PDA

View Full Version : Any other Disney Dads out there...?

記衷oe
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
sorry I posted this in the wrong board... oh well, other one wasn't getting any replies... so I restored it:

I gotta admit - I'm pretty much a Disney freak, probably fit in fairly well on this board... but most of the posters on here seem to be Moms or women. I am a 28 year old male that is in love with everything Disney - and let me tell you - that doesn't exactly go over very well with a lot of people, especially my wife... I'm not sure why, maybe it makes me seem immature, or whatever... I don't know.

I like it all - podcasts, the characters, books, movies, the parks (especially), music (listen to Live365 all day at work), video and audio ride-thrus, you name it - if it's Disney I'm lovin' it. I especially love Disney "stuff" created in the "Walt era". And I share my everything Disney with my two daughters who love it just the same...

But then there's my wife - she's not all that crazy about Disney - in fact she could care less about Disney - and "goes along just for the ride"...

I guess I was just wondering if there were any other men that are as infatuated with Disney as I am, where their "other" just doesn't get it...

--Joe

DisneyDadof3
04-25-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm a 32 year old husband and father of 3 - LOVE IT

dwaters
04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Yup. Though I'm lucky to have a wife who "gets it".

Being a fan of Disney is pretty mainstream.
Guys can get away with Mickey watches, ties, polo shirts, etc.
Try telling other adults you still follow pro wrestling or enter sweepstakes (by mail and online) as a hobby.

cdntourguide
04-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I have been a Disney fan since the age of 4, now am 55.
for business I travel 24weeks of the year. When I take a holiday, I only want to go to either WDW or Disneyland. Needless to say this causes all sorts of issues at home. Now I find that I go to WDW and DL on my own, but that is okay.
:thumbsup2 :wave2:

Nuchi15697
04-25-2006, 03:36 PM
:thumbsup2 43 Year Old Hockey Dad / Disney Freak pixiedust:

Mickeygolf
04-25-2006, 03:39 PM
45 year old dad to DS7, DS5 and DD5 and I'm the Disney nut in our house. Fortunately, my wife loves Disney almost as much as I do. But I do all the planning and make all the arrangements. I talked her into the DVC, but it wasn't a hard sell. The kids seem to be enjoying just as much as Mom and Dad ( that's an understatement by the way).

Our families think we're nuts, but we don't care, it's just too much fun. We love all the movies, souvenirs, resorts, and of course the Parks. Can't get enough of em...

記衷oe
04-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Being a fan of Disney is pretty mainstream. Guys can get away with Mickey watches, ties, polo shirts, etc.

I'm glad you feel that way, dwaters... but I don't know - I wore a disney hooded sweatshirt to a "get together" with my friends and their families - and got made fun of... and then another time I got grilled for having a Disney background on my desktop by friends... My wife makes fun of me all the time with friends about how I listen to Disney music on the computer... I don't know, maybe it's just my age. It doesn't really bother me - I was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat...

--Joe

wdwguide
04-25-2006, 04:11 PM
/wave

Though my 6 yo daughter hasn't yet made the distinction between mass-produced Disney fare and true artistry, like the work of Carl Barks or Don Rosa, yet. Neither has my wife... But we all (obviously) agree on going to WDW about once a month :)

nalabell
04-25-2006, 04:12 PM
I am a Disney Dad on two kids. My wife likes Disney and loves to go, but I'm the one who really gets into all the planning and Disney "stuff". A lot of our friends used to give me grief until they asked me to plan their Disney trip. Now everyone is jealous of my wife that I make great Disney trips. I have planned about 20 friend and family trips over the years and all have had a great time. Do your thing thing-who cares about what others think.

Epscot
04-25-2006, 04:17 PM
45 year old dad to DS7, DS5 and DD5 and I'm the Disney nut in our house. Fortunately, my wife loves Disney almost as much as I do. But I do all the planning and make all the arrangements.

My story is pretty similar. I'm a 37 year old dad to DS7 & DS3, and I too am the Disney nut in our house. My wife had been to WDW twice when we got married. Now she loves Disney almost as much as me, but she doesn't get into planning very much. She leaves all of that to me, and truly appreciates my efforts. We go every year, with me doing all the planning and making the arrangments. We haven't bought into DVC, but I think about it from time to time.

fireman17
04-25-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi my name is________(insert your name here) and I'm a Disney-holic :disrocks:
I'm a 45 year old father of three kids and a career firefighter :firefight so you can imagine the ribbing I take at work about any time anything that has to do with Disney is on TV.
But, when one of the brothers plans a trip to Disney who do they come to for advice? Me, that's who.
I am a certified Disney World nut :crazy: I too listen to Live365 the moment I get home. When we sit down to dinner it's on, I drive my DW ::MinnieMo nuts with it sometimes. I have just about all the DVD's about Walt Disney World but, I'm sure I'm missing one or two.
My DW is the Disny planner and without the effort she puts forth we wouldn't have the wonderful trips we do and not spend a fortune doing it.
We are not going until November this year for the hoilday season :santa: including the Disney cruise and MVMCP :santa: party: and I can't wait. This will be our first trip during the holiday season so we are all very excited to go to say the least :Pinkbounc :banana: :cool1:

SnackyStacky
04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
27-year-old, father-to-be of one, and I'm pretty much exactly like you OP! Sickly obsessed with Disney. :)

LuluLovesDisney
04-25-2006, 05:31 PM
Though I am female, I just wanted to tell you that my boyfriend (age 25) just purchased a *life size* statue of Mickey Mouse. We are planning on a Disney fairytale wedding and DVC membership one day. You can be young, male and a Disney fanatic! Nothing wrong with you! You have something that makes you happy! Enjoy it!

DisneyHoneyMoon
04-25-2006, 05:55 PM
I'm a 25 year old Disney addict. I'm not a father yet though. I regularly have people give me funny looks when they notice Mickey Mouse is on my watch. My wife isn't a Disney Hater but she also isn't a Disney addict either. I grew up going to WDW every summer. She resists a little when we're not at WDW but once we're there she gets into the Disney spirit. I'm hoping to convert her to the Disney way but it may take some more time.

DisneyHoneyMoon <--- as you can tell by the name, I got my way and we disneymooned at WDW.

highland3
04-25-2006, 06:05 PM
My name is Bill, and I am a 40-year old Disney nut!

I had never been to WDW until a year ago and had absolutely NO interest in going there. Then DW decided we should take the kids. I grudgingly agreed and then........ I discovered the DIS board!

I spent a week at the world and spend (according to DW) waaaaaay too much time on the DIS boards every day.

I'll be dragging the family back to WDW in May of 2008 :goodvibes and can't wait. I'm saving money and getting ideas together.

This ends my DIS man-rant!!!

Welcome to the DIS guys!!! :earsboy:

Cannot_Wait_4Disney
04-25-2006, 06:17 PM
I'm CW4D and I'm a Mickey and the gangaholic, Princessaholic and Mrs Incredibleaholic Disney Dad.

foolishmortal
04-25-2006, 06:21 PM
30 years old, have live365 pay membership just for all the disney channels, have Tower of Terror background, play a ToT sim every day, am a member of 3 different disney forums, have Haunted Mansion as a ringtone, and have a wife that thinks I am crazy...lol, but she likes wdw too.

Forgot to mention I even bought ride through dvd's on Ebay to help plan :thumbsup2 our trips.

wacampbell
04-25-2006, 06:27 PM
Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. My father has always been a Disney Dad. As a child we went every two years since I can remember and even now we go to Disneyland or Disneyworld when we can. It is still one of his favorite places and luckily my step mother loves it as much as he does.

