PDA

View Full Version : what grocery stores do you have? and best prices?

Grumpy's Gal
04-20-2006, 02:56 PM
we had a food 4 less but it closed. What grocery stores do you have?

kydisneyfans
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
We have Kroger, SuperWalmart, and a really dirty, nasty Sav-a-Lot in town.

About 14 miles south in Lexington there are Meijers(where we always shop), Slones(a local chain-good quality meat), and EW James.

Without Meijer, I have no idea where we would shop.

pearlieq
04-20-2006, 03:40 PM
We've actually got a lot to pick from. We've got:

Jewel (Albertson's)
Dominicks (Safeway)
Cub Foods
Aldi
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Meijer
Super WalMart
Super Target
and also smaller local stores.

You can catch a deal anywhere (except Whole Foods or Trader Joe's) if you watch the sales. Trader Joe's does have some surprisingly good deals, especially on cheese and produce, but you have to watch out!

Part of my job involves working with grocery stores around the nation. Some of the names crack me up! I'd love to know who shops at an H.E. Butt, Jitney Jungle, or King Sooper's store. :teeth:

makinorlando
04-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Within 5 miles I have:

Publix (2)
Winn Dixie
Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market
Super Target
Albertson's
Super Wal-Mart
and I think - Sav-A-Lot or something... it's the only one I've never been in.
oh yeah - BJs too.
I miss Trader Joe's from when I lived in PA

DawnM
04-20-2006, 03:47 PM
We are very fortunate in Charlotte to have a close-out grocery store. They get all the overstocks from restaraunts, grocery stores, health food stores, janitorial supply companies, etc...

I get everything but milk, fresh produce and bread there.

The prices are between 60% to 80% less than retail. Our grocery bill has gone down to $200-$250 per month for a family of 4 and we don't eat out.

My friend has gotten similar results with The Grocery Game but she has to add in the $40 per month for the paper delivery.

Dawn

kelleigh1
04-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Stop & Shop
Shaw's
Roche Bros.
RoJacks / Seabra
Hannaford
Whole Foods

Whole Foods has the best quality, but they are the most expensive. Stop & Shop and Shaw's are the most predominent, although their produce quality has been going down - although I've heard that the newly renovated or newly built Stop & Shop's have much higher quality produce. There should be a new one opening in my neighborhood very soon...actually two new ones.

Hannaford has good prices and good quality, but it's a further drive for me - about 15-20 minutes, and with gas prices, I may have to forego those trips.

Roche Bros. is fairly small and I've really only been there once. The Rojacks and Seabra (Seabra stores used to be Rojacks, but now there is only one that still goes by the RoJacks name) are dirty stores which we try to avoid.

nucpharm29
04-20-2006, 07:52 PM
We have Pick and save, Copps, Cub Foods, Super Wal-mart, and my favorite is a local chain called Woodman's! That store has prices like walmart (which I choose not to shop at) and a selection of items you wouldn't believe!

disneyandme
04-20-2006, 08:05 PM
DawnM-- We are in Charlotte too-- what store are you talking about?

MUFFYCAT
04-20-2006, 08:27 PM
Stop & Sop
King Kullen
Pathmark
Walbaums

pjshaff
04-20-2006, 08:46 PM
Publix
Kroger
Ingles
Super Walmart & Target
Whole Foods

should be getting a Trader Joes near us by the end of the year.

About 95% of the time I will shop at Publix. I divvy up the other 5% btwn Kroger, Super Walmart and Costco/BJ's.

Mad4Dizne
04-20-2006, 08:56 PM
Super Stop&Shop
Big Y
BJ's
Costco

I miss Food Mart!!!
I wish we had an Aldi's--I've heard so many good things about their prices on the boards!!!

(by the way does anyone know of any stores that sell the America's Choice Brand--)
TIA
Flo

waltdisneyworlddreamer
04-20-2006, 09:02 PM
Food City
Foodland
Sav-a-lot

30 miles away we have Super Wal Mart, but we rarely shop there for groceries.

