and in the heat I certainly wouldn't consider it a pleasant walk. I am fortunate to have a power chair so it's not a physical challenge for me but if it's raining it is a challenge to have to drive my chair so far in the rain to get back to the one and only building in which I am allowed. To me, each resort is an entity unto itself and to say concierge level rooms are present in other resorts has no bearing on the fact that it's not available at the resort at which I would choose to stay. Just my opinion. ---Kathy

I agree, they keep pushing Concierge Level rooms at the CR when I called WDW. It makes me feel unwatned at the POLY :sad2: but my DD has her heart set on the POLY. My DH will be pushing my DD in the wheelchair so he will probably be exhausted just from going from the Rapa Nui to the main house for the monorail :furious:
I wonder if there is someone I can write too????????

steffali
06-06-2006, 07:02 AM
O.K. here is my complaint for the day... I called the CR just to see if THEY had any 14th floor CL rooms with a roll in shower and they only have 1. WHich is fine, I would only need 1 room but of course no availability for the time we are planning to go.
So my complaint is this.... why do the monorail resorts not have handicapped acces. rooms for all levels ????? I think there should be more rooms and more choices for us. :furious:
Once again just venting..........
Thank you