Micca
04-25-2006, 06:31 PM
Another Disney Dad checking in. My kids are grown, and one is a CM(seasonal) :ccat: Last movie watched: 101 Dalmatians--BY MYSELF. Last music loaded onto my Ipod: WDW area music. Currently wearing: A WDW sweatshirt from 2000 :blush: Currently drinking: a martini in a WDW glass from Burger King :teeth: Virtually every shirt I own has some Disney logo on it(the dress shirts are the most subtle). My office has a Disney clock that has :mickeyjum :donald: :goofy: talking at the top of every hour. Fortunately DW is into this whole Disney thing too, maybe not quite as crazy as I am. :earsboy:

LUVMICKEY
04-25-2006, 07:42 PM
Yes, I am female but, my husband is one of the biggest Disney freaks I know. And I am just as bad. We have a group of about 40 family members that are as bad as we are. Literally every room of our house has something Disney in it. Not to mention, our kitchen, bathroom, office at home and our bedroom are total Disney. At Christmas time we are decorated in total Disney. My DH usually wears a shirt everyday to work that has a Disney Character on it. He also has Disney pictures everywhere in his office at work. It is so done up Disney that when some of the other employees bring their kids into work they bring them to the Disney office. And he listens to Disney music all day at work(very quietly). So see, your not alone at all, and it's so much fun to be this kind of freaky. By the way, my DH is 58 and he's always been this way.

Michele

DJR
04-25-2006, 08:07 PM
I'm 54 and have a DW (50) and DD (16) who are equally obsessed. We are DVC members since '93 and recently celebrated my DW and DD's burthday at WDW in February. Unfortunately, it looks like it might be a while before we get back as we will probably be doing the college tour circuit next summer
:(

Oh, well we are anxoiusly awaiting her going to college so DW and I can go to the F&W festival :cool1:

Dave

okduke
04-25-2006, 08:22 PM
Well, I wasn't a Disney Dad . . . until 3 weeks ago. Got sent to a conference at the Dolphin . . . and I am hooked. Though my wife and kids are looking forward to the trip, they don't understand the stack of Disney books (puchased, library, borrowed) that is sitting next to my recliner. But, I'm certain that they'll get it within minutes of our arrival in Sept 06. I already feel like the kid that can't sleep the night before a big vacation . . . and we aren't leaving for 4 months.

Man, woman, child, young, old . . . I can't see how it matters. The place is special.

Colorado DISers
04-25-2006, 08:34 PM
:teeth: Disney Dad, 47, and proud of it! The guys at work think I'm out there :crazy: because I read the UG and Passports at work in my spare time. Just can't get enough prep time in for the next trip to Disney. DW and DD's are also huge Disney fanatics. I'm the one that sets up all the trips and loves every minute of it. We are a faithful Disney :grouphug: family and shall always be (even if we do try Universal :rolleyes1 for the first time this coming trip)

SuperGurl
04-25-2006, 08:41 PM
I'm a proud 28 year old Disney Mom. I too love vintage Disney and especially love to collect Mickey mouse items from the 1920's, 30's & 40's I'm hoping to convert my husband and kids to Disney addicts. They have never been to WDW and they don't seem as excited as I am about going but I know that will change. It only takes 1 trip. Hey, there is nothing wrong with you at all. :thumbsup2

記衷oe
04-25-2006, 09:43 PM
30 years old, have live365 pay membership just for all the disney channels, have Tower of Terror background, play a ToT sim every day, am a member of 3 different disney forums, have Haunted Mansion as a ringtone, and have a wife that thinks I am crazy...lol, but she likes wdw too.

Forgot to mention I even bought ride through dvd's on Ebay to help plan :thumbsup2 our trips.

That's funny... for ringtones I have Grim Grinning Ghosts, Peter Pan's Flight Queue, How Do you Do (Splash Mountain), and Yo Ho Yo Ho... People look at me like I'm nuts when my phone rings to "Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirate's life for me...".

It's all good though, Disney has really become a hobby of mine, and I enjoy it...

I am currently searching for the "Boo To You" 2005 Halloween Parade audio from MNSSHP... if anyone knows where I can find it I would really appreciate some insight... I LOVE that parade audio - and I only heard it once (live) and I'm dying to hear it again...

Thanks for all the replies - I knew there had to be some others out there like me - I just don't know anyone personally so I had to ask...

--Joe

LuluLovesDisney
04-25-2006, 10:28 PM
That's funny... for ringtones I have Grim Grinning Ghosts, Peter Pan's Flight Queue, How Do you Do (Splash Mountain), and Yo Ho Yo Ho... People look at me like I'm nuts when my phone rings to "Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirate's life for me...".

It's all good though, Disney has really become a hobby of mine, and I enjoy it...

I am currently searching for the "Boo To You" 2005 Halloween Parade audio from MNSSHP... if anyone knows where I can find it I would really appreciate some insight... I LOVE that parade audio - and I only heard it once (live) and I'm dying to hear it again...

Thanks for all the replies - I knew there had to be some others out there like me - I just don't know anyone personally so I had to ask...

--Joe

I've got the Mickey Mouse March!

bubba73
04-25-2006, 11:11 PM
I am a Disney Dad and proud of it. I have more fun planning the trips to Disney than the rest of the family has actually going. I love it. I am either looking at one of my DVD's, my DisneyWorld Explorer CD, or I am on this board almost the whole time I am at home. Anything to get ready and be prepared for a great trip.

schnerk
04-25-2006, 11:21 PM
Thank goodness there are others out there! I am a 28 year old father of 2, and I am a huge Disney Fan! I love the movies, the parks the shows, you name it, I dig it. I am also addicted to VMK. I say addicted because I play it at night when everyone else is still asleep. :)

It is pretty tough because other than loving the mouse, I am a huge Bubba. I like to drink beer, watch hockey and football, and BBQ.

Is it bad to have kids just to have an excuse to want to go to WDW every year instead of Cancun?

Alex

schnerk
04-25-2006, 11:22 PM

--Joe

My phone plays the Main Street Electrical Light Parade. Great for meatings, libraries and any other quiet occasions...

:)

Pea-n-Me
04-25-2006, 11:30 PM
My DH does not post but he lurks. It is not unusual for him to describe to me over dinner the pictures on the Disney Resort/DCL/Disney Picture of the Day threads, then show me the actual pictures later on.

Many of his favorite tee shirts are ones I've bought him on our trips. Even on Disney cruises, his tie and some of his dress shirts are nice Disney designs. He finds it a lot of fun wear these things and see others wearing them also, but as he says, he's secure enough in his manhood to not let any ribbing bother him :goodvibes (though if you saw him, you'd think anyone would be :crazy: to try, LOL).

It was really funny a couple of weeks ago. Our dog was going nuts in the car over another dog, and she broke the little hula lady from the Polynesian that he had on the dashboard of his truck. I later found it in a vise with glue on it - it was bent way beyond repair, but he was trying to fix it. :( I guess I'll have to buy him another. :rotfl:

DISUNC
04-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Count me in for ALL THE ABOVE reasons!!!!! I also have a Dis Brother(who is a dad/Grandpa) & Dis Nephews!

It is ONLY the MALES in our family who are Dis fanatics.

The woman folk idea of 'fun' is just laying on a beach!!!!!! :sad2:

JayPS
04-25-2006, 11:55 PM
44 yo DD father of two. We all love it! Been hooked since mom & dad took me to WDW around 1973. I remember for years leading up to that (had to be late '60's) watching Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights (before Bonanza which my Dad and brothers were waiting to watch). Anyway, on Wonderful World of Disney, they would occasionally show updates on the construction at WDW so I think I could fairly say that my "interest" goes back to the single digit ages. When we went that first time, we stayed at the Contemporary. Wow, what a trip. It's hard to imagine today that back then it was just the MK, Contemporary and Polynesian.

