PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for a male kindergarten teacher for an end of the year gift

rdsx28
04-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Hi,
I was looking for any ideas for a male kindergarten teacher for an end of the year gift. I thought about a restaurant gift certificate but was looking for something special and different.Thanks for any help.

maggiew
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Its not unique or different, but my DD had a male 5th grade teacher and I gave him a Barnes and Noble gift card. He liked to read books, so I thought he would appreciate that.

Maggie

LVSWL
04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
I don't know if you are looking for something just from your family or if you are planning to collect from the class, but speaking as a past room mom and as someone who has several friends who are teachers, I know they always appreciate cash. That way they can spend it however they choose. Perhaps the room mom could take up a collection, or if not you could just write a nice note and so could your child and enclose the $ in a card. Also some fresh flowers are always nice, nothing too fancy, actually a live plant in a pot that your child painted is something to remember your child by. The most important thing is that the teacher knows that you appreciate all that they have done for your child. We really can't thank them enough. :thumbsup2

wdwaholic
04-20-2006, 03:33 PM
for my son's 2nd grade male teacher I went to one of those "Decorated Cookies' stores and ordered him a school-themed cookie bouquet and also included extra chocolate chip cookies. I've also given him eatery gift cards,candy, and his favorite team memorabilia. this year since my son is graduating to middle school I will send a large cut-up fruit bouquet for the entire staff to share
Trish

goodeats
04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
I'd stick to gift cards or cash. Some unisex ideas:

Beverages & More (well, maybe I'm just a lush)
Starbucks or Coffee Bean
Target
Trader Joes
Book Stores
Local popular restaurant

If you don't want to spend a lot I'd get the Starbucks or Coffee Bean card. Almost everybody likes coffee or tea.

canwegosoon
04-20-2006, 03:44 PM
Subscription to Family FUn MAgazine...lots of cute ideas, and he doesn't have to reinvent the wheel or gift card to teacher store or target.

mommytotwo
04-20-2006, 04:09 PM
I like the restaurant gift certificate idea, or maybe a spa gift certificate.

LisaInNc
04-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Keep in mind that teachers get a lot of the little gifts like note cards and teacher theme items all year and have over the years. Chances are if you thought of it someone else did too. For food with so many people on diets I would not go that route.

A gift card is always perfect becasue it allows them to get something for themselves or for the class room.

I am making a scrapbook with a picture of each child and a quote from them about why they love the teacher. "I love Miss Janet because....."

I did the gift cards for Christmas so I wanted something different.

4theloveofdisney
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
You could do a theme basket such as "movie night". In the basket give a gift card to a movie rental place like Blockbuster or something. Also add in microwave popcorn, "movie" candy and maybe a gift card for a pizza delivery place like Pizza Hut.

Or...

I would just give a Home Depot gift card. I don't any man who couldn't use something in that store!

Or...

A gift certificate to the movies. Our theaters have a nice gift pack that includes tickets, plus pocorn and a drink.

HTH!

Shagley
04-20-2006, 05:06 PM
I would suggest a gift card to somewhere like Walmart or Target. That way he can use it to buy either something fun, or necessities, or classroom supplies, or whatever.

daisyduck123
04-20-2006, 06:18 PM
1st grade teacher here...my vote:

bookstore gift card all the way!!

MsLeFever
04-20-2006, 08:36 PM
All good ideas here and I'll add this one....

My mother (teacher for 40 years or so) said that the BEST gift for a teacher was a sincere, detailed thank you letter. My son's teacher is a first year teacher and has really gone above and beyond for my kid - I think that we are both going to write letters - in addition to whatever gift we settle on.

gymnasticscoach,TX
04-21-2006, 05:48 AM
I would give an ACADEMY sports gift card. ( Or any other sports store )
all the men in our family can't get enough of that store..

spiceycat
04-21-2006, 07:22 AM
I am thinking of getting this for my brother.

http://www.overstock.com/?page=proframe&prod_id=1813154

but he was an engineer - he is retired these days.

