PDA

View Full Version : Retirement gift for teacher-any ideas?

chalex
04-20-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi,

My childs 'gifted' teacher is retiring next week and I would like to get her a little something. She has sort of been pushed out but she has been suffering with some health problems recently so it is probably a good thing for her. I know she is going to miss the children terribly.She has invited them all over to her house this summer to swim. The staff are doing cake and punch afterschool one day. My DD (9) is real upset about her leaving.

Any teachers or others with suggestions as to a special gift?
I thought about maybe a tree because every year it will grow just like my dd or maybe hitting the pottery studio and having dd paint something special (but what?)

Thanks for any help.

Angie

rdsx28
04-20-2006, 04:07 PM
I have seen two really nice things done for teachers. Someone made a teddy bear at a pottery shop and wrote Mrs. Smith's Class and the date and then had all the kids in the class sign it it was too cute. The other idea was we had a mom in the class that sewed and each student made a square and we made a beautiful quilt.The teacher loved it so much she cried . It was a truly special gift. Good Luck!

mlwear
04-20-2006, 04:59 PM
:thumbsup2 A tree! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:
When I started reading your post, I was thinking "a tree" and then I read further and it is on your list!
We did that in the past for a teacher retiring and it was loved. :love:
I know even around my yard, I have trees that we have planted and from time to time when I see them, I think of picking out the tree as a family. I remember how small it was when we planted it and then compare it to how tall it is now. Just like my kids are growing up.
A tree is a gift that is loved for years.

spiceycat
04-20-2006, 05:05 PM
an album with pictures of all the kids - and maybe something that each child drew, wrote or colored?

mommytotwo
04-20-2006, 05:08 PM
I like the tree idea, or how about a windchime. Since spring is here so is the nice spring breezes, when she hears her windchime, she will think of your daughter and the other students. It will be something that she won't have to worry about and can leave outside all year long.
A handpainted bird house would also be nice.

Shelby5514
04-20-2006, 05:09 PM
I just made a DVD for my boss that was retiring after 40 years. I went around and took photo's of all the employees, gathered a bunch of old photo's of past employees (that left on good terms or were promoted) and put together a slide show with music. It was a HUGE hit at his party, I had to keep replaying it over and over for everyone. He told me of all the gifts he'd received it was the one he will cherish the most, and it cost me all of about a dollar to put it together.

waltdisneyworlddreamer
04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Not sure how it started, but for the past 10 years+, we always buy a rocking chair for our retirees, usually the kind you see at Cracker Barrell. We all chip in a little money and present it to them on their last day of work. :)