Ok, so do I sound like I'm into it? Yup and we're going again soon for second trip with our own kiddies. I can't wait! :banana:

P.S. thanks mom & dad :)

ZIPBAGS
04-26-2006, 12:00 AM
I am a 37yr old father of 3 (DD 11, DD 8 & DS 3). I am not as obsessed as the OP. But, I can go to Disney every month...Sadly, I only go an average of once a year. My wife likes Disney, but was never a big fan. I was lucky to get her to go for a 3 night stay. She hated going commando. But, I finally convinced her to go for 7 nights last year, with the requirement that we not rush around. Well, she loves it now. And thanks to the free dining program we are headed back this August for 6 nights at the Contemporary.

Luckily, my kids are big fans also. :thumbsup2 :banana:

mjkaferle5
04-26-2006, 07:11 AM
36 - Father to 4 boys (8,5,5,10 months)

I am doing all of the planning for our trip. I love doing it and my wife says she will just go along with whatever I plan!

tmt martins
04-26-2006, 08:04 AM
40 years old Total Disney NUT..

DD is following in my footsteps and DW is coming along .
I have the HM entrance room speel as my rigntone for messages that I get all day long.Wallpapers on on Computer,blackberry ,and cell.

I go to DL and WDW every chance I get (sometimes solo ,sorry kid).I was lucky the past 5 years to be playing Paintball and playing at WWoS so another trip excuse .I stopped plating so bought DVC to keep going.

I check the Dis most of the day just to find the nice TR and Pics.

Others don't get it but I could care less .I like the ones that say I could be spending my money on better things like the bars every friday.I ask them what they did 2 years ago and they can't remember I can remember something from every trip to the World and you just can't beat that.

declansdad
04-26-2006, 08:12 AM
Count me in. I didn't get to go until I was just about 40 but I am hopping for many more trips in our future. I have even manged to use Disney in some of the classes that I teach.

Likely both my dw and ds(5) are crazy about Disney too. DS can almost beat everyone at the Disney Scene It game.

tmt martins
04-26-2006, 08:19 AM
--Joe

I have all 15 min of it on cell Mp3 player it's like a 16m file .

This place also had it but he has exceded his bandwith for now but it should be fixed soon.http://www.atlantisattitude.com/audio/Audio/

Mr.Disney
04-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Hi Joe,
I am a 32 year old father of 2 who LOVES anything Disney, but my wife loves it too. Sorry to hear that the wife isn' t a huge fan. Maybe with enough visits to the world you can convert her!!
Goodluck,
Carl

Kitts21
04-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Hey evryone, I'm also a HUGE dis freak :cool1: :banana: :thumbsup2. Just can't seem to get enough. It is good to know that we are not alone. after reading this post I need to know where everyone has got the Dis. ring tones from, and how do you get to the music channel (live365). We are a famliy of four Dis freaks DW(30) DS(11) DD(4) and my self(30), non of us can ever get enough Dis..............We also converted my DW parents into Dis freaks they are both over 50, and proud Dis GP. They were so hooked on it after there first trip last year they went in with us on DVC, so we have many more years to enjoy the "MAGIC" :wizard:

tmt martins
04-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Hey evryone, I'm also a HUGE dis freak :cool1: :banana: :thumbsup2. Just can't seem to get enough. It is good to know that we are not alone. after reading this post I need to know where everyone has got the Dis. ring tones from, and how do you get to the music channel (live365). We are a famliy of four Dis freaks DW(30) DS(11) DD(4) and my self(30), non of us can ever get enough Dis..............We also converted my DW parents into Dis freaks they are both over 50, and proud Dis GP. They were so hooked on it after there first trip last year they went in with us on DVC, so we have many more years to enjoy the "MAGIC" :wizard:

I got my ringtones from NEXTPIMP.com There is also DISNEY MOBILE that has them for most cell phones.I also get several PODCAST from Itunes(you don't need an Ipod to get all the good stuff ).My cell is a Mp3 player as well so it converts some rings that way as well and lets me carry my music around with me.

denver87
04-26-2006, 09:23 AM
I'm a 47 year old father of one DD (16)

We've taken 8 solo trips to Disneyworld together since she was 7 years old and even though everyone in the family thinks we're crazy for going to WDW every year, we laugh at them and have an unbelieveable great time!

Sadly, she's at the age now where she has other interest and we haven't been to the world since 2004.

Foe
04-26-2006, 09:32 AM
31 year old father of 2 here.

Well, I don't have children, but I am the father of a beautiful cat and dog. Does that count? My wife and I both love Disney, but I'm the one who gets all Gung-Ho on these boards, planning, internet searching, etc.

Total freak when it comes to Disney World. Not so much when it comes to movies, music, etc. though.

Kick Save
04-26-2006, 10:36 AM
I'm a 35 year old dad hooked on Disney. My wife is into it also, it was the destination of our honeymoon. :) But now, both boys (3 and 7) are hooked, too. Like the OP, I listen to Live365 quite often, download many podcasts, read Disney planning books, etc. (No ringtone on the phone, though, too big of a hockey fan so the Hockey Night in Canada theme is my ring tone. :) )

I don't take a lot of heat for it, though. Took a little bit when I played in a hockey scrimmage with a bunch of friends in my Donald's Destroyers jersey, but that was about it. The rest of the time they're asking me how best to get around the World when they get there.

But, I'm not happy unless I'm planning our next trip to Orlando. Right now, I've got three in the works...surprise trip in August for the boys, our next "planned" trip in December, and I just found out I'm going to a conference at the Dolphin in a few weeks so the Mrs is flying down with me for that and we'll have a mini-vacation at the Mouse. :)

I'm definitely aflicted!

miclcon
04-26-2006, 11:01 AM
No, you're not alone. I'm 37 yr. old husband with and DS8, DD5, DS2.5. We love disney and try to get there once a year. AP holders since 2002. pirate:

philaround
04-26-2006, 11:41 AM
My name is Phil and I'm a 59 year old Disney nut.

I always was into Disney from the first time I saw Uncle Walt on T.V. When he annouced Disneyland I thought it was the greatest thing ever but was resigned that I would probably never see it. Back in the 50's not too many regular people went on trips of more than 200 to 300 miles, so I was sure I would never see it. Well I still have never seen Disneyland, but I have lost count of the number of times I have been to WDW. My wife and family like WDW very much but are no where near as fanatical as I am. I am the planner and scheduler for all our trips and 2 years ago I finaly convinced my DW that we needed AP's. I love it when on every new trip to WDW my wife tells me that "This is the Best trip we have ever had to WDW." I don't know how long I can keep topping myself.

ryanmilla
04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
Great thread Joe and CHEERS to all of us Disney Dads and husbands.

I'm a 32 yr old Disney Dad of 2, DD4 and DS2. My DW loves Disney as well, but not as much as me. She normally does all of our social planning, except when it comes to WDW. She normally just sits back and lets me do everything, which I love. However, even though I could probably go back to WDW for every vacation, she likes to do other things as well, so we go back once every year or two. Luckily, we were both convinced to buy into DVC, so now I know we will at least be going every other year if not more.

But like everyone else, I love ALL things Disney; characters, movies, parks, etc...Since I work in NYC, sometimes I have to head up to the Disney store here to get my fix.

But I can contribute my Disney fanatic tendencies directly to my Dad. My parents started taking my brother and I when we were really young. Now, that they are retired they head down a few times a year. I was even able to convince him to buy into DVC. But like my DW, my mom is not as fanatic as my Dad and I. :confused3 What are ya going to do.