Jon99
04-20-2006, 09:04 PM
Super Wal-Mart
Super K-Mart
Jewel
Dominicks
Ultra Foods
Kroger

mamacatnv
04-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Close to me (within 5 miles)
Smiths - reasonable prices if sale items - Good produce
Raleys-Semi-spendi - Really good produce
Scolari's - Local family owned - Snippy cashiers - Don't like it at all - won't shop there

In town (within 10-15 miles)
Super Wal-Mart - disgusting produce
Winco (Cub foods) - lousy produce
Sak-N-Save - scuzzy
Albertsons-Way Expensive for what they have to offer & out of the way
Safeway-Expensive and out of the way

Trader Joes - love it, go there for treats - way inconvenient location
Costco & Sams Club

I buy all my meat at Costco
If it comes in a can, box or frozen - Winco
Produce & fresh dairy - Raleys or Smiths

lpbm4
04-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Here we have:

Cub Foods
Dominick's
Jewel
SuperWalmart
SuperTarget
Woodman's (employee owned, my preferred store..it's a little bit further but awesome prices!!!)

jiminy14
04-21-2006, 01:22 AM
All of the following stores are within 0-10 miles of my house:

Acme
ShopRite
Stop and Shop
Pathmark
Genardi's
Super Fresh
Whole Foods
Trader Joe's
Aldi's
Wegman's
Costco
BJ's
Sam's Club
Shop Rite is the best for sales and low prices. Since Wegman's arrived (last month) the two stores have been battling for each other's customers. It's meant better prices and more specials.

irishbosoxfan
04-21-2006, 01:31 AM
In Mass I had Demoulas,Market Basket,Shaws,Stop&Shop and Barcelos--Family owned 2 small stores

Here I have Food 4 Less,Price Chopper,Dillons and Aldi's

Alice's Mom
04-21-2006, 01:37 AM
I have:

Vons/Pavilions
Albertsons
Ralphs
Trader Joes
Costco

About 30 minutes away and right by work there is a Whole Foods, my favorite, but most expensive so I just get the organic and vegetarian items from them, and then the rest is split up between Costco and Ralphs. I always forget about Trader Joe's, I know I should go there more often, they have great prices.

For regular grocery store I prefer Vons/Pavilions, but they recently stopped their double coupon program, so I moved on to Ralphs.

DawnM
04-21-2006, 03:46 AM
It is called "A Discount Grocery" I have to drive 20 miles to get there (I am in Union County) but it is well worth it to go once a month. It has saved us a boatload of money.

If you pm me your email address I can send you more info. I don't want to send a long message here on the boards.

Dawn

DawnM-- We are in Charlotte too-- what store are you talking about?

Rootskate
04-21-2006, 04:14 AM
Within a few miles we have:

Shaw's (This is where I mainly go)
Stop and Shop
Shop Rite
Big Y
Aldi's
Super Walmart

Further out we also have:

Whole Foods
Trader Joes
Costco
Sam's Club
BJ's
Price Chopper

LorieR
04-21-2006, 05:06 AM
Local stores, from closest to furthest away:

King Kullen
Pathmark
Stop & Shop
BJ's
Trader Joe's
Waldbaum's
Costco

Lorie

Teresa Pitman
04-21-2006, 05:52 AM
I'm in Guelph, Ontario, Canada, and the stores in my town are:

Zehrs
Ultra Mart
No Frills
Price Chopper

In Kitchener (about a 20 -30 minute drive away) there is a Costco and Safeway.

I mostly shop at Zehrs, because it is so close to my house and is a big, clean store. But I know it is the most expensive. I buy most of my meat at Costco because it is such good quality from there. I don't like the Price Chopper at all - I bought some chicken there once and when I got home and opened the package it smelled disgusting. That just put me off shopping there for good. I do go to No Frills sometimes, and there are some things at Ultra Mart I buy because Zehr's doesn't carry them (Lick's veggie burgers, for example).

There is a Whole Foods in Oakville, which is about an hour's drive from here. When my daughter (who is vegan) is home from school we will shop there a bit as they have more things she can eat. In fact, usually I pick her up at the airport and we head over to Whole Foods on our way home!

