PDA

View Full Version : Boston on a budget.

cinderellamom
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
Any ideas would be appreciated. My family did get free airline tix off the radio.
Yeah. But now we need to save on all the extras.
Also, looking for things to do with kids.
tia. :wave2:

Fall1
04-21-2006, 11:27 AM
The best tour in Boston is the Duck Tour! It's a half land/half water sightseeing tour of Boston and it's sooooo fun! It's worth the $$ ($26/adult $17/child).

Fun places to walk around/window shop are Fanueil Hall and Boston Common- both usually have street performers juggling, etc. There is the New England Aquariam and the Children's Museum that are both fun.

disneysteve
04-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Hotels in the city can be very pricey. We stayed at a Residence Inn in Dedham, which was about 20 minutes south. We were not far from the train station and just drove over there and took the train into the city. Very convenient public transit system.

Whale watching is fun and not too expensive also. We enjoyed that. We also spent a day in Salem and, on the way back, visited an outdoor sculpture garden in Lincoln (I think).

sweet maxine
04-21-2006, 12:23 PM

Sue Sullivan
04-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Many of the museums in Boston offer free admission one night each week also, so you'll want to check on that.

wearegoingtoDisney
04-21-2006, 12:33 PM
Friday nights at the children's museum are $1 each from 5-9!!! Excellent place for kids.

kelleigh1
04-21-2006, 12:37 PM
You can get a "visitor pass" for the subway for the length of your stay. Check out www.mbta.com for info. It's the best way to get around the city.

Staying in Boston is very pricey, but keep an eye out for different deals. You just never know when you'll get a room for a steal. Summer rates will probably be the most expensive.

Boston is called the walking city, which is a very inexpensive way to see the city. There are tours which you can take too, but on a budget, walking is great. There is a lot to see since there is so much history. I love just walking around and looking at the buildings instead of just walking right by them.

Walking through the North End is fun. I feel like I've stepped into another world whenever I take a walk over there...which I'll probably be doing at lunch soon.

Take a drive down to Plymouth and get a look at where it all really started. That's a great place to walk too. You can tour the Mayflower and Plimoth Plantation which is always educational, but depending on your budget, the cost can bite. If you have AAA, ask for the discount.

Drive north to Salem for another nice place to walk. Home of the Salem Witch Trials, with so much to see and if I remember correctly, many of the places you can visit are free or inexpensive. Salem is also the home of Nathaniel Hawthorne and you can actually visit the House of Seven Gables.

wearegoingtoDisney
04-21-2006, 12:38 PM
Just thought of another thing. Read "Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey before you go then go see the duck statues and ride the swan boats in "The Public Garden" Adults $2.75 chidren $1.25

kelleigh1
04-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Here's an article I found on about.com with some ideas.

http://budgettravel.about.com/od/destinationsavings/p/cheap_boston.htm

and one from Fine Living

http://www.fineliving.com/fine/adventure/article/0,1663,FINE_1403_3398590,00.html

HeatherC
04-21-2006, 02:30 PM
One hotel to consider for a family is the Marriott Custom House. It is a timeshare right in the middle of Faneuil Hall. You can check it out along with rates at www.vacationclub.com. It has a one bedroom with a living area with pull out couch and a mini-kitchen. They will also give you a rollaway for free if you need an extra bed. The rates were very reasonable when we stayed there in October and I would highly recommend it for a family since you are in the middle of things and can prepare coffee or a light meal to save on expenses.

Hope this helps.
HeatherC

BostonTink85
04-21-2006, 02:37 PM
Check out the Freedom Trail, all you do is follow the red line/bricks on the sidewalk. You really see a lot of the city and many historical sites. Another fun thing to do walk down newbury street. Lots of stores and window shopping :magnify: Also, someone mentioned Boston's a walking city and it really is, you can really walk anywhere if it's a nice day without taking the T!

If you go to the North End stop in at Mike's Pastries....it's the best! :thumbsup2

jmpellet
04-21-2006, 03:12 PM
My 5 and 4 year olds surprisingly love the Boston Museum of Science and we literally spent 7 hours there recently. Older kids will get much more out of the place too. They have a new food court operated by Wolfgang Puck and the food was good and pretty reasonable. You can get combo tix for the Duck tour and they leave right from the museum.

The Children's museum is great and large. If you have a membership to a children's museum near your home, Boston is also a member of ACM and will honor it.

pyrxtc
04-21-2006, 06:33 PM
check this out

http://www.citypass.com/city/boston.html

well worth it but yes it is a walking city. You will never see everything. Get a good guidebook from your librbary and write down what you want to do. You could spend an entire day in Fanuiel hall alone.