Anyway, ROCK ON Disney Dads! :thumbsup2

Jim from Jersey
04-26-2006, 01:03 PM
36 year old Disney fan here! I have a 3 y.o. daughter who loves Disney and a wife who "likes" Disney. I have a wall in my game room covered in Disney vacation pictures, memorabilia, signs, and pins. I am the Disney vacation planner and although I get made fun of, everyone in the family knows that my planning makes the vacation every time. Finally, last year, after a few years of pleading, we bought into DVC. Definately the best move I've made in a long time - guarantees me a WDW vacation just about every year for the next 48 years!

Calvinosaurus
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
YEAH! Count me in! I am a new Disney Dad. My son is only 6 weeks old and I can't wait to take him to WDW. :banana: As you can see in my signature, I have been a WDW fan since my folks took me when I was in the second grade. The obsession never went away and to this day I have a large storage box filled with every guidebook, magazine, park map, postcard, whatever we accumulated dating back to the early 1970s. Is that sick or what? :confused3

The memories of those family trips to Florida are some of the happiest of my life and it is going to be great to make new memories with my boy someday. That's really what it's all about for me. And I think that's what Walt Disney had in mind when he built Disneyland and WDW.

My lovely DW had never been to WDW before our May 2001 trip and she didn't think she would enjoy it. :sad2: But knowing all too well about my Disney obsession, she relented and said we could go. After a fantastic vacation at POR, she came to understand what my obsession was all about (well, mostly.) One wonderful day, a few months later, she said those three little words I had been longing to hear.... "I miss Mickey." :wizard: So... after a few more trips you could say we were a certified (or certifiable) Disney couple. And now we're a full-fledged Disney Family. :woohoo: Life is good.

Great thread! We Disney Dads gotta stick together. :thumbsup2

PolyPal
04-26-2006, 07:02 PM
Yup, Im a Disney Dad, too! I do all of the planning for our WDW trips, make the ADR's, get the family up and to the parks at opening, plan the itinerary, etc. My wife thinks I'm a little nuts, but this past trip even the kids started to appreciate the planning that goes into our WDW vacations.

When my first son was born, I was in the delivery room with tears streaming down my face. My wife thought something was wrong with our baby! I explained to her that the baby was fine and my dream had come true - we finally had a child to take to Disney World!

I remember standing on Main Street for the fireworks during the 25th Anniversary celebration, my 4 year old on my shoulders. The lights dimmed, the music swelled, and the narrator made the speech about us all being family and remembering the magic...I still get choked up! :blush:

Definitely a Disney Dad all the way!

jenrose66
04-26-2006, 08:21 PM
but I'm a soon to be mom :) Anyway...you can be friends with my husband!! He can use a pro Disney male influence. He tolerates my Disney addiction, but he isn't as passionate about it as me. He loves to say we aren't going to be one of those families that goes to Disney every year, that we need to try new things, in the meantime, I'm trying to save some money so that we can take the baby on a trip when he's around 9 monthsold.

scoolover
04-26-2006, 08:34 PM
My wife is an Ex and I still have to hear it. I am not crazy Disney but I do get really into the planning and the vacation its self. I am trying to groom the DS4 and hopefully, I can have a disney partner in crime. Take care

AndyMcV
04-26-2006, 09:18 PM
....I guess I was just wondering if there were any other men that are as infatuated with Disney as I am, where their "other" just doesn't get it...

Wheeeew.... I'm not alone. :)

Hey Joe

Good question to ask! I'm a 37 year old Dad to a 6 year old boy and 2 year old daughter. I've been hooked on Disney since our first trip as a family in 2000. Our trip in 2003 made sure I became a huge Disney fan. My wife likes Disney too but I don't think it brings out the inner child in her as much as it does me. I love everything Disney does. I'm always amazed at the level of detail and commitment they go to entertain us.

Cheers,
Andy

AndyMcV
04-26-2006, 09:27 PM
...I'll be dragging the family back to WDW in May of 2008 :goodvibes and can't wait. I'm saving money and getting ideas together...

Hey Bill, great to see a fellow Canadian on here! :) We too are planning our next trip (actually dreaming of our next trip) in a few years.

Andy

AndyMcV
04-26-2006, 09:35 PM
....for ringtones I have Grim Grinning Ghosts, Peter Pan's Flight Queue, How Do you Do (Splash Mountain), and Yo Ho Yo Ho... People look at me like I'm nuts when my phone rings to "Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirate's life for me...".

Now THAT's funny, Joe. :rotfl:

GrimGhost
04-26-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm glad you feel that way, dwaters... but I don't know - I wore a disney hooded sweatshirt to a "get together" with my friends and their families - and got made fun of... and then another time I got grilled for having a Disney background on my desktop by friends... My wife makes fun of me all the time with friends about how I listen to Disney music on the computer... I don't know, maybe it's just my age. It doesn't really bother me - I was just curious if anyone else was in the same boat...

--Joe
You just described me to the "T". I don't let any of it bother me at all. Many people understand the Disney Magic...I just wish I was married to someone who got it the way I do!!

MJMcBride
04-26-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm a 36 yo father of two little ones. I love Disney (obviously, or else why would I be posting here, right?). So does my wife, its where we went on the old honeymoon. My kids, especially the oldest, is really starting to get into it too. Can't wait for our next trip this Fall.

PrincessNED
04-26-2006, 11:22 PM
I too am addicted to the DIS

35 yr old Dad to a princess(5) trying to make it perfect for the first trip.

DW only comment is " who took my husband? You don't plan anything out any other time!!"

My only fear - she might expect me to follow through with checklists, plans, etc on stuff around the house when we get back. :teeth:

Hibernians
04-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Disney Dad Here - Last year was our 1st family trip to WDW with our 4 young kids and we still have not stopped talking about it. After the trip, I convinced my wife that we should join DVC and she went along w/my crazy idea, so we became DVC members in January; so now we are Disney for Life.
She let's me do all the planning, ressies, etc. Its nuts how much I read up on this stuff on wesbites likes this and the travel guide books that I buy too.
But I'm convinced that all our family trips to WDW will be some of the best times of our lives and we'll have these great memories... Disney is the way to go -

DONALD38
04-27-2006, 01:15 AM
Disney Dad here and always grew up around Disney, DW loves Disney as well.
We have a 14 month old and can't wait to go to WDW. We decided though that we will not go for at least 6-7 years. This way he will be 6-7 years old and our 2nd child we are planning will be 4-5 years old. At that age they will be able to remember things more and hopefully there will so many new changes for DW and I to enjoy. :donald: :tigger: :simba:

boscoj
04-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Count another one! 41 year old dad with a 5 yo son. Like a lot of previous posters, luckily have a wife who also happens to be one also...actually that was one of my "requirements" when we first started dating 15 years ago :rotfl2: . Didn't really confess to her that that was one of the deal breakers to years later.

vince971
04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Another male Disney junkie here. Lucky to have a wife and 3 kids as nuts about Disney as I am. At first my friends gave me a hard time about going every year but that never bothered me. Some of my friends and family go to the Jersey shore every summer(which I used to do). We go to Disney every year. Gotta do what makes you happy!!

Spartan
04-27-2006, 03:57 PM
Yep, we're out here. Disney Dad to (soon to be) 3. My wife enjoys the trips, but I do all the planning. She just couldn't believe that we were eating for free last year when I planned around the free dining deal. I didn't become a nut until we stayed onsite for the first time about 10 years or so ago. That's when I realized what a real vacation was all about. My 5 yo son is also a nut. He believes in all the magic, and out of the blue strikes up converstations with me about his favorite rides, and his own cool ideas for future rides. We just recently adopted a little girl from Korea, and I have another daughter on the way due in August. I can't wait to show my little princesses Disney, but it won't be this year. My wife doesn't want to go this year, and I don't blame her. Life is a little hectic right now, and soon to get even moreso later in the summer. I'm really hoping that she'll be ok with me taking our son on a father/son trip later in the year, as long as things are going good with the girls. I just can't seem to let the idea go, nor do I have the heart to tell my son that we can't go this year (he's gone every year since he's been 1.5).

