PDA

View Full Version : Disney for $0 (long story)

MossMan
04-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Here’s a story I thought I would pass on.

My cousin adores Disney. If she has her way, she takes her family to Orlando at least once a year.

However, 3 years ago she and her husband bought a house. That was OK. What wasn’t OK were all the unexpected problems they found with the place. In the end they had to take out a major loan and max out their credit cards to get everything fixed. So she and her husband came to a difficult decision for them. No Disney holidays (or any holidays) until the loan and credit cards were paid off.

Like I said, that was three years ago. They still have 2 years to go before they will be free from this unexpected debt. But as you can imagine, my cousin is starting to miss Disney something bad.

Four weeks ago she was over for dinner and I got to talking to her about Disney’s free dining plan. My cousin had no idea that Disney did this and was fascinated by the idea of it. (She was also surprised with the magical express they now offer) She asked me a few questions and had me help her go online and take a look how much it would cost to bring her family (two pre-teen boys) – really she was daydreaming more than anything. With late August dates we found very cheap airfares. Combine this with a Value Resort stay, the dining plan and some strict budgeting and we figured the 4 of them could go for a week for $2,600 inclusive of everything. The problem, though, was this was about $2,600 more than she could afford.

I didn’t think anything more of about this. But last week she gave me a call and told me what she had been up to. I guess this trip was all she could think about. So she decided to see if there was anyway she could swing it.

First off she dug out some airfare dollars she had earned but forgotten about. She and her family had consented to take a later flight when her flight was overbooked. Each coupon is worth $100 and she has 4 of them.

Then she finally decided to count all her change. She has been colleting change since college. She always knew she would use it for something special and now was the time to break into it. It took her an entire weekend even with a coin sorter, but it was worth it when she came up with $900.

So now she’s up to $1,300 – halfway there. So she really starts to think. Then she remembered the watches. Our grandfather collected watches. When our Grandmother passed away, my cousin got 5 of the watches. There’s no way she would ever sell 4 of them, but the fifth watch doesn't really fit the collection. It’s big and gaudy and ugly and no one likes it. So she decided to get it appraised and maybe get a few dollars for it. Then what do you know, it turns out the fake looking gems are real and it’s worth $1,000 retail. The guy at the jewelry store offered her $800 for it and she took it.

So now she is just $500 short.

This is where I was able to come in. Before my cousin bought a house, she and her husband purchased a pretty nice trailer. It so happens that I need a trailer for 4 or 5 weekends over the next few months (my daughter’s softball team will compete in a bunch of tournaments.). So I offered $500 for the use of their trailer for these weekends – which is a great deal for me. She hemmed and hawed for about half a second before happily accepting.

So there it was, a Disney trip without spending any cash or borrowing any money. She got the money together and booked the trip.

I was just talking to her and she told me about telling her family. She got her family together on Easter and told them the Easter Bunny had brought them a week in Orlando. Of course her boys go crazy. Her husband, though, is fuming. He figured she had broken their word to each other and put the whole trip on their credit cards. But when she told him what she had done he pretty disolved in a pool of tears. I guess he was missing his trips to Disney as well.

lisajl
04-19-2006, 05:25 PM
That is :wizard: (magical)

KJSJpipe
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Thats great for your cousin. Now she can hold on for a few more years until all the debt is paid off and they can go with out sweating all the details.
pixiedust:

pearlieq
04-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Oh my goodness!

What an amazing story! I hope they have a ball!!! :thumbsup2

englishteacha
04-19-2006, 05:35 PM
How great that she was able to "find" the money to go! :)

CheapMom
04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
That is a beautiful thing! Good for them!

Pixiedust34
04-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I hope they have a magical trip! pixiedust:

babiesX2
04-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Disney really is magical. pixiedust:

rcpae
04-19-2006, 05:50 PM
I'm soooo happy for them!! This brightened my day.

anewvance
04-19-2006, 06:02 PM
What a fantastic story, thanks for sharing with us. I hope she has the best trip, tons of pixie dust her way.

JuneChickie
04-19-2006, 06:10 PM
What a wonderful ,, wonderful ,, story .....

It made my *heart* feel so good.

I hope they have the best time ever !!!! :cheer2:

pixiedust:

DawnM
04-19-2006, 06:11 PM
I am sorry to say that even if I found money, DH would never agree to spending it while we still had a loan out. I guess in some ways that is good, but honestly sometimes he can suck the fun right out of life (what I get for marrying an accountant!)

Hope she has a wonderful time.

Dawn

MossMan
04-19-2006, 06:17 PM
I am sorry to say that even if I found money, DH would never agree to spending it while we still had a loan out. I guess in some ways that is good, but honestly sometimes he can suck the fun right out of life (what I get for marrying an accountant!)

Dawn
That's funny you should say that Dawn. My cousin actually felt the same way. Her husband has almost been obsessive about paying down these debts.

But that's one reason why she raised the money and booked the trip without his knowledge. She knew if she had brought the money to him, he would have argued to put it agains their debts. This way she was able to present the trip as a done deal. In the end, I think that is why he ended up being so accepting. What else could he do.

mtblujeans
04-19-2006, 07:13 PM
This is a great story! Pass along a couple of freebies to your cousin: Play the Disney Everest Game (http://www.disneyeverest.com) and get a certificate for a free picture of the family on the ride; don't forget the free Disney Visa character picture, too. :sunny:

jennifer293
04-19-2006, 07:25 PM
I think that is wonderful..Disney is such a magical place!!!

If it were me though I think my greedy side may have kicked in and said hmmmm...that ugly watch is worth 1000 now if I keep it I wonder how much it will be worth in say 5 , 10, 15 years.... :rotfl: But that is just me because I am a freak like that...LOL I am glad she chose Disney though!!!

thelionqueen
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Great story! Everyone asks me how we can afford to go to Disney 2 or 3X per year, and almost all the things you've listed, we do.

I also have 2 garage sales yearly which net about $1500.00. I buy all clothes off season (for example I just bought the boys their school clothes last week) I buy toys and christmas stuff when it is 75-90%off. I clip coupons, I drive an older model car (still runs/looks great), do rewards programs and basically skimp on everything else but our trips to Disney.

All of our trips are paid almost entirely by skimping and saving which makes them even more magical! :wizard:

Chris
04-19-2006, 07:45 PM
Good for her! I hope she has a magical time! :)

barbeml
04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Wow!!! If I was on a roll like that, I might just buy me a lottery ticket!

Great story. That is going to be one extra magical trip! pixiedust:

mickeymousemom
04-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Wow. What a great story! I duly believe they were sorely entitled to a nice family vacation! Now this has me thinking about how I can do similar things to pay for our October trip! Best wishes to them... :wizard:

mello
04-19-2006, 08:24 PM
What an inspiring story! I hope they have the best trip ever!!! :wizard:

patsal
04-19-2006, 09:09 PM
That is such a sweet story. I wish them a fabulous vacation. It is the things we work hardest for that make us the happiest!

NJOYURLIFE
04-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Glad your cousin can get her Disney fix in. With such a magical start it is bound to be a very magical trip.

jenr812
04-19-2006, 10:06 PM
What a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing it here. I hope they have a magical time - how could they not? :)

BrittnTylersMom
04-19-2006, 10:17 PM
That's Great!! :thumbsup2

I'm sure they'll have a wonderful time! :wizard:

1stWDWtrip
04-20-2006, 12:32 AM
This is truly an amazing story! I think it is wonderful that she was able to "find" all of this money and not have to go into debt even further. What a great surprise on Easter too. Way to go!!

pixiedust: :shamrock:

I bet that since the trip was more or less free, that it will be even better than the other trips!

2angelsinheaven
04-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Wow, how cool! I got a teary eye when I read the last line about her husband. I hope they have a wonderful time!

Goldmoon1380
04-20-2006, 03:18 AM
this is such an amazing story. I am a firm believer that good things happen to good people. I hope they have a great vacation!

DawnM
04-20-2006, 05:32 AM
Ah, yeah, we don't do things like that. If he is ok with it, that is great, my DH would be very upset and I would be upset with him if he did something that major without discussing it with me first.

BUT, I will say that I might be able to co-erse it anyway. We are leaving Saturday for Disney and this trip was one that DH felt we didn't have the funds for. I showed him that I did have some $$ available and he agreed. He isn't a bad guy at all, just trying to keep our finances in order.

I hope they have a wonderful time.

Dawn

That's funny you should say that Dawn. My cousin actually felt the same way. Her husband has almost been obsessive about paying down these debts.

But that's one reason why she raised the money and booked the trip without his knowledge. She knew if she had brought the money to him, he would have argued to put it agains their debts. This way she was able to present the trip as a done deal. In the end, I think that is why he ended up being so accepting. What else could he do.

Disneynutbsv
04-20-2006, 07:16 AM
What a great story!!! Where are they staying while they are there? I hope they have a blast, it sounds like they've earned it:)

aka-mad4themouse
04-20-2006, 07:33 AM
I think that it's awesome that your cousin was able to find ways to make this trip happen. How great it must feel to know that she is able to pull it all together and still have no impact on their regular finances! It just goes to show that with creative thinking, it is possble to make a Disney vacation happen. Kuddos to your cousin!

DJT
04-20-2006, 07:53 AM
A truly wonderful story. Thanks for sharing. This will be one special trip for them!

molly2004
04-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Wow! What a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing!

hollyb
04-20-2006, 08:14 AM
Very very sneaky and very very SMART!!!!! Everyone needs a vacation now and then. I hope they a have wonderful time!!!! :cheer2:

KTSMOM
04-20-2006, 08:14 AM
What a wonderful turn of events for her! I'm sure this will be remembered as one of her most magical trips ever!

mickeyfan2
04-20-2006, 09:24 AM
What a magical story.

cindercopper
04-20-2006, 10:51 AM
How wonderful!

Cindi0511
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
How wonderful and exciting!! And I'm so very thankful her husband is willing and being a great guy, too. Paying down debt can be a super hard thing to do, and it's easy to forget to take time to smell the flowers sometimes. What a tenacious and thoughtful person! Hugs and lots of pixie dust!!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Princess Glenda
04-20-2006, 01:11 PM
What a great story! Guess it goes to show that... Where there's a will there's a WAY!!! I hope they have a wonderful time!

crisi
04-20-2006, 01:36 PM

Dawn

I'm the same as your husband. Not surprisingly, I'm in school (again, I'm 40) to become an accountant. $900 in the change jar is $900 to debt repayment, and we can make up that $900 AFTER we meet the priorities we've agreed to. And we'd have big problems in our marriage if my husband went behind my back and booked it.

I'm glad its working for her, though. And agree, she should have a wonderful time.

(And it sounds like the OP was very generous in their trailer rental... that's was nice of them.)

barbmouse
04-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Now this story really added some magic to my day! :wizard: Thanks for sharing. Pixie dust to your cousin and family!!

westjones
04-20-2006, 03:48 PM
This story was so touching! It made my day! I hope they have a magical trip.
DJ

Shelby5514
04-20-2006, 05:00 PM
What was that old saying? Where's there's a will, there's a way! Now turn her on to ebay for some spending $$$.

DisneyGirl83
04-20-2006, 06:11 PM
This story was so great..I hope they have a wonderful time!!!

lauraljp
04-20-2006, 07:02 PM
This is the first thing that popped into my mind when I heard this story--

:tink:
When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are
Anything your heart desires will come to you

If your heart is in your dreams, no request is too extreme
When you wish upon a star as dreamers do

(Fate is kind, she brings to those who love
The sweet fulfillment of their secret longing)

Like a bolt out of the blue, fate steps in and sees you thru
When you wish upon a star, your dreams come true :tink:

Hope they have a magical trip!

APB513
04-20-2006, 09:57 PM
What a wonderful story. I'm so happy for your cousin. I hope she and her family have a fabulous time at WDW!!

bettyann29
04-20-2006, 11:22 PM
Thanks for sharing her story!! I got goosebumps when I read it.. Truly magical.. :wizard:

Alice28
04-20-2006, 11:28 PM
That's so wonderful!

Aneylii
04-21-2006, 04:26 PM
What an awesome story :banana:

Thanks for sharing!

Helene
04-21-2006, 04:34 PM
I think I will plan a surprise for my family next year. I always include DH in my obsessive vacation planning, I think he (and the kids) would love to be surprised.

Thanks for sharing!!

Helene

isyt
04-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Okay I know I am tired but this has me tearing up :grouphug: !! I hope they have a pixie dust filled vacation pixiedust: !! It sounds like they deserve it and I think there story has inspired many of us to look at our extra money (including me) that we think we don't have.

Littlemotherhaywood
04-22-2006, 08:31 AM
What a wonderful story:)

threeboysmom
04-22-2006, 09:06 AM
This story made me cry this morning, Thanks so much for sharing! I hope your cousin and her family have a magical trip this summer! :goodvibes

Luv2Roam
04-22-2006, 09:15 AM
That is great. Lowering debt is certainly important. But so is enjoying life with your kids! :cheer2: You never know what tomorrow will bring.

Third times a charm
04-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Your cousin's story is a great one, thanks for sharing it with all of us!!

I'll have to check my change jar, but I'm thinking DH has been raiding it alot lately for vending machine money for work! :confused3

I know, I'll start another change jar somewhere he won't think of!! :rotfl:

xpor2geechica69x
04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Here’s a story I thought I would pass on.

My cousin adores Disney. If she has her way, she takes her family to Orlando at least once a year.

However, 3 years ago she and her husband bought a house. That was OK. What wasn’t OK were all the unexpected problems they found with the place. In the end they had to take out a major loan and max out their credit cards to get everything fixed. So she and her husband came to a difficult decision for them. No Disney holidays (or any holidays) until the loan and credit cards were paid off.

Like I said, that was three years ago. They still have 2 years to go before they will be free from this unexpected debt. But as you can imagine, my cousin is starting to miss Disney something bad.

Four weeks ago she was over for dinner and I got to talking to her about Disney’s free dining plan. My cousin had no idea that Disney did this and was fascinated by the idea of it. (She was also surprised with the magical express they now offer) She asked me a few questions and had me help her go online and take a look how much it would cost to bring her family (two pre-teen boys) – really she was daydreaming more than anything. With late August dates we found very cheap airfares. Combine this with a Value Resort stay, the dining plan and some strict budgeting and we figured the 4 of them could go for a week for $2,600 inclusive of everything. The problem, though, was this was about $2,600 more than she could afford.

I didn’t think anything more of about this. But last week she gave me a call and told me what she had been up to. I guess this trip was all she could think about. So she decided to see if there was anyway she could swing it.

First off she dug out some airfare dollars she had earned but forgotten about. She and her family had consented to take a later flight when her flight was overbooked. Each coupon is worth $100 and she has 4 of them.

Then she finally decided to count all her change. She has been colleting change since college. She always knew she would use it for something special and now was the time to break into it. It took her an entire weekend even with a coin sorter, but it was worth it when she came up with $900.

So now she’s up to $1,300 – halfway there. So she really starts to think. Then she remembered the watches. Our grandfather collected watches. When our Grandmother passed away, my cousin got 5 of the watches. There’s no way she would ever sell 4 of them, but the fifth watch doesn't really fit the collection. It’s big and gaudy and ugly and no one likes it. So she decided to get it appraised and maybe get a few dollars for it. Then what do you know, it turns out the fake looking gems are real and it’s worth $1,000 retail. The guy at the jewelry store offered her $800 for it and she took it.

So now she is just $500 short.

This is where I was able to come in. Before my cousin bought a house, she and her husband purchased a pretty nice trailer. It so happens that I need a trailer for 4 or 5 weekends over the next few months (my daughter’s softball team will compete in a bunch of tournaments.). So I offered $500 for the use of their trailer for these weekends – which is a great deal for me. She hemmed and hawed for about half a second before happily accepting.

So there it was, a Disney trip without spending any cash or borrowing any money. She got the money together and booked the trip.

I was just talking to her and she told me about telling her family. She got her family together on Easter and told them the Easter Bunny had brought them a week in Orlando. Of course her boys go crazy. Her husband, though, is fuming. He figured she had broken their word to each other and put the whole trip on their credit cards. But when she told him what she had done he pretty disolved in a pool of tears. I guess he was missing his trips to Disney as well.

WOW That is awesome. That is a magical store. I am so glad to hear that things worked out so good for them. Another thing is the fact that this trip came together the way it did is going to make the trip alot more special and ever more magical.. Tell them all to have fun.. :teeth:

Making_Memories
04-22-2006, 01:30 PM
Even though some have said they should have put the new "found" money towards their debt.....I think that the 5 years they agreed to no vacations is way too many years out of your childrens lives to not vacation, especially to Disney! I noticed they are preteen boys the OP mentioned. In a few more years Disney with mom and dad might not be as "cool". I say go for it now as these years and memories they will have from the trip are truly priceless.

MossMan
04-22-2006, 11:58 PM
Even though some have said they should have put the new "found" money towards their debt.....I think that the 5 years they agreed to no vacations is way too many years out of your childrens lives to not vacation, especially to Disney! I noticed they are preteen boys the OP mentioned. In a few more years Disney with mom and dad might not be as "cool". I say go for it now as these years and memories they will have from the trip are truly priceless.
I agree with this poster. So I don't want to leave the impression that my cousin and her husband had forsaken all holidays. This isn't the case at all.

They had just decided to forgoe any expensive vacations. They still go camping a lot. And though they might not get to Disney as often as my cousin would like, those boys really aren't missing anything. Their summers are spent fishing, canoeing and hiking. If you are an 12 or 10 year old boy, trust me when I say this is just about as good and spending your holidays at a theme park.