PDA

View Full Version : She Decided on a School

BethR
04-18-2006, 10:29 PM
For anyone who might remember, our second oldest was interviewing at various schools to become a Physician's Assistant. She has finally decided that she will go to Duke. A great school for the discipline. Far from home. And far from her DBF who will be attending school for law at Syracuse.

Just thought that some of you would be interested.

Caradana
04-18-2006, 11:14 PM
Very cool! I love ambitious girls. :) What do you think might happen with her and DBF?

BethR
04-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Very cool! I love ambitious girls. :) Nice to see you 'round these parts. :)
We love what she has decided. She had to go through 2 1/2 years of undergrad school to be satisfied with the fact the she COULD get into med school - but she did not WANT to go to med school. We know that being a PA will be a wonderful career for her. :)

What do you think might happen with her and DBF?
She has been going with him since she was a senior in HS - so almost 6 years now. She asked her older sister this afternoon to convince DBF that they should get engaged before they both go off to school. :) Marriage is definately in their future (if they can survive being apart for a couple more years again like they were while they were in undergrad school). But it looks like it will be after he graduates from law school in 3 years. The reason that it took DD so long to make a decision on schools is because they were PRAYING that they could at least be in the same city while they were in schools. But yesterday they found out that it was not going to happen. :(

It will not be easy. But if it is meant to be...

Forevryoung
04-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Yay, for decisions! :woohoo: I had to make mine too.

I will be at Penn State for my Masters in Speech Language Pathology. It's a great program but it's in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE. I am definitely not used to that (grew up on Long Island and then went to Undergrad right outside of Washington DC).

You are right, its just 2 or 2.5 years left till I'm done and I can't wait.

I wish your daughter the best of luck. May we get through Hell swiftly and easily :thumbsup2

DawnM
04-19-2006, 06:05 AM
Congratulations and welcome her to NC for me.

Dawn

my3kids
04-19-2006, 06:09 AM
Great school and great career choice!

aka-mad4themouse
04-19-2006, 07:23 AM
Congratulations to you and her, Beth! You must be so proud of her! And you deserve a pat on the back, too, for raising such a strong and independent woman. She's chosen a great career path and an excellent school to get her training. The best of luck to her!

Debbie
04-19-2006, 07:26 AM
Congratulations to your DD, Beth. I know how hard it is when our chicks are far away from home. :grouphug: to everyone! It sounds like a wonderful opportunity for her. :thumbsup2

CheapMom
04-19-2006, 07:28 AM
Great choice! Congratulations!

LauraR
04-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Wow! She must be a very smart girl---that's an excellent school! Congratulations!

snowbunny
04-19-2006, 08:56 AM
PA is a great career, and with a degree from Duke, the sky is the limit. Congratulations, you must be very proud of your intelligent daughter.:thumbsup2

BethR
04-19-2006, 09:50 AM
Thank you all for your kind words.
You are all so right, Bill and I are SO proud! I have been thinking of the song from "The Sound of Music" -

Something Good

Nothing comes from nothing
Nothing ever could
So somewhere in my youth or childhood
I must have done something good

(Kinda teary and emotional right now.)

You should have seen this girl yesterday when we went to the hospital to see her Grandpa in the ER and then eventually the ICU. She stepped right up and started "overseeing" his care, to watching and interpreting the numbers on the monitors for us, to commmunicating with the medical professionals, to calming and caring for Bill's dad. Bill's brother was so impressed and I think very grateful. And we were ... proud.

She has chosen the right path. She is going to be a wonderful PA. ::yes::

~Kathie
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Congratualtions to all of you. :thumbsup2

kfeuer
04-19-2006, 12:08 PM
That's terrific news! Thought you might like to hear the latest issue of Money magazine has a list of the 50 best professions, and PA was high on the list. It sounds like a great job for a woman, because they don't have to work the crazy hours a lot of MD's do (assuming she wants a family someday). Anyway, congrats!

BethR
04-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Thought you might like to hear the latest issue of Money magazine has a list of the 50 best professions, and PA was high on the list. I will have to tell her about this. (Was pharmacist on the list too? That is what our oldest is, as you probably know by now. )

It sounds like a great job for a woman, because they don't have to work the crazy hours a lot of MD's do (assuming she wants a family someday). Anyway, congrats!

That is exactly the reason why she went for PA rather than MD. ::yes:: Plus the fact that she will be in the work force at least 4 years earlier than if she went to med school (2 more years of med school plus residency).

kfeuer
04-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I will have to tell her about this. (Was pharmacist on the list too? That is what our oldest is, as you probably know by now. )

Yes, pharmacist was also high on the list. Your children have chosen their career paths well! Your kids should be able to pick you out a nice retirement home someday :lmao:

Pixiedust34
04-19-2006, 02:59 PM
My cousin recently graduated from Pitt and is a Physician Assistant. He likes the job a lot.

All the best to your dd as she begins a new stage of her life. All of the best to her boyfriend, too.

BTW, I was in your neck of the wood a few weeks ago, visiting my parents. :goodvibes