I also listen to Live365 (secretly as I don't really want to explain to fellow co-workers why I'm listening to audio of rides) while I'm at work, as well as lurk around here for the last 6 or 7 years.

jimmalru80
04-27-2006, 04:12 PM
48 year old Disney Dad here. And I can't get enough of WDW. I do all the planning, set all the ADR's, craft our schedules, etc. I'm the guy reading the books, listening to the streaming on the computer and posting on the boards. And I like it that way. DW enjoys our vacations very much, but prefers to follow the plans I have formulated. It works out well for us.

記衷oe
04-27-2006, 07:41 PM

I finally got my hands on the entire audio!! I got it from www.dc-torrents.com (http://www.dc-torrents.com) if anyone's interested... it's just as good as I remember!!

If anyone wants to PM me I could probably skype it to you, it's pretty large though - 45MB, it has all the parade source audio plus the Happy HalloWishes fireworks (not sure if that's 2005 though)...

I'm so excited!! I just had to share that with someone...

--Joe

JoeEpcotRocks
04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm the one who convinced our family to join the Disney Vacation club and have been planning our June 2006 vacation for about 15 months. :sunny: with nearly daily updates to the master plan. :rolleyes1

Certifiable Disney Dad nutter. :cool2:

rafiki
04-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Another Disney dad here. I'm not quite as fanatic as many of you, but I have lurked around here since the beginning. My wife is more of a fan of all things Disney, but I am the trip planner. My daughters are 16 and 14 and we have gone to WDW almost once a year during their lives, as well as DL once. My wife and I made lots of trips before DD's were around, both to DL as a child and WDW later. I hate to think how long ago it was when I first went to DL, must have been just a few years after it opened.

Actually, I don't plan much of anything anymore; we've been there enough that we mostly just wing it. We tend to focus on the rides anyway. We're going to our sixth MNSSHP this year.

We were talking about it the other day and DD16 said she she liked going there because when she goes into the parks "It just makes me feel happy." That's the Disney magic.

Karibeth19
04-28-2006, 10:16 AM
My 35 yr old DH is a HUGE Disney nut; in fact, all three of us are. I'm in charge of planning the vacations, DH is in charge of planning the road trips and hotel reservations along the way (He's my very own Clark Griswold!). We have vacation pictures all over our house, and listen to all the WDW music and ride audio I have on my iPod over the FM modulator anytime we're in the car.

DH is such a Disney freak, he came up with his ultimate retirement plan during one of our trips. While waiting for a boat at the WS entrance to Epcot, we met a retired couple in their 60's who both work in the Test Track gift shop. They talked about how much they loved their jobs and loved WDW. In fact, it was their day off, and they had spent it at Epcot!!!! Hearing how happy they were gave DH the idea for his grand plan. According to him, when we retire, we are going to buy a house in Orlando and and both go to work at WDW from Jan. through Aug. We will also buy a small home in Norman, OK and/or an RV, so we can spend September through December going to every single Oklahoma football game (our other passion!). Sounds great to me!!!!!! :thumbsup2

disneyfan67
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I think this is one of the coolest threads I've seen here in a long time. I often wondered how many Disney Dads there were out there and I was kind of wondering if other dads felt the same way. I'll be 39 on 5/2 and I love going to WDW and I do all the planning and leg work. This August will be my family's 4th trip since 2002 and we love it! I tell people that when my kids get to be the age of an adult and don't want to go anymore, their loss because I plan on going to WDW every year.

I can't describe how it makes me feel when I pull up to the Polynesian at the begining of the vacation and walk through the sliding doors into the GCH. A wave of comfort and happiness comes over my me and my wife and we feel like we come home. Yes, it's corny but that's how we feel and it's nice to know that others enjoy WDW as much as we do. After checking in we usually hop on the monorail and head to MK and then another set of pleasant emotions kick in. I rarely talk to other non Disney people about why we go to WDW because they just don't understand and then the usual comments come out. To me there's no other place to vist at this moment in my family's life. I'm not taking my kids to Vegas and I don't gamble anyway, so what's the point? WDW has everything inside their gates that I want in a vacation and we feel safe and secure. Where else can you go and feel that?

Thanks to the OP who started this thread and to the other Disney Dads who posted as well. I really enjoyed this thread and it was fun reading the other responses and seeing people get a kick out of WDW like I do. :thumbsup2

photobob
04-28-2006, 10:47 AM
Hello my name is Bob and I'm a Disneyaholic. My wife had to convince me to go in 1997 and I have been the planner for each of the following six trips. I was so impressed with WDW my first trip that i haven't wanted to vacation elsewhere since.

Zippa D Doodah
04-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi! :wave: I am thrilled to know there are other guys out there like me. We are Disney fans and we are legion! :cool1: anyhoo... :rolleyes1

I am 41; DW is 36; we have two kids (9 and 6). We have been to WDW 6 times now (all since 2000). I never went as a kid, but unexpectedly fell in love with WDW when we made our first trip. DW and I both are nuts for WDW, but I am the one who does the planning. DW doesn't even know what the DIS is :sad2: :scared1: She enjoys benefitting from my WDW knowledge, although she knows quite a bit herself. I am always the one lobbying to make return trips sooner rather than later. (She talked me back into my senses after I recently suggested a free-dining trip in August)

I love our WDW vacations so much because when we are there nothing else comes between us as a family. We just focus on having fun and appreciating each other. I am one of those Dads who scurries off to buy a surprise Mickey bar or funnel cake at any given moment -and love doing it!

madswede
03-16-2008, 08:23 AM
Im a 44 yo Dad who loves Disney but in construction you take a ribbing. Its all good fun (they are jealous i guess :confused3 )

dacky041208
03-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Not quite a disney dad, but in a month I'll be a disney husband I guess, our honeymoon is 2 weeks at DW, and planning that is what introduced me to the dis. So far, I am thrilled that I got all this information.

RllngRckBrw
03-16-2008, 08:50 AM
My obsession is mostly about WDW. My wife had to talk me into my first trip there and now I think she regrets that she did. She does enjoy it, but is not at all fanatical about it as I am. Most people dont understand it in my life. My co-workers think I am crazy, my wife just shakes her head and says I am going to overkill the next trip for her with all of my planning, reading, and listening everything WDW. And even my parnets (who by the way are joining our next trip, so hopefully they will be able to understand) dont get it at all. But to each his own, we all have our activities/places that get us through, WDW just happens to be mine.

mmorizio
03-16-2008, 09:08 AM
57 year-old father of two here. My wife and I spent our honeymoon at WDW in 1973, we've been hooked ever since. Our 22 year-old daughter is a big-time WDW fan, did the college program, is working in NYC now, and is going back with friends for her first vacation since joining her company. My son (29) is more of a vacation in Europe kind of guy.

ryley26
03-16-2008, 09:11 AM
My name is Rich and I'm the family Disney Fanatic. At the school I work at the staff always ask me for answer. The teachers call me Mr WDW:lmao: I love learning new thing and surf the boards constantly. Oh yeah father of 2 DD 13 and DS 11 and a wonderful wife who loves Disney and put up with my obsession.:thumbsup2

madthemouse
03-16-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm divorced, and have been taking my daughter to WDW since she was 4 years old.

I remember people asking why I was taking her to WDW at such a young age. They said that she would not remember anything about the trip. So much for that advise.