Teresa

jeancbpugh
04-21-2006, 05:57 AM
We've actually got a lot to pick from. We've got:

Jewel (Albertson's)
Dominicks (Safeway)
Cub Foods
Aldi
Trader Joe's
Whole Foods
Meijer
Super WalMart
Super Target
and also smaller local stores.

same minus super Walmart, and add GFS and Costco

bnhasak
04-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Our main grocer is Giant Eagle. They have pretty decent prices and also offer 10cents off gas for every $50 you buy in groceries and gift cards, etc.....that is where we do most of the shopping. Also, double coupons to .99

Our closest grocery store is Shop and Save. Not that great.

Then we have further out..
Walmart
Sam's
ALdi's
Whole Foods
and some ma and pa grocers.

Giant Eagle owns Pittsburgh though.

Clancycat
04-21-2006, 08:16 AM
within a few miles of my house there are...

2 Super Stop & Shops
Star/Shaws
Hannaford
Roche Bros

I usually shop at Stop & Shop and Star.

dhuba
04-21-2006, 08:38 AM
Within 10 or 15 minutes I have a:

Foodland
Shop N Save
Giant Eagle
Shur Save
Super Walmart
ALdi's
Sam's Club
Save A Lot

I feel grateful to have such a variety to shop at and get their best deals each week. It really helps save me a ton of money on groceries.

sulleyfan
04-21-2006, 11:04 AM
I live in a really small town (500 people), but we do have a local grocery store called Decker's. We typically go about 25 miles to buy groceries though and the options there are

Super Saver
Russ's Market
Super Walmart
Bag N Save
Aldi's
HyVee
Sun-Mart
Ideal

CJMZ
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Super Stop & Shop
Shaw's
Shop-Rite
Big Y
Adam's

RAZ24
04-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Giant Eagle-Gotta love the gas perks!

Christine

kfeuer
04-21-2006, 11:25 AM
Publix
Kroger
Ingles
Super Walmart & Target
Whole Foods

should be getting a Trader Joes near us by the end of the year.

I bet we're in the same area, I have the same stores and I just heard earlier this week that Trader Joe's is coming and I'm so excited! I want to eat healthy, but Whole Foods is just ridiculously expensive. I hope Trader Joe's gives them a run for their money! Right now I alternate between Aldi's and Publix, but when I'm in a Super Target or warehouse club I'll pick up those items that I know are cheaper there.

~Kathie
04-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Most of you have a ton of choices compared to Rhode Island.

We have

Stop & Shop
BJ's
Shaw's
Shore's (a chain of 2 markets)
Eastside Market Place (very expensive)
Brigido's IGA Marketplace
Dave's Marketplace

The last 2 are smaller markets but they have great produce and meats. There are a few smaller markets too but they are nothing great.

No Super Walmart or Super Targets here.

mamacatnv
04-21-2006, 01:00 PM
I have:

Vons/Pavilions

For regular grocery store I prefer Vons/Pavilions.
Years ago, DH and I lived in So. Calif. the Pavilions were just starting to pop up, they were soooooo nice. When we first moved here to the boonies, Pavilions was was of the few things we really missed!

autumnsmommy
04-21-2006, 06:52 PM
We have:
save-a-lot
Martins
Super Walmart
Krogers
FoodLion
and a Sharp Shopper that I will drive 20 miles to get to because we save SO much

funnygarcia
04-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I base my like/dislike of grocery stores on what deals they have and if coupon friendly. Customer service is a big deal for me too.

Currently I live in a medium sized college town we have:

Cub Foods -- I like the deals they have and I find price reduced meat nearly every week. closest location finally has a nice world foods and organic section which is fun to look around.

Cash Wise-- I love their organic section, good prices but frustratingly slow cashiers and poor customer service so don't shop there anymore.

Coborn's -- pricey, limited choices, same company as Cash Wise

Byerley's-- high class grocery store, carpeted aisles, pricey, very nice deli department.

Sam's Club-- get better deals at Cub but do buy a few things here.

I move end of May to Mpls/St Paul area:
Cub Foods-- every neighborhood has one :teeth: They take expired coupons up to three months back (some suburb locations up to four months back) so I find TONS of good deals!!
Byerley's
Super Valu -- small neighborhood stores, pricey, some double coupons 50 and under.
Super Target -- in suburbs, one will open this summer near my new apartment, love the internet store coupons to combine with other coupons = FREE stuff!
Rainbow Foods (owned by Roundy's)-- recently have had VERY good deals and doubles five $1 and under coupons with $25 purchase on Wednesdays.
Sam's Club
Aldi's-- wasn't impressed when I took a peek, local stores have about same prices unless buying pre packaged stuff for parties or treats.