It is definitely different.... :thumbsup2

but I can see it might too expensive for your gift.

minkydog
04-21-2006, 07:29 AM
DS has one male teacher that has been with him for 3 years.Last year I gave Mr. Tom a large soft-side cooler and a six pack of Coke. He was thrilled! The year before that it was two of those long citronella candles for the yard. He loved that! For Christmas it was movie tickets. He was the only teacher who came up and personally thanked me,and told me what he went to see. He really liked that.

LuckyD
04-21-2006, 07:35 AM
I gotten bookmarks from Wendell August Forge (http://www.wendellaugust.com/product.asp?SKU=13472188&Category=BestSellers&Subcategory=Bookmarks) and had them personalized. I combine them with a book, preferably a "Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1558749780/sr=8-1/qid=1145623575/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8351050-1516755?%5Fencoding=UTF8) book.

:teacher:

square pond
04-21-2006, 07:38 AM
I work as an assistant in Kindergarten and the Teachers are overwhelmed with candles and Bath and body works and "Best Teacher gifts"!! I actually asked the Teacher I work with what she wished she would get and her biggest wishes were either a Restaurant certificate or gift card or supplies for the classroom!! Teachers spend a LOT of their own money on the classroom and only get reimbursed for about 300.00 dollars of it. Gift cards to Staples and Walmart or a local Teachers store are ALWAYS appreciated and needed!! You can always add a small item with it if you think a gift card doesn't have that personal touch.

onlyoneforme
04-21-2006, 09:28 AM
I made up a summer survival tote bag for my daughter's female 1st grade teacher, it could easily be adapted for a male.
In a beach tote bag, that I got at Christmas Tree Shop, I put in:
* Beach Towel
* Flip Flops
* Sunglasses
* Citronella Candles
* A Paperback Book (or gift certificate for one)
* Water Bottle
* Sunscreen
* Bug Spray
* and a gift certificate for a local ice cream shop!
She LOVED it! I found everything at the Christmas Tree Shops, which I think are native to New England...CHEAP!!!

Another idea would be a "You're the Tops" Ice Cream Basket
* 2 ice cream parfait glasses with colored tissue stuffed inside,
* ice cream scooper
* hot fudge topping
* caramel topping
* colored sprinkles
* nuts
* jar of cherries
* and a certificate for a grocery shop to pick up the ice cream

Or how about a couple of tickets to a sporting event or minor league baseball game?

:goodvibes

princess mom of 4
04-21-2006, 09:33 AM
My brother and sister both are teachers, and they both like gift cards or gift certificates - the favorite last year was for a place to have your car "detailed".

kelleigh1
04-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I was going to suggest tickets to a minor league baseball game or soccer game, which I see someone else mentioned.

I'm not sure where in Massachusetts you are, but if you're down in my neighborhood (Rhode Island border), I may be able to help you out with Pawsox tickets.

Mickey'snewestfan
04-21-2006, 09:48 AM
Its not unique or different, but my DD had a male 5th grade teacher and I gave him a Barnes and Noble gift card. He liked to read books, so I thought he would appreciate that.

Maggie

As a teacher I'll second that. I spend a small forture every year on books for the classroom, so book cards come in very handy. It's what I always get DS's teachers.

However, the best gifts without a doubt are the ones from the kids. In Kindergarten your child probably made huge strides in their ability to draw a picture and write. Have them draw a portrait of themselves or the teacher and enclose a note saying how much you appreciated them. Whether you enclose it with a gift card or not it will still be a huge hit.

Tiggeroo
04-21-2006, 09:51 AM
Gift card for gas station

bugbugmom
04-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Gift card for gas station

That is a great idea! :thumbsup2 :lmao:

robinb
04-21-2006, 10:00 AM
I bought special paints for flower pots (arrrggg! spacing out the name ... the natural brown ones) and my DD painted a flower pot for her male kindergarten teacher last year. I filled it with a dark purple african violet.