Anyway, here we our making preparations for our 14th year of vacationing at WDW. I remember asking my daughter a number of years ago about not going to WDW. Her response to me was, "Dad it's now part of our life". Just as birthdays, Christmas and certain family get togethers are, you just look forward to doing it.

Of all the vacations we have gone on, our vacations to WDW are for me, very relaxing. There is no other place that I can go, where I can check reality at the door.

You could say, that I like WDW. :3dglasses

DisneyJimbo
03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Of all the vacations we have gone on, our vacations to WDW are for me, very relaxing. There is no other place that I can go, where I can check reality at the door.

:thumbsup2

That pretty much sums up why I'm a Dad who's obsessed with WDW. I've never felt as relaxed and happy as I do during a Disney vacation.

My wife and DD7 love WDW, but not as much as me. :lovestruc

Kitzer
03-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Another Disney Dad nut signing in here... proudly!!! Age 44, father of three. I do most of the planning and am like a little kid months before the trip takes place. Just about every weekend I watch the Disney Planning DVD, or home movies, or anything I've taped from the Travel Channel pertaining to Disney up until the time the trip comes. I book the resort and I usually book the character breakfasts. My wife loves Disney too, so planning a trip is fun and something that brings us together.

As far as other guys giving me crap for wearing Disney apparel or having Disney alerts on my PC or whatever else, "forget about it." If they don't get it, the heck with them. DW is a truly wonderful place and experience for the family. Between the parks, water parks, resorts, shopping, etc etc,. there is just nothing comparable.

Fastcars
03-16-2008, 02:38 PM
I love going to the parks as much as anybody. I had the opportunity to change jobs and I choose to be close the the Magic. I have an AP and go 2 to 3 times a month. Sometimes I just go by myself because the rest of the family jsut doesnt get the Magic like I do. The guys at work give me grief about going all the time. I reply to them its no different than going fishing for you.

With all the trivia and novelties of the parks it makes me forget about the troubles of reality and live in a fantasy for just awhile. Its great stress relief

Disney Davo
03-16-2008, 03:02 PM
One more Disney Dad here. Been going longer than I can remember. Grew up in the real OC and lived in Florida for the past 8 years. Just moved back to So. Cal permantely. Like the original poster wife is not that crazy about Disney. I have two teenage daughters and we know both WDW and DL intimately. Can't imagine a world with out Disney!

WDWDad
03-16-2008, 03:03 PM
44 yr old Disney nut, husband of a Disney lover, and father of three Disney fanatics. Been to Disney twentysomething times.

It's an obsession, but who's gonna complain? It's fun.

goofyernmost
03-16-2008, 03:19 PM
When I was a kid I used to watch and was a member of the Mickey Mouse Club. After that we sort of went our separate ways.

At 34 years old, my wife and I took our daughters (6 & 8) to WDW. I didn't know what to expect, I wasn't much for research in those day. Due to financial considerations we stayed off site. The year was 1983, EPCOT had been open just a few months. I knew nothing at all about it.

Back in those days when you entered World Drive you could tune into a Disney Radio signal. They gave you directions and information. I was hooked. I was pretty easy to please back in those days.

I was fascinated by how it all operated and the minds that thought up the whole system of rides and shows. The first few years trips were pretty widely spaced, but after a few years, my trips to WDW got to be pretty regular. I took my family, escorted disabled folks and went by myself after my divorce. My ex was not much of a fan, but, that wasn't the reason for the parting of the waves.

Three weeks ago I managed to fulfill a long term desire to bring my entire family down from Vermont to the "World". I rented a 6 bedroom villa (off site), bought everyone airfare, rented cars, provided Disney Tickets for my grown children, their husbands and my grandkids. We all had a wonderful time and it was honestly the best money that I have ever spent.

My office at work has pieces parts of Disney in it. I'm in the public busing business so my desktop is a picture of Disney Buses. I have a 3d plastic picture of Mickey and friends and a faux window (complete with curtains) overlooking Cinderella's Castle. No one has ever made fun of me for it at least to my face. They just know that this is what I do instead of drink.

In just a few months I will turn 60 and my enjoyment of Disney has never declined. I was lucky enough to be able to visit Disneyland during its 50th anniversary. As luck would have it, I visited on the day that they had a large group of X-Mouseketeers in a special parade. My era Mouseketeers. I suspect that as long as my health remains good, I will continue to make my yearly pilgrimage to sunny Florida.

kevw67
03-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Another Disney Dad (40) obsessed with Disney. I do not get into collectibles but I do buy almost every book that has to do with Disney. We are DVC members since 2006. We took our boys(then 8 & 6) and had the time of our lives. While the boys were on the Pirate Cruise, my wife and I saw the DVC kiosk and set up an appointment and we were hooked! We have been "Home" once and are going back again in April. We are staying at AKV. My wife loves Disney but doesn't browse the message boards and leaves all the planning to me. I go over trip plans ad nauseum until the day we leave. Every park is planned with EMH in mind and ADR's are made based on the parks we are in that day. It really is a coordinated to get everything right. If you weren't as crazy for Disney as everyone on this thread is, then plans wouldn't go smooth. My wife tells me I am crazy, but no one complains after the vacation is over! I dont care what other say about me obsession because these are some of the best vacations we spend as a family.

goofy14
03-16-2008, 06:00 PM
hey. i'm bob (41), another disney dad. my 2 boys are 18 and 12. my wife and youngest son like disney but they aren't obsessed. my oldest son and I are the fanatics. the whole family visited wdw last spring break in march. since then, we have planned our next wdw trip for this may. to build the excitment, we started watching all of the disney canons, 1 a week, from snow white to meet the robinsons so that we end the weekend before we leave in may. other than that, anything disney is fair game: cell phone and computer wallpapers, music, disney channel, radio disney, these boards, but especially movies and the parks. the lion king/scar/andreas deja are our very favorites. i know that everyone around me gets sick of hearing about it all of the time. i am a school teacher and band director, so i am around kids all the time, so i guess in some ways i never really "grew up". and i don't intend to either!! but seriously i love all things disney. it's good to know i'm not alone.

digskat
03-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Proud disney dad (Digs) of 2. Had been to WDW as a teenager (drove over from Daytona during Springbreak), but really became a fanatic 4 years ago when I took my kids for the first time. Fortunately, DW was a bigger fan than me, so it was easy to plan a yearly trip. I think I get the most excited about the trip, starting the countdown about 6 months before we go. I just love the idea of 2 weeks of fun at the happiest place on earth, and 2 weeks of my kids undivided attention (I guess it goes both ways). Planning usually starts about 3 days after we get home from the previous trip.

Goofy'slady
03-16-2008, 06:40 PM
I'm another wife signing in for my husband. He's a 30yr old dad of two little girls ages 9 1/2 and 2 1/2. He's orginally from Holland and had been to Disneyland Paris a few times but had never been to Disney World until after we married and we visited in 2002. We've been twice since then and we're going in May of this year. He owns to many Donald Duck t-shirts, (Donald being his fave character) drinking glasses and mugs. He loves Disney so much he often jokes that if he were to ever win the lotery he'd move us to Celebration to be closer to "home".

T.

cman
03-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Another Disney nut here. I'm a 41 year old dad of DS15 and DD16. DW doesn't quite understand my obsession with Disney but will admit that the best family vacations we've ever had have been at WDW. My DD shares my love and understands me the best. I keep telling her that she needs to prepare properly so I can pass the torch to her once I too old to plan our trips but still young enough to take them. It wouldn't surprise me at all if my DD someday gets married at WDW.

