View Full Version : I would like to join
04-21-2006, 03:05 PM
I have been lurking for a little while-I just found this board a couple of wks ago. My lovely DD surprised the whole family with this WDW trip for May 6. We are all so excited-me most of all. We've had 5 wks to get ready for this trip. Well, I need to lose 100lbs. Now, in my head I know that I can't lose all of that in the short amount of time I have left. It took me 53 years to put it all on! I have been cutting back on all of my junk food and the whold family has been eating healthier. I started walking this week and I have lost 5lbs. So, now I really want to get serious. I do have high blood pressure and the dr has been after me for years to lose weight. And I have tried. And failed many times. I haven't tried an internet board yet. So, if it is all right with you all, I would to join your board.
04-21-2006, 04:40 PM
I just posted on another thread, so I am just going to copy & paste what I said over ther over here...
Welcome to WISH, I just wanted to say hello, and let you know that you are not alone. When I first started I had 63 pounds to lose, I know not as much as you, but when you used to weigh 119lbs, and weighed in at WW at 208, it seems like 100lbs. I know that I will never be 119lbs again, and frankly I do not want to be that low, after having my first DD, I became anorexic(all I ever ate was lettuce and water) so I have set a different healthier weight goal for myself. I would like to get down to 145lbs. Anyway, I really know what you are going through about sabatogging(sp??) yourself, because I used to do it all the time. I have tried so many diets it's not even funny. Finally on Feb. 3rd 2006 I started my WW journey. I weighed in at 208(and almost fell to the floor..I hadn't realized I let myself go that much) To date I have lost a total of 22.8 pounds. You know what, at first I thought I could never do this, but I have learned to take it day by day and week by week. Here is how I have accomplished the weight loss so far...
1-Get rid of ALL the junk food in your house---don't use the excuse about wanting to have it in the house for the kids or DH because if it is not good for you, then it is not good for them either.
2-Start moving...and way you possibly can...even if you just grab two cans of beans and do bicep curls while you are watching tv, then that is better then nothing. Also I have started doing my crunches as I am laying in bed at night.
3-GO TO WW MEETINGS....I know there are some people who can do it without the meetings, but I am not one of them...let me just tell you, when you have to get weighed in each week, you are more accountable for the things you eat each week because you KNOW you HAVE to get on the scale. Also my leader is so insperational and supportive it is not even funny. I can tell she was were I am now, and she just loves to motivate. I have also become close to a couple of the older ladies that attend the meetings. They are all great and I love checking in with them each week to see how they are doing.
4-Sign up for something little...maybe a 1 mile walk or something, I signed up for the MINNIE marathon, and now that has been my motivation to keep going. I know that I WILL suceed in crossing that finish line.
5-COME HERE OFTEN!!!! I cannot tell you enough how much I have depended on the WISH to get me through a rough time, when I wanted to eat something that I shouldn't or if I didn't want to exercise.
6-Join some challenges here on the WISH boards...here is one that I am hosting, it is a summer challenge click HERE to check it out. I have done a couple and they have really kept me going.
Anyway, I hope that this wasn't too much to swallow, but I really WISH you the best of luck!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
04-21-2006, 10:25 PM
Welcome to the group. I hope you are able to obtain the goals you set for yourself. I think it is fantastic that you want to live a little more healthier lifestyle. I would like to make a couple of suggestions, if I may.
1) Drink lots of water. Try to stay away from things with sugar and sodium in it. Sugar turns into fat and sodium makes you retain water.
2) Stay away from fried foods. Look for "cleaner" options to eat. Try eating foods that are baked, grilled or broiled. Cook your vegetables without butter. (I live in the South and unfortunately, this is the way most people cook down here.) Make sure you eat your vegetables and your fruits. Preferably, you need to eat your fruits during the daytime and veggies at night. The reason being is the sugar content of fruit when taken in at night will turn into fat.
3) Keep walking. Set a goal such as by May 1, I will be able to walk a mile. When you are able to achieve that goal, change it. Either try to go longer or go stronger. Power walking as an amazing cardio workout. Also, look at how long you are doing your cardio sessions. The first 20 minutes of cardio is getting your body warmed up and ready to loose fat. Don't start off at this though. This is something that you will have to work up too. The most important thing to remember is to not give up hope. There will be times when you will get discouraged or frustrated because it is not going as fast as you would like but know that anything that you do can only help.
4) Make sure you do some sort of strength training. I don't mean that you need to try to lift as much weight as you possibly can. On the contrary. Get some 5 pound weights and use them for resistance. Do 12-15 reps of each exercise. This will aid you in getting in shape. As we all get older, we loose muscle mass and bone density which can lead to Osteoperosis.
5) Lastly, don't give up. Don't loose site of your goals. Stay motivated!!
Good luck. We are here for you! :cheer2:
04-22-2006, 03:27 PM
Thank you both for your welcoming words of encouragement! I have dieted and read the books -me and Dr. Phil didn't make it. I know it is a life commitment. But I am finally dealing with some life changes and I do feel like I have "woke up". I need to do this for "ME" :yay: One thing I did just learn from bubba73 tip #2. I didn't know that about the sugar from fruit. Thank you all again.
04-24-2006, 10:23 AM
Welcome and good luck :wave2:
vBulletin® v3.8.4, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.