China town is fun and a great pave to eat. There are a lot of street performers around , be sure to top and watch.

this is a good place to start

http://www.bostonkids.net/

midwestdee
04-21-2006, 06:39 PM
ASAP - checkout Boston's tourist website and send for their info - do the same with the Mass. website - definately get the tourist pass for the subway - we used public transporation during our whole stay - you can even take the train out to Brookline and it isn't too much of a hike to get to JFK's birthplace. Loved Boston!!!! Go to thelibrary and check out the guidebooks - get some bios (age appropriate for your kids) of famous people , Revere, etc.... and start learning about them - it wil make it even more special to be at their home, church, where they did business. We walked the Freedom Trail - depends on how young your kids are - hubby walked up Bunker Hill - I wasn't that gullible I sat on a bench and waited for him - he could barely walk for 2 days after. Loved the ships - I think it was the Constitution that is there in the shipyards (it has been 5 years) and they have a minature Mayflower, as I remember, somewhere along the trail. You will have a great time. The drivers in Boston & Mass. take the grand prize as the worst in our nation - watch out for those turn around things. We rented a car because we spent a total of 10 days in the state and drove to Quincy, Salem,Concord, Lexington, Hyannis, all the way out to Provincetown - we were all over the place. One more strange thing - don't order a salad with 1000 dressing - you can find a decent 1000 dressing anywhere in the state - all bland - no zing.

babiesX2
04-21-2006, 07:13 PM
I've only been to Boston on day trips. I have an aunt that live about an 1 1/2 hours away. The Freedom Trail is free, but some of the sites along the trail charge cheap admission. Still lots of free stops along the way. Stop along the way and have lunch at one of the pubs. It is really interesting, and it is one of my favs to do. Go shopping at Filene's Basement! H & M is also near Filene's. The monument at Bunker Hill is free, but IMHO they should PAY YOU to climb it! :lmao: My legs were like jello for 3 days. After climbing to the top, I was worried about getting down because my legs were so wobbly. The "room" at the top is very small and crowded. I might have had to be airlifted out, but the lookout windows were too small for me to get out of! Please proceed with this tourist attraction with caution. :lmao:

cinderellamom
04-21-2006, 11:06 PM
We are looking at hotels through hotwire.
So far haven't found much, but in Peabody and Danvers that would be considered a real bargain.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
I think we will have a fabulous time. Unfortunately we will only be in Boston for three days. We are heading to upstate NY from there.

BostonTink85
04-21-2006, 11:20 PM
Peabody and Danvers (north) aren't too close to Boston. If you're looking to stay right outside of the city try Quincy (south of Boston). Also there are multiple T stops in Quincy (3) that you can take instead of driving in town and paying an arm and a leg for parking. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

clori
04-22-2006, 08:12 AM
check out Best Western Terrace Inn. It is in Boston (Brighton) just not the touristy part of Boston. However it is right across the street from the T (Green line B Branch). It has a kitchenette/refrigerator and free breakfast. It also has free parking, a free computer with internet access in the lobby to quickly check your email etc. There is no swimming pool. I am partial to the Holiday Inn in Brookline but price wise I would say forget even checking it. I have live on the outskirts of Boston so we just hop on the t so I'm not overly familiar with hotels.

mishtb
04-22-2006, 08:27 AM
I am originally from Boston (Dedham)..... do you have any family or friends that live there? If so ask them if their local library offers them discount/free admission passes to local musuems... If so they would need to call and pick them up for you.. Usually that is what I do I have my mother go to our library and pick up passes.... they have them for the science musuem, childrens musuem, Musuem of fine arts etc etc.......

If not definatly check out the children's musuem on fridays after 5pm it is only $1.00. so far from all the childrens musuem's I've been to it is the largest and best....
Also sign up for Bostonkids.com sometimes they will email you with coupons and upcoming cheap events.....for example if your going the begining of june its either the 1st or 2nd wed-thur-friday there is the Scooper-bowl. Its at city hall where you pay a small fee (use to be $3 but could be $5 now) and its all you can eat ice cream from all different companies around the country.......

If your staying in the city and tight on budget I would get T-Passes (bus/subway) instead of renting a car.... you can pretty much get every where by T or walking... Also when taking a stroll through the Public Garden stop by the swan boats and the make-way-for-ducklings..

LoveMickey
04-22-2006, 08:35 AM
Don't forget to walk over to the North End. They have great Italian places to eat and then there are the bakeries. You local folks know which ones I'm referring to.

Quincy Market is a great people watching place.

Go Sox.

kat3668
04-22-2006, 08:41 AM
You also can hop on the train at North station and take the Rockport line out to Salem and Rockport.. I myself love rockport so quaint with little shops and art galleries...dont forget to stop by salem too and see the witch trials and the witch museum...!

cinderellamom
04-22-2006, 07:11 PM
I hope we can get a lot in.
Any favorite restaurants that are a do not miss.
Thanks again.