My first trip to Disney was on our honeymoon when I was 23 in '89. We took a few more short trips to WDW between then and '98. That's when we bought into DVC. Best decision we've ever made and the start of my love of Disney. Since then we have made 5 trips - taking our whole family with us (15+ people) to share Disney with them. The last of which was a Christmas trip this past December which was the best trip ever. I planned it for 2 years and I'm still a bit depressed it's over.

I think my love of Disney grows with each trip. The joy of being there with my wife and kids (and all the others) for the sole purpose of putting all the crap aside and just being kids again. I look forward to the day that I can spend time at WDW with my kids and my grandchildren.

At work I used to get teased but now who's office does everyone stop by when there's a trip in there future? Mine. I make each of them apologize before I will help them.

It's nice to be part of this group.

MOmousefan
03-16-2008, 07:40 PM
I am a 58 year old disney dad. My three grown kids are disney kids who still love to go. My wife refuses to go, so I have taken my two daughters, their husbands, and my youngest, my 21 YO son. We are going the first week in December and can hardly wait.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a146/mtsanders/WDW%202005/Me.jpg

photobob
03-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I am the Disney enthusiast (sounds better than nut or nerd) in the family. I plan the trips etc..

記衷oe
03-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Wow someone dug this one out from way back... It's always good to see there are others out there like me. I started this thread two years ago - and I'm as obsessed as ever. And now, as you can see by my signature, I'm obsessed about Disney photography as well. I just keep getting deeper... the girls now 4 and 7 love it the same and keep asking when we're going back to Disney World. :) Bridget still doesn't care for it and always asks why all our trips have to be to Disney World, Disneyland or Disney Cruises. I just can't seem to get her hooked...

Thanks for all the new replies, Disney dads! :thumbsup2

AndyMcV
03-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Hey Gents

Just thought I'd add some more comments...

I have a buddy at work that made the comment "Disney is just another amusement park"... and yes he was there last year with the FW cabins. I asked him if he had any recent head injuries that he forgot about.

What do you actually say back to a comment like that????? :confused3 :scared1:

Andy

Max Rebo
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Another Disney dad checking in.

I'm a 35-year-old father of two.

Made my first trip to WDW in in 1988 with my high school band. Got to march in the old Electric Light Parade. I've been in love with Disney World ever since, though I didn't get to take the "dream family vacation" until last June. It was a blast, and we can't wait to go back, though our next trip likely won't be until at least 2010. Yet here I am on a Disney World Internet fan board.

Cheers to all.

Kitzer
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey Gents

Just thought I'd add some more comments...

I have a buddy at work that made the comment "Disney is just another amusement park"... and yes he was there last year with the FW cabins. I asked him if he had any recent head injuries that he forgot about.

What do you actually say back to a comment like that????? :confused3 :scared1:

Andy

Wow, I thought about it for a minute and I'm stumped.:confused3 I don't get how someone can go to WDW and if not fall in love, at least have a great deal of enthusiasm upon returning. We go to our Six Flags every year also. Albeit a great amusement park, it doesn't hold a candle to WDW. We've also taken a vacation to Cedar Point which is a fantastic amusement park, yet I didn't have a yearning to get back to it year after year after year. pirate:

seadd67
03-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Living on the west coast I ve been to DL a hand full of times growing up,and took my DS there when he was 8,It was fun and my son started his obsession with Disney there. Then Three years back I took my son to DW for a so called once and a life time trip:worship: .Well, both me and my son fell In love:love: with DW,Its the only place we want to goto now on vacation.We went back the following year:dance3: ,and we will be back In 14 days:yay: .We just have to go!!,his mom Is totaly not Into It:confused3 ,may be Its the flying part, she does not fly:scared1: or the fact we stay for 7 to 10 days:cool1: ( Next year It will be for two weeks,I have not told her that one yet:scared1: ).She and the rest of our Family and Friends can understand my sons enjoyment,but mine:confused: ,they think I lost my mind or just being to Inmature,Well thats ok,lts to bad for them they are missing out on the most Incredable places In the world. But I have to admit sometmes I have to wonder:confused: , I will smell something,or see a place that reminds me Of DW and I will start to miss It:sad:,and Oh boy when me and my son start talking about It,It can go and on and on. Well thats It sorry If I rambeled on:surfweb:

Mike_M
03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
I've come to find out that there are two kinds of people. Amusement Park fans, and Theme Park fans. You can enjoy both, but you usually prefer one or the other. As a Theme Park fan, Disney Parks offer more then just rides for me, they offer a full immersive experience where you feel like you are in another world while you are there. When I see Donald Duck walking by me in the park, It's not just a guy in a suit, it's Donald Duck. When I ride PotC, I still get the urge to duck below the cannon fire. I've been going to Disney Parks since I was 4 years old and every time I return, it's a bit of a homecoming for me.

Last year, we took my DS to DL for his 1st trip (and Birthday). My in-laws joined us one of the days. Near the end of the night, all the kids had passed out in their strollers and my DW and her sister wanted to enjoy some rides together so I volunteered to watch the sleeping kids so they could have fun. I found a bench near HM and just relaxed, enjoying the ambiance and the Rivers of America. It didn't matter that I wasn't on the rides with them; I was in DL and enjoying it.

Kitzer
03-18-2008, 02:03 PM
When I see Donald Duck walking by me in the park, It's not just a guy in a suit, it's Donald Duck. When I ride PotC, I still get the urge to duck below the cannon fire. .

Wait a minute, are you trying to tell me the characters are really just people in costumes!!! :confused: :eek: and that we aren't really in mortal danger from real cannon fire on POTC: :sad1:

Nice Going, I don't know how I'm gonna break this news to the wife and kids! :rotfl: :lmao:

csarenz
03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Gotta say, I love this thread. My wife says I'm weird, being a 29y/o male who loves all things Disney, but she's the same way. We came several times on our own since we've been married, now we're making our third Disney trip (2 WDW/1DL) with DD2, who loves hugging Disney characters more than anything in the world.

Isn't it good to know you're not alone?

madthemouse
03-18-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm sorry about posting twice on this thread. But being that this thread is about us (Dad's). I wanted to add this piece of information.

Someone had a thread, asking about autographs they have of Disney characters.

I was going through the autographs I had collected over my lifetime, from sports hero's to the famous and in some cases the infamous. Anyway, I came across an autograph from the person who had a hand in starting this, Mickey Mouse himself. I know that a lot of people have one of Mickey, but the one I have was when he was a younger mouse, just 37 years old. :woohoo:

bear22
03-18-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm a 39 year old with 2 boys and I love sports and Disney. My wife doesnt get my passion for Disney and I also have turned my kids into Disney freaks. They always have a map of the parks in the car and we are always quizzing each other. My wife just looks at us and rolls her eyes. My son (7yr old) gets mad and calls her a non-disney person. I sure won't give up my Disney passion!:worship: :worship:

AndyMcV
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I've come to find out that there are two kinds of people. Amusement Park fans, and Theme Park fans. You can enjoy both, but you usually prefer one or the other. As a Theme Park fan, Disney Parks offer more then just rides for me, they offer a full immersive experience where you feel like you are in another world while you are there. When I see Donald Duck walking by me in the park, It's not just a guy in a suit, it's Donald Duck. When I ride PotC, I still get the urge to duck below the cannon fire. I've been going to Disney Parks since I was 4 years old and every time I return, it's a bit of a homecoming for me.

Last year, we took my DS to DL for his 1st trip (and Birthday). My in-laws joined us one of the days. Near the end of the night, all the kids had passed out in their strollers and my DW and her sister wanted to enjoy some rides together so I volunteered to watch the sleeping kids so they could have fun. I found a bench near HM and just relaxed, enjoying the ambiance and the Rivers of America. It didn't matter that I wasn't on the rides with them; I was in DL and enjoying it.