Looking forward to getting into the bargain shopping again :love:

pjshaff
04-21-2006, 07:09 PM
I bet we're in the same area, I have the same stores and I just heard earlier this week that Trader Joe's is coming and I'm so excited! I want to eat healthy, but Whole Foods is just ridiculously expensive. I hope Trader Joe's gives them a run for their money! Right now I alternate between Aldi's and Publix, but when I'm in a Super Target or warehouse club I'll pick up those items that I know are cheaper there.

We're in the North Cobb area...one of the girls at work raves about TJ's says the bulk of their stuff is great. I do like Whole Foods for the produce, but the drive there isn't worth it unless I'm in the area.

luvnmy2bys
04-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Part of my job involves working with grocery stores around the nation. Some of the names crack me up! I'd love to know who shops at an H.E. Butt, Jitney Jungle, or King Sooper's store. :teeth:[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes1
I admit it. I am a H.E.Butt shopper. More commonly just called HEB around these parts. We also have
Central Market (think Whole Foods)
Albertsons
Randalls
Fiesta
Super Walmart
Greatland Target

I am sure there are more but can't think of them at the moment.

luvnmy2bys

ImprovGal
04-21-2006, 10:10 PM
Most of you have a ton of choices compared to Rhode Island.

We have

Stop & Shop
BJ's
Shaw's
Shore's (a chain of 2 markets)
Eastside Market Place (very expensive)
Brigido's IGA Marketplace
Dave's Marketplace

No Super Walmart or Super Targets here.

From looking at your supermarket list, I'm guessing you're in the NW part of the state. There actually IS a Walmart Supercenter in Rhode Island, but it's in Westerly.

For all the non-Rhode Islanders:
Rhode Island is a state approximately 40x60 miles in area. Westerly is as far south as you can get on rte's 95 & rte 2 before crossing into Pawcatuck, CT. If a Rhode Islander has to travel more than 1/2 hr to anywhere, it becomes a day trip and requires packing a magazine and some snacks. Travel from East Bay to West Bay? Well, that requires crossing a bridge or two and then you're talking a weekend vacation. ;)

~Kathie
04-21-2006, 10:43 PM
From looking at your supermarket list, I'm guessing you're in the NW part of the state. There actually IS a Walmart Supercenter in Rhode Island, but it's in Westerly.

Correct.......I live near the Scituate/Smithfield Line. They recently built a Target at the Crossings in Smithfield. They really missed the boat by not making that location a Super Target. Stop & Shop is the monopoly here.

They were talking about putting a Walmart in Johnston but there is one in Cranston right down the road. There used to be a market (RoJacks) next to the Cranston Walmart that went out of business. Walmart should just expand, they have the space. :confused3

For all the non-Rhode Islanders:
Rhode Island is a state approximately 40x60 miles in area. Westerly is as far south as you can get on rte's 95 & rte 2 before crossing into Pawcatuck, CT. If a Rhode Islander has to travel more than 1/2 hr to anywhere, it becomes a day trip and requires packing a magazine and some snacks. Travel from East Bay to West Bay? Well, that requires crossing a bridge or two and then you're talking a weekend vacation. ;)

Ain't THAT the truth!!! :rotfl2:

ncbyrne
04-22-2006, 07:38 AM
Acme
A&P
ShopRite (where I shop most often)
Stop and Shop
Pathmark
Wegman's
Kings
There's also Trader Joe's and Aldi's, and we do have a local Walmart, Target, BJs, Costco, but I would never consider them on a regular basis for groceries

luv2nascar
04-22-2006, 07:54 AM
I have probably within 10 miles of me:

Wegmans
Redner's
SuperWalmart
Sam's club
Giant PA
Shop Rite
Stop & Shop
Aldi's
Save a lot
Weis

I prefer Shop Rite mostly because they double a $.75 coupon to $1.50
I can save a ton with coupons. Its all about the free and cheap after coupons. :lmao: