PDA

View Full Version : Where to Go for ONE day outside of WDW

DISUNC
04-28-2006, 08:18 AM
The end of July, Myself & my 11 year old nephew will be taking one day off from our WDW adventure, where we are staying onsite.

Now here is my problem...Where should we go for that one day. I will have a car.

Universal Studios
Sea World
Kennedy Space Center
OR Somewhere else I didnt think of? :confused3

I need some suggestions here.

In advance, Thanks for your suggestions.

julandkrz18
04-28-2006, 08:34 AM
We love Gatorland.

spiceycat
04-28-2006, 09:57 AM
yes with an 11 year old boy - gatorland wins
http://www.gatorland.com/

unless he is into rollercoaster - then it might be IOA
http://www.universalorlando.com/ioa_index.html

crjack
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
One place given good reviews here is Wonderworks. We haven't been yet but have plans to go on this trip in July and my son is also 11.

The "Outta Control Comedy Magic" dinner show gets great reviews and is reasonably priced. We want to try it but are going to buy tickets through Ticketmania that also include admission and a game of lasertag.

My son loved Disney Quest so I am confident he will like this place. He'll have cousins with him as well so I think it will be fun.

Check out their website to see if it is something that you think will appeal to him.

We love, love Sea World and always spend a day there. We don't love the heat so for us the day at Wonderworks will be our break from the sun day.

Have fun!

crazelion
04-28-2006, 12:53 PM
IOA has the best ride called the Spiderman

buzz2400
04-28-2006, 12:55 PM
One day we ventured to Amazing Exotics, it was about 1 1/2 hours north of orlando. the highlight of the trip was up and close encounters with baby capuchian monkeys, a lemur, and another primate. My son and I still talk about it. It as a little pricey but it was something that we will never forget.

Karnak
04-28-2006, 01:04 PM
I'd spend the day at Seaworld, leaving in time to drive to Medieval Times (in Kissimmee) for dinner and the show there. (Seems to me like it starts at about 8:00 pm.) Nephew will love the show, and y'all will too. It's a fun evening. And the meal is good too. You get to eat with your hands, no silverware.

If you do decide to visit Medieval Times be sure to make advance reservations; and in my opinion, it's worth it to pay the small extra charge for seating in the first three rows.

To check it out: www.medievaltimes.com. or ... Phone: 1-888-WE-JOUST.

Enjoy.

ErikaM
04-28-2006, 01:59 PM
go to Sea World. It's fun, educational and totally different from other parks in the Orlando area. Fabulous animals and shows . Great entertainment and definatley value for money.

Robinrs
04-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Your 11yo nephew will love you forEVER if you take him to Islands of Adventure. My son is 13 and he's been going since he was 6 and it's his favorite place in the WORLD!

The park was designed with tween boys in mind... take my word for it, he'll love it!

HopperFan
04-28-2006, 03:15 PM
Islands of Adventure.

If he is REALLY into space then Kennedy or REALLY in marine life maybe Seaworld. But I really think he will love Islands of Adventure !

jdm
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
If you are taking a break from the parks..... definitely - Gatorland! We did Disney a few years ago and were so burned out from touring we almost cancelled our day to Gatorland. I'm so glad we didn't because we enjoyed it so much. It's a completely different experience. Very low stress, kind of woodsy and slow paced. I had two girls who at the time were 9 & 11 and they thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I've been to Kennedy Space Center and loved that too. But, again, if a break is what you are looking for, then you might not want to go there. If on the other hand you are just looking for something non-Disney then you'll enjoy it.

IOA and US were not my favorite parks but an 11 year old boy would probably love it. But-- another concrete jungle theme park with crowds and waits!!

We've done the Magic Show without going through Wonderworks and we did love that dinner show!

Have fun with whatever you choose.

Jenn

keishashadow
04-28-2006, 05:53 PM
How about the beach, state park @ port canaveral & you might be able to see one of the ships sail.

I'm sure he'd just luv universal.

Kennedy space ctr is a good way to sneak in some educational value, we really enjoyed it.

So much to do, so hard to choose...your nephew's a lucky guy!

DISUNC
04-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks Everyone....Keep them coming!!!!! :thumbsup2

WOW...Gatorland...I forgot all about that. I went there in 1975. Is that where they wrestle the alligators. I thought that was sooooooooo cool...I still do!

I also remember going to a Orange Grove '75 (quite possibly this was in Miami)...they showed you the groves & how they made orange juice! I remeber my friends Mom buying orange smelling perfume! :rotfl:

Yes He would LOVE IOA! He is a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEEEEE Rollercoaster freak...the more loops, twist, turns and steep hills THE BETTER!
(but COP scares him :crazy: ???????) I am leaning more towards a "non-park" thing...however it will be his choice. That kid is going to owe me BIG TIME! :rolleyes:

Kennedy Space Center I have never been too, neither has he! Just dont know if it is a whole Day thing!

I thought Wonderworks were for preschoolers?

Sea World is up there too. They use to have one in Aurora Ohio...went there alot. They closed it a few years ago. I miss it!

We are definately doing the Water parks & DQ (before it closes)! Also we are taking another day off to visit my HS Best friend (the one w/ the mother who smells like oranges, mentioned above) They all live in Tampa now. He & his sons rarely go to WDW (nutty huh?)

Again...Thanks so much! :goodvibes

DISUNC
04-28-2006, 09:06 PM
How about the beach, state park @ port canaveral & you might be able to see one of the ships sail.

So much to do, so hard to choose...your nephew's a lucky guy!

I have many friends/family who live at the Beaches (NJ/LI) we are there ALOT! Seen waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to many ships sail...without me on them. (I worked @ the Battery in lower manhattan for over 20 years)

Yes my nephew is lucky...BUT I AM MUCH MORE SO! He is alot of Fun.

Thanks

minijeanie
04-28-2006, 10:04 PM
Without a doubt IOA....

He will love you forever
totally different experience than WDW

actually better in some instances

spiceycat
04-29-2006, 01:02 AM
is this the orange grove you remember?

http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/

most of the orange groves along US 27 are gone - replaced by condo and houses- plus malls...

DISUNC
04-29-2006, 01:37 AM
is this the orange grove you remember?

http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/

most of the orange groves along US 27 are gone - replaced by condo and houses- plus malls...

I dont think so. There was a factory, and they showed you how they made orange juice also. It was a big sterile looking building. I also went to Miami in 1975, it may have been there. Not sure.

In 1975, Bing Crosby & his family had a commercial for Orange juice (not sure if it was Minute Maid or Tropicana)...Annnnnnnnnnnyhow...in one part of the commercial his daughter (who grew up & shot JR) was standing next to a orange tree pointing to a orange & asked "Are they Valencias?"...In a very very very peculiar way! They ran this commercial 100's of times throughout the day.

I remember (being 15 @ the time with all other 14 & 15 years olds) we kept busting the tourguide and asking "Are they Valencias"...over & over & over again...In the same manner Crosby's daughter did in the commercial. It was so stupid!!!!! But being 15 this was just the funniest thing we ever did. Now I am 46 & I am sitting here still laughing at this stupidity!

Sorry if anyone don't think this is funny! But you had to be there! :rotfl2:

What is even sadder (this site could be very cathartic) is that even to this day...I can't pick up a orange and not say "are they Valencias?" and laugh. And no one knows what the H**L I am talking about.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

tinkerdorabelle
05-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Wow all of those sound great but if you haven't been to Universal yet, I would pick that first, Universal Studios is fabulous, then Seaworld or the others, I guess it depends on what your nephew is in to. But I would probably choose Universal.