Mike

Very, very well stated. I totally feel the same way.

Andy

AndyMcV
03-19-2008, 12:32 PM
...I don't get how someone can go to WDW and if not fall in love, at least have a great deal of enthusiasm upon returning...

I totally agree. This I will probably never ever understand. When he said it's just an amusement park I was kind of dumbfounded. I didn't know what to say. I was wondering if he actually went.

Like Mike mentioned it's about being totally immersed in the experience with the level of detail Disney provides. That's what I find most amazing. How someone cannot take that away with them is beyond me. :confused3

Andy

Sinclare
03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
38 yo. Single parent DAD here, and as you can see from the sig I've got the same addiction everyone else here does. I think what the DIS boards really need is a couples connection. That way you could hook up with other singles who have the same obsession :teacher:

xipetotec
03-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Well I wouldn't say DW doesn't "get it" ... she DOES love Disney. BUT *I* am the one in the family who is the obsessed freak :) . More than DW, more than the kids. And even though my mother is the one who bought into DVC to take her kids and grand-kids ( namely, us ). All the planning and managing of the trips ( including DVC points ) falls on me cause I love it so frikkin much :)

Emma's Dad
03-19-2008, 09:53 PM
I wouldn't say I'm a Disney freak... especially since the last WDW trip with the wife was in 1997 (before DD came along). BUT... I feel like I've been simply "supressing" my Disney addiction. Now that we can actually afford a vacation, I talked DW into going this year. My DD just turned 5, and she is really getting into Disney... this will be her first WDW trip. YEAH!
Funny note: My daughter told me this morning that she couldn't get to sleep last night... she couldn't get Disney out of her head :) She doesn't quite understand how long 40 days will take... poor thing :sad:

TaylorsDad
03-19-2008, 10:23 PM
As you can tell by my name , another Disney Dad here. I went the first time 3 yrs ago mostly for my little girl. My experience was okay, just not magical. My wife and child became almost instantly obsessed. I found each time we went I grew to love the place more and more. Last year I spent months researching and planning through the disboards with my wife. This allowed us to enjoy our vacation well before it started and I guess all I can say is now, I too, am hooked.

MN Dis Fans
03-19-2008, 10:37 PM
My dh is a Disney Dad and we wouldn't want it any other way. We're now secretly influencing/brainwashing our DNeice to get to her dad as well.:cheer2:

Shir Kahn
03-19-2008, 10:47 PM
I'm not a Disney-Dad yet, but I am Disney-addicted! I'm turning 34 in June and until about the age of 28 or 29, I had never been to a Disney park, never even thought about Disney at all. DW's family changed that completely for me, lucky for me!

I generally don't care what my coworkers think about my love of Disney, I get the odd immature comment, but I'm pretty quick with a good reply, so it usually backfires on the person. I'll be going to Disney until I die. (and maybe after too!)

jfulcer
03-19-2008, 11:48 PM
38 year old certified Disney nut DH here. I didn't ever go to Disney until DW and I honeymooned at the Wilderness Lodge. Her family used to go every year when she was small and now. They stayed offsite at a condo.

Now we are DVC and do it all in style.

Jim from Jersey
03-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Another 38 y.o. fanatic. I went twice as a kid and really did not fully appreciated WDW till 1998 when my wife and I took our first trip. Since then we have been back on a regular basis and bought into DVC in 2005. She is not as crazy as I am and usually refers to me as a Disney Dork when I send her emails / news about the parks. I plan all our vacations, every part from start to finish. I get made fun of by our family and friends, however, those who come with us on our trips know without my planning, it would not be the same. I love WDW trivia and history and enjoy reading old books and watching videos of WDW past and present. I am glad to see that there are others out there like me! Jim

zuperdaave
03-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Hi I'm a new DIS member - this is my first post in fact. Glad to see other dads out there. I've been a frequent WDW guest since being a kid (have always lived anywhere from 3-4 hours away) and have made fans out of my DW and DD. In fact, I proposed to my DW outside Cinderella's Castle back in 2001 and the rest was history...

goofylarry46
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
The first time my wife and I were at WDW was on our honeymoon in 1984. Then we took our daughter several times, but the only reason I went was because my wife loved Disney and she wanted to take our daughter so I went along to be with them. My wife works for a law firm, and in 2003 she was in Tampa at a trial. My daughter and I went down there to surprise her for a weekend and I asked my daughter what she wanted to do. She said she wanted to go to Magic Kingdom. That was the second weekend of November and there was NOBODY there - the park was just about empty. That's when I fell in love with the Disney parks, because it was so different from the crowded parks I had experienced before. We went back in February of 2004. My wife had always talked about DVC, so we went and took the tour and bought a membership. Now we go about 4-5 times a year. I'm 50 years old - all my t-shirts are Disney shirts. My favorite character is Stitch. My wife loves Disney, also - sorry to hear yours doesn't.

Mickey28
03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Joe and all the other DD's,
I too was influenced by my wife. She took me for my second trip when we were just dating. Now I am the one in the family who does all of the planning for our WDW trips. I'm the one who posts on these boards and I look at the POTD thread everyday. If anyone asks my wife about WDW or Disney in general she refers them to me for their answer.

mistyt
03-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Now the all important question....

Any single Disney dads (i'd love to find someone equally as in love with it as my mom)?!

Heck, maybe even one for myself (seeing as how that proposal over on the other thread didn't seem to go as planned)! LOL!

Emma's Dad
04-16-2008, 08:07 PM

Any single Disney dads (i'd love to find someone equally as in love with it as my mom)?!

Heck, maybe even one for myself (seeing as how that proposal over on the other thread didn't seem to go as planned)! LOL!

I'm sorry... but I simply cannot let your post be the thread killer :rotfl:

No... I'm not a single Disney dad, but I'm sure there's got to be one around here somewhere :rolleyes1

BTW... there is a DIS Dad's Club started up for those who have not seen it yet.

DIS Dad's Club (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1635716)

We're having a blast over there :dance3:

stopher1
04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm sorry... but I simply cannot let your post be the thread killer :rotfl:

No... I'm not a single Disney dad, but I'm sure there's got to be one around here somewhere :rolleyes1

BTW... there is a DIS Dad's Club started up for those who have not seen it yet.

DIS Dad's Club (http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1635716)

We're having a blast over there :dance3:

Yep, come on over guys, we've got over a hundred guys there having a great time... its in the DISNEY FOR FAMILIES portion of the DIS.

amandals2007
08-01-2008, 04:33 PM
my dad is a DISNEY FREAK!! his office is FULL TO THE TOP (literally the place is packed!) with sorcerer mickey things. he reads these forums with me, but he isnt too big on the internet so he isnt on here (YET!). i am 19 and i hope i find a guy like all of you on here!! i couldnt live if i couldnt find someone willing to go to disney every year! its just a must! i love it to much!! my uncle has two girls (12 and 6) and they LOVE disney just like i do, and he moans so much about going and hates it! i just dont understand it!

proteus
08-02-2008, 09:34 PM

I'm one. Went back as an adult in 99' and have never looked back.

Micca
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
my dad is a DISNEY FREAK!! his office is FULL TO THE TOP (literally the place is packed!) with sorcerer mickey things. he reads these forums with me, but he isnt too big on the internet so he isnt on here (YET!). i am 19 and i hope i find a guy like all of you on here!! i couldnt live if i couldnt find someone willing to go to disney every year! its just a must! i love it to much!! my uncle has two girls (12 and 6) and they LOVE disney just like i do, and he moans so much about going and hates it! i just dont understand it!

Your dad is a Disney Freak and isn't big on the internet? Does he have any idea how much Disney stuff is on the internet? Would you like me to have a little talk with him?;) :earsboy: