PDA

View Full Version : 5% Cashback from Discover on gas

Muushka
04-19-2006, 06:55 AM
As the title says, but you have to sign up for it.

I have finally gotten the MasterCard with the 5% cashback on gas, drugs and groceries. I can't believe I waited this long to get that card, but it is in the process, so I signed up for the Discover until it gets here.

I didn't realize that the Discover card has a period of time (anniversary date) when the rebate dips down to .25% for everything. Therefore, I will only be using Discover where I cannot use anything else (Sams Club). I used to use it for everything, but then I realized that even at Walmart it only rebates to .25% all the time (like at Sams).

BethR
04-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Thank you so much for posting this info. I always forget to check on these specials even though I go on the website at least once a month to pay my bill.

I do use the Citibank card but I am going to use the Discover Card for gas through June since the Citibank has a $300 per year Rewards Bonus and I will reach that soon.

I agree with you about Discover's tiered Rewards program. That is why I only use it at places like Sam's where I can't use any other card and whenever they have these kind of offers. :)

Muushka
04-19-2006, 10:13 AM
That is a good point about the Citibank's $300 max and to use Discover when possible (provided the cashback is great! :thumbsup2 ).

Thank you!

Yup, the Budget Board rocks!

Katie
04-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Could you explain the Discover reduced rate thing? I don't get it!

Thanks,
Katie

BethR
04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Hi Katie!

Well, I am not sure of the specifics, but with Discover, you don't automatically earn 1% back on every purchase. I think that they always say "UP to 1% Cash Back." The percentage is based upon the total amount that you have charged in the 12 months since your Anniversary date. So it is SOMETHING like this:

If you have charged $1000 since your Anniversary Date, you get .25% on purchases.

If you have charged $2500 since your Anniversary Date, you get .5% on purchases.

The more you charge, the higher your Cash Back - up to 1%. Then it is reset on your Anniversary Date.

Perhaps someone else knows the particulars of the program. I have never learned them myself since I don't use my Discover much - except for Sam's and these